Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | banescales vs my knowlege of dragon lore
1 2 3 4 5 6
So please tell me what we should categorize earth dad as ? He is not an eastern dragon base on like WindDad but he doesn't have wings too. Does it make him a lizard and not a dragon for you ?
I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't think your definition apply to FR since it's a world where humans don't exist. It means it don't have to have same definition on same things as ours. Like they may aswell call cats in that world dogs and dogs as cats for exemple. Nothing is impossible
So please tell me what we should categorize earth dad as ? He is not an eastern dragon base on like WindDad but he doesn't have wings too. Does it make him a lizard and not a dragon for you ?
I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't think your definition apply to FR since it's a world where humans don't exist. It means it don't have to have same definition on same things as ours. Like they may aswell call cats in that world dogs and dogs as cats for exemple. Nothing is impossible
tDeKDnH.png8113890e65468d3e592e04d0586e31cc.pngss.png
@Rivershard Oh yeah, that throws me off so much tbh, especially because my personal definition of "Basilisk" is a serpent with the ability to turn creatures that look into its eyes to stone (or paralyze them, either way), and "Cockatrice" as the kinda draconic rooster creature with the same/similar ability. By my standards, all of those are cockatrice.
@Rivershard Oh yeah, that throws me off so much tbh, especially because my personal definition of "Basilisk" is a serpent with the ability to turn creatures that look into its eyes to stone (or paralyze them, either way), and "Cockatrice" as the kinda draconic rooster creature with the same/similar ability. By my standards, all of those are cockatrice.
oAK3y8z.png AfamSig.gif
[quote name="@lemuray" date="2020-01-20 14:11:22" ] @/butchcats so the classical definition of dragon says four legs and any number of wings? A lizard-like creature with four legs and twelve sets of wings would be a dragon? What about one with four legs and only one singular wing (which would ig work like a propeller??? sounds ridiculous, i want one of those for the next ancient) I don't know much about the semantic particularities on this subject and you've gotten me curious lol [/quote] I demand that someone make a dragon that's pretty much a stubby lizard that flies by spinning one single helicopter wing. Or two wings, but one's on the end of its tail. (very much kidding not demanding anything from staff or artists) And I vote that Arcane's ancient is literally just a flying segmented centipede-esque dragon. No leg, all wing. The perfect eldrich demon.
@lemuray wrote on 2020-01-20 14:11:22:
@/butchcats so the classical definition of dragon says four legs and any number of wings? A lizard-like creature with four legs and twelve sets of wings would be a dragon? What about one with four legs and only one singular wing (which would ig work like a propeller??? sounds ridiculous, i want one of those for the next ancient)

I don't know much about the semantic particularities on this subject and you've gotten me curious lol
I demand that someone make a dragon that's pretty much a stubby lizard that flies by spinning one single helicopter wing. Or two wings, but one's on the end of its tail. (very much kidding not demanding anything from staff or artists)
And I vote that Arcane's ancient is literally just a flying segmented centipede-esque dragon. No leg, all wing. The perfect eldrich demon.
XtPnxm4.png achievement.png FObX7rS.png
we-will-buy-all-your-salt.png
Firstly, I refuse to believe wyverns aren't just a type of dragon, and there's no convincing me otherwise, but I do acknowledge that since they're not real, any interpretation is just as valid as another.

That being said, if wyverns are treated as or called dragons in a fiction... Technically they are. In that scenario, at least. So, Banescales are always gonna be dragons to me, regardless of their number of legs.
Firstly, I refuse to believe wyverns aren't just a type of dragon, and there's no convincing me otherwise, but I do acknowledge that since they're not real, any interpretation is just as valid as another.

That being said, if wyverns are treated as or called dragons in a fiction... Technically they are. In that scenario, at least. So, Banescales are always gonna be dragons to me, regardless of their number of legs.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
x78oEKd.png f9a32de21f619685c021adafe3a356066a54ad09.png
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
[quote name="@Altassar" date="2020-01-20 14:23:38" ] So please tell me what we should categorize earth dad as ? He is not an eastern dragon base on like WindDad but he doesn't have wings too. Does it make him a lizard and not a dragon for you ? I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't think your definition apply to FR since it's a world where humans don't exist. It means it don't have to have same definition on same things as ours. Like they may aswell call cats in that world dogs and dogs as cats for exemple. Nothing is impossible [/quote] I call wingless "dragons" drakes! Seeing as the dragon deities are, well, [i]gods[/i], I don't think they'd need to follow any rules. After all, they're not created to [i]be[/i] "dragons," they're the ones who [i]created[/i] dragons. And while I understand your point of things in Sornieth being labeled differently than how they are irl on Earth, I think of it more as Sornieth has an entire language of its own that does not exist on Earth, and everything is translated to English for us so we can understand it, because there wouldn't be a point in having a game and world where no one can understand it. :) [s]Also whoops, I'm kinda taking over this thread, huh?[/s]
@Altassar wrote on 2020-01-20 14:23:38:

I call wingless "dragons" drakes! Seeing as the dragon deities are, well, gods, I don't think they'd need to follow any rules. After all, they're not created to be "dragons," they're the ones who created dragons.

And while I understand your point of things in Sornieth being labeled differently than how they are irl on Earth, I think of it more as Sornieth has an entire language of its own that does not exist on Earth, and everything is translated to English for us so we can understand it, because there wouldn't be a point in having a game and world where no one can understand it.

:)

Also whoops, I'm kinda taking over this thread, huh?
oAK3y8z.png AfamSig.gif
imo, wyverns are just one of many subcategories of the wider range of strange looking oversized reptile that sometimes have wings, sometimes have legs, or neither and look like a big ol', scaly, fire breathing worm. the entire point of ancient breeds was so they didnt have to stick to the usual four legged, two winged restraints of a dragon. We've been waiting for a wyvern for a long time and personally i love them! Everyone has different tastes and opinions tho so its valid if theyre not for u

There's so many different types of dragons, wyverns of course, drakes, lung dragons, amphitheres, serpents, wyrms, the list goes on
imo, wyverns are just one of many subcategories of the wider range of strange looking oversized reptile that sometimes have wings, sometimes have legs, or neither and look like a big ol', scaly, fire breathing worm. the entire point of ancient breeds was so they didnt have to stick to the usual four legged, two winged restraints of a dragon. We've been waiting for a wyvern for a long time and personally i love them! Everyone has different tastes and opinions tho so its valid if theyre not for u

There's so many different types of dragons, wyverns of course, drakes, lung dragons, amphitheres, serpents, wyrms, the list goes on
RpJRPaD.png
uGR9lra.png
EuyQ8QK.png
QuQZYv7.png
a
Fun fact! The distinction between dragons with various numbers of legs didn't show up until the late medieval period. Older sources talking about their heraldry don't make that distinction at all; anything sorta reptilian with wings was a dragon.

And this is only for European dragons. Eastern dragons usually don't have wings at all.

Imo, restricting what's counted as "correct" dragon lore to only one pretty narrow place and time is less fun than scooping up everything that's ever been translated into modern English as "dragon" and throwing it in the sandbox of fun imagination time.
Fun fact! The distinction between dragons with various numbers of legs didn't show up until the late medieval period. Older sources talking about their heraldry don't make that distinction at all; anything sorta reptilian with wings was a dragon.

And this is only for European dragons. Eastern dragons usually don't have wings at all.

Imo, restricting what's counted as "correct" dragon lore to only one pretty narrow place and time is less fun than scooping up everything that's ever been translated into modern English as "dragon" and throwing it in the sandbox of fun imagination time.
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
[quote name="LordJeanliness" date="2020-01-20 14:42:33" ] Imo, restricting what's counted as "correct" dragon lore to only one pretty narrow place and time is less fun than scooping up everything that's ever been translated into modern English as "dragon" and throwing it in the sandbox of fun imagination time. [/quote] I share this opinion. To me, a dragon with two, none, or even six legs is as much a dragon as the "standard" quadrupedal one.
LordJeanliness wrote on 2020-01-20 14:42:33:

I share this opinion. To me, a dragon with two, none, or even six legs is as much a dragon as the "standard" quadrupedal one.
Lucius      

 He / Him.

                   

An image of two crossed swords; both are ivory-coloured filigree rapiers.
[Image Description: An image of two crossed swords; both are ivory-coloured filigree rapiers.]

This is Sornieth, these dragons only know themselves, Familiars, and Beastclans.

They probably have no concept of Eastern and Western dragons.

This is Sornieth, these dragons only know themselves, Familiars, and Beastclans.

They probably have no concept of Eastern and Western dragons.
15295.png
+ Pacific Time | Neutral Evil | Artist Kinda +
rtbhGZ5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium.png
39072.png q7KYqlT.png
@Razatharia
I'm quite confused about all the dragon and those subspecies name in english because in vietnamese all of them are called dragons. Any oversized reptilan looking creature than can spit fire , ice , poison ect or use magic are called dragons for us. So seeing other countries's ppl fightting over what to call a dragon or not is quite amusing for me
@Razatharia
I'm quite confused about all the dragon and those subspecies name in english because in vietnamese all of them are called dragons. Any oversized reptilan looking creature than can spit fire , ice , poison ect or use magic are called dragons for us. So seeing other countries's ppl fightting over what to call a dragon or not is quite amusing for me
tDeKDnH.png8113890e65468d3e592e04d0586e31cc.pngss.png
1 2 3 4 5 6