Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | i have $5 on a visa gift card
1 2 3
@Namira I completely forgot that, whoops! Thanks for pointing it out : )
@Namira I completely forgot that, whoops! Thanks for pointing it out : )
Wikipedia gets way more donations than it needs to host the wikipedia. The rest of the money goes to things like the Wikimedia corporation. I think it's annoying how Wikipedia uses scare mongering to attract donations.
Wikipedia gets way more donations than it needs to host the wikipedia. The rest of the money goes to things like the Wikimedia corporation. I think it's annoying how Wikipedia uses scare mongering to attract donations.
[LF] Female Ice Imp Low 6 digit - 50k gemsbiDj7CC.png
[quote name="OreoMilkshake" date="2020-09-30 20:46:22" ] Wikipedia gets way more donations than it needs to host the wikipedia. The rest of the money goes to things like the Wikimedia corporation. I think it's annoying how Wikipedia uses scare mongering to attract donations. [/quote] This is not entirely correct. 1. The Wikimedia Foundation as [i]already who you are donating to[/i] when you donate to Wikipedia, and it states this on the donation page. Wikipedia is the website. Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit corporation that hosts it. The money you donate through Wikipedia goes towards hosting the site. 2. It's [i]very[/i] important for a company, especially a non-profit company, to have extra money on standby. [quote]It is not uncommon for large nonprofits like Wikipedia to continuously add funds to its reserve, which acts as a safety net if required, a Washington Post report stated. Charitable organisations are encouraged to maintain an adequate cash reserve in excess of their annual expenditure in case of an adverse situation. So if a donor suddenly pulls out or if costs increase, the nonprofit isn’t left high and dry, as the Nonprofits Assistance Fund has pointed out in the past.[/quote] [url=https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/explained-why-wikipedia-one-of-worlds-most-popular-websites-is-asking-users-for-donations-6546982/]Here's the source for that quote[/url], which also includes other info about Wikipedia's donation drives. Keep in mind that Wikipedia is one of the largest websites in the world and is still rapidly growing, so naturally, hosting costs will continually go up. The need for donations will also go up.
OreoMilkshake wrote on 2020-09-30 20:46:22:

This is not entirely correct.

1. The Wikimedia Foundation as already who you are donating to when you donate to Wikipedia, and it states this on the donation page. Wikipedia is the website. Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit corporation that hosts it. The money you donate through Wikipedia goes towards hosting the site.

2. It's very important for a company, especially a non-profit company, to have extra money on standby.
Quote:
It is not uncommon for large nonprofits like Wikipedia to continuously add funds to its reserve, which acts as a safety net if required, a Washington Post report stated. Charitable organisations are encouraged to maintain an adequate cash reserve in excess of their annual expenditure in case of an adverse situation. So if a donor suddenly pulls out or if costs increase, the nonprofit isn’t left high and dry, as the Nonprofits Assistance Fund has pointed out in the past.

Here's the source for that quote, which also includes other info about Wikipedia's donation drives.

Keep in mind that Wikipedia is one of the largest websites in the world and is still rapidly growing, so naturally, hosting costs will continually go up. The need for donations will also go up.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png
t6zNkmJ.png
9JeQCtz.png
I’d say that if the only reason you are considering donating is because Wikipedia made pleading puppy dog eyes at you, it’s probably not worth it. If it’s a site you use frequently and that’s existence you actually care about, that’d be worth considering.
I’d say that if the only reason you are considering donating is because Wikipedia made pleading puppy dog eyes at you, it’s probably not worth it. If it’s a site you use frequently and that’s existence you actually care about, that’d be worth considering.
Buy gems for it.
Buy gems for it.
6WUYXR5.png Etna (FR+9)
She/They
Likes to make sprites
Gen 1 lair
1 2 3