Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [RESULTS] What's your gender?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@Kyrtian Yeah 26%! 84 nonbinary people! :D

I'm not sure whether nonbinary people shared the link with their more-likely-to-be-nonbinary friends, or maybe nonbinary people just like filling in surveys about gender that don't erase them, but whatever - there's lots of us and that is the main thing. :D

I did a similar survey in two different and totally unrelated subreddits, and in both 16% of the respondents were nonbinary. So yeah, when nonbinary genders are represented on forms, at least online there are a lot more of us than people realise.

It reminds me of how there are more bisexuals than gay men and lesbians put together in most surveys, but no one realises because they are invisible; people see them in a relationship and perceive that they're either gay or straight depending on who they're with at the time. We go around putting people in gender-binary boxes, and if 10%+ of the people we meet are nonbinary but they just can't be bothered to come out to everyone, or they are happy with gendered pronouns, etc etc. then naturally they'd be pretty invisible to us. We're all so thoroughly conditioned and entrenched in the binary everywhere but online, where it's normal to ask for gender (and even sometimes pronoun) info.
@Kyrtian Yeah 26%! 84 nonbinary people! :D

I'm not sure whether nonbinary people shared the link with their more-likely-to-be-nonbinary friends, or maybe nonbinary people just like filling in surveys about gender that don't erase them, but whatever - there's lots of us and that is the main thing. :D

I did a similar survey in two different and totally unrelated subreddits, and in both 16% of the respondents were nonbinary. So yeah, when nonbinary genders are represented on forms, at least online there are a lot more of us than people realise.

It reminds me of how there are more bisexuals than gay men and lesbians put together in most surveys, but no one realises because they are invisible; people see them in a relationship and perceive that they're either gay or straight depending on who they're with at the time. We go around putting people in gender-binary boxes, and if 10%+ of the people we meet are nonbinary but they just can't be bothered to come out to everyone, or they are happy with gendered pronouns, etc etc. then naturally they'd be pretty invisible to us. We're all so thoroughly conditioned and entrenched in the binary everywhere but online, where it's normal to ask for gender (and even sometimes pronoun) info.
dNCLmdm.png
UK; sleeping 4pm-2am FRT // Pronouns: they/them // Feedback
~
Signature generator // Calendar of flight festivals until Sept 2019
[quote name="Kyrtian" date="2014-10-27 15:11:53"] @thedarkfiddler I've been thinking it's because Flight Rising seems to mostly get shared around social justice-y parts of Tumblr. That's where everyone seems to come from. Also personally I joined because I knew there were a ton of non-binary people from looking at the forums - I assume people also go around telling others about that? So once there are a certain number of non-binary people I think it just keeps spreading.[/quote] I definitely think that's a big part of it! I, personally, was considering joining upon the suggestion of a wonderful trans girl I follow on Tumblr (not a nonbinary person, BUT personally someone I trust to promote safe spaces, ya feel?), and convinced by nonbinary datemate. And I definitely know that most nonbinary folk find a lot of other nonbinary people (online, at the least) to befriend, which means if we're getting into it, we're gonna share it with our friends, and they're going to come! :) I'm not at all surprised, but I am very happy! I'm honestly really excited that there are so many of us here. Plus, for some reason, I know a LOT of nonbinary people who love games like this, and who love dragons. Which makes this like, a perfect website for those of us who do.
Kyrtian wrote on 2014-10-27 15:11:53:

@thedarkfiddler I've been thinking it's because Flight Rising seems to mostly get shared around social justice-y parts of Tumblr. That's where everyone seems to come from. Also personally I joined because I knew there were a ton of non-binary people from looking at the forums - I assume people also go around telling others about that? So once there are a certain number of non-binary people I think it just keeps spreading.

I definitely think that's a big part of it! I, personally, was considering joining upon the suggestion of a wonderful trans girl I follow on Tumblr (not a nonbinary person, BUT personally someone I trust to promote safe spaces, ya feel?), and convinced by nonbinary datemate. And I definitely know that most nonbinary folk find a lot of other nonbinary people (online, at the least) to befriend, which means if we're getting into it, we're gonna share it with our friends, and they're going to come! :)

I'm not at all surprised, but I am very happy!

I'm honestly really excited that there are so many of us here. Plus, for some reason, I know a LOT of nonbinary people who love games like this, and who love dragons. Which makes this like, a perfect website for those of us who do.
Elliott | they/them | 19
More guys than I thought! Whoo!
More guys than I thought! Whoo!
We have a breakdown of the nonbinary identities, and a more accurate set of statistics and a new more accurate pie chart!

@Kyrtian @akasafeword @WatchKeyPhone @Magnolia @thesynthlord @Rohan @thedarkfiddler @tilukonfdz @AcidStar @zanven @Eshonai @Foxofwonders @Ventous @Deerferns @LumpyPotatoes @lysaara @lizardpuke @heckhund @spaceoodity @haisesasaki @squidnt @Th13teen @Lillielle @Wrenten @peperoniebabie @GyroZeppeli @scarsula @marcobane @Odeena
We have a breakdown of the nonbinary identities, and a more accurate set of statistics and a new more accurate pie chart!

@Kyrtian @akasafeword @WatchKeyPhone @Magnolia @thesynthlord @Rohan @thedarkfiddler @tilukonfdz @AcidStar @zanven @Eshonai @Foxofwonders @Ventous @Deerferns @LumpyPotatoes @lysaara @lizardpuke @heckhund @spaceoodity @haisesasaki @squidnt @Th13teen @Lillielle @Wrenten @peperoniebabie @GyroZeppeli @scarsula @marcobane @Odeena
dNCLmdm.png
~
@Cassolotl Thanks for doing this. Very interesting stuff! Also, thanks for throwing pings. :3
@Cassolotl Thanks for doing this. Very interesting stuff! Also, thanks for throwing pings. :3
ZTexFrS.gifhOj1GEv.gif4EI5wvQ.giftVBHHyc.gifLJgs8bI.gif6Nz1UTB.gif
@Magnolia No problem! :) Thank you for your interest and support.
@Magnolia No problem! :) Thank you for your interest and support.
dNCLmdm.png
~
@Cassolotl
Thank you for the pings and for doing this survey! Those are some really interesting results. :)
@Cassolotl
Thank you for the pings and for doing this survey! Those are some really interesting results. :)
ACWh8m8.png
@Cassolotl
Thanks for the pings and for doing this survey.
Interesting results! o:
@Cassolotl
Thanks for the pings and for doing this survey.
Interesting results! o:
(they/them/their or ve/ver/vis)
9.png5.png3.png
@Cassolotl awesome! :D
@Cassolotl awesome! :D
14 other gender-fluid people! Woo~~ You have no idea how happy this makes me :D
14 other gender-fluid people! Woo~~ You have no idea how happy this makes me :D
Header.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10