Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Headstart vs. Non-Headstart
1 2 3 4
This is likely the most successful thread I have ever posted, haha (and I've posted at least 15 or so in my life time). Thank you everyone for posting.

I find that many new or developing games consists of mostly amiable individuals, @SumTingWong, then slowly more unpleasant individuals arrive. However, I believe that it may be mostly an exception in these type of games for reasons that I will not point out as those reasons may constitute as "overgeneralising".

@DarknessFalls, I believe that I biggest problem was deciding a name. After a good two hours of pondering, reconsidering, debating, flipping through various textbooks for ideas, I suddenly remembered that "Apoptosis" was my favourite-sounding biology word. Of course, I have picked the element, Arcane (after pondering for nearly an hour), based on my personality. I've now realised that my name and signature sounds very Plague-elemental, but oh well!

Oh yes, @Undel, I even have that thick-ish "How to Draw and Paint Dragons" kit that includes paint, paintbrushes, pencils and so on. I've never touched the eraser with the dragon head on it, though. I was afraid I'd use it. I was incredibly young and new to art at the time, so my paintings resulted in utter failures, but it was fun.

I have felt that for this other game I was excited over, @Canria. The game was eventually paused "indefinitely". That was over a year or so ago.

Edit: You know you are slow at making posts when two new posts arrive by the time you submit.
This is likely the most successful thread I have ever posted, haha (and I've posted at least 15 or so in my life time). Thank you everyone for posting.

I find that many new or developing games consists of mostly amiable individuals, @SumTingWong, then slowly more unpleasant individuals arrive. However, I believe that it may be mostly an exception in these type of games for reasons that I will not point out as those reasons may constitute as "overgeneralising".

@DarknessFalls, I believe that I biggest problem was deciding a name. After a good two hours of pondering, reconsidering, debating, flipping through various textbooks for ideas, I suddenly remembered that "Apoptosis" was my favourite-sounding biology word. Of course, I have picked the element, Arcane (after pondering for nearly an hour), based on my personality. I've now realised that my name and signature sounds very Plague-elemental, but oh well!

Oh yes, @Undel, I even have that thick-ish "How to Draw and Paint Dragons" kit that includes paint, paintbrushes, pencils and so on. I've never touched the eraser with the dragon head on it, though. I was afraid I'd use it. I was incredibly young and new to art at the time, so my paintings resulted in utter failures, but it was fun.

I have felt that for this other game I was excited over, @Canria. The game was eventually paused "indefinitely". That was over a year or so ago.

Edit: You know you are slow at making posts when two new posts arrive by the time you submit.
Creation through destruction. That is how sparkling, cut diamonds are made.
Oh wow, more than 3000 accounts already? NICE. I was curious about how big the non-headstart influx was, that's good to know.

I've been quietly following Neondragon's stuff for...gosh, probably the better part of a decade. I remember the first few cryptic posts about the Flight Rising project from years back. It is so incredibly satisfying to finally be playing.
Oh wow, more than 3000 accounts already? NICE. I was curious about how big the non-headstart influx was, that's good to know.

I've been quietly following Neondragon's stuff for...gosh, probably the better part of a decade. I remember the first few cryptic posts about the Flight Rising project from years back. It is so incredibly satisfying to finally be playing.
I've known about Flight Rising since about 2008, though I thought for the longest time that it was going to be a webcomic, based on the outdated design sheets. (I've been following Neondragon/Undel's art and using the oekaki drawing board on her site since 2005; never actually bought any Dragonart books for one reason or another). Found out a few months ago that it was actually a game in development after following a link somewhere on Deviantart, forgot about it entirely, and the next time I checked back it was two days after the end of the official Kickstarter. But I got the three day headstart by grabbing one of the Paypal packages that were up for a few days after.

The headstart was useful for my goal of being the first to breed and sell tiger-gene babies =]
I've known about Flight Rising since about 2008, though I thought for the longest time that it was going to be a webcomic, based on the outdated design sheets. (I've been following Neondragon/Undel's art and using the oekaki drawing board on her site since 2005; never actually bought any Dragonart books for one reason or another). Found out a few months ago that it was actually a game in development after following a link somewhere on Deviantart, forgot about it entirely, and the next time I checked back it was two days after the end of the official Kickstarter. But I got the three day headstart by grabbing one of the Paypal packages that were up for a few days after.

The headstart was useful for my goal of being the first to breed and sell tiger-gene babies =]
qIcJ82H.pngEmI9Jgd.png2ZYu6OU.png0mjfpw6.pngPXqYGyl.png
The headstart period tended to have 200/300 people online at any given time. So not a huge number but not next to no one either. I knew of neondragon since way back when on the internet, always admitred her art.
The headstart period tended to have 200/300 people online at any given time. So not a huge number but not next to no one either. I knew of neondragon since way back when on the internet, always admitred her art.
fr-banner.jpg
I happened to stumble upon this site by looking for more pet sites after registering for ' Aywas'. I forgot what site brought me here, but it said currently in development, and I saw an amazing dragon banner, and I was quickly drawn in. I first ended up at their Youtube, which I watched all of the videos, and was looking at the DeviantArt and ended up at the actual website. This all happened about 2-3 weeks before the release. I thought I would have to wait months, but when I saw the Journal post on Deviant Art saying this awesome website was being release on June 8th, I was bouncing up and down with glee, and even stayed up until 12 in the morning with a dear friend just to sign up. The past several hours I have truly enjoyed messing around on the site. Though I was unable to pay for a head starter, I do wish I was able to. Though, from the looks of it, I suppose no one truly got that far from the head starter. Though it still would have been nice to get to know the game further before a whole mob of users came on xP

I am so glad I stumbled across this site. (:
I happened to stumble upon this site by looking for more pet sites after registering for ' Aywas'. I forgot what site brought me here, but it said currently in development, and I saw an amazing dragon banner, and I was quickly drawn in. I first ended up at their Youtube, which I watched all of the videos, and was looking at the DeviantArt and ended up at the actual website. This all happened about 2-3 weeks before the release. I thought I would have to wait months, but when I saw the Journal post on Deviant Art saying this awesome website was being release on June 8th, I was bouncing up and down with glee, and even stayed up until 12 in the morning with a dear friend just to sign up. The past several hours I have truly enjoyed messing around on the site. Though I was unable to pay for a head starter, I do wish I was able to. Though, from the looks of it, I suppose no one truly got that far from the head starter. Though it still would have been nice to get to know the game further before a whole mob of users came on xP

I am so glad I stumbled across this site. (:
I'm pretty sure I saw this game advertised on Homestuck. ;) This was when the Kickstarter was well underway, so I said why not and threw in $10. I don't know any of the people involved, but hey, I'm enjoying the game. (Almost kinda wishing I'd spent more now that I see how fun the game is...)

I'm thinking one of the big deals may be the familiars, my Skycat just gave me a bunch of treasure... :o
I'm pretty sure I saw this game advertised on Homestuck. ;) This was when the Kickstarter was well underway, so I said why not and threw in $10. I don't know any of the people involved, but hey, I'm enjoying the game. (Almost kinda wishing I'd spent more now that I see how fun the game is...)

I'm thinking one of the big deals may be the familiars, my Skycat just gave me a bunch of treasure... :o
This is a pattern of information that causes certain bits of your screen to light up
It had occurred to me that our User ID numbers are determined in numerical order of when our accounts had been created. To illustrate, my User ID is 1341, and if I am correct, that would mean that I am the 1341st individual to have established an account in FR.

In other words, if I am correct, when I had created my account, there were 714 Headstarters (based on @Paradoxical's observations) and 627 Non-Headstarters. In other words, when I had created my account, there existed more Headstarters than Non-Headstarters. I am surprised and elated that nearly all of my questions had been answered in this thread!
It had occurred to me that our User ID numbers are determined in numerical order of when our accounts had been created. To illustrate, my User ID is 1341, and if I am correct, that would mean that I am the 1341st individual to have established an account in FR.

In other words, if I am correct, when I had created my account, there were 714 Headstarters (based on @Paradoxical's observations) and 627 Non-Headstarters. In other words, when I had created my account, there existed more Headstarters than Non-Headstarters. I am surprised and elated that nearly all of my questions had been answered in this thread!
Creation through destruction. That is how sparkling, cut diamonds are made.
I'v known Jessica's art since she was a big shot on Elfwood, thats must have been more then 10 years ago when I was still in highschool.
Dang, time does fly.

So yeah I'v been keeping up with her work (for as much as I can I'm like the worse artfan ever ), I used to follow her first comic, I'v seen the first 'teaser' on her site go up underneath the link to the comic. I got no effing clue anymore when that was ,it feels like a decade ago even if that teaser said something like 'coming soon' hahaha . I was convinced she was preparing to make another comic as she abandoned the other.

As for the rest, eventually they let the public know and she linked to the kickstarter on DA.
I'v known Jessica's art since she was a big shot on Elfwood, thats must have been more then 10 years ago when I was still in highschool.
Dang, time does fly.

So yeah I'v been keeping up with her work (for as much as I can I'm like the worse artfan ever ), I used to follow her first comic, I'v seen the first 'teaser' on her site go up underneath the link to the comic. I got no effing clue anymore when that was ,it feels like a decade ago even if that teaser said something like 'coming soon' hahaha . I was convinced she was preparing to make another comic as she abandoned the other.

As for the rest, eventually they let the public know and she linked to the kickstarter on DA.
Not sure if it was covered in this thread or not... but I saw a lot of discussion about Neon Dragon's art books.

I have her How to Draw Dragons book, the one dedicated JUST to dragons. And there is a TON of FR line art in that book. The Male Guardian, Fae babies and both adult genders, The fluffy guys... so I'm wondering: Did she put FR line art in her how to draw book? Or did she use line art from her book to make the dragons on this website? I'm curious!

I adore this site. I learned of it 2 weeks ago. I wish I could've done the kickstarter-- I would've definitely gone for the Imperial thing. But it was too late by time I found out about the site.

ETA: Cleared up typos x_x it's late
Not sure if it was covered in this thread or not... but I saw a lot of discussion about Neon Dragon's art books.

I have her How to Draw Dragons book, the one dedicated JUST to dragons. And there is a TON of FR line art in that book. The Male Guardian, Fae babies and both adult genders, The fluffy guys... so I'm wondering: Did she put FR line art in her how to draw book? Or did she use line art from her book to make the dragons on this website? I'm curious!

I adore this site. I learned of it 2 weeks ago. I wish I could've done the kickstarter-- I would've definitely gone for the Imperial thing. But it was too late by time I found out about the site.

ETA: Cleared up typos x_x it's late
1kz7OWt.png
I knew of Neondragon's art for years, knew about the site being in development and about the Kickstarter, but I had more pressing financial needs during that time.
I knew of Neondragon's art for years, knew about the site being in development and about the Kickstarter, but I had more pressing financial needs during that time.
ZPPY.png
1 2 3 4