Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | questions for lore folks
So back before I was a G1 lair (like 8 years ago), I was a heavily lore-focused lair. I've been in sort of a writing slump lately and thought that getting back into writing lore on here might help me out, especially since I've been wanting to do so for a while now.

However, back in the day I had a much smaller clan and I would buy dragons with lore for them already in mind. Looking at my lair now, the task seems somewhat daunting. While I do have some lore ideas in mind for a few of them, there are several that I look at and go ??? because I only bought them for how they look or to wear a skin or something.

So, I have some questions for my fellow lore enthusiasts!

First, how did you begin your lore? Did you have an overall plot/theme in mind and build from there? Did you start with a single dragon and build the world around that? I'd be super interested in hearing what your process is/was.

Second, how do you decide which dragons to keep or get rid of? I've been really struggling with this because I have some dragons that are kinda old and/or have special hatch dates, but I'm not particularly attached to them anymore. I could probably come up with something lore-related for them, but I'm not sure if it's worth keeping the dragons/projects if my only attachment is age and such.

Third, what do you do with dragons that you don't know what to do with/how to characterize? Do you use prompt/character generators to get ideas or is there some other way you like to approach it? Do you just get rid of them if you can't think of anything for them after a certain period of time?

I'm very interested in hearing what everyone has to say! Feel free to add anything you think might be relevant to the topic; I love hearing about people's lore. :>
So back before I was a G1 lair (like 8 years ago), I was a heavily lore-focused lair. I've been in sort of a writing slump lately and thought that getting back into writing lore on here might help me out, especially since I've been wanting to do so for a while now.

However, back in the day I had a much smaller clan and I would buy dragons with lore for them already in mind. Looking at my lair now, the task seems somewhat daunting. While I do have some lore ideas in mind for a few of them, there are several that I look at and go ??? because I only bought them for how they look or to wear a skin or something.

So, I have some questions for my fellow lore enthusiasts!

First, how did you begin your lore? Did you have an overall plot/theme in mind and build from there? Did you start with a single dragon and build the world around that? I'd be super interested in hearing what your process is/was.

Second, how do you decide which dragons to keep or get rid of? I've been really struggling with this because I have some dragons that are kinda old and/or have special hatch dates, but I'm not particularly attached to them anymore. I could probably come up with something lore-related for them, but I'm not sure if it's worth keeping the dragons/projects if my only attachment is age and such.

Third, what do you do with dragons that you don't know what to do with/how to characterize? Do you use prompt/character generators to get ideas or is there some other way you like to approach it? Do you just get rid of them if you can't think of anything for them after a certain period of time?

I'm very interested in hearing what everyone has to say! Feel free to add anything you think might be relevant to the topic; I love hearing about people's lore. :>
[img alt="A black and white penguin waddling back an forth on top of the forum post."]https://64.media.tumblr.com/765c9abd2035005cdeac9f171180f8df/tumblr_n9jundzMHn1sh2doyo1_540.gif[/img] [color=412924][size=4][font=cambria]My lore is more a traveler's guide than an actual story, tho it does say how my clan got to Ancura Archipelago and their current lifestyle here [emoji=normal eyes size=1] If you struggle to write individual dragons' lore, you could build from somethin' more general like this and then assign important roles to dragons based on what their society is like For example, how do they deliver messages and packages? Who does that job and why do they like it? Does that courier dragon have to deal with thieves tryin' to steal their cargo?
A black and white penguin waddling back an forth on top of the forum post.
My lore is more a traveler's guide than an actual story, tho it does say how my clan got to Ancura Archipelago and their current lifestyle here

If you struggle to write individual dragons' lore, you could build from somethin' more general like this and then assign important roles to dragons based on what their society is like

For example, how do they deliver messages and packages? Who does that job and why do they like it? Does that courier dragon have to deal with thieves tryin' to steal their cargo?
UDy41Fx.png
Well, in the beginning, I wasn't a lore lair. I just collected dragons that reminded me of my OCs and named them after them.

I don't remember what made me want to actually tie them together and turn it into lore, but part of it was the thrill of having OCs who would never interact in my headworld have a chance to interact with each other in, well, an AU.

It took me a long time to figure out a working name, but I believe the empire idea was due to an obsession with a story album my favourite band came out with, which revolves around an empire.

I usually boot dragons when they don't inspire ideas anymore (which hasn't happened in a long time tbh) or if I want to replace them with a more fitting dragon, especially since back when I first started playing around with things, I wanted different elements because I wasn't going off of them originally for some. The lack of inspiration thing doesn't really happen anymore since I'm very selective with who I want to be in my lair now. It sometimes does make deciding what to do with hatched G1s kinda difficult though xD

I have some that I have basic ideas for and that's it. I just usually develop them slowly xD It's not rare for me to find a song and suddenly I have some ideas for one of the characters in my lair! But yeah, if they don't spark joy after a while and I know I won't feel bad getting rid of them, they'd get the boot. I'm trying to avoid doing that now since I want to actually develop some of these guys (especially since I don't want to boot G1s/anything old).

I do try at least giving them a potential role to at least help them grow. That's why even ones with only basic ideas are still sorted into specific tabs.
Well, in the beginning, I wasn't a lore lair. I just collected dragons that reminded me of my OCs and named them after them.

I don't remember what made me want to actually tie them together and turn it into lore, but part of it was the thrill of having OCs who would never interact in my headworld have a chance to interact with each other in, well, an AU.

It took me a long time to figure out a working name, but I believe the empire idea was due to an obsession with a story album my favourite band came out with, which revolves around an empire.

I usually boot dragons when they don't inspire ideas anymore (which hasn't happened in a long time tbh) or if I want to replace them with a more fitting dragon, especially since back when I first started playing around with things, I wanted different elements because I wasn't going off of them originally for some. The lack of inspiration thing doesn't really happen anymore since I'm very selective with who I want to be in my lair now. It sometimes does make deciding what to do with hatched G1s kinda difficult though xD

I have some that I have basic ideas for and that's it. I just usually develop them slowly xD It's not rare for me to find a song and suddenly I have some ideas for one of the characters in my lair! But yeah, if they don't spark joy after a while and I know I won't feel bad getting rid of them, they'd get the boot. I'm trying to avoid doing that now since I want to actually develop some of these guys (especially since I don't want to boot G1s/anything old).

I do try at least giving them a potential role to at least help them grow. That's why even ones with only basic ideas are still sorted into specific tabs.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
[quote]First, how did you begin your lore? Did you have an overall plot/theme in mind and build from there? Did you start with a single dragon and build the world around that? I'd be super interested in hearing what your process is/was.[/quote] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/50065628]My lair is split into multiple worlds[/url], with different pages being different stories. I begin with a setting. Then I gradually add dragons to that setting, and through them a story starts to form. I don't work with linear stories, instead being more interested in creating a world where my dragons are inhabitants. Kinda like creating a level in a game and populating it with NPCs. [quote]Second, how do you decide which dragons to keep or get rid of? I've been really struggling with this because I have some dragons that are kinda old and/or have special hatch dates, but I'm not particularly attached to them anymore. I could probably come up with something lore-related for them, but I'm not sure if it's worth keeping the dragons/projects if my only attachment is age and such.[/quote] Stick them in a hib den tab specially made for dragons you're wavering on. After a month or so, go back to that tab and see which ones you miss. If you want to go deeper you can add a tier system, where you sort dragons based on which ones you like most. Whenever I buy a dragon lore is always an afterthought. I get them because I like their colours or they have some special property like age, and then I find a way to fit them into my lore. But that's just me. There's no wrong or right reason when it comes to deciding which dragons to keep. All comes down to what feels right to you. [quote]Third, what do you do with dragons that you don't know what to do with/how to characterize? Do you use prompt/character generators to get ideas or is there some other way you like to approach it? Do you just get rid of them if you can't think of anything for them after a certain period of time?[/quote] Brute force it. I write a random prompt and run with it. Worst that can happen is that it's terrible and I need to rewrite it. Sometimes I base their lore on whatever show I'm watching. Got a favourite character? Use them as a template. I also let myself be imperfect and try to be realistic about my workload. This is a site I engage with as a hobby, not work, so I keep all of my bios short. It's better that my dragon has a terrible one-liner bio than none at all. I can always go back later and rewrite/add more if I want to.
Quote:

My lair is split into multiple worlds, with different pages being different stories.

I begin with a setting. Then I gradually add dragons to that setting, and through them a story starts to form. I don't work with linear stories, instead being more interested in creating a world where my dragons are inhabitants. Kinda like creating a level in a game and populating it with NPCs.

Quote:

Stick them in a hib den tab specially made for dragons you're wavering on. After a month or so, go back to that tab and see which ones you miss. If you want to go deeper you can add a tier system, where you sort dragons based on which ones you like most.

Whenever I buy a dragon lore is always an afterthought. I get them because I like their colours or they have some special property like age, and then I find a way to fit them into my lore. But that's just me. There's no wrong or right reason when it comes to deciding which dragons to keep. All comes down to what feels right to you.

Quote:

Brute force it. I write a random prompt and run with it. Worst that can happen is that it's terrible and I need to rewrite it. Sometimes I base their lore on whatever show I'm watching. Got a favourite character? Use them as a template.

I also let myself be imperfect and try to be realistic about my workload. This is a site I engage with as a hobby, not work, so I keep all of my bios short. It's better that my dragon has a terrible one-liner bio than none at all. I can always go back later and rewrite/add more if I want to.
My lore is inspired by another game I enjoy, The Long Dark, it's still not fully written but the gist of it is that an aurora borealis is causing unnatural fenomena in the clan's territory, such as memory loss, eternal night around the lair, accelerated decay in food / organic materials, and increased aggression in wildlife So another approach you could consider: take inspiration from other stories you like or find interesting, and turn them into your own [emoji=sunglasses size=1]
My lore is inspired by another game I enjoy, The Long Dark, it's still not fully written but the gist of it is that an aurora borealis is causing unnatural fenomena in the clan's territory, such as memory loss, eternal night around the lair, accelerated decay in food / organic materials, and increased aggression in wildlife

So another approach you could consider: take inspiration from other stories you like or find interesting, and turn them into your own
3bb19a2e65e428d24c93ae6e9f17e77973c939ea.png
sg0ki88.png
ov8ay5N.png
YUEtAn1.png
uN17MNu.png
dEe2UrM.png
0mOYsUn.png
[quote name="Gusui" date="2024-07-18 02:29:37" ] First, how did you begin your lore? Did you have an overall plot/theme in mind and build from there? Did you start with a single dragon and build the world around that? I'd be super interested in hearing what your process is/was. [/quote] I started with a concept and a location. I was really into the Magnus Archives at the time, generally really liked horror and monsters and especially small town horror, and had realized Arcane played into that specific niche of cosmic horror I enjoyed so much. So, because Arcane was the researcher flight and I was into TMA... I decided to make my lore revolve around a group of dragons researching the supernatural. I set it in the Starwood Strand because the fest scene was gorgeous and it gave me more small town vibes, and began developing this narrative of the big ominous monster-capturing scientific facility looming over this run-down, wary town. The actual story came much later. Every ominous company has some shady investors and leaders, obviously, so obviously that was something I wrote in eventually. Then it just happened that over time as I got new dragons for my lair, I started finding ways to connect them to these initial dragons and begin fleshing out this vague idea for [i]why[/i] these guys were so shady. I started asking what they were up to, why they needed these specific players in their plans, what places or events were involved and why? The questions came naturally. It did require me rewriting some fellas to really become invested in their lore and thus their story, since they were pretty old and underdeveloped. But once I did, it just sorta started falling into place. I started with a small handful of dragons from my old lair that I stripped of their previous apparel and re-made, then picked up new guys here and there. [quote name="Gusui" date="2024-07-18 02:29:37" ] Second, how do you decide which dragons to keep or get rid of? [/quote] I don't actually remember what my justifications were, because if I think back on it, they all seem completely random. There's some I know were because I had a personal attachment to the dragon, some that were just because they were extremely pretty and I wanted to use them again, and some I'm ????? Genuinely no clue, lad. But what I DID do was put everyone I wasn't definitely attached to in my hibden. .... They're all still there, and I very much need to figure out what I'm gonna do with them one day, since it looks likely I'm gonna start using my hibden genuinely eventually due to how big my lair is. So my answer honestly is to not think about it that hard. You don't need to make one big decision right now, you'll figure it out over time. [quote name="Gusui" date="2024-07-18 02:29:37" ] Third, what do you do with dragons that you don't know what to do with/how to characterize? Do you use prompt/character generators to get ideas or is there some other way you like to approach it? Do you just get rid of them if you can't think of anything for them after a certain period of time? [/quote] Straight up I keep them until I come up with something. Sometimes I ask friends for ideas, sometimes I redress them if its really not vibing, but my best advice truly is just to be engaging in a lot of other stories. Inspiration doesn't usually come from thin air, you need to be reading and watching and playing other things that might knock ideas loose from your brain. Stretch your legs a little. This advice carries into ANYTHING creative. You never know when that next story will have you finally go OH I know what this dragon makes me think of!! I know how to write them!! Finally.... some general advice? It does NOT have to be super unique, original, and stunning. It doesn't have to be professionally done or please anyone except yourself, because ultimately you're writing for fun. Think of like an exercise more than a serious project.
Gusui wrote on 2024-07-18 02:29:37:
I started with a concept and a location. I was really into the Magnus Archives at the time, generally really liked horror and monsters and especially small town horror, and had realized Arcane played into that specific niche of cosmic horror I enjoyed so much. So, because Arcane was the researcher flight and I was into TMA... I decided to make my lore revolve around a group of dragons researching the supernatural. I set it in the Starwood Strand because the fest scene was gorgeous and it gave me more small town vibes, and began developing this narrative of the big ominous monster-capturing scientific facility looming over this run-down, wary town.
The actual story came much later. Every ominous company has some shady investors and leaders, obviously, so obviously that was something I wrote in eventually. Then it just happened that over time as I got new dragons for my lair, I started finding ways to connect them to these initial dragons and begin fleshing out this vague idea for why these guys were so shady. I started asking what they were up to, why they needed these specific players in their plans, what places or events were involved and why? The questions came naturally. It did require me rewriting some fellas to really become invested in their lore and thus their story, since they were pretty old and underdeveloped. But once I did, it just sorta started falling into place.
I started with a small handful of dragons from my old lair that I stripped of their previous apparel and re-made, then picked up new guys here and there.
Second, how do you decide which dragons to keep or get rid of?
I don't actually remember what my justifications were, because if I think back on it, they all seem completely random. There's some I know were because I had a personal attachment to the dragon, some that were just because they were extremely pretty and I wanted to use them again, and some I'm ?????
Genuinely no clue, lad.
But what I DID do was put everyone I wasn't definitely attached to in my hibden. .... They're all still there, and I very much need to figure out what I'm gonna do with them one day, since it looks likely I'm gonna start using my hibden genuinely eventually due to how big my lair is. So my answer honestly is to not think about it that hard. You don't need to make one big decision right now, you'll figure it out over time.
Straight up I keep them until I come up with something. Sometimes I ask friends for ideas, sometimes I redress them if its really not vibing, but my best advice truly is just to be engaging in a lot of other stories. Inspiration doesn't usually come from thin air, you need to be reading and watching and playing other things that might knock ideas loose from your brain. Stretch your legs a little. This advice carries into ANYTHING creative. You never know when that next story will have you finally go OH I know what this dragon makes me think of!! I know how to write them!!

Finally.... some general advice? It does NOT have to be super unique, original, and stunning. It doesn't have to be professionally done or please anyone except yourself, because ultimately you're writing for fun. Think of like an exercise more than a serious project.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome