Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | IS it wrong?
1 2
i was commissioning some art work, for real money, and they showed me a sketch. The character wasnt the right species, the tail was completely off, and it had no characteristics to identify that it was even my character. I told the artist this in a polite way, but i cant help feeling that it wasnt okay to do that..

Was it wrong for me to tell them the drawing didnt look like my character?
i was commissioning some art work, for real money, and they showed me a sketch. The character wasnt the right species, the tail was completely off, and it had no characteristics to identify that it was even my character. I told the artist this in a polite way, but i cant help feeling that it wasnt okay to do that..

Was it wrong for me to tell them the drawing didnt look like my character?
tumblr_inline_n6kdvbu87Y1qlye38.giftumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro5_250.giftumblr_inline_n6kdvbu87Y1qlye38.gif
@Sainler
No? I mean that is why the artist showed you the sketch. You are the one paying for it, you don't want to buying something you don't like.
@Sainler
No? I mean that is why the artist showed you the sketch. You are the one paying for it, you don't want to buying something you don't like.
i dont think so

i mean you paid them to draw your character so you should get what you paid for, plus you were polite so i dont see anything wrong with that!
i dont think so

i mean you paid them to draw your character so you should get what you paid for, plus you were polite so i dont see anything wrong with that!
goSc2L4.png
You paid them for it, that's what the sketch phase is about. As long as you arn't a dingus like some people and will almost always ask for another sketch.
You paid them for it, that's what the sketch phase is about. As long as you arn't a dingus like some people and will almost always ask for another sketch.
If you're paying them money for art, it should be what you asked for. You aren't trying to get an additional service from them (like trying to get them to throw in an extra character or background when the agreed price doesn't cover it), you are telling them what you want and expect. Besides, if they showed you the sketch before they really finish it, it should be to get your feedback so they know that everyone's on the same page before the rest of the piece is finished. If you were polite, there is nothing to worry about and you are in the right.
If you're paying them money for art, it should be what you asked for. You aren't trying to get an additional service from them (like trying to get them to throw in an extra character or background when the agreed price doesn't cover it), you are telling them what you want and expect. Besides, if they showed you the sketch before they really finish it, it should be to get your feedback so they know that everyone's on the same page before the rest of the piece is finished. If you were polite, there is nothing to worry about and you are in the right.
No, it wasn't wrong for you to tell them this. As everyone else has said it is something YOU paid for. That is the point of the sketch.

Now, I can relate to how you feel. I am not a psychologist, but I feel you may be feeling it is wrong because you don't want to offend them or slander their hard work. You don't want to be mean. Which, of course, is not what you are doing.
I feel the same way sometimes and have to remind myself that they are asking for MY opinion.
I almost did this when my grandfather was buying me a car. I didn't want to tell him I didn't like it because I felt I was being rude and mean because he went out of his way to find me the car.
But this is just me speaking. Thats just how I read your post. :)
No, it wasn't wrong for you to tell them this. As everyone else has said it is something YOU paid for. That is the point of the sketch.

Now, I can relate to how you feel. I am not a psychologist, but I feel you may be feeling it is wrong because you don't want to offend them or slander their hard work. You don't want to be mean. Which, of course, is not what you are doing.
I feel the same way sometimes and have to remind myself that they are asking for MY opinion.
I almost did this when my grandfather was buying me a car. I didn't want to tell him I didn't like it because I felt I was being rude and mean because he went out of his way to find me the car.
But this is just me speaking. Thats just how I read your post. :)
banner_by_scarlit_of_aurora-d68nxtf.png
@Sainler Shouldn't be a problem. The kind of people who cannot even take critique from their commissioners should not be asking for other peoples money, and I say that as an artist myself... sometimes, you muck up and your client aren't happy with what you draw. Then you fix it, to the best of your ability. Of course there are people who nit-pick about everything and who is never happy, wishing for a perfection that you just cannot provide and who ask you to alter it for all eternity... but as long as the commissioner is not one of those people, we as artists have an obligation, that we've accepted the moment we decided to charge money, to do a good job. You did absolutely nothing wrong.

Of course you might want to take into consideration the previous works of the artist. Some people learn a certain 'formula' for drawing, say, animals. Foxes look like miniature wolves and lions look like tigers with manes because most likely, the artist started off copying Disney or something and never went past the 'formula' way of thinking. If that bothers you, you might have to make sure the artist is capable of drawing what you ask of them. But, really, otherwise it should not be a problem :)
@Sainler Shouldn't be a problem. The kind of people who cannot even take critique from their commissioners should not be asking for other peoples money, and I say that as an artist myself... sometimes, you muck up and your client aren't happy with what you draw. Then you fix it, to the best of your ability. Of course there are people who nit-pick about everything and who is never happy, wishing for a perfection that you just cannot provide and who ask you to alter it for all eternity... but as long as the commissioner is not one of those people, we as artists have an obligation, that we've accepted the moment we decided to charge money, to do a good job. You did absolutely nothing wrong.

Of course you might want to take into consideration the previous works of the artist. Some people learn a certain 'formula' for drawing, say, animals. Foxes look like miniature wolves and lions look like tigers with manes because most likely, the artist started off copying Disney or something and never went past the 'formula' way of thinking. If that bothers you, you might have to make sure the artist is capable of drawing what you ask of them. But, really, otherwise it should not be a problem :)
It's alright to ask for changes! Especially if they're something that's far away from what you asked (like the different species thing), or if they are minor - like limbs in a different position, facial expression, rearrange some background things and so on (I'm tired after work so I don't remember other ideas).

What's not alright is being a butt who asks to redraw the whole thing because they wanted it to be at a 4 degrees different angle than how you drew it (well, nitpicky about dumb things) or OH NOES you coloured their character at a slight different colour than its chosen colour by hex code!!1!!eins.. I think you get it. It also helps if before commissioning you look through their gallery to see whether they can draw the thing you want and how you want it. c:
It's alright to ask for changes! Especially if they're something that's far away from what you asked (like the different species thing), or if they are minor - like limbs in a different position, facial expression, rearrange some background things and so on (I'm tired after work so I don't remember other ideas).

What's not alright is being a butt who asks to redraw the whole thing because they wanted it to be at a 4 degrees different angle than how you drew it (well, nitpicky about dumb things) or OH NOES you coloured their character at a slight different colour than its chosen colour by hex code!!1!!eins.. I think you get it. It also helps if before commissioning you look through their gallery to see whether they can draw the thing you want and how you want it. c:
ZPPY.png
I agree, as the paying customer, you have the right to refuse the product if it's not what you wanted. The artist shouldn't be offended, it should motivate them to try harder; pay attention to what the commissioner wants. The piece is for YOU, not them!
As long as you weren't a jerk about it, there's nothing to feel bad about.
I agree, as the paying customer, you have the right to refuse the product if it's not what you wanted. The artist shouldn't be offended, it should motivate them to try harder; pay attention to what the commissioner wants. The piece is for YOU, not them!
As long as you weren't a jerk about it, there's nothing to feel bad about.
If you're paying real money for it, then the sketch should be something you're happy with. And yeah, so long as you're not rude the artist *shouldn't* be angry. If they are, well that's pretty unprofessional.
If you're paying real money for it, then the sketch should be something you're happy with. And yeah, so long as you're not rude the artist *shouldn't* be angry. If they are, well that's pretty unprofessional.
pyrrha_zpsd3b32623.giffire_banner.png
1 2