Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Hatchling Calculator - Wavecrest
1 2 3 4
[center][size=5][b][u]Kay's Hatchling Probability Calculator[/u][/b][/size] [size=3][i]--- (and eventually more!) ---[/i][/size] Making random tasks less tedious since 2023.[/center] ----- [center] Introduction | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3262734/1#post_54788277][b][color=Maroon]Updates & Ping List[/color][/b][/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3262734/1#post_54788278][b][color=Maroon]Tool Directory[/color][/b][/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3262734/1#post_54788279][b][color=Maroon]Bug Reporting & FAQ[/color][/b][/url] [/center] ----- [center][size=4][emoji=dna size=1] [b][url=https://egad13.github.io/FR-Tools/Hatchling-Calculator/]CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE CALCULATOR[/url][/b] [emoji=dna size=1][/size][/center] [i][b]What does this do?[/b][/i] This is a calculator to help you plan out breeding projects! Select the attributes you want in a hatchling, then select the attributes that a pair of parent dragons have, then hit the calculate button. You'll get a detailed report that tells you the probability of hatching that goal hatchling with that pair of parents, and more! The calculator is a website, so you [b]don't have to download anything[/b]. It's easy to use and should work from any device. For more details on the calculator's features, see [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3262734/1#post_54788278]this post below![/url] ----- [i][b]Why did I make this?[/b][/i] I plan out a lot of breeding projects. I also really like to optimize things. I won't buy a pair of dragons for a project unless I'm very sure they're going to get me the dragon I need in a reasonable amount of time; so usually, when comparing dragons on the auction house, I do some basic probability calculations to see how well they fit my needs. At some point I realised that doing all that math is [i]tedious[/i]. The point of the math was to make it easier to be lazy, but actually, it was work! Shortly thereafter, I also realised that there's a very, very expensive piece of paper on my wall proclaiming that I am a [i]programmer[/i]. Someone trained in the ancient art of [i]making computer do math for you.[/i] So naturally, I spent like 40+ hours automating the process. This is the result. Enjoy.
Kay's Hatchling Probability Calculator
--- (and eventually more!) ---

Making random tasks less tedious since 2023.

What does this do?

This is a calculator to help you plan out breeding projects!

Select the attributes you want in a hatchling, then select the attributes that a pair of parent dragons have, then hit the calculate button. You'll get a detailed report that tells you the probability of hatching that goal hatchling with that pair of parents, and more!

The calculator is a website, so you don't have to download anything. It's easy to use and should work from any device.

For more details on the calculator's features, see this post below!

Why did I make this?

I plan out a lot of breeding projects. I also really like to optimize things. I won't buy a pair of dragons for a project unless I'm very sure they're going to get me the dragon I need in a reasonable amount of time; so usually, when comparing dragons on the auction house, I do some basic probability calculations to see how well they fit my needs.

At some point I realised that doing all that math is tedious. The point of the math was to make it easier to be lazy, but actually, it was work!

Shortly thereafter, I also realised that there's a very, very expensive piece of paper on my wall proclaiming that I am a programmer. Someone trained in the ancient art of making computer do math for you.

So naturally, I spent like 40+ hours automating the process. This is the result. Enjoy.
Wind House Cup 2023 Superstorm Badge 20x20.png?css=%7B%22opacity%22%3A%220%22%7D&dummyext=.png
Introduction | Updates & Ping List | Tool Directory | Bug Reporting & FAQ

Pinglists

Subscribe to this Major Updates pinglist to get pings about things like big bug fixes, new features, new tools, new breed releases, and other large changes and fixes.

Subscribe to this Minor Updates pinglist to get pings about things like tiny bug fixes, gene expansions/additions, and other small changes and fixes.

Updates
  • 2024-04-22: Added the new Wavecrest gene.
  • 2024-04-19: The new Dusthide breed and all its new genes were added!
  • 2024-04-09: Boulder & Myrid made available on Banescale, Gaolers, and Veilspun.
  • 2024-04-09: Added the new Button, Dark, and Faded eye types, & adjusted all eye type probabilities.
  • 2024-03-24: New scrylink & dragon profile import features released! Also, the Orb/Weaver gene expansion & the new Mistral gene were added.
  • 2024-02-25: The new Trickmurk gene was added.
  • 2024-02-24: The Undertide gene expansion was added.
  • 2024-02-14: The new Love and Affection genes were added.
  • 2024-01-28: The new Crystalline gene was added. Patched module load error in chromium.
  • 2024-01-03: Patched Thundercrack for Sandsurges, patched module load error in FF.
  • 2023-11-26: The new Rockbreaker gene was added.
  • 2023-11-22: The new Auraboa breed and all its new genes were added!
  • 2023-11-15: The new Chrysocolla and Malachite genes were added.
  • 2023-11-07: The new Riot gene was added; the Wish expansion to moderns was added.
  • 2023-10-16: The Boa/Saddle gene expansion was added.
  • 2023-09-24: The new Starfall gene was added.
  • 2023-09-18: Python, Morph, and Flecks had their rarities changed to Limited.
  • 2023-08-30: The new Flameforger gene was added.
  • 2023-08-23: The Aberration gene expansion was added.
  • 2023-08-11: Tertiary gene Runes had its rarity changed to Uncommon.
  • 2023-08-06: Hatchling Calculator beta release!

Pinglists

Subscribe to this Major Updates pinglist to get pings about things like big bug fixes, new features, new tools, new breed releases, and other large changes and fixes.

Subscribe to this Minor Updates pinglist to get pings about things like tiny bug fixes, gene expansions/additions, and other small changes and fixes.

Updates
  • 2024-04-22: Added the new Wavecrest gene.
  • 2024-04-19: The new Dusthide breed and all its new genes were added!
  • 2024-04-09: Boulder & Myrid made available on Banescale, Gaolers, and Veilspun.
  • 2024-04-09: Added the new Button, Dark, and Faded eye types, & adjusted all eye type probabilities.
  • 2024-03-24: New scrylink & dragon profile import features released! Also, the Orb/Weaver gene expansion & the new Mistral gene were added.
  • 2024-02-25: The new Trickmurk gene was added.
  • 2024-02-24: The Undertide gene expansion was added.
  • 2024-02-14: The new Love and Affection genes were added.
  • 2024-01-28: The new Crystalline gene was added. Patched module load error in chromium.
  • 2024-01-03: Patched Thundercrack for Sandsurges, patched module load error in FF.
  • 2023-11-26: The new Rockbreaker gene was added.
  • 2023-11-22: The new Auraboa breed and all its new genes were added!
  • 2023-11-15: The new Chrysocolla and Malachite genes were added.
  • 2023-11-07: The new Riot gene was added; the Wish expansion to moderns was added.
  • 2023-10-16: The Boa/Saddle gene expansion was added.
  • 2023-09-24: The new Starfall gene was added.
  • 2023-09-18: Python, Morph, and Flecks had their rarities changed to Limited.
  • 2023-08-30: The new Flameforger gene was added.
  • 2023-08-23: The Aberration gene expansion was added.
  • 2023-08-11: Tertiary gene Runes had its rarity changed to Uncommon.
  • 2023-08-06: Hatchling Calculator beta release!
Wind House Cup 2023 Superstorm Badge 20x20.png?css=%7B%22opacity%22%3A%220%22%7D&dummyext=.png

Tool Directory

...Yes, there's only the one tool right now. But! Emphasis on the "right now". I have plans to add more in the future!

Anyway.

Hatchling Probability Calculator

This easy-to-use calculator helps you gauge how likely a given pair of dragons is to produce the dragon you want.

In short?
Input This:
spacer
Three short web forms describing dragons, titled Parent 1, Parent 2, and Hatchling. Parent 1 and 2 have dropdowns for breed, and for primary, secondary, and tertiary colours and genes. The Hatchling has additional dropdowns for eye type and gender, and an unchecked checkbox titled 'use colour ranges'. The forms are filled so that Parent 1 is a Guardian with Orange Iridescent, Aqua Bee, and Banana Capsule; Parent 2 is a Mirror with Cantaloupe Metallic, Cyan Bee, and Flaxen Koi; and the desired Hatchling is a Mirror with an Orange primary and Flaxen Capsule tertiary, and the rest of its dropdowns marked 'Any'.
Get That:

Text describing that each egg from this pair will produce a Goal hatchling 8.08%; each nest from this pair will contain at least one Goal hatchling 20.10% of the time; and three tables. The first table describes the chance of hatching at least one Goal in 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 eggs. The second table is the same, but for nests. The third table describes the chances a hatchling will have either of the correct breed (50%), eye type (100%), colours (16.67%), or genes (97%).

You too can save yourself time and effort spent squinting at dragons on the auction house trying to estimate how good a fit they are for your project, or eleven forbid, doing manual math about it. Just click a few buttons and get all the info you need to keep planning!

What the calculator tells you:
  • The probability of any egg from that pair hatching your goal; and the same for any nest from that pair.
  • The average number of eggs each nest will have.
  • A table showing the chances you'll hatch your goal at least once within 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 eggs; and the same thing for nests too.
  • The chances that a single hatchling will have any of the individual desired traits - either of the desired breed, eye type, colours, or genes.
  • If you accidentally picked hatchling traits that it's impossible for that pair of parents to produce, it'll tell you exactly what trait(s) are the issue, so you can adjust and try again.
Features:
  • Takes every aspect of a dragon into account for its calculations. Breed, eye type, gender, colours, genes; everything!
  • Provide as much or as little information as you want. For any trait you don't care about, just leave the hatchling field marked "Any" and the calculator will ignore that trait.
  • Optionally: input a range of acceptable colours for any of the hatchling's primary, secondary, and tertiary colours! Just check the "use colour ranges" checkbox to show the extra dropdowns and make your selections. Leave any of the extra colour boxes blank, and they'll be ignored.
  • Import traits for either of the parent dragons or the hatchling from scrying workshop links or the copied contents of dragon profiles with just the click of a button!
spacer

And there's plans for a few features to make it even easier to use in the future!

Tool Directory

...Yes, there's only the one tool right now. But! Emphasis on the "right now". I have plans to add more in the future!

Anyway.

Hatchling Probability Calculator

This easy-to-use calculator helps you gauge how likely a given pair of dragons is to produce the dragon you want.

In short?
Input This:
spacer
Three short web forms describing dragons, titled Parent 1, Parent 2, and Hatchling. Parent 1 and 2 have dropdowns for breed, and for primary, secondary, and tertiary colours and genes. The Hatchling has additional dropdowns for eye type and gender, and an unchecked checkbox titled 'use colour ranges'. The forms are filled so that Parent 1 is a Guardian with Orange Iridescent, Aqua Bee, and Banana Capsule; Parent 2 is a Mirror with Cantaloupe Metallic, Cyan Bee, and Flaxen Koi; and the desired Hatchling is a Mirror with an Orange primary and Flaxen Capsule tertiary, and the rest of its dropdowns marked 'Any'.
Get That:

Text describing that each egg from this pair will produce a Goal hatchling 8.08%; each nest from this pair will contain at least one Goal hatchling 20.10% of the time; and three tables. The first table describes the chance of hatching at least one Goal in 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 eggs. The second table is the same, but for nests. The third table describes the chances a hatchling will have either of the correct breed (50%), eye type (100%), colours (16.67%), or genes (97%).

You too can save yourself time and effort spent squinting at dragons on the auction house trying to estimate how good a fit they are for your project, or eleven forbid, doing manual math about it. Just click a few buttons and get all the info you need to keep planning!

What the calculator tells you:
  • The probability of any egg from that pair hatching your goal; and the same for any nest from that pair.
  • The average number of eggs each nest will have.
  • A table showing the chances you'll hatch your goal at least once within 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 eggs; and the same thing for nests too.
  • The chances that a single hatchling will have any of the individual desired traits - either of the desired breed, eye type, colours, or genes.
  • If you accidentally picked hatchling traits that it's impossible for that pair of parents to produce, it'll tell you exactly what trait(s) are the issue, so you can adjust and try again.
Features:
  • Takes every aspect of a dragon into account for its calculations. Breed, eye type, gender, colours, genes; everything!
  • Provide as much or as little information as you want. For any trait you don't care about, just leave the hatchling field marked "Any" and the calculator will ignore that trait.
  • Optionally: input a range of acceptable colours for any of the hatchling's primary, secondary, and tertiary colours! Just check the "use colour ranges" checkbox to show the extra dropdowns and make your selections. Leave any of the extra colour boxes blank, and they'll be ignored.
  • Import traits for either of the parent dragons or the hatchling from scrying workshop links or the copied contents of dragon profiles with just the click of a button!
spacer

And there's plans for a few features to make it even easier to use in the future!

Bug Reporting

If something is breaking, the first thing to try is clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page. If that doesn't work, and you're on a modern, updated browser, then you may have found a bonafide bug!

Either shoot me a private message, write a comment in this thread, or open an issue on the project's Github page, and explain what the issue is in detail. The more detail the better. If you can, please also provide a screenshot of the problem. I'll try to track down the issue as soon as possible.

FAQ

Question: I have an idea for a new tool or a new feature; can you add it?

Answer: I'm open to any suggestions or critiques you have! Shoot me a private message, write a comment in this thread, or open an issue on the project's Github page, and try to explain what you're looking for in detail. There's no guarantee I'll implement your idea, but it's always cool to ask.

---

Question: I'm a programmer making something; can I use some of your code?

Answer: The code is currently an early work in progress, and is subject to breaking changes in the future. That said, you totally can use any of the code from this project as long as you include the license alongside my code, and credit me with the copyright notice in that file. The source code is here, along with a read-me file with more information; the documentation is here. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Happy coding!

Bug Reporting

If something is breaking, the first thing to try is clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page. If that doesn't work, and you're on a modern, updated browser, then you may have found a bonafide bug!

Either shoot me a private message, write a comment in this thread, or open an issue on the project's Github page, and explain what the issue is in detail. The more detail the better. If you can, please also provide a screenshot of the problem. I'll try to track down the issue as soon as possible.

FAQ

Question: I have an idea for a new tool or a new feature; can you add it?

Answer: I'm open to any suggestions or critiques you have! Shoot me a private message, write a comment in this thread, or open an issue on the project's Github page, and try to explain what you're looking for in detail. There's no guarantee I'll implement your idea, but it's always cool to ask.

---

Question: I'm a programmer making something; can I use some of your code?

Answer: The code is currently an early work in progress, and is subject to breaking changes in the future. That said, you totally can use any of the code from this project as long as you include the license alongside my code, and credit me with the copyright notice in that file. The source code is here, along with a read-me file with more information; the documentation is here. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Happy coding!
(reserve)
(reserve)
[emoji=gust size=1] Thread is open for business now!
Thread is open for business now!
Minor Update

Tertiary gene Runes has had its rarity changed to Uncommon, to reflect the change announced yesterday.

Developer Plots and Plans

I'm currently in the middle of a big refactoring and documentation pass for the site code; nothing that would affect the function of the hatchling calculator, but something to make things easier on myself (and anyone who decides to use my code) in the future.

While working on that, I discovered an interesting feature of javascript - customized built-in elements. With that in my tool belt now, I'm soon going to be able to offer an interesting bonus package to supplement the fr/data module! It'll be easier for me to make new tools, and it'll hopefully be useful for anyone else making neat FR tools!

I still need to test the new module on Safari to make sure everything's working, and I likely won't release it (or fr/data) officially until I'm done shuffling things around and writing docs, but I'm excited about it.
Minor Update

Tertiary gene Runes has had its rarity changed to Uncommon, to reflect the change announced yesterday.

Developer Plots and Plans

I'm currently in the middle of a big refactoring and documentation pass for the site code; nothing that would affect the function of the hatchling calculator, but something to make things easier on myself (and anyone who decides to use my code) in the future.

While working on that, I discovered an interesting feature of javascript - customized built-in elements. With that in my tool belt now, I'm soon going to be able to offer an interesting bonus package to supplement the fr/data module! It'll be easier for me to make new tools, and it'll hopefully be useful for anyone else making neat FR tools!

I still need to test the new module on Safari to make sure everything's working, and I likely won't release it (or fr/data) officially until I'm done shuffling things around and writing docs, but I'm excited about it.
Minor Update

Aberrations had a massive gene expansion! Now available on Aberrations in the Hatchling Calculator are all the new genes:
  • Primary Genes: Boulder, Cherub, Clown, Fern, Harlequin, Leopard, Pinstripe, Poison, Ripple, Skink, Starmap, Tide
  • Secondary Genes: Clouded, Constellation, Current, Eye Spots, Foam, Jester, Myrid, Paisley, Seraph, Spinner, Toxin, Trail
  • Tertiary Genes: Augment, Braids, Contour, Fans, Firebreather, Koi, Skeletal, Smirch, Spines, Stained, Thorns
Minor Update

Aberrations had a massive gene expansion! Now available on Aberrations in the Hatchling Calculator are all the new genes:
  • Primary Genes: Boulder, Cherub, Clown, Fern, Harlequin, Leopard, Pinstripe, Poison, Ripple, Skink, Starmap, Tide
  • Secondary Genes: Clouded, Constellation, Current, Eye Spots, Foam, Jester, Myrid, Paisley, Seraph, Spinner, Toxin, Trail
  • Tertiary Genes: Augment, Braids, Contour, Fans, Firebreather, Koi, Skeletal, Smirch, Spines, Stained, Thorns
Minor Update

The new Flameforger gene has been added to the database! It should be available to Aberrations and Banescale in the hatchling calculator as we speak.

As always, if the changes don't appear for you, clear your browser cache and try again.

There have also been a lot of changes under the hood that just went live; nothing that should affect your use of the site, but a lot that will make development easier for me in the long run.

I'm also planning to make a more official release of the core code behind this tool soon-ish. My hope is to make things a little simpler for anyone else who's developing external tools for FR! I may make a new thread for that, though, just to keep up a good separation of concerns; this thread is for finished user-facing tools, not developer tools.
Minor Update

The new Flameforger gene has been added to the database! It should be available to Aberrations and Banescale in the hatchling calculator as we speak.

As always, if the changes don't appear for you, clear your browser cache and try again.

There have also been a lot of changes under the hood that just went live; nothing that should affect your use of the site, but a lot that will make development easier for me in the long run.

I'm also planning to make a more official release of the core code behind this tool soon-ish. My hope is to make things a little simpler for anyone else who's developing external tools for FR! I may make a new thread for that, though, just to keep up a good separation of concerns; this thread is for finished user-facing tools, not developer tools.
Minor Update

The genes Python, Morph, and Flecks have had their rarities changed from Uncommon to Limited, to reflect the changes announced earlier today.

If the changes don't appear for you, clear your browser cache and reload the page.

(I'm working on a feature that will reduce the likelihood that you need to clear your cache after a site update; more on that soon.)
Minor Update

The genes Python, Morph, and Flecks have had their rarities changed from Uncommon to Limited, to reflect the changes announced earlier today.

If the changes don't appear for you, clear your browser cache and reload the page.

(I'm working on a feature that will reduce the likelihood that you need to clear your cache after a site update; more on that soon.)
1 2 3 4