Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | NaNoWriMo!
1 2 3 4 5
I'm in :) it's my first time doing it this year on top of first year of uni ;.; so I'm probably going to end up pantsing it lmao. I'm currently planning on doing a modern-day supernatural thing (so original I know) but I'm still fleshing everything out.
I'm in :) it's my first time doing it this year on top of first year of uni ;.; so I'm probably going to end up pantsing it lmao. I'm currently planning on doing a modern-day supernatural thing (so original I know) but I'm still fleshing everything out.
@Rumy I'm definitely a planner too - I can't get anything done without at least a vague outline.
Biopunk is a sub genre after the likes of cyberpunk, focused around genetics - whether that's used as a form of bioterrorism, body modifications of any sort, creating superheroes, or anything else really. The wikipedia page does a decent job explaining it.

@sugarlapin Good luck! And I personally will never get tired of modern day supernatural stories, so don't worry too much about being original, especially not during Nano ;)
Even if it's terrible, the point is that you stuck with it, and finished a novel. Whether that's a novel you want to do anything with or not, the amount of confidence it lends to future projects in just knowing that you can complete something of that scale - that's the important part.
@Rumy I'm definitely a planner too - I can't get anything done without at least a vague outline.
Biopunk is a sub genre after the likes of cyberpunk, focused around genetics - whether that's used as a form of bioterrorism, body modifications of any sort, creating superheroes, or anything else really. The wikipedia page does a decent job explaining it.

@sugarlapin Good luck! And I personally will never get tired of modern day supernatural stories, so don't worry too much about being original, especially not during Nano ;)
Even if it's terrible, the point is that you stuck with it, and finished a novel. Whether that's a novel you want to do anything with or not, the amount of confidence it lends to future projects in just knowing that you can complete something of that scale - that's the important part.
I'm doing Nano this year :D It's going to be my 9th year doing it, so November is now known as NaNoWriMo in my head lol

I am definitely a planner. I probably plan too much sometimes :D. It is not odd for me to have 10 to 20 pages, or more, of just notes: Characters, places, overall story, individual character stories, scenes, background info... I can not wing it, I've tried.

I gave myself little over two months to plan this year (I usually plan 1 month ahead) since the past couple of Nanos didn't go too well; long gabs of info in my notes are my down fall... especially when trying to write fast.

I tend to write Science Fiction or FanFiction, I do have one or two fantasy stories though. This year I'm doing a super hero thing, so Science Fiction? I'm hoping to break the string of losses lately, 3 years in a row, so lots and lots of planing to do lol.
I'm doing Nano this year :D It's going to be my 9th year doing it, so November is now known as NaNoWriMo in my head lol

I am definitely a planner. I probably plan too much sometimes :D. It is not odd for me to have 10 to 20 pages, or more, of just notes: Characters, places, overall story, individual character stories, scenes, background info... I can not wing it, I've tried.

I gave myself little over two months to plan this year (I usually plan 1 month ahead) since the past couple of Nanos didn't go too well; long gabs of info in my notes are my down fall... especially when trying to write fast.

I tend to write Science Fiction or FanFiction, I do have one or two fantasy stories though. This year I'm doing a super hero thing, so Science Fiction? I'm hoping to break the string of losses lately, 3 years in a row, so lots and lots of planing to do lol.
@KeeLoth I think superheroes are one of those things that could fit into any number of genres just depending on how you rationalize them in-universe. (There are a few threads for them on the fantasy boards though).

I'm hoping to break a losing streak as well. College and Nano haven't gone well together the past two years. Of course, I'm busier than ever this year, but I'm hoping to make it work anyway.
@KeeLoth I think superheroes are one of those things that could fit into any number of genres just depending on how you rationalize them in-universe. (There are a few threads for them on the fantasy boards though).

I'm hoping to break a losing streak as well. College and Nano haven't gone well together the past two years. Of course, I'm busier than ever this year, but I'm hoping to make it work anyway.
I'm intending on doing it this year...
I was gonna enter last year too, but I remembered it about half-way through the month =3 so I didn't in the end
But this year, I'm kinda determined to write something.
Just need to build my self-confidence first, 'cause otherwise, I'll wimp out =3
I'm intending on doing it this year...
I was gonna enter last year too, but I remembered it about half-way through the month =3 so I didn't in the end
But this year, I'm kinda determined to write something.
Just need to build my self-confidence first, 'cause otherwise, I'll wimp out =3
@Punkwitch cool, I just tent to associate superheroes with science fiction, but it does make since that they could be in other genres :D I'm doing a modern day setting with super powers and maybe some advanced technology.

It can be annoying when other real life stuff keep getting in the way of writing, but I'm sure we'll both be able to break that losing streak :D

@Risper You can do it! :D The first year I did Nano I didn't think it was at all possible for me to win (I'm a slow writer and had never written any thing that long before) but I did it! Just try and remember that anything you write and don't like you can edit out or rewrite later. (Says the person who hates editing and rewriting... and has yet to edit any of her 8 Nanos)

But anyway try not to let your nerves stop you and remember to have fun with it :D
@Punkwitch cool, I just tent to associate superheroes with science fiction, but it does make since that they could be in other genres :D I'm doing a modern day setting with super powers and maybe some advanced technology.

It can be annoying when other real life stuff keep getting in the way of writing, but I'm sure we'll both be able to break that losing streak :D

@Risper You can do it! :D The first year I did Nano I didn't think it was at all possible for me to win (I'm a slow writer and had never written any thing that long before) but I did it! Just try and remember that anything you write and don't like you can edit out or rewrite later. (Says the person who hates editing and rewriting... and has yet to edit any of her 8 Nanos)

But anyway try not to let your nerves stop you and remember to have fun with it :D
I'm in this year! :D

It'll be my second time doing it, though I feel a lot less prepared this time since I have zero idea what I want to write. Last time I had a very clear idea of what my story was about (lady detectives + lady thieves, crime, romance, things) and where I wanted it to go (not towards a happy ending at all) but this year I'm just like??? Something Paranormal? A Western? A Paranormal Western? Marco? Polo? I don't know.
I'm in this year! :D

It'll be my second time doing it, though I feel a lot less prepared this time since I have zero idea what I want to write. Last time I had a very clear idea of what my story was about (lady detectives + lady thieves, crime, romance, things) and where I wanted it to go (not towards a happy ending at all) but this year I'm just like??? Something Paranormal? A Western? A Paranormal Western? Marco? Polo? I don't know.
tumblr_otyh5kkff31vsg0m1o1_400.png
@Arinna [quote]Something Paranormal? A Western? A Paranormal Western? Marco? Polo?[/quote] Oh my goodness - I'm laughing so hard at this. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Or, just, end up in November and have to go with something. I'm much further behind in my planning than I want to be too, so you're not the only one. I have a concept, and literally no idea where I'm going to go with it beyond that.
@Arinna
Quote:
Something Paranormal? A Western? A Paranormal Western? Marco? Polo?

Oh my goodness - I'm laughing so hard at this. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Or, just, end up in November and have to go with something.
I'm much further behind in my planning than I want to be too, so you're not the only one. I have a concept, and literally no idea where I'm going to go with it beyond that.
Going into my 12th year of nanowrimo this year! I've been both a planner and a pantser, and right now, it's looking like I'll be the latter, since I have NO IDEA what I'm writing yet. Nothing. I'm hoping that I'll be able to brainstorm a bit when I'm proctoring the PSAT next week. I managed to plan out a story entirely during PSAT duty, and it was amazing. The planning. Sadly, the writing got a bit dry, and the ending of that one was really rushed and kind of meh. But at least I knew where I was going!

I'm hoping some of my students will do nano with me again this year. One year, I had 5 students writing, and we got permission to do after-school write-ins as an activity. Nanowrimo was on the afternoon announcements!

Seriously, though, I need to start thinking, so I don't end up staring at a blinking cursor on Nov. 1 and panicking.
Going into my 12th year of nanowrimo this year! I've been both a planner and a pantser, and right now, it's looking like I'll be the latter, since I have NO IDEA what I'm writing yet. Nothing. I'm hoping that I'll be able to brainstorm a bit when I'm proctoring the PSAT next week. I managed to plan out a story entirely during PSAT duty, and it was amazing. The planning. Sadly, the writing got a bit dry, and the ending of that one was really rushed and kind of meh. But at least I knew where I was going!

I'm hoping some of my students will do nano with me again this year. One year, I had 5 students writing, and we got permission to do after-school write-ins as an activity. Nanowrimo was on the afternoon announcements!

Seriously, though, I need to start thinking, so I don't end up staring at a blinking cursor on Nov. 1 and panicking.
noli timere tempestatem. tempestas est res pulchra. ama tempestatem et gaude in pulchritudine.
595bwIn.png
nunc, ad tuas labores reveni!
One of my best friends and her daughter are doing it this year and have asked me to "play along"-- helping to brainstorm and keep them on course, etc. I'm not going to participate myself per se, but I have a MS (from NaNo a few years ago, actually!) that I need to get off my tail and revise...I'll be working on that while they write.

I also just attended a local convention (Archon, used to be strictly SF but is now multi-media) that had, for a change, a couple of GREAT writers' panels. I usually find writing panels at cons to be pretty ho hum, but R. A. Salvatore spoke at one and gave me great encouragement afterward. At the other, a writer with whom I was unfamiliar (G. P. Ching/Genevieve Jack) gave some great advice and information about e-publishing that pretty much reset my thinking. They pretty much got me back on track to finish this darn thing. :P And NaNo's as good a time as any! :D
One of my best friends and her daughter are doing it this year and have asked me to "play along"-- helping to brainstorm and keep them on course, etc. I'm not going to participate myself per se, but I have a MS (from NaNo a few years ago, actually!) that I need to get off my tail and revise...I'll be working on that while they write.

I also just attended a local convention (Archon, used to be strictly SF but is now multi-media) that had, for a change, a couple of GREAT writers' panels. I usually find writing panels at cons to be pretty ho hum, but R. A. Salvatore spoke at one and gave me great encouragement afterward. At the other, a writer with whom I was unfamiliar (G. P. Ching/Genevieve Jack) gave some great advice and information about e-publishing that pretty much reset my thinking. They pretty much got me back on track to finish this darn thing. :P And NaNo's as good a time as any! :D
b6M3VPH.png
1 2 3 4 5