Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | worries/hopes about FR's art direction
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
I've loved reading through this thread; you all bring up a lot of valid points and I especially appreciate the demonstration of varying head shapes that got added to the front page. There's an entire world of animals and mythology to pull ideas from for dragon designs, and while there have been some real standout ancients -- Aberrations and Aethers come to mind -- a lot of them feel like they just haven't been pushed far enough. A lot of them are very [i]safe[/i] designs. And after a certain number of those very safe designs I really start to crave something different. Variety is the spice of character designs. I think if the artists could make all the modern secondary genes and all the site's existing apparel work on Obelisks, a breed with a massive curly mane to accommodate, then a wider assortment of proportions and anatomy and shape language and body plans in a context where you don't even have to worry about clothes is something the art team is more than capable of executing. I really hope that we get to see more of that kind of variety down the line. Ridgebacks and Bogsneaks and Snappers may not be the most popular breeds, but the site would be lesser without their being here. -- Just to contribute a small example of my own... Undertides. I have my criticisms of them, and if I were in charge of designing them I would execute pretty differently on the concept, but they're largely fine. They're big snake-like sea serpents. It works. They're pretty cool. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=21&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=130&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=5&auth=23256c63bc6edadb0621776c62941a536efa05d6&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=21&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=130&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=5&auth=2e2a7e77b85679b3e257f0213106cafcb3d3b0f6&dummyext=prev.png[/img] But imagine if, say, you decided to take their fairly "standard" reptilian facial structure, which is pretty common among FR's dragons already, and pushed it to be more like one of the animals that inspired them, eels: [img]https://i.imgur.com/InrzWGF.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/pp5lAi2.png[/img] Even with just that small change, I think that looks more interesting! That's a face we haven't seen on any of the other dragon breeds, it's appropriate for the breed's theme and other inspirations, it's weird and delightful. --- And as an aside; [quote name="Requacy" date="2024-04-21 14:00:18" ] [font=american gothic][size=4]I think part of the reason is that artists- self-taught or trained, aren't generally told how to draw fat animals. Most of the resources that exist generally trend towards dogs, horse, and rather muscular birds like raptors. (Not to mention heaven forbid you want to draw invertebrates.) [/quote] Oh I sympathize so much about invertebrates. I've been trying to study bugs more this year to figure out how to draw them, and there's so few resources or good reference photos, it's driving me batty. I'm basically having to do 100% of the work learning to stylize them on my own. But search up dogs and you've got a zillion illustrators interpretations to look for ideas in...
I've loved reading through this thread; you all bring up a lot of valid points and I especially appreciate the demonstration of varying head shapes that got added to the front page.

There's an entire world of animals and mythology to pull ideas from for dragon designs, and while there have been some real standout ancients -- Aberrations and Aethers come to mind -- a lot of them feel like they just haven't been pushed far enough. A lot of them are very safe designs. And after a certain number of those very safe designs I really start to crave something different.

Variety is the spice of character designs. I think if the artists could make all the modern secondary genes and all the site's existing apparel work on Obelisks, a breed with a massive curly mane to accommodate, then a wider assortment of proportions and anatomy and shape language and body plans in a context where you don't even have to worry about clothes is something the art team is more than capable of executing. I really hope that we get to see more of that kind of variety down the line.

Ridgebacks and Bogsneaks and Snappers may not be the most popular breeds, but the site would be lesser without their being here.

--

Just to contribute a small example of my own... Undertides. I have my criticisms of them, and if I were in charge of designing them I would execute pretty differently on the concept, but they're largely fine. They're big snake-like sea serpents. It works. They're pretty cool.

dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=21&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=130&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=5&auth=23256c63bc6edadb0621776c62941a536efa05d6&dummyext=prev.png dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=21&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=130&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=5&auth=2e2a7e77b85679b3e257f0213106cafcb3d3b0f6&dummyext=prev.png

But imagine if, say, you decided to take their fairly "standard" reptilian facial structure, which is pretty common among FR's dragons already, and pushed it to be more like one of the animals that inspired them, eels:

InrzWGF.png pp5lAi2.png

Even with just that small change, I think that looks more interesting! That's a face we haven't seen on any of the other dragon breeds, it's appropriate for the breed's theme and other inspirations, it's weird and delightful.

---

And as an aside;
Requacy wrote on 2024-04-21 14:00:18:
I think part of the reason is that artists- self-taught or trained, aren't generally told how to draw fat animals. Most of the resources that exist generally trend towards dogs, horse, and rather muscular birds like raptors. (Not to mention heaven forbid you want to draw invertebrates.)

Oh I sympathize so much about invertebrates. I've been trying to study bugs more this year to figure out how to draw them, and there's so few resources or good reference photos, it's driving me batty. I'm basically having to do 100% of the work learning to stylize them on my own. But search up dogs and you've got a zillion illustrators interpretations to look for ideas in...
Wind House Cup 2023 Superstorm Badge 20x20.png?css=%7B%22opacity%22%3A%220%22%7D&dummyext=.png
Gradually reading through this thread I think it's really interesting. Don't have much to add but I love seeing all the comparisons laid out
Gradually reading through this thread I think it's really interesting. Don't have much to add but I love seeing all the comparisons laid out
Please ping me when you reply to my
posts or I probably won't see it.
I don't really sub to my topics, so
Unless I specify, ping me
tumblr_nm1sm0uXkM1tfzajgo3_r1_75sq.gif tumblr_n4rnlnlsOx1sl6hkto5_250.gif
This thread was such a pleasure to read! I agree with OP, especially seeing it all laid out. Sure, the new breeds have been pretty, but I want something truly weird. And chunky. I was expecting centipede dragons, elephant dragons, weird little scraggly dragons. I do think that Aberrations came the closest to nailing the weird factor that I wanted, but I want more! Part of what makes Nocturnes so charming is their big chubby tummies and jagged jawlines. More of that, please!

This thread was such a pleasure to read! I agree with OP, especially seeing it all laid out. Sure, the new breeds have been pretty, but I want something truly weird. And chunky. I was expecting centipede dragons, elephant dragons, weird little scraggly dragons. I do think that Aberrations came the closest to nailing the weird factor that I wanted, but I want more! Part of what makes Nocturnes so charming is their big chubby tummies and jagged jawlines. More of that, please!

I think the rush to push ancients out so option has really taken a toll on the art staff, instead of being able to cook up really interesting and unique designs it feels like they're valuing quantity > quality .

Saw someone on tumblr say that they wished ancients were like applying the tyrannian paint brush on neopets; just a rougher prehistoric version of the moderns like gaolers seem to be to tundras. I gotta say I think that would have been a really fun direction
I think the rush to push ancients out so option has really taken a toll on the art staff, instead of being able to cook up really interesting and unique designs it feels like they're valuing quantity > quality .

Saw someone on tumblr say that they wished ancients were like applying the tyrannian paint brush on neopets; just a rougher prehistoric version of the moderns like gaolers seem to be to tundras. I gotta say I think that would have been a really fun direction
Elsie | She / they|
I have a wishlist / trading thread! x
7J1Hgbi.pngYya65zH.pngy6Tz96p.png
[quote name="Mangoeclipse" date="2024-04-21 18:26:22" ] I think the rush to push ancients out so option has really taken a toll on the art staff, instead of being able to cook up really interesting and unique designs it feels like they're valuing quantity > quality . Saw someone on tumblr say that they wished ancients were like applying the tyrannian paint brush on neopets; just a rougher prehistoric version of the moderns like gaolers seem to be to tundras. I gotta say I think that would have been a really fun direction [/quote] [url=https://www.tumblr.com/flightdescending/748332503958519808/some-ancient-designs-for-if-ancients-were-more?source=share]linking that post here[/url] because it's definitely captures what I was hoping for, both in terms of character design variation and concept! (Though I recognize this simply isn't a design flaw and is fully personal grievance, still disappointed nature's ancient isn't dinosaur themed - wildclaws don't particularly capture what I love about dinosaurs. The oviraptor dragon here would have been my whole lair.)
Mangoeclipse wrote on 2024-04-21 18:26:22:

linking that post here because it's definitely captures what I was hoping for, both in terms of character design variation and concept!

(Though I recognize this simply isn't a design flaw and is fully personal grievance, still disappointed nature's ancient isn't dinosaur themed - wildclaws don't particularly capture what I love about dinosaurs. The oviraptor dragon here would have been my whole lair.)
ddf14fccc180097144f291655e5a96883a004a4f.png
this thread is interesting and thoughtful
this thread is interesting and thoughtful
@bulrush chiming in from my paleontology class. Ankles are a big thing with posturing and supporting weight of the creature. Along with the hips and shoulders and how the spine aligns. One of the things that bugs me with wildclaws are their tails. Tails in raptor dinosaurs are straight and parallel to the ground and acts as a pivot balance for the hips. There shouldn't be a bend. There's only a bend because of artistic image restrictions.
@bulrush chiming in from my paleontology class. Ankles are a big thing with posturing and supporting weight of the creature. Along with the hips and shoulders and how the spine aligns. One of the things that bugs me with wildclaws are their tails. Tails in raptor dinosaurs are straight and parallel to the ground and acts as a pivot balance for the hips. There shouldn't be a bend. There's only a bend because of artistic image restrictions.
FeIiZnO.png
@Anky there's probably an art to working around the image size restrictions but i never really considered that it might factor in to anatomical decisions as well. it could maybe explain why we're having more sinuous ancients lately and why body proportions have been a lot more similar (the latter is moreso undel finding the style she likes for newer attempts at designs).
@Anky there's probably an art to working around the image size restrictions but i never really considered that it might factor in to anatomical decisions as well. it could maybe explain why we're having more sinuous ancients lately and why body proportions have been a lot more similar (the latter is moreso undel finding the style she likes for newer attempts at designs).
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
The Flight Rising team needs to make money. They have the metrics for what dragons sell the most or drive the most engagement. They will most likely continue to make designs that feature popular traits to drive more sales. The most popular breeds are: - Skydancers - Imperials - Wildclaws - Coatls Least popular are - Snappers - Mirrors - Ridgebacks Things in common with these are fluffy/feathery, and with more appealing body shapes that can take on apparel easier. Dragons that are fat, feature large odd appendages, or have scuffed poses are always going to be less popular. The demographics of this site will most likely dictate this the most. I'm all for new designs that break the pattern but I think the best solution here is to have a generically appealing base body plan, and then doing the more experimental changes via tertiary genes, especially in the case of [emoji=ancient size=1] Ancient dragons. They have been doing this pretty consistently, I feel. Could possibly push these even further if they wanted to.
The Flight Rising team needs to make money. They have the metrics for what dragons sell the most or drive the most engagement. They will most likely continue to make designs that feature popular traits to drive more sales.

The most popular breeds are:
- Skydancers
- Imperials
- Wildclaws
- Coatls

Least popular are
- Snappers
- Mirrors
- Ridgebacks

Things in common with these are fluffy/feathery, and with more appealing body shapes that can take on apparel easier. Dragons that are fat, feature large odd appendages, or have scuffed poses are always going to be less popular. The demographics of this site will most likely dictate this the most.

I'm all for new designs that break the pattern but I think the best solution here is to have a generically appealing base body plan, and then doing the more experimental changes via tertiary genes, especially in the case of Ancient dragons. They have been doing this pretty consistently, I feel. Could possibly push these even further if they wanted to.
PGT9Cqb.png
I’d definitely love to see a blubbery seal-like dragon! And some with more classic long dragon shoots.
I’d definitely love to see a blubbery seal-like dragon! And some with more classic long dragon shoots.
50027313-70-F2-43-D9-82-A8-1-ADC374-D795-D.pngLittle-art-shop-icon.png81-C46502-A45-B-4-A84-BD72-4-A4-A8-F6-E73-B3.pngLittle-wishlist-icon.pngaccent-shop.png
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18