Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Hardest Boss in a Video Game?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Going extremely old school for a moment... Every boss in Fantasy Zone for the Master System. I adore that game, it's my favourite space shooter to the point where I carry a handheld copy of it in my bag, but holy bullet hell, Batman. I first picked it up in 1990 and finally beat it in 2008. o_O;

Runners-up: Cackletta from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (she's not actually that difficult, but she has so much HP that it takes a solid hour of whaling on her to wear her down) and the bear from Donald Duck's Lucky Dime Caper, another Master System game (he's the first boss of an otherwise-easy kid's game, why is he harder than every other boss combined?!).
Going extremely old school for a moment... Every boss in Fantasy Zone for the Master System. I adore that game, it's my favourite space shooter to the point where I carry a handheld copy of it in my bag, but holy bullet hell, Batman. I first picked it up in 1990 and finally beat it in 2008. o_O;

Runners-up: Cackletta from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (she's not actually that difficult, but she has so much HP that it takes a solid hour of whaling on her to wear her down) and the bear from Donald Duck's Lucky Dime Caper, another Master System game (he's the first boss of an otherwise-easy kid's game, why is he harder than every other boss combined?!).
ZSHaQMJ.gif
vDmNeIH.png
Red from Pokemon Crystal.

Red from Soul Silver

DAMN YOU, RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red from Pokemon Crystal.

Red from Soul Silver

DAMN YOU, RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aw man I'm sure as soon as I answer this I'm going to think of five more bosses who deserve this title, but for me the award goes to Memiroa of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

First just getting to this guy was hard enough, you had to make it through a dungeon that decided that it was okay to introduce poison in the final dungeon of the game, then you had to fight a three part boss which probably took maybe 20 minutes to defeat. Then you were quizzed on your memory of important events that took place throughout the game, having to fight some ridiculously cheap enemies if you got an answer wrong. Then fight another difficult boss alongside these same cheap enemies, and only then were you allowed to fight the final boss.

Of course, then the final fight utilized a stat which was technically always there but had never had any use until that point. Couple that with a Guide-dang-it moment on how to actually utilize the advantage of said stat, and attacks from the final boss which could easily halve your health.

Oh, and there was no save point during all this.

It sounds cheap but I actually quite enjoyed the years I took replaying the game and seeing just how close I could get before beating it. I was actually a bit disappointed when I finally did.

And to join in on everyone else, Red was pretty ridiculous too.
Aw man I'm sure as soon as I answer this I'm going to think of five more bosses who deserve this title, but for me the award goes to Memiroa of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

First just getting to this guy was hard enough, you had to make it through a dungeon that decided that it was okay to introduce poison in the final dungeon of the game, then you had to fight a three part boss which probably took maybe 20 minutes to defeat. Then you were quizzed on your memory of important events that took place throughout the game, having to fight some ridiculously cheap enemies if you got an answer wrong. Then fight another difficult boss alongside these same cheap enemies, and only then were you allowed to fight the final boss.

Of course, then the final fight utilized a stat which was technically always there but had never had any use until that point. Couple that with a Guide-dang-it moment on how to actually utilize the advantage of said stat, and attacks from the final boss which could easily halve your health.

Oh, and there was no save point during all this.

It sounds cheap but I actually quite enjoyed the years I took replaying the game and seeing just how close I could get before beating it. I was actually a bit disappointed when I finally did.

And to join in on everyone else, Red was pretty ridiculous too.
Ohh, this is a fun, venty sort of topic. X3

As a kid, I had a heck of a time beating Adel from Final Fantasy 8. I wasn't very good with the whole magic junction system; I think my characters were quite underpowered. I have strong memories of holing up in my room with my little TV, trying over and over again to beat her. That Meteor attack... aghkghg.

Ohh, and I can't forget the Ultimate Being from Parasite Eve. I think it has 3 forms. After you finally beat them all, there's a sequence where you have to RUN AWAY FROM IT down a bunch of twisting hallways, and if you make a wrong turn and it catches you... you're dead. Gotta fight it from the beginning. That fight got my pressure up.

Piastol from Skies of Arcadia: Legends is pretty tough, too. She hits like a truck. A fleet of trucks.
Ohh, this is a fun, venty sort of topic. X3

As a kid, I had a heck of a time beating Adel from Final Fantasy 8. I wasn't very good with the whole magic junction system; I think my characters were quite underpowered. I have strong memories of holing up in my room with my little TV, trying over and over again to beat her. That Meteor attack... aghkghg.

Ohh, and I can't forget the Ultimate Being from Parasite Eve. I think it has 3 forms. After you finally beat them all, there's a sequence where you have to RUN AWAY FROM IT down a bunch of twisting hallways, and if you make a wrong turn and it catches you... you're dead. Gotta fight it from the beginning. That fight got my pressure up.

Piastol from Skies of Arcadia: Legends is pretty tough, too. She hits like a truck. A fleet of trucks.
AZSzsEP.png13184.pngAZSzsEP.png
It's been quite a while since I've played it, but I recall one or two of the bosses from PMD: Explorers of Sky being particularly difficult. Maybe it was Dialga? I can't remember at all (time for a replay, methinks...hehe).

Also, Simon's Quest bosses. I see red every time.
It's been quite a while since I've played it, but I recall one or two of the bosses from PMD: Explorers of Sky being particularly difficult. Maybe it was Dialga? I can't remember at all (time for a replay, methinks...hehe).

Also, Simon's Quest bosses. I see red every time.
Volunteer Moderator
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising staff, not the volunteer moderator group.
XRwFykP.png

[quote name="Ankokou" date="2014-09-16 08:54:48"]I'm also surprised at the number of people saying they had trouble with the Legend of Zelda bosses. I guess to each their own, I don't remember having trouble with any of the bosses (just some of the dungeons leading up to them.) In fact the combat in those games is usually pretty easy, the challenge is in the dungeons and world design (and some really annoying timed quests.)[/quote] Most of the Zelda bosses are fairly easy to beat, but a couple stand out in my mind as especially challenging. Ganon from A Link to the Past is very rage-inducing for me, as you can easily get knocked off the platform where you fight him or run out of magic, and have to start the fight from the beginning. Also, at the final part of the battle, you only have a split second to hit him after lighting the torches, so it can be pretty difficult to finish him off. Other than that, Gyorg from Majora's Mask is a real pain in the ass. Morpha was too until I figured out you could hide from its attacks in the corner of the room. Ironically, the game with the easiest boss fights is the original Legend of Zelda.
Ankokou wrote on 2014-09-16 08:54:48:
I'm also surprised at the number of people saying they had trouble with the Legend of Zelda bosses. I guess to each their own, I don't remember having trouble with any of the bosses (just some of the dungeons leading up to them.) In fact the combat in those games is usually pretty easy, the challenge is in the dungeons and world design (and some really annoying timed quests.)
Most of the Zelda bosses are fairly easy to beat, but a couple stand out in my mind as especially challenging. Ganon from A Link to the Past is very rage-inducing for me, as you can easily get knocked off the platform where you fight him or run out of magic, and have to start the fight from the beginning. Also, at the final part of the battle, you only have a split second to hit him after lighting the torches, so it can be pretty difficult to finish him off.

Other than that, Gyorg from Majora's Mask is a real pain in the ***. Morpha was too until I figured out you could hide from its attacks in the corner of the room. Ironically, the game with the easiest boss fights is the original Legend of Zelda.
avan4t_zps7418d6bd.png
@avantgardevoir
Yeah, I would agree as a whole the 2d games had more difficult boss battles. But they were also back in the days when 'Nintendo Hard' was still going strong so maybe they just felt easier. And when I say those games are easy that (obviously) excludes the 2nd game which was a nightmare but not really part of the core series to many fans.

I don't really remember having trouble with any of the 3d ones, but I should play Majora's Mask again just for old times sake, I loved that game.

Also I can't speak for Skyward Sword, that is the first one I couldn't finish. Not due to difficulty, the only trouble I ever had was getting the controls to behave, but just how bored and annoyed I was with it. Does that game ever stop feeling like a tutorial?

I don't know why this popped into my head for this thread, not a boss but...

Anyone remember the wall challenge things from Okami? Blockheads? Where you had to place a series of dots correctly on a wall to 'defeat' it an get by?
Anyone remember the last one? Anyone else remember wanting to punch their TV and snap the disk in half? It didn't help I was already annoyed with the game by the time I reached it (I have real issues with deliberately annoying sidekicks.)

That was [explicative withheld] ridiculous. You had to be stupidly accurate with your own placement and the last challenge gives you a swarm of dots to memorize in a couple seconds.

I remember taping a piece of paper to the TV and drawing on it as they appeared. Not a boss, not really a challenge, just damn annoying. It isn't even a puzzle you can solve your way through, they were just put into the game to irritate people I swear.
It was such a horrible game mechanic the devs even made ways to bypass most of them... if you could find or google them.
@avantgardevoir
Yeah, I would agree as a whole the 2d games had more difficult boss battles. But they were also back in the days when 'Nintendo Hard' was still going strong so maybe they just felt easier. And when I say those games are easy that (obviously) excludes the 2nd game which was a nightmare but not really part of the core series to many fans.

I don't really remember having trouble with any of the 3d ones, but I should play Majora's Mask again just for old times sake, I loved that game.

Also I can't speak for Skyward Sword, that is the first one I couldn't finish. Not due to difficulty, the only trouble I ever had was getting the controls to behave, but just how bored and annoyed I was with it. Does that game ever stop feeling like a tutorial?

I don't know why this popped into my head for this thread, not a boss but...

Anyone remember the wall challenge things from Okami? Blockheads? Where you had to place a series of dots correctly on a wall to 'defeat' it an get by?
Anyone remember the last one? Anyone else remember wanting to punch their TV and snap the disk in half? It didn't help I was already annoyed with the game by the time I reached it (I have real issues with deliberately annoying sidekicks.)

That was [explicative withheld] ridiculous. You had to be stupidly accurate with your own placement and the last challenge gives you a swarm of dots to memorize in a couple seconds.

I remember taping a piece of paper to the TV and drawing on it as they appeared. Not a boss, not really a challenge, just damn annoying. It isn't even a puzzle you can solve your way through, they were just put into the game to irritate people I swear.
It was such a horrible game mechanic the devs even made ways to bypass most of them... if you could find or google them.
I'll use Okami. [img]http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-ImageFileViewer/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles-00-00-86-27-81-Attached+Files/0334.107_2800_Medium_2900_.JPG_2D00_610x0.jpg[/img] Yami is the [u]hardest boss ever[/u]. And he changes form 4 times, too! But since he's the final boss (obviously he's the hardest)... [img]http://static.flickr.com/93/247671352_13c9bb7acf_o.jpg[/img] Blight is very hard. I've beaten him, but it takes me FOREVER. I don't know why.
I'll use Okami.
0334.107_2800_Medium_2900_.JPG_2D00_610x0.jpg
Yami is the hardest boss ever. And he changes form 4 times, too! But since he's the final boss (obviously he's the hardest)...

247671352_13c9bb7acf_o.jpg
Blight is very hard. I've beaten him, but it takes me FOREVER. I don't know why.
tumblr_o23mwcXPEZ1u3wsjco6_250.png 4f4c01ec3fcd06d45834f28097a7fb2be50dc3cf.png dEo6ta2.png
nbZE1po.png
5iXiC8z.png
V7wUqxW.png
bYt72YT.png
jbMLSIO.png

nGKuPIQ.gif
@stygianzin
I have the 3ds version and have only solod HR Alatreon. Even HR Alatreon is hard, because it deals G-Rank damage.

Also phantom ganon from Ocarina of Time.
@stygianzin
I have the 3ds version and have only solod HR Alatreon. Even HR Alatreon is hard, because it deals G-Rank damage.

Also phantom ganon from Ocarina of Time.
my colors!
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
Yunalesca and the Spectral Keeper from FFX always come to mind....

@MagicIcewing
haha, and i find Blight to be the EASIEST boss in the game! with a gold powder'd up glaive, i can beat him in just a few seconds when fighting the rematch on the ark of yamato, and also in just a minute or two the first time
Yunalesca and the Spectral Keeper from FFX always come to mind....

@MagicIcewing
haha, and i find Blight to be the EASIEST boss in the game! with a gold powder'd up glaive, i can beat him in just a few seconds when fighting the rematch on the ark of yamato, and also in just a minute or two the first time
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13