Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Making and Formatting Skins & Accents
1 2 3 4
silly stuff - [LIST=1] [*]when making accents, i tend to enlarge my files from 750x750 to 3000x3000. i use the enlargement setting "Nearest Neighbor (hard edges)" to do this, and use the same setting to resize the file back down to 750x750 after i finish. EEEEEDDDDIT: feel silly for not saying this, but i resize it back like this to keep the exact pixels of the art in-tact. when resizing from 750 to 350, i use bicubic smooth - the same one seen in the official site tutorial. [*]i always duplicate the "Accent Parts" folder before i begin to work. it's much easier to line and color accents when they're on two different folders since you can keep your linework nice and clean while you fumble with your colors... it's like having separate layers, just with more fancy stuff. [*]take advantage of the clipping masks - you can most definitely stick stuff in the middle of your base layer and the shadows/lines. it opens up a lot of opportunities to make your accent really stand out, and can really help you stay organized. [*]this is more generally art-related - you really should consider recoloring the shadows/lines. consider what kind of stuff is in your accent... and shade with a dull color. lines may be a darker mix of the main color and the shaded color, or be specific depending on your area. [*]tentatively, small highlights that make minor (or even arguably negligable) infractions on the shading rule can be done. this can mean like... gemstone or shiny accents can have little bright spots over shadows, by using a light color above the shadow layer. however: use this sparingly - really, only to emphasize the qualities that you're trying to show or when it makes an immensely desirable effect. also, don't try this with straight-up #FFFFFF white. don't ask me why if you can't already tell. [/LIST] this accent uses all these concepts minus the extra folders and enlargement: [img]http://i.imgur.com/umblnGg.png[/img] ...my accents usually look better than this. permafrost derelict used these concepts: [skin=16210] if you wanted a better example.
silly stuff -
  1. when making accents, i tend to enlarge my files from 750x750 to 3000x3000. i use the enlargement setting "Nearest Neighbor (hard edges)" to do this, and use the same setting to resize the file back down to 750x750 after i finish. EEEEEDDDDIT: feel silly for not saying this, but i resize it back like this to keep the exact pixels of the art in-tact. when resizing from 750 to 350, i use bicubic smooth - the same one seen in the official site tutorial.
  2. i always duplicate the "Accent Parts" folder before i begin to work. it's much easier to line and color accents when they're on two different folders since you can keep your linework nice and clean while you fumble with your colors... it's like having separate layers, just with more fancy stuff.
  3. take advantage of the clipping masks - you can most definitely stick stuff in the middle of your base layer and the shadows/lines. it opens up a lot of opportunities to make your accent really stand out, and can really help you stay organized.
  4. this is more generally art-related - you really should consider recoloring the shadows/lines. consider what kind of stuff is in your accent... and shade with a dull color. lines may be a darker mix of the main color and the shaded color, or be specific depending on your area.
  5. tentatively, small highlights that make minor (or even arguably negligable) infractions on the shading rule can be done. this can mean like... gemstone or shiny accents can have little bright spots over shadows, by using a light color above the shadow layer. however: use this sparingly - really, only to emphasize the qualities that you're trying to show or when it makes an immensely desirable effect. also, don't try this with straight-up #FFFFFF white. don't ask me why if you can't already tell.
this accent uses all these concepts minus the extra folders and enlargement:
umblnGg.png
...my accents usually look better than this.
permafrost derelict used these concepts:

if you wanted a better example.
tumblr_o9wq6n5cAC1uxgh2ko4_100.pngtumblr_o9wq6n5cAC1uxgh2ko3_250.pngtumblr_o9wq6n5cAC1uxgh2ko2_250.pngtumblr_o9wq6n5cAC1uxgh2ko1_250.png
@CosmicAsh
Pinging myself to ref later.
@CosmicAsh
Pinging myself to ref later.
VbrklUz.png9TDiR0b.pngeT0v5eI.png
What do I do once i'm done with a skin? I'm not sure what to do with the extra bodypart layers or anything else for that matter ? :/
What do I do once i'm done with a skin? I'm not sure what to do with the extra bodypart layers or anything else for that matter ? :/
@jackalbones
Hi,
Are there any free, online photoshop tools that you know of?
@jackalbones
Hi,
Are there any free, online photoshop tools that you know of?
0R9fsfR.png
@OffensiveTitles
Sorry I didn't see this earlier - you'll want to delete everything that isn't part of your accent/skin.

@ElyPogogu
I'm afraid I don't, no. GIMP and FireAlpaca are both free, but they're downloadable offline programs rather than online apps. Why do you want an online tool in particular?
@OffensiveTitles
Sorry I didn't see this earlier - you'll want to delete everything that isn't part of your accent/skin.

@ElyPogogu
I'm afraid I don't, no. GIMP and FireAlpaca are both free, but they're downloadable offline programs rather than online apps. Why do you want an online tool in particular?
qP8Ki8g.png
@jackalbones. It's okay. I found one called Pixlr. You could suggest it maybe?
@jackalbones. It's okay. I found one called Pixlr. You could suggest it maybe?
0R9fsfR.png
@ElyPogogu
Good to hear. I probably shan't suggest any online editors in the OP, as I have absolutely zero experience with them, and I really wouldn't be able to provide any support for people using them.
@ElyPogogu
Good to hear. I probably shan't suggest any online editors in the OP, as I have absolutely zero experience with them, and I really wouldn't be able to provide any support for people using them.
qP8Ki8g.png
I cannot understand this very well. I have trouble understanding the instructions for it.
Could somebody who understands the original instructions possibly PM me with a *very* broken down version of it?
1.) in steps like
2.) this
because it's very hard on my eyes to read and due to issues with my poor reading ability, (mind you, I am younger but that isn't why.) I can't understand the instructions very well.
Thank you in advance.
I cannot understand this very well. I have trouble understanding the instructions for it.
Could somebody who understands the original instructions possibly PM me with a *very* broken down version of it?
1.) in steps like
2.) this
because it's very hard on my eyes to read and due to issues with my poor reading ability, (mind you, I am younger but that isn't why.) I can't understand the instructions very well.
Thank you in advance.
RzClvss.png
he/him/his
@JackalBones Hello! I am using FireAlpaca and I'm trying to make an accent. However, I am unable to draw on the layers! I followed the tutorial, and I can't draw on the "accent goes here" layer. Help?
@JackalBones Hello! I am using FireAlpaca and I'm trying to make an accent. However, I am unable to draw on the layers! I followed the tutorial, and I can't draw on the "accent goes here" layer. Help?
flight_rising_signature_by_toldentops-dajxkhw.png toldentops_skin_and_accent_shop_banner_by_toldentops-dcruva8.png
@Toldentops
This may seem a very silly question, but is the layer group visible? The accent group (not the layer itself) is invisible by default.
@Toldentops
This may seem a very silly question, but is the layer group visible? The accent group (not the layer itself) is invisible by default.
qP8Ki8g.png
1 2 3 4