Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Skydancer Gems
1 2 3
As I said on the main update thread, in some stories dragons are said to have a gem in their skull in the forehead area called a draconce. So that's what I'd call it. Edit: also this [quote name="Marinna" date="2020-03-28 14:13:06" ] I don't know what you guys think but a magic gem on a forehead reminds me of the Carbuncle myth (even if carbuncle is more like garnet) so maybe it could be called a carbuncle ? [/quote]
As I said on the main update thread, in some stories dragons are said to have a gem in their skull in the forehead area called a draconce. So that's what I'd call it.

Edit: also this
Marinna wrote on 2020-03-28 14:13:06:
I don't know what you guys think but a magic gem on a forehead reminds me of the Carbuncle myth (even if carbuncle is more like garnet) so maybe it could be called a carbuncle ?
J38Qco1.pngP6JoUOV.png9qpbqeR.png
I think it should be called the bedazzle or the rhinestone because i'm imaging the windsinger inventing skydancers and busting out one of these: [img]https://img0.etsystatic.com/054/0/6816636/il_fullxfull.731611538_4cy5.jpg[/img]
I think it should be called the bedazzle or the rhinestone because i'm imaging the windsinger inventing skydancers and busting out one of these:

il_fullxfull.731611538_4cy5.jpg
Rp0KRIc.jpeg
Parietal eye has my vote, anatomical accuracy is fun ^^
Parietal eye has my vote, anatomical accuracy is fun ^^
i always just called em head stones?? this makes a lot more sense tho lmao
i always just called em head stones?? this makes a lot more sense tho lmao
KKdqwb1.gif hi, i'm etui

she/they
I'd honestly never really thought about it before the community update post, but upon thinking on it for a moment my brain provided "sky eye" / "moon eye" as possible colloquial names that might be used for it by the dragons, at the least. Sky/Moon = it is on the top of their head (+'sky' could be shortened from 'skydancer', 'moon' is round and shiny) eye = obviously relating to the parietal/pineal eye. If we went with directly relating it to those I guess it'd technically be 'parapineal organ' since there's no given evidence provided to us that it's a light-detecting organ for them? Also the connotations of the 'third eye', which is another name of the parietal eye, but is related, in assorted mysticism, to things like enlightenment, and tuning in to the 'vibration' of the universe, which, definitely relevant to Skydancers [quote]This gem-like orb connects directly to the Skydancer's skull and the delicate antennae surrounding it are sensitive to minute vibrations. This ability allows the species to sense when magical energies are present, and to sense the disposition of other dragons and creatures by the subtle energy given off by their body and state of mind.[/quote] (although it seems to imply that this is more related to their antennae, rather than the orb, but it doesn't give a full breakdown on the anatomy there so we're free to speculate) (could also have things like 'gem eye' or 'stone eye' or the like- imagine if skydancers from different flights used slightly different variants? Or a skydancer raised by pearlcatchers considering it its own 'pearl', that's fun.)
I'd honestly never really thought about it before the community update post, but upon thinking on it for a moment my brain provided "sky eye" / "moon eye" as possible colloquial names that might be used for it by the dragons, at the least.

Sky/Moon = it is on the top of their head (+'sky' could be shortened from 'skydancer', 'moon' is round and shiny)

eye = obviously relating to the parietal/pineal eye. If we went with directly relating it to those I guess it'd technically be 'parapineal organ' since there's no given evidence provided to us that it's a light-detecting organ for them?
Also the connotations of the 'third eye', which is another name of the parietal eye, but is related, in assorted mysticism, to things like enlightenment, and tuning in to the 'vibration' of the universe, which, definitely relevant to Skydancers
Quote:
This gem-like orb connects directly to the Skydancer's skull and the delicate antennae surrounding it are sensitive to minute vibrations. This ability allows the species to sense when magical energies are present, and to sense the disposition of other dragons and creatures by the subtle energy given off by their body and state of mind.
(although it seems to imply that this is more related to their antennae, rather than the orb, but it doesn't give a full breakdown on the anatomy there so we're free to speculate)

(could also have things like 'gem eye' or 'stone eye' or the like- imagine if skydancers from different flights used slightly different variants?
Or a skydancer raised by pearlcatchers considering it its own 'pearl', that's fun.)
Oh I really like Parietal Pearl, as a reference to the parietal eye and a nice parallel with Pearlcatchers :o
Otherwise head nugget it is lol
Oh I really like Parietal Pearl, as a reference to the parietal eye and a nice parallel with Pearlcatchers :o
Otherwise head nugget it is lol
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
I feel like Visum--literally Latin word for 'vision' would be good. It doesn't sound exactly like an anatomical part and seems more mystical.
I feel like Visum--literally Latin word for 'vision' would be good. It doesn't sound exactly like an anatomical part and seems more mystical.
FfsFHyt.png
I'm calling it an "Emotorb", because it's an orb that they use to read emotions.
I'm calling it an "Emotorb", because it's an orb that they use to read emotions.
For me, every day is World Kindness Day. b59f9d9c-60d2-11eb-95e1-814ec59a413c.gifa663c882-026b-11eb-9626-db1f1f278684.gif
I think "parietal eye" is a little too technical for an everyday sensory organ. A word for it that would actually be used would need to be short and snappy: think "nose", "ear", words like that.
I think "parietal eye" is a little too technical for an everyday sensory organ. A word for it that would actually be used would need to be short and snappy: think "nose", "ear", words like that.
i'm still set on 'head nugget'
i'm still set on 'head nugget'
1 2 3