Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Guide: How to Make a Hatchery Thread
1 2 3 4 5 6
@Avifors no worries about the late reply, any reply is a good one! So now I know to put hatchlings first!
@Avifors no worries about the late reply, any reply is a good one! So now I know to put hatchlings first!
UWU whats this button do?

*Click*
-tweaked some links :D
-tweaked some links :D
___________8140c737d7f90588c2d0317bb2109ff85e691175.png _______
@Avifors

I have a question, I’m setting up my hatchery and am curious, what would be good examples of discounts? I’m not exactly sure myself, I have a couple ideas I’m implementing but I only have two. Any suggestions?
@Avifors

I have a question, I’m setting up my hatchery and am curious, what would be good examples of discounts? I’m not exactly sure myself, I have a couple ideas I’m implementing but I only have two. Any suggestions?
59269143_1ISEN6i010tNi03.png 98ee1391c1a63b84127a07dff64bb584fb3dc48f.png
@SharksF1n ~ try to keep the discounts simple and clear. For example, if you want to discount themed pairs for their relating FR holiday don't list this as a discount, just hatch them for the holiday and announce a sale.

I like discounting for people who sign-up to my pinglists to show appreciation for their support. Another one is for people who share your flight, and the advantage to this is -- depending on your flight -- there might be a spot in the flight forum directory that advertises hatcheries that give such discounts. I remember when I was a part of Arcane they had a spot to do this.

Other discounts I've seen are for new FR players, returning customers, people who lend their nests to the hatchery, birthday discounts, affiliates.

There's loads of things that could be good discounts and it's really up to the individual to decide what's best for their shop. Just remember not to have too many, because then it becomes tough to keep track, and if the discounts end up applying to everyone then they're no longer discounts they're just the price :D

My personal preference has always been to have a flight discount and a pinglist discount and that's it. I hope this helps!
@SharksF1n ~ try to keep the discounts simple and clear. For example, if you want to discount themed pairs for their relating FR holiday don't list this as a discount, just hatch them for the holiday and announce a sale.

I like discounting for people who sign-up to my pinglists to show appreciation for their support. Another one is for people who share your flight, and the advantage to this is -- depending on your flight -- there might be a spot in the flight forum directory that advertises hatcheries that give such discounts. I remember when I was a part of Arcane they had a spot to do this.

Other discounts I've seen are for new FR players, returning customers, people who lend their nests to the hatchery, birthday discounts, affiliates.

There's loads of things that could be good discounts and it's really up to the individual to decide what's best for their shop. Just remember not to have too many, because then it becomes tough to keep track, and if the discounts end up applying to everyone then they're no longer discounts they're just the price :D

My personal preference has always been to have a flight discount and a pinglist discount and that's it. I hope this helps!
@Avifors

Thanks for the help + explanation!
@Avifors

Thanks for the help + explanation!
If anyone needs a link to what I use to do BBCode since im basically infant level skill in it, ive got a link! Its got all the basics, and even things like how to do profiles n whatnot. I find it useful for my hatcchery!
If anyone needs a link to what I use to do BBCode since im basically infant level skill in it, ive got a link! Its got all the basics, and even things like how to do profiles n whatnot. I find it useful for my hatcchery!
Bump~
Bump~
nJ9aapY.png
gonna finish reading through this later on, looks really helpful!
gonna finish reading through this later on, looks really helpful!
axhRqoK.png
5iXiC8z.png27AZD8S.pngDa1cz0f.pngmlHpBMC.png
@Avifors

I have a theme of variety, but there are distinct groupings in the lair. I may have shot myself in the foot with where I put my starting thread (Dragon Trade rather than Sales, because I wasn't thinking of it as a hatchery), so I am thinking to move it, but I am trying to figure out what else I can do to make it work properly when my theme isn't as "tight" as most hatcheries I have seen. Do you have any suggestions as to how I should go about it?

I did find one hatchery on the Hatchery Masterlist that has a similar vibe- the Pseudo Hatchery- so I know I am not the only one to try this. For reference, you can reach my current thread here.
@Avifors

I have a theme of variety, but there are distinct groupings in the lair. I may have shot myself in the foot with where I put my starting thread (Dragon Trade rather than Sales, because I wasn't thinking of it as a hatchery), so I am thinking to move it, but I am trying to figure out what else I can do to make it work properly when my theme isn't as "tight" as most hatcheries I have seen. Do you have any suggestions as to how I should go about it?

I did find one hatchery on the Hatchery Masterlist that has a similar vibe- the Pseudo Hatchery- so I know I am not the only one to try this. For reference, you can reach my current thread here.
@Nightsmaiden ~ hello :D

Tbh I think there's a lot of pressure around the word 'hatchery'; and it's true there were (possibly still are) hatchery guides that define it and what is and what is not a hatchery. Personally, I think any organized thread that you sell dragons out of is a hatchery.

Definitely move the thread to dragon sales. Based on the lore and such, I think you would find more inspiration by looking at subspecies threads rather than other hatcheries. You're running a lore hatchery with a theme of wings -- like an unofficial subspecies. This might give you some ideas on how to interweave your lore (text heavy) with images and examples so it doesn't get overwhelming.
  • Move thread to dragon sales
  • Very nice title banner
  • Remove excess text (ie. hint 29, OOC summary etc)
  • Put the lore for each 'wing' with that pair(s)
  • Rules section at the top! There are rules repeated for each sales/subspecies post (ie. provide a name or your dragon will be named, don't acquire to exalt etc) Say these only once and right at the top
  • Instead of the text for each Wings lore beneath your intro -- which delays a shopper's chance to see your dragons -- perhaps give each wing name as a link and then below (or above) include small images of the pairs that hatch this wing type (or a small commissioned image) to give shoppers an idea of what this looks like. If they are interested, they can click the name and view the unique lore and if any dragons are available.
  • For sales/pairs, make sure the pricing stands out. ie, Price: 5kt / one adult fodder dragon / or 150 words of lore, without surrounding text (which will be moved to rules)
  • Because of your hatchery's unique needs, put lore and pairs that breed this wing type above the relevant available hatches OR/
  • still have all available dragons in their own post, and have a pairs list showing the various pairs breeding under different wing types

I hope this helped give you some ideas. If you have questions or want to bounce some thoughts around, don't hesitate to message me!
@Nightsmaiden ~ hello :D

Tbh I think there's a lot of pressure around the word 'hatchery'; and it's true there were (possibly still are) hatchery guides that define it and what is and what is not a hatchery. Personally, I think any organized thread that you sell dragons out of is a hatchery.

Definitely move the thread to dragon sales. Based on the lore and such, I think you would find more inspiration by looking at subspecies threads rather than other hatcheries. You're running a lore hatchery with a theme of wings -- like an unofficial subspecies. This might give you some ideas on how to interweave your lore (text heavy) with images and examples so it doesn't get overwhelming.
  • Move thread to dragon sales
  • Very nice title banner
  • Remove excess text (ie. hint 29, OOC summary etc)
  • Put the lore for each 'wing' with that pair(s)
  • Rules section at the top! There are rules repeated for each sales/subspecies post (ie. provide a name or your dragon will be named, don't acquire to exalt etc) Say these only once and right at the top
  • Instead of the text for each Wings lore beneath your intro -- which delays a shopper's chance to see your dragons -- perhaps give each wing name as a link and then below (or above) include small images of the pairs that hatch this wing type (or a small commissioned image) to give shoppers an idea of what this looks like. If they are interested, they can click the name and view the unique lore and if any dragons are available.
  • For sales/pairs, make sure the pricing stands out. ie, Price: 5kt / one adult fodder dragon / or 150 words of lore, without surrounding text (which will be moved to rules)
  • Because of your hatchery's unique needs, put lore and pairs that breed this wing type above the relevant available hatches OR/
  • still have all available dragons in their own post, and have a pairs list showing the various pairs breeding under different wing types

I hope this helped give you some ideas. If you have questions or want to bounce some thoughts around, don't hesitate to message me!
1 2 3 4 5 6