Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [GUIDE] The Tricks to Writing Lore
1 2 3
[center][size=7][size=5][font=gabriola][b]The Tricks to Writing Lore[/b][/size][/size] [font=gabriola][size=4]A Guide by [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=86938][color=green]Parselmouth[/url][/color][/size][/font][/center] [size=4][font=cambria] Some of you may wonder, "How is it that people have such great lore?" Well, you've come to the write (ha puns) place. Most people on here have certain ways they get inspiration to write lore for their dragons and clans. I'm here to teach you the basic ways of writing good lore. Remember, there is always room for improvement. ----- [size=4][font=cambria][b]1. Choose your Dragon.[/b] Now, the first step to writing lore is to choose the dragon to write about. You're not going to find inspiration if you don't even know who you're writing about. You should take some time to just look at your dragon. Study it's genes, colours, to see what first comes to mind when you look at the dragon. You can also ask yourself questions about the dragon, like, "What role does it play in my clan?" or "Does the lore of the flight the dragon is from correspond with how I feel the dragon should be?" For example: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23959143] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/239592/23959143_350.png[/img] [/url] Chernobyl here is a very plague looking dragon, her eyes and wings are red while her body is dark. She's named after a nuclear disaster. What first comes to mind when I see her is disease. Take it from there, but before you do, read the next step. [b]2. Create a Personality.[/b] Now that you've established what the theme of this dragons lore will be, you must think of some type of personality for the dragon. Is she a vicious killer who purposely spreads the black plague everywhere? Or is she a calm, kind soul who has one small flaw that she cannot control? You'll need to think of this before writing about her history, otherwise, she may be a vicious dragon with no reason behind it what so ever. [b]3. Decide the point of view and tense you'll be writing in.[/b] You'll need to find out what point of view you like the feel of the most, as well as the tense. I, personally, tend to write in third person (single) and past tense. Here are the types of points of view and tenses you can write in. [b]Points of View:[/b] First Person: Where one writes from the point of view of the character. (I did this, I saw this, etc.) Third Person (single): Where one writes from the point of view from a single perspective. (They did this, They saw that, etc.) Third Person (multiple): Where one writes from the point of view of one character, but can see into the thoughts of others as well. (Jamie did this, Taylor saw that, etc.) [b]Tenses:[/b] Present Tense: Something that is going on right that moment. (Jamie sees the dog, Taylor walks the dog, etc.) Past Tense: Something that happened previously and is being retold. (Jamie saw a dog, Taylor was walking a dog, etc.) Future Tense: Things that have yet to happen but will. (Jamie will soon see the dog, Taylor will go out to walk his dog after breakfast.) [b]4. Start Writing.[/b] Now that you've established who and what you'll be writing about. It's time to write the first draft. If you have ideas flowing, keep writing until you run out. There is no such thing as an incorrect draft. If you can't think of anything, do some more research about the theme, or go take a break for a while. Remember, writing takes practice. The first draft may be the worst thing you've ever read, but that's okay. Take some of the ideas from it that you do like and rewrite it in a second draft. You could have thirty or more drafts before you think you've finally perfected the dragon's story. Don't forget, that you can always go back and change things later. [b]5. Finish the Bio[/b] To finish the bio, you need to be perfectly happy with it for the moment. Leave it for a day or two then come back and read it again to see if you still like it. You may wish to add coding, images, links, art, whatever, to the bio to make it more personal. Once you've completed this, you can move on to the next one. (Suggestion: If the dragon has a mate, try writing lore for them next. It makes it easier as you can think of the first dragon's lore and base it off that.) ----- [font=cambria][size=4]Well, those are the basics to writing a good piece of lore for your dragon. If you have any questions, please feel free to ping me below. I can also help you with tricky sentences and other writing errors. You can ping or PM me anytime and I'd be happy to help. ----- [center][size=7][font=gabriola][b]Updates[/size][/font][/b] [font=cambria][size=4][b]2016-06-23:[/b] Fixed spelling errors. Added gender neutral pronouns and names.
The Tricks to Writing Lore
A Guide by Parselmouth

Some of you may wonder, "How is it that people have such great lore?" Well, you've come to the write (ha puns) place. Most people on here have certain ways they get inspiration to write lore for their dragons and clans. I'm here to teach you the basic ways of writing good lore. Remember, there is always room for improvement.

1. Choose your Dragon.

Now, the first step to writing lore is to choose the dragon to write about. You're not going to find inspiration if you don't even know who you're writing about. You should take some time to just look at your dragon. Study it's genes, colours, to see what first comes to mind when you look at the dragon. You can also ask yourself questions about the dragon, like, "What role does it play in my clan?" or "Does the lore of the flight the dragon is from correspond with how I feel the dragon should be?"

For example:
23959143_350.png

Chernobyl here is a very plague looking dragon, her eyes and wings are red while her body is dark. She's named after a nuclear disaster. What first comes to mind when I see her is disease. Take it from there, but before you do, read the next step.

2. Create a Personality.

Now that you've established what the theme of this dragons lore will be, you must think of some type of personality for the dragon. Is she a vicious killer who purposely spreads the black plague everywhere? Or is she a calm, kind soul who has one small flaw that she cannot control? You'll need to think of this before writing about her history, otherwise, she may be a vicious dragon with no reason behind it what so ever.

3. Decide the point of view and tense you'll be writing in.

You'll need to find out what point of view you like the feel of the most, as well as the tense. I, personally, tend to write in third person (single) and past tense. Here are the types of points of view and tenses you can write in.

Points of View:
First Person: Where one writes from the point of view of the character. (I did this, I saw this, etc.)
Third Person (single): Where one writes from the point of view from a single perspective. (They did this, They saw that, etc.)
Third Person (multiple): Where one writes from the point of view of one character, but can see into the thoughts of others as well. (Jamie did this, Taylor saw that, etc.)

Tenses:
Present Tense: Something that is going on right that moment. (Jamie sees the dog, Taylor walks the dog, etc.)
Past Tense: Something that happened previously and is being retold. (Jamie saw a dog, Taylor was walking a dog, etc.)
Future Tense: Things that have yet to happen but will. (Jamie will soon see the dog, Taylor will go out to walk his dog after breakfast.)

4. Start Writing.

Now that you've established who and what you'll be writing about. It's time to write the first draft. If you have ideas flowing, keep writing until you run out. There is no such thing as an incorrect draft. If you can't think of anything, do some more research about the theme, or go take a break for a while. Remember, writing takes practice. The first draft may be the worst thing you've ever read, but that's okay. Take some of the ideas from it that you do like and rewrite it in a second draft. You could have thirty or more drafts before you think you've finally perfected the dragon's story. Don't forget, that you can always go back and change things later.

5. Finish the Bio

To finish the bio, you need to be perfectly happy with it for the moment. Leave it for a day or two then come back and read it again to see if you still like it. You may wish to add coding, images, links, art, whatever, to the bio to make it more personal. Once you've completed this, you can move on to the next one. (Suggestion: If the dragon has a mate, try writing lore for them next. It makes it easier as you can think of the first dragon's lore and base it off that.)

Well, those are the basics to writing a good piece of lore for your dragon. If you have any questions, please feel free to ping me below. I can also help you with tricky sentences and other writing errors. You can ping or PM me anytime and I'd be happy to help.

Updates

2016-06-23: Fixed spelling errors. Added gender neutral pronouns and names.

Fen | They/them
@Parselmouth this is such a useful guide, thank you! I'm trying to write lore for my dragons at the moment (it's my current main site goal haha), but it's difficult either to find a good place/perspective to write from (for some dragons) or to find a base for the writing. This will be a ton of help! :D
@Parselmouth this is such a useful guide, thank you! I'm trying to write lore for my dragons at the moment (it's my current main site goal haha), but it's difficult either to find a good place/perspective to write from (for some dragons) or to find a base for the writing. This will be a ton of help! :D
29bc1a28d37550be8f014920de79bd41221cd7ce.png5BsilZ9.pngtUQCJMT.pngPeaberrySmall_zpsmzrgggxe.gif
@Pretzii - No problem! I'm glad you liked it.
@Pretzii - No problem! I'm glad you liked it.
Fen | They/them
@Parselmouth
thanks for this guide. writing bios is one of the most difficult but also the more enjoyable things on FR ^^.

sometimes it s real hard to "know" a dragon , i made a little list to help me figured out what may be his history .
  1. When did he /she join the clan? Why?
  2. Anything significant during his/her childhood? her/ his youth ?
  3. What is her/his role int the clan? How dedicated is he/she is to this role?
  4. Whats does he/she care about?
  5. any obssession? why?
  6. Biggest fear?
  7. What is the best thing that even happened to him/her ? the worst? the more embarrassing?
  8. Does he/she hide a big secret? Does somebody in the clan already know? how does it affect her/his relationship?
  9. past and present relationship? how does it affect her/him
  10. How does he/she meet his/her current mate ? is she/he the first ?how is they particular relationship?
@Parselmouth
thanks for this guide. writing bios is one of the most difficult but also the more enjoyable things on FR ^^.

sometimes it s real hard to "know" a dragon , i made a little list to help me figured out what may be his history .
  1. When did he /she join the clan? Why?
  2. Anything significant during his/her childhood? her/ his youth ?
  3. What is her/his role int the clan? How dedicated is he/she is to this role?
  4. Whats does he/she care about?
  5. any obssession? why?
  6. Biggest fear?
  7. What is the best thing that even happened to him/her ? the worst? the more embarrassing?
  8. Does he/she hide a big secret? Does somebody in the clan already know? how does it affect her/his relationship?
  9. past and present relationship? how does it affect her/him
  10. How does he/she meet his/her current mate ? is she/he the first ?how is they particular relationship?
2Vg82cJ.pngZQXfWuE.png
@Parselmouth very useful! There are also many resources for general character development online that can be applied to FR pretty easily

(@Hydria *Casually pings myself for later reference*)
@Parselmouth very useful! There are also many resources for general character development online that can be applied to FR pretty easily

(@Hydria *Casually pings myself for later reference*)
waterfull.png
@Parselmouth

THANK YOU. Thank you so much. I need this guide.
@Parselmouth

THANK YOU. Thank you so much. I need this guide.
PQznZys.png
OMG this must be a dream. This is exactly what I need.
@Pteranodon
I have to keep this thread.
OMG this must be a dream. This is exactly what I need.
@Pteranodon
I have to keep this thread.
5LqH0sj.png
This is very helpful thank you!
@isburning
This is very helpful thank you!
@isburning
noTcUx3.png XRw1Tff.png ondh9LM.gif dkTPuOS.png JIwK2g8.png
@Parselmouth thank you! I'm a new user, and at first, people writing lore for their clans and dragons seemed silly to me, but then i realized it just makes everything more interesting and fun. I've already started writing some lore for one of the first dragons I bought on AH when i joined!
@Parselmouth thank you! I'm a new user, and at first, people writing lore for their clans and dragons seemed silly to me, but then i realized it just makes everything more interesting and fun. I've already started writing some lore for one of the first dragons I bought on AH when i joined!
Thank you so much! I find this incredibly helpful! :)
@CloudGazer Pinging myself for reference
Thank you so much! I find this incredibly helpful! :)
@CloudGazer Pinging myself for reference
7kXKmEf.png
1 2 3