Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | i have $5 on a visa gift card
1 2 3
[quote name="rottenbird" date="2020-09-30 14:36:44" ] also the idea that wikipedia is untrustworthy is antiquated, plus it's a great place for finding sources even if you don't read the articles themselves [/quote] Yes, this. I don't get the hate against Wikipedia I see on the internet and IRL. Even my college professors said that it's a good place to find sources.
rottenbird wrote on 2020-09-30 14:36:44:
also the idea that wikipedia is untrustworthy is antiquated, plus it's a great place for finding sources even if you don't read the articles themselves

Yes, this. I don't get the hate against Wikipedia I see on the internet and IRL. Even my college professors said that it's a good place to find sources.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png
t6zNkmJ.png
9JeQCtz.png
The reason teachers don't like wikipedia is because it makes researching too easy. When they were in school they had to go to the library to find things out, dangnabit.
The reason teachers don't like wikipedia is because it makes researching too easy. When they were in school they had to go to the library to find things out, dangnabit.
enhCzub.gif
Why not both? Spend the money on the site you want to support the most, and whitelist your adblocker for the other. Heck, whitelist both. [quote name="Hello32123" date="2020-09-30 13:39:03" ] All my school teachers say to NEVER use wikipedia. [/quote] I understand why your teachers say this; it'll help prevent bad research habits from forming. But beyond school it's a bit more complicated than that - Wikipedia is a fantastic resource for learning about something for the first time. It's just not good to base your assignments on it. For an assignment, it's fine to use Wikipedia as a starting point to help understand the basics or get ideas of what topics to choose - but you must then move on to other resources and use those for your assignment. (though lowkey wikipedia's reference lists can help you find [i]some[/i] of those further resources, just make sure you get more from elsewhere or your teachers will see right through it). So I say use Wikipedia if you want; but never [i]end[/i] with Wikipedia. Use it as a springboard to get started and do most your research elsewhere.
Why not both? Spend the money on the site you want to support the most, and whitelist your adblocker for the other. Heck, whitelist both.
Hello32123 wrote on 2020-09-30 13:39:03:
All my school teachers say to NEVER use wikipedia.

I understand why your teachers say this; it'll help prevent bad research habits from forming. But beyond school it's a bit more complicated than that - Wikipedia is a fantastic resource for learning about something for the first time. It's just not good to base your assignments on it. For an assignment, it's fine to use Wikipedia as a starting point to help understand the basics or get ideas of what topics to choose - but you must then move on to other resources and use those for your assignment. (though lowkey wikipedia's reference lists can help you find some of those further resources, just make sure you get more from elsewhere or your teachers will see right through it). So I say use Wikipedia if you want; but never end with Wikipedia. Use it as a springboard to get started and do most your research elsewhere.
[quote name="Umbra" date="2020-09-30 16:30:50" ] The reason teachers don't like wikipedia is because it makes researching too easy. When they were in school they had to go to the library to find things out, dangnabit. [/quote] This and also since it's technically free to edit, they assume there'll be lots of wrong information in reality, people monitoring it are like never-sleeping watchers and usually any false or joke edits get corrected decently fast And it's certainly more up to date than those dusty science books written in 80's in your school library no doubt
Umbra wrote on 2020-09-30 16:30:50:
This
and also since it's technically free to edit, they assume there'll be lots of wrong information
in reality, people monitoring it are like never-sleeping watchers and usually any false or joke edits get corrected decently fast
And it's certainly more up to date than those dusty science books written in 80's in your school library no doubt
+ 10 fr time
Any pronouns
I am often a huge idiot
I apologize if I sound rude
not native speaker, english is hard
76914149_ZoqtgzM6biIYLbE.png
wishlist
I like D&D
i'll make this better soon
[center][quote name="rottenbird" date="2020-09-30 14:36:44" ] Hate to be that person, but I would say wikipedia simply because it benefits potentially millions of people. also the idea that wikipedia is untrustworthy is antiquated, plus it's a great place for finding sources even if you don't read the articles themselves [/quote]
rottenbird wrote on 2020-09-30 14:36:44:
Hate to be that person, but I would say wikipedia simply because it benefits potentially millions of people.

also the idea that wikipedia is untrustworthy is antiquated, plus it's a great place for finding sources even if you don't read the articles themselves
Signature Machine Broke
849-gi.png
hh5n4WA.pngXC93sMs.png
wthFnM3.pngYMPbu9R.png
[quote name="Kryptica" date="2020-09-30 17:07:26" ] [quote name="Umbra" date="2020-09-30 16:30:50" ] The reason teachers don't like wikipedia is because it makes researching too easy. When they were in school they had to go to the library to find things out, dangnabit. [/quote] This and also since it's technically free to edit, they assume there'll be lots of wrong information in reality, people monitoring it are like never-sleeping watchers and usually any false or joke edits get corrected decently fast And it's certainly more up to date than those dusty science books written in 80's in your school library no doubt [/quote] There's still a fair bit of politicking and bias on Wikipedia articles, so you have to be as aware of that as with any other source. It's more likely to have a problem with thing like sanitising or downplaying criticism/scandals - hard to verify and subjective stuff. When it comes to hard, easy-to-verify objective facts, Wikipedia is leagues ahead of printed material simply by virtue of instant updating. Any printed book tends to be at least a year out of date, which is fine for well-known basic information, but just not good enough at the cutting edge of research.
Kryptica wrote on 2020-09-30 17:07:26:
This
and also since it's technically free to edit, they assume there'll be lots of wrong information
in reality, people monitoring it are like never-sleeping watchers and usually any false or joke edits get corrected decently fast
And it's certainly more up to date than those dusty science books written in 80's in your school library no doubt

There's still a fair bit of politicking and bias on Wikipedia articles, so you have to be as aware of that as with any other source. It's more likely to have a problem with thing like sanitising or downplaying criticism/scandals - hard to verify and subjective stuff. When it comes to hard, easy-to-verify objective facts, Wikipedia is leagues ahead of printed material simply by virtue of instant updating. Any printed book tends to be at least a year out of date, which is fine for well-known basic information, but just not good enough at the cutting edge of research.
For those talking about Wikipedia being used for school / general use:

Wikipedia is an amazing place to find sources, but for school related things it is not a good source at all. If you are looking for sources for a school topic, go to the Wikipedia page on whatever you are doing a paper for, scroll alllll the way down, and it'll say sources. Then you can just use those and say you didn't get it from Wikipedia. :)

As for non-school related things, Wikipedia is great! It's a good source of general information that covers the surface of what you want to know. :)

Regarding OP's decision: If you wanna buy gems to get more dragoncash, go ahead, if you wanna support the Wiki, you can do that to.
I would personally go with the gems, as it would help FR and I play FR a lot more than I use the Wikipedia. It's up to you. <3

edit: i made a typo :p
For those talking about Wikipedia being used for school / general use:

Wikipedia is an amazing place to find sources, but for school related things it is not a good source at all. If you are looking for sources for a school topic, go to the Wikipedia page on whatever you are doing a paper for, scroll alllll the way down, and it'll say sources. Then you can just use those and say you didn't get it from Wikipedia. :)

As for non-school related things, Wikipedia is great! It's a good source of general information that covers the surface of what you want to know. :)

Regarding OP's decision: If you wanna buy gems to get more dragoncash, go ahead, if you wanna support the Wiki, you can do that to.
I would personally go with the gems, as it would help FR and I play FR a lot more than I use the Wikipedia. It's up to you. <3

edit: i made a typo :p
[quote name="Umbra" date="2020-09-30 16:30:50" ] The reason teachers don't like wikipedia is because it makes researching too easy. When they were in school they had to go to the library to find things out, dangnabit. [/quote] I don’t think this is exactly it. It’s false that Wikipedia is a bad source and unreliable, which is what a lot of my teachers told me in grade school. It has a lot of great information and so many people are able to add to it. Errors or false information are typically corrected very quickly. However, Wikipedia is a bad source to use if you’re writing a paper. If I’m writing a scientific paper, I need to find sources that are peer reviewed. I can find a lot about my topic just from the Wikipedia page, but that’s not a good source for a number of reasons. It is possible that the information is false. It’s not common for Wikipedia pages to have false information, but you want to be absolutely sure when you’re writing a paper. It’s not a primary source that includes authors who could be tracked down. Also, the page changes over time when edits are made, so the info you cited might not be on the page forever. Wikipedia is a great starting point because it sources all of its information. If you find what you need, click on the source it provides and that will help you verify that the information is correct and also give you a good source for your paper. Some teachers are just stubborn, but others want students to find reliable and verified sources and while Wikipedia is a good start and a valuable resource, it’s not the best source to use in a paper.
I don’t think this is exactly it.

It’s false that Wikipedia is a bad source and unreliable, which is what a lot of my teachers told me in grade school. It has a lot of great information and so many people are able to add to it. Errors or false information are typically corrected very quickly. However, Wikipedia is a bad source to use if you’re writing a paper.

If I’m writing a scientific paper, I need to find sources that are peer reviewed. I can find a lot about my topic just from the Wikipedia page, but that’s not a good source for a number of reasons. It is possible that the information is false. It’s not common for Wikipedia pages to have false information, but you want to be absolutely sure when you’re writing a paper. It’s not a primary source that includes authors who could be tracked down. Also, the page changes over time when edits are made, so the info you cited might not be on the page forever.

Wikipedia is a great starting point because it sources all of its information. If you find what you need, click on the source it provides and that will help you verify that the information is correct and also give you a good source for your paper. Some teachers are just stubborn, but others want students to find reliable and verified sources and while Wikipedia is a good start and a valuable resource, it’s not the best source to use in a paper.
vlHpjp8.png .
he/him

FR+3:00
. .
checked on swipp, baldwin, or arlo lately?
_ wizardry2.gif
I love that this thread turned into a PSA on the merits of Wikipedia and how best to use it to research something for school. Good stuff. If it helps you make up your mind about where to spend your $5, this post has made me decide to donate to Wikipedia myself. So you don't need to feel guilty if you don't give them a donation personally. [emoji=wildclaw winking size=1]
I love that this thread turned into a PSA on the merits of Wikipedia and how best to use it to research something for school. Good stuff.

If it helps you make up your mind about where to spend your $5, this post has made me decide to donate to Wikipedia myself. So you don't need to feel guilty if you don't give them a donation personally.
bHeX9bv.png
[quote name="Quid" date="2020-09-30 16:51:21" ] Why not both? Spend the money on the site you want to support the most, and whitelist your adblocker for the other. Heck, whitelist both. [/quote] @Quid Wikipedia doesn't run ads, so unfortunately whitelisting won't help them one way or another. That's why they ask for donations.
Quid wrote on 2020-09-30 16:51:21:
Why not both? Spend the money on the site you want to support the most, and whitelist your adblocker for the other. Heck, whitelist both.

@Quid
Wikipedia doesn't run ads, so unfortunately whitelisting won't help them one way or another. That's why they ask for donations.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png