Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Guide: How to Make a Hatchery Thread
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thank you so much for having updated links. I'd been using fintastic for the color predictor, but seeing the broken trollslum link listed in old guides on the front page got me all confused, thinking there was some other site I should be using instead.
Thank you so much for having updated links. I'd been using fintastic for the color predictor, but seeing the broken trollslum link listed in old guides on the front page got me all confused, thinking there was some other site I should be using instead.
KAt6JqS.png
[updated: edited links section]
[updated: edited links section]
___________8140c737d7f90588c2d0317bb2109ff85e691175.png _______
@koobi
@koobi
haven't finished making new hatchery yet but so far this guide has been incredibly helpful!! thanks so much for making it. there's a ton of information so i'm still making my way through it, but it's taught me a lot already and i'm excited to figure out more as i get started
haven't finished making new hatchery yet but so far this guide has been incredibly helpful!! thanks so much for making it. there's a ton of information so i'm still making my way through it, but it's taught me a lot already and i'm excited to figure out more as i get started
my images broke....fix later sol.
they/them.
fr+2
friendly&anxious.
Small_Capy.png
I’m also here to give a thanks! I just made my hatchery and it looks so much better than if I had been going on my own!
I’m also here to give a thanks! I just made my hatchery and it looks so much better than if I had been going on my own!
IF HubOOF Hub
@UndeadCynic self ping for future reference
@UndeadCynic self ping for future reference
3YAN1tx.pngbYt72YT.pngZijKo9W.png
VJvtz2J.pngLRdLP2V.pngmlHpBMC.png
When you talk about putting your sales first, do you mean the sale of the hatchlings? And then what the pairings look like? Would it also be ok to put the pairings first and the potential babies if there are no hatchlings yet? And then move that post downward once there are babies to sell?
When you talk about putting your sales first, do you mean the sale of the hatchlings? And then what the pairings look like? Would it also be ok to put the pairings first and the potential babies if there are no hatchlings yet? And then move that post downward once there are babies to sell?
UWU whats this button do?

*Click*
This guide is helping me make a hatchery which I am working on right now
This guide is helping me make a hatchery which I am working on right now
EsljdvE.png Pickles | He/Him | +2 FR Time u94F7n8.png
Saving this guide to help me with my hatchery ;v;
Saving this guide to help me with my hatchery ;v;
@CanTour ~ Sorry for this (very) late reply, and I really hope I'm not bothering you now. I'm not sure if you still have this question about layout but just in case you do, I wanted to give an answer. By 'sales' I do mean offspring available for purchase. This section should definitely go before your list of breeding pairs. The reasoning is, a casual browser on the hunt for a new dragon will pop in and then right back out if what they're seeking is difficult to find or requires too much effort. That sort of browser doesn't enter a hatchery feeling invested in the shop itself, they want the product, they're wondering: can I find what I want here or no? But a casual browser could become a new pinglist member if you have hatchlings they like or an interesting store. If you catch their interest, they will take more time to explore your shop and scroll down to your pairs. The other reason for this is there are hatchery threads that have no sales sections. In this low-maintenance set-up, the user has chosen to have a title and a pairs list, sometimes even affiliates, but anyone interested in offspring must click and visit the user's own lair to find what hatchlings are available. If you have your pairs list up top, it's very easy for a browser to get confused and click away from your hatchery and maybe check to see if you have a sales tab and then click away. [quote]Would it also be ok to put the pairings first and the potential babies if there are no hatchlings yet? And then move that post downward once there are babies to sell? [/quote] I may be misunderstanding, but I would say 'no' to this. Hatcheries are [i]work[/i] and I definitely recommend trying to keep that work simple. If you have to constantly fuss with code (ie. moving pairs up and then down), there will be a day when you accidentally delete or mess the code-up, there just will, lol. But from the perspective of the customer, it makes it difficult for them to navigate your shop because the format will be changing. If this is about opening the hatchery, I highly recommend having even just one pair's babies freshly hatched when you open, because it helps get the word out and encourages people to peruse your shop a bit. You don't want to have a grand store opening with a key section of the store filled with a 'coming soon' sign! Obviously, these are not hard-written rules for hatchery layout, and you're welcome and encouraged to set things up however they work best for you.
@CanTour ~ Sorry for this (very) late reply, and I really hope I'm not bothering you now. I'm not sure if you still have this question about layout but just in case you do, I wanted to give an answer.

By 'sales' I do mean offspring available for purchase. This section should definitely go before your list of breeding pairs.

The reasoning is, a casual browser on the hunt for a new dragon will pop in and then right back out if what they're seeking is difficult to find or requires too much effort. That sort of browser doesn't enter a hatchery feeling invested in the shop itself, they want the product, they're wondering: can I find what I want here or no? But a casual browser could become a new pinglist member if you have hatchlings they like or an interesting store. If you catch their interest, they will take more time to explore your shop and scroll down to your pairs.

The other reason for this is there are hatchery threads that have no sales sections. In this low-maintenance set-up, the user has chosen to have a title and a pairs list, sometimes even affiliates, but anyone interested in offspring must click and visit the user's own lair to find what hatchlings are available. If you have your pairs list up top, it's very easy for a browser to get confused and click away from your hatchery and maybe check to see if you have a sales tab and then click away.
Quote:
Would it also be ok to put the pairings first and the potential babies if there are no hatchlings yet? And then move that post downward once there are babies to sell?
I may be misunderstanding, but I would say 'no' to this. Hatcheries are work and I definitely recommend trying to keep that work simple. If you have to constantly fuss with code (ie. moving pairs up and then down), there will be a day when you accidentally delete or mess the code-up, there just will, lol. But from the perspective of the customer, it makes it difficult for them to navigate your shop because the format will be changing. If this is about opening the hatchery, I highly recommend having even just one pair's babies freshly hatched when you open, because it helps get the word out and encourages people to peruse your shop a bit. You don't want to have a grand store opening with a key section of the store filled with a 'coming soon' sign!

Obviously, these are not hard-written rules for hatchery layout, and you're welcome and encouraged to set things up however they work best for you.
___________8140c737d7f90588c2d0317bb2109ff85e691175.png _______
1 2 3 4 5 6