Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Do not like the Fathom Ghost change :(
Very random, but I was confused why something felt [i]off[/i] about my baby, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91816991]Lesion[/url], today. I looked around and noticed he (transmasc dragon) was missing his nostrils today. Before [img]https://i.postimg.cc/y60cZD8t/91816991-350.png[/img] After [img]https://i.postimg.cc/hPgxbKJj/91816991-350-1.png[/img] I went searching for answers, and came across the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/3344750/1#post_3344750]Fathom Gene Errors Thread[/url], where it was announced that [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/3344750/3#post_57233507]this gene was fixed[/url] due to Fathoms not having nostrils I don't know. I really do not like it, and I'm quite bummed out. I really love Lesion and how he came out, and this change, even if small, really bugs me. Aghhh Mostly just a vent post, I am pretty certain this will not be reverted. IDK...
Very random, but I was confused why something felt off about my baby, Lesion, today. I looked around and noticed he (transmasc dragon) was missing his nostrils today.

Before
91816991-350.png

After
91816991-350-1.png

I went searching for answers, and came across the Fathom Gene Errors Thread, where it was announced that this gene was fixed due to Fathoms not having nostrils

I don't know. I really do not like it, and I'm quite bummed out. I really love Lesion and how he came out, and this change, even if small, really bugs me. Aghhh

Mostly just a vent post, I am pretty certain this will not be reverted. IDK...
DRAGONFORGE HATCHERY
Born from the Hearts of Steel
Edgy - Bold - Dark - Sinister
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cHa0MYt.png Oo1lWlZ.png 7DcAca6.png t7CcZoC.png jA5A7gu.png Vs2WmBF.png NlmYDAS.png qhK4FYS.png D59sJi1.png
Ooof yeah. I understand that makes it "correct" but it def feels sort of uncanny valley now, imo.
Ooof yeah. I understand that makes it "correct" but it def feels sort of uncanny valley now, imo.
beacon of the radiant eye terarrium & iri | FR+2 | lightdom | imperial dragons #1 fan
badge hub & wishlist | art shop | avatar dragon
howdy folks. i like dogs, baking, cooking, illustration, and high-fantasy stuff! you can find me at your local renaissance faire dressed up as an elf, probably :)
nooo thats so sad :( i know hes not the same as before but lesion still looks really cool--i really want a ghost fathom because I love how the bone markings look on their big hands/feet
nooo thats so sad :( i know hes not the same as before but lesion still looks really cool--i really want a ghost fathom because I love how the bone markings look on their big hands/feet
LoreAccent ShopWishlistAvatar Dragon
@Irithyll This is exactly how I feel. He looks very odd to me now, and his face was a huge like for me before this change. Part of the reason I love "skeleton" stuff so much is because how its a cool balance of positive and negative space in these sick forms. IDK how to properly explain it- but yeah, uncanny is def the right word. @wishwosh Oh yeah, I will still love him as much as before! I just feel bad that his nostrils were stolen [emoji=coatl sad size=1] But same same, I love how his peets look so much!! and thank you!! :D
@Irithyll
This is exactly how I feel. He looks very odd to me now, and his face was a huge like for me before this change. Part of the reason I love "skeleton" stuff so much is because how its a cool balance of positive and negative space in these sick forms. IDK how to properly explain it- but yeah, uncanny is def the right word.

@wishwosh Oh yeah, I will still love him as much as before! I just feel bad that his nostrils were stolen But same same, I love how his peets look so much!! and thank you!! :D
DRAGONFORGE HATCHERY
cHa0MYt.png Oo1lWlZ.png 7DcAca6.png t7CcZoC.png jA5A7gu.png Vs2WmBF.png NlmYDAS.png qhK4FYS.png D59sJi1.png
ah, personally I'm glad they made the change because the nose holes have been bugging me, but on this dragon I can see what you mean about the balance now being kind of off :(
ah, personally I'm glad they made the change because the nose holes have been bugging me, but on this dragon I can see what you mean about the balance now being kind of off :(
~~~~ hello ^^ ~~~~
ara - 21 - she/any
pings and messages
always welcome :)
-
hh5n4WA.pngmlHpBMC.png
tqGkHih.png0XHtpWy.png
P4eo1Gw.png

---
Accent: petals of violet
500g/kt each
@arawoods
Yeahh. I suppose it's for the better, if they want accuracy over all, and I completely respect that view. From my own bias, however, it does disappoint me due to such.

Looking at him now, I see how the nose hole matched very well with the marbling of the tide and foam gene as well, but that is lost in the new look. For this specific case, that is unfortunate :[
@arawoods
Yeahh. I suppose it's for the better, if they want accuracy over all, and I completely respect that view. From my own bias, however, it does disappoint me due to such.

Looking at him now, I see how the nose hole matched very well with the marbling of the tide and foam gene as well, but that is lost in the new look. For this specific case, that is unfortunate :[
DRAGONFORGE HATCHERY
Oof, yeah, when I saw the Fathom Ghost change listed, I was really glad I didn't have any Fathoms with Ghost. Ghost isn't an actual skeleton, it's just markings, so looking cool > anatomical correctness for me, and no nostril holes to see the Primary through changes the balance so much.

Like, I can think of some scenarios in which I might want it, but on the whole I think I'll probably be avoiding it because it's not the look I want out of Ghost (and that full-coverage feel is why I avoid it on Snappers even though they have the nostril holes and a lot more of the Primary visible along the jawline— their heads are so big in the art that Ghost ends up taking up a lot more visual presence than on breeds with smaller heads like Fae or Mirrors.)

Ultimately, my opinion doesn't matter much— I'll just use it on the breeds I like it on and keep avoiding it for the breeds I don't, no big— but I am very sympathetic to those who already had Ghost and liked the way it looked before the fix. Lesion looks awesome either way, but the nostril holes version definitely feels more balanced.
Oof, yeah, when I saw the Fathom Ghost change listed, I was really glad I didn't have any Fathoms with Ghost. Ghost isn't an actual skeleton, it's just markings, so looking cool > anatomical correctness for me, and no nostril holes to see the Primary through changes the balance so much.

Like, I can think of some scenarios in which I might want it, but on the whole I think I'll probably be avoiding it because it's not the look I want out of Ghost (and that full-coverage feel is why I avoid it on Snappers even though they have the nostril holes and a lot more of the Primary visible along the jawline— their heads are so big in the art that Ghost ends up taking up a lot more visual presence than on breeds with smaller heads like Fae or Mirrors.)

Ultimately, my opinion doesn't matter much— I'll just use it on the breeds I like it on and keep avoiding it for the breeds I don't, no big— but I am very sympathetic to those who already had Ghost and liked the way it looked before the fix. Lesion looks awesome either way, but the nostril holes version definitely feels more balanced.
That's an odd choice. As a dinosaur fan those didn't read as nostrils to me to begin with, lots of animals have extra holes in their skulls that don't translate to nostrils at all, and that pattern is too thick to translate as something more dolphin or whale like where you wouldn't see the nostrils (usually located above the eyes) nor does it read as more fish-like.

Weird.

What sort of anatomy are they basing it off of then?
That's an odd choice. As a dinosaur fan those didn't read as nostrils to me to begin with, lots of animals have extra holes in their skulls that don't translate to nostrils at all, and that pattern is too thick to translate as something more dolphin or whale like where you wouldn't see the nostrils (usually located above the eyes) nor does it read as more fish-like.

Weird.

Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
actuallyadinosaur a tiny doodle of a small goose like dinosaur with yellow beak white feathers and red eyes
Aw, that's too bad - I also preferred the earlier version despite it being technically inaccurate. I'd be bummed too if he were my dragon. (Overall though, he still looks great.)
Aw, that's too bad - I also preferred the earlier version despite it being technically inaccurate. I'd be bummed too if he were my dragon. (Overall though, he still looks great.)
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge (Koi Edition)
[quote name="Halszkaraptor" date="2024-07-22 09:32:28" ] That's an odd choice. As a dinosaur fan those didn't read as nostrils to me to begin with, lots of animals have extra holes in their skulls that don't translate to nostrils at all, and that pattern is too thick to translate as something more dolphin or whale like where you wouldn't see the nostrils (usually located above the eyes) nor does it read as more fish-like. Weird. What sort of anatomy are they basing it off of then? [/quote] They didn't read that way to me, either, but the reported reason for the fix was "Fathom should had the nostril markings removed, as they have no nostrils," so I guess they were supposed to be that? Or enough people interpreted it as nostrils and reported it as a bug that the devs felt they had to change it even if it hadn't been intended that way originally. (Or rather, I should say, I guess I read them as [i]related[/i] to nostrils, because a fair amount of fish do have nasal cavities despite not being used for breathing. Even the kinds of catfish who "smell" through chemoreceptors on their skin seem to have extra holes in their skull. But IDK much about the functionality of fish skulls in particular and/or how much is vestigial stuff bc evolution, because plenty of fish do smell through nasal cavities.)
Halszkaraptor wrote on 2024-07-22 09:32:28:

Weird.

They didn't read that way to me, either, but the reported reason for the fix was "Fathom should had the nostril markings removed, as they have no nostrils," so I guess they were supposed to be that? Or enough people interpreted it as nostrils and reported it as a bug that the devs felt they had to change it even if it hadn't been intended that way originally.

(Or rather, I should say, I guess I read them as related to nostrils, because a fair amount of fish do have nasal cavities despite not being used for breathing. Even the kinds of catfish who "smell" through chemoreceptors on their skin seem to have extra holes in their skull. But IDK much about the functionality of fish skulls in particular and/or how much is vestigial stuff bc evolution, because plenty of fish do smell through nasal cavities.)