Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | which flight should get 2nd gem ancient
Light flight. They're rich over there, aren't they? /j
Light flight. They're rich over there, aren't they? /j
Jd88XNq.pngfDseSl9.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
My first thought was water would be great for a gem breed, but if staff stick to the way things have been and save the line breaking dragons for treasure, then I hope it's not water that gets a gem breed. I want to see an unusual aquatic dragon for Water. I could see light or lightning getting a gem breed. Gem would also suite arcane, something a bit more rare, a bit more out there. Then again, it would be epic to see an arcane dragon with six legs and multiple wings.
My first thought was water would be great for a gem breed, but if staff stick to the way things have been and save the line breaking dragons for treasure, then I hope it's not water that gets a gem breed. I want to see an unusual aquatic dragon for Water. I could see light or lightning getting a gem breed. Gem would also suite arcane, something a bit more rare, a bit more out there. Then again, it would be epic to see an arcane dragon with six legs and multiple wings.
Y02PS6v.png
[quote name="Realcottoncat" date="2022-08-28 13:51:24" ] [quote name="BlackDiamond13" date="2022-08-28 13:00:54" ] Snip 5. Would a cycling gem ancient (or any gem ancient in general) be better suited to a "neutral ancient" so no one feels like they're losing out on flight representation? That way it lowers any potential backlash over another ancient breed upon release? No. We've never had a neutral Ancient before, much less a neutral breed. Though having the first neutral dragon be a cycling gem breed would certainly increase it's desirability, I think it would be more detrimental in the long run and cause a lot more drama than needed. There will always be those who feel as if their flight got shafted due to the Ancient they received (Banescales not being as desirable as the other breeds, Gaolers just being scarier Tundras, Veilspun being a gem Ancient), and you can't please everybody. But in my opinion, since a neutral breed is for "everybody", it should be accessible to everybody as a celebration of its release. Well, there's my two cents on the matter, even if I don't particularly care much for Ancients like I do modern breeds. Edit: Grammar. [/quote] Bogsneaks are neutral. [/quote] Not gonna lie, entirely forgot about them for a second despite owning multiple. Answer has been changed to reflect that, while Bogsneaks are the first neutral breed, the first neutral Ancient would likely be the first dragon not intentionally created by one of the deities/another dragon [s]and will hopefully look better than Bogsneaks[/s].
Realcottoncat wrote on 2022-08-28 13:51:24:
BlackDiamond13 wrote on 2022-08-28 13:00:54:
Snip

5. Would a cycling gem ancient (or any gem ancient in general) be better suited to a "neutral ancient" so no one feels like they're losing out on flight representation? That way it lowers any potential backlash over another ancient breed upon release? No. We've never had a neutral Ancient before, much less a neutral breed. Though having the first neutral dragon be a cycling gem breed would certainly increase it's desirability, I think it would be more detrimental in the long run and cause a lot more drama than needed. There will always be those who feel as if their flight got shafted due to the Ancient they received (Banescales not being as desirable as the other breeds, Gaolers just being scarier Tundras, Veilspun being a gem Ancient), and you can't please everybody. But in my opinion, since a neutral breed is for "everybody", it should be accessible to everybody as a celebration of its release.

Well, there's my two cents on the matter, even if I don't particularly care much for Ancients like I do modern breeds.

Edit: Grammar.

Bogsneaks are neutral.

Not gonna lie, entirely forgot about them for a second despite owning multiple. Answer has been changed to reflect that, while Bogsneaks are the first neutral breed, the first neutral Ancient would likely be the first dragon not intentionally created by one of the deities/another dragon and will hopefully look better than Bogsneaks.
y5opRlk.gif
I can see a Gem Ancient for Wind, I agree with you there. Two treasure moderns, and you can easily do a breed fitting the wind aesthetic really well and still looking very suitable for an ancient without locking something super wild behind premium currency. Something like an ampithere - generally a pretty basic body plan, since it's just no legs, but still fun and windy and suitably ancient.

I would be very upset if we had another breed cycle like Wildclaws do though. I don't even think Wildclaws should cycle the way they do now. They either need a very consistent schedule longer than two weeks in a whole year that we get zero heads up for, or they need to be there permanently. It's not fair to anyone - especially perhaps poorer players and the flight itself who the breed belongs to.
I can see a Gem Ancient for Wind, I agree with you there. Two treasure moderns, and you can easily do a breed fitting the wind aesthetic really well and still looking very suitable for an ancient without locking something super wild behind premium currency. Something like an ampithere - generally a pretty basic body plan, since it's just no legs, but still fun and windy and suitably ancient.

I would be very upset if we had another breed cycle like Wildclaws do though. I don't even think Wildclaws should cycle the way they do now. They either need a very consistent schedule longer than two weeks in a whole year that we get zero heads up for, or they need to be there permanently. It's not fair to anyone - especially perhaps poorer players and the flight itself who the breed belongs to.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
Contrary to most of the thread, I don't think it will be Light. Yes, they have two breeds, but only one of them is Treasure based, as in, you can get a breed change scroll for Treasure. The other is Limited, and their scroll is unobtainable without selling your soul a thousand times over for a 0.00001 chance. With this in mind, they will probably get a treasure Ancient.

If any flight needs a Gem breed, I'd say Earth. They deserve pretty things too. Wind is also a good choice.

I just hope it isn't Nature or Water. Nature deserves a non-cycling gem breed, and Water.... yeah, no need to explain.
Contrary to most of the thread, I don't think it will be Light. Yes, they have two breeds, but only one of them is Treasure based, as in, you can get a breed change scroll for Treasure. The other is Limited, and their scroll is unobtainable without selling your soul a thousand times over for a 0.00001 chance. With this in mind, they will probably get a treasure Ancient.

If any flight needs a Gem breed, I'd say Earth. They deserve pretty things too. Wind is also a good choice.

I just hope it isn't Nature or Water. Nature deserves a non-cycling gem breed, and Water.... yeah, no need to explain.
output-onlinepngtools.pngI refuse...
personally, i don't think that rule-breaking ancients will always have to be treasure breeds--while that may be the direction staff wants to go, i'd personally be fine with a rule-breaking gem breed provided that there are plenty of other freakish weirdo treasure breeds to balance it out. aberrations are a great addition to this; i think if we got say, 3 or 4 more rule-breakers as treasure breeds most folks would be fine with one being a gem breed. that's just me, though!

that aside, my bet would be water or arcane. they're the only plentiful moderns left without an ancient counterpart (guardians and faes), and i'd lean slightly more towards water just because of the whole tidelord situation. both water and arcane do deserve to get absolutely freakish beasts though, so i'm hoping that staff might be more willing to make some weird gem breeds once we have a solid supply of rule-breaking treasure breeds to keep us fed.
personally, i don't think that rule-breaking ancients will always have to be treasure breeds--while that may be the direction staff wants to go, i'd personally be fine with a rule-breaking gem breed provided that there are plenty of other freakish weirdo treasure breeds to balance it out. aberrations are a great addition to this; i think if we got say, 3 or 4 more rule-breakers as treasure breeds most folks would be fine with one being a gem breed. that's just me, though!

that aside, my bet would be water or arcane. they're the only plentiful moderns left without an ancient counterpart (guardians and faes), and i'd lean slightly more towards water just because of the whole tidelord situation. both water and arcane do deserve to get absolutely freakish beasts though, so i'm hoping that staff might be more willing to make some weird gem breeds once we have a solid supply of rule-breaking treasure breeds to keep us fed.
call me cactus.
fr +3
Updated my thread a bit with staff info. Thank you everyone who mentioned there were staff posts confirming/deconfirming things!
Updated my thread a bit with staff info. Thank you everyone who mentioned there were staff posts confirming/deconfirming things!
Local Overthinker, He/Him, Pings and notifications are fine.
I'm going to guess Wind or Lightning. Either way, I think it'll be a while before we get another gem ancient. (And I hope it isn't a cycling breed.)
I'm going to guess Wind or Lightning. Either way, I think it'll be a while before we get another gem ancient. (And I hope it isn't a cycling breed.)
j0lGliX.png
she/her
FR+3
I'd rather all Ancients be treasure breeds. It feels like a dump to be using real money on dragons who won't even carry genes over
I'd rather all Ancients be treasure breeds. It feels like a dump to be using real money on dragons who won't even carry genes over
sBdLZtA.png
i was relieved i didnt like veils enough to spend the money on their gem scrolls when they came out, personally id be rly disappointed if an ancient came out i loved the look of but it was a gem scroll breed, so whatever the next gem ancient looks like i hope its not something that appealing to me </3 nightmare scenario for me since i dont want to spend THAT much money lol. my bet would probably be on a flight that has multiple treasure breeds already though (which i think is only wind judging on comments?)
i was relieved i didnt like veils enough to spend the money on their gem scrolls when they came out, personally id be rly disappointed if an ancient came out i loved the look of but it was a gem scroll breed, so whatever the next gem ancient looks like i hope its not something that appealing to me </3 nightmare scenario for me since i dont want to spend THAT much money lol. my bet would probably be on a flight that has multiple treasure breeds already though (which i think is only wind judging on comments?)
The eyes of Lio Fotia and Galo Thymos from Promare in official art by Hiroyuki Imaishi staring dramatically past the viewer. There is a ball of fire in their colors (blue, pink, and white) between them