Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The Tech Disparity is Kinda Funny
1 2 3 4
I think that's partly why I like being in the wind flight. We have technology, but it's very much ecofriendly, and pretty self-sustainable. It feels like a healthy communal environment. Like I could generate me own electricity and have my own garden where I trade produce with my neighbors. I wish the real world was like that, but at least my pretend dragons get to live in the community I long for.
I think that's partly why I like being in the wind flight. We have technology, but it's very much ecofriendly, and pretty self-sustainable. It feels like a healthy communal environment. Like I could generate me own electricity and have my own garden where I trade produce with my neighbors. I wish the real world was like that, but at least my pretend dragons get to live in the community I long for.
cuNHUbU.png1rAc41Y.gifsmall_Zephyrus.png
It's very Final Fantasy esque in that aspect - you have swords and magic mixed in with steampunk technology and airships and such.

I was wondering why lightning haven't built a continent wide train network yet, but then I realised that they're dragons. They can just hop into a high altitude wind stream and fly wherever they want. In that sense, there's probably some parts of technology that maybe dragons just don't need.
It's very Final Fantasy esque in that aspect - you have swords and magic mixed in with steampunk technology and airships and such.

I was wondering why lightning haven't built a continent wide train network yet, but then I realised that they're dragons. They can just hop into a high altitude wind stream and fly wherever they want. In that sense, there's probably some parts of technology that maybe dragons just don't need.
Come visit my lore lair! It's a fun time here.

Something strange is happening on Sornieth. All across the world, dragons have begun to be born with multiple elements. How? Why? As dragons all across Sornieth takes notice, the wheel of fate begins to turn, as one fae's search for her mysterious origins leads her down a path that could change Sornieth forever.
I think it's the fact that there's magic as well. No need to build high tech flying machines when wind dragons are much more efficient anyways
I think it's the fact that there's magic as well. No need to build high tech flying machines when wind dragons are much more efficient anyways
6wR17En.png
[quote name="Abigailment" date="2024-01-14 09:43:39" ] [quote name="@RheoTastic" date="2024-01-13 15:49:36" ] I love flight rising tech disparity so much. dragons be working 9 to 5 jobs, have structured salary and employee hierarchy, and also they eat live animals like apples [/quote] gonna be real for a min i thought you were implying that apples are live animals [/quote] That should be a familiar!
Abigailment wrote on 2024-01-14 09:43:39:
@RheoTastic wrote on 2024-01-13 15:49:36:
I love flight rising tech disparity so much. dragons be working 9 to 5 jobs, have structured salary and employee hierarchy, and also they eat live animals like apples
gonna be real for a min i thought you were implying that apples are live animals
That should be a familiar!
YOauEPv.gif[/url I never knew Flight Rising had a forum for the longest time. Now that I do, so far it's awesome.
Yeah, one of the reasons I love FR is because all of the Flights have different themes and areas they excel in!
Yeah, one of the reasons I love FR is because all of the Flights have different themes and areas they excel in!
For me, every day is World Kindness Day. b59f9d9c-60d2-11eb-95e1-814ec59a413c.gifa663c882-026b-11eb-9626-db1f1f278684.gif
It is very funny on the surface, but I think it makes sense when you recontextualize it within the Flight's and their cultures.

Lightning does have all this advanced tech, but Lightning compared to the other Flights is incredibly secretive and self-isolated. They're so solely focused on their one goal of advancement and energy, that their BOTE stories really suggest heavily they don't consider working with the other Flights to be a real option that'd benefit them. That's why they have devices capable of fighting and espionage. They don't want you there, they don't want you having access to the knowledge of how they made all this nonsense in the first place, they're the one Flight currently actively isolating - once again as evidenced by their BOTE stories and the fact they're the ony Flight without a sanctum.
The rest of the world doesn't have Lightning level technology because Lightning doesn't want to give it to them.

Arcane, on the other hand, is simply very one-track minded. They probably could and will where it interests them, they provided the elemental sanctums. But like Lightning, they are interested only in research - where they differ is that they're just too busy working amongst everyone involved in their research already to probably really consider teaching other Flights how to replicate their technology if those other Flights don't reach out to them first. Probably would if someone just showed interest!

.... And everyone else? Why aren't they reaching out? Well, as a good friend of mine once said, "Thog no care".
Nature is on the verge of war with Plague and both Flights are more interested in the research of biology than technology to begin with, Light and Earth are more interested in the past than the future, Fire is figuring it out they just have to rebel about it first but they've got train tracks and furnaces and stuff man they're just in their steam era, Wind also very much has good functional technology it's just very old school and green and magical but they're a nomadic Flight so it makes sense, Ice has a prison to monitor first, Water does also give more of the nomadic vibes so it makes sense their homes are more hastily thrown together and natural than built upon, and Shadow?
Shadow is just vibing. Hangin out. Havin a good time with the magic and the brambles and the whatnot. Laughing at Light and their giant monster.
It is very funny on the surface, but I think it makes sense when you recontextualize it within the Flight's and their cultures.

Lightning does have all this advanced tech, but Lightning compared to the other Flights is incredibly secretive and self-isolated. They're so solely focused on their one goal of advancement and energy, that their BOTE stories really suggest heavily they don't consider working with the other Flights to be a real option that'd benefit them. That's why they have devices capable of fighting and espionage. They don't want you there, they don't want you having access to the knowledge of how they made all this nonsense in the first place, they're the one Flight currently actively isolating - once again as evidenced by their BOTE stories and the fact they're the ony Flight without a sanctum.
The rest of the world doesn't have Lightning level technology because Lightning doesn't want to give it to them.

Arcane, on the other hand, is simply very one-track minded. They probably could and will where it interests them, they provided the elemental sanctums. But like Lightning, they are interested only in research - where they differ is that they're just too busy working amongst everyone involved in their research already to probably really consider teaching other Flights how to replicate their technology if those other Flights don't reach out to them first. Probably would if someone just showed interest!

.... And everyone else? Why aren't they reaching out? Well, as a good friend of mine once said, "Thog no care".
Nature is on the verge of war with Plague and both Flights are more interested in the research of biology than technology to begin with, Light and Earth are more interested in the past than the future, Fire is figuring it out they just have to rebel about it first but they've got train tracks and furnaces and stuff man they're just in their steam era, Wind also very much has good functional technology it's just very old school and green and magical but they're a nomadic Flight so it makes sense, Ice has a prison to monitor first, Water does also give more of the nomadic vibes so it makes sense their homes are more hastily thrown together and natural than built upon, and Shadow?
Shadow is just vibing. Hangin out. Havin a good time with the magic and the brambles and the whatnot. Laughing at Light and their giant monster.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
[quote name="Teeka" date="2024-01-14 11:19:02" ] The tech disparity aspect works fine for me - I just figure that dragons will move to the area that best matches how they want to live and, when necessary, they rely on their own innate magic or that of the area they've moved to to get by. I mean, it's not like the tech disparity matters much when we're talking about giant, magical monsters. A Lightning Flight dragon could make a suit of powered armor, a Nature Flight dragon could grow a bunch of trees and plants to function in the same way (plus use their magic to make it repair itself instantly when damaged), while an Arcane dragon could do the same thing with a bunch of crystals and scraps of parchment with symbols written on them in glowing ink. Then, as the three of them are arguing which has the best thing going on, they all get rolled over by a school of Underides out on their version of a cruise (where they bring water with them to travel to different lakes and ponds farther inland the same way landbound individuals would hop on a boat to visit islands) in a giant hamsterball of magically contained water. [/quote] I’m [i]hollering,[/i] this is so funny
Teeka wrote on 2024-01-14 11:19:02:
The tech disparity aspect works fine for me - I just figure that dragons will move to the area that best matches how they want to live and, when necessary, they rely on their own innate magic or that of the area they've moved to to get by.

I mean, it's not like the tech disparity matters much when we're talking about giant, magical monsters. A Lightning Flight dragon could make a suit of powered armor, a Nature Flight dragon could grow a bunch of trees and plants to function in the same way (plus use their magic to make it repair itself instantly when damaged), while an Arcane dragon could do the same thing with a bunch of crystals and scraps of parchment with symbols written on them in glowing ink. Then, as the three of them are arguing which has the best thing going on, they all get rolled over by a school of Underides out on their version of a cruise (where they bring water with them to travel to different lakes and ponds farther inland the same way landbound individuals would hop on a boat to visit islands) in a giant hamsterball of magically contained water.

I’m hollering, this is so funny
tumblr_o95tvaQl9V1tv56zio6_250.png
Loki - They/Them - FR Time 0+
Lore thread (WIP)
Dressing Service
Call of the Deep Lineage Project
It's so fun to me! Quite a bit of my lore has dragons of different elements influencing how my lair looks or functions, despite it being in the Ashfall Wastes. Just about every FR player has dragons of different elements, imagining how a singular element could influence your lair can build lore in your lair, and can also be fun to imagine!
It's so fun to me! Quite a bit of my lore has dragons of different elements influencing how my lair looks or functions, despite it being in the Ashfall Wastes. Just about every FR player has dragons of different elements, imagining how a singular element could influence your lair can build lore in your lair, and can also be fun to imagine!
5511.png tumblr_inline_n6kdvu56Os1qlye38.gif6073.png
[quote name="Teeka" date="2024-01-14 11:19:02" ] The tech disparity aspect works fine for me - I just figure that dragons will move to the area that best matches how they want to live and, when necessary, they rely on their own innate magic or that of the area they've moved to to get by. I mean, it's not like the tech disparity matters much when we're talking about giant, magical monsters. A Lightning Flight dragon could make a suit of powered armor, a Nature Flight dragon could grow a bunch of trees and plants to function in the same way (plus use their magic to make it repair itself instantly when damaged), while an Arcane dragon could do the same thing with a bunch of crystals and scraps of parchment with symbols written on them in glowing ink. Then, as the three of them are arguing which has the best thing going on, they all get rolled over by a school of Underides out on their version of a cruise (where they bring water with them to travel to different lakes and ponds farther inland the same way landbound individuals would hop on a boat to visit islands) in a giant hamsterball of magically contained water. [/quote] I want you to know that this is the best thing I've read all day. Also, the wildly varying tech of Sornieth is one of the reasons I love this site. A good science fantasy universe is really freaking rare and hard to do, and Flight Rising pulls it off awesomely. Why yes, my clan has electric lighting the leader puts in herself in all the dens, and there's a Snapper girl whose whole thing is reprogramming Golem Workshop familiars to obey her and create her own robot army. But there's also the clan ghost that got necromanced into being able to leave with them when they moved to Shadow, and a bunch of magic using mercenaries partly composed of obvious Soulsborne references, and all the eldritch horrors. The world is vast and has great potential!
Teeka wrote on 2024-01-14 11:19:02:
The tech disparity aspect works fine for me - I just figure that dragons will move to the area that best matches how they want to live and, when necessary, they rely on their own innate magic or that of the area they've moved to to get by.

I mean, it's not like the tech disparity matters much when we're talking about giant, magical monsters. A Lightning Flight dragon could make a suit of powered armor, a Nature Flight dragon could grow a bunch of trees and plants to function in the same way (plus use their magic to make it repair itself instantly when damaged), while an Arcane dragon could do the same thing with a bunch of crystals and scraps of parchment with symbols written on them in glowing ink. Then, as the three of them are arguing which has the best thing going on, they all get rolled over by a school of Underides out on their version of a cruise (where they bring water with them to travel to different lakes and ponds farther inland the same way landbound individuals would hop on a boat to visit islands) in a giant hamsterball of magically contained water.

I want you to know that this is the best thing I've read all day.

Also, the wildly varying tech of Sornieth is one of the reasons I love this site. A good science fantasy universe is really freaking rare and hard to do, and Flight Rising pulls it off awesomely. Why yes, my clan has electric lighting the leader puts in herself in all the dens, and there's a Snapper girl whose whole thing is reprogramming Golem Workshop familiars to obey her and create her own robot army. But there's also the clan ghost that got necromanced into being able to leave with them when they moved to Shadow, and a bunch of magic using mercenaries partly composed of obvious Soulsborne references, and all the eldritch horrors. The world is vast and has great potential!
VAAnkLY.png
I actually incorporated that into my lore. I bought a pretty looking dragon on AH, saw that it was a lightning dragon, and decided he was here to install electric lights in our lair.
I actually incorporated that into my lore. I bought a pretty looking dragon on AH, saw that it was a lightning dragon, and decided he was here to install electric lights in our lair.
formatting these forum signatures is hard. tumblr_p6atnvb3xd1vffxj3o2_100.png
1 2 3 4