Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How much would my art sell for?
1 2 3 4
@Grow I see a lot of people on here severely under-pricing their art. It's one thing if you're just starting out and want to do it for a little fun and practice and earn a little treasure along the way. But if you've put in the time to develop your skills, don't be ashamed to charge accordingly. It doesn't help you and it doesn't help other artists to sell work for dirt cheap. It's just a race to the bottom! Like someone mentioned above, keep in mind that 100g=$1 USD. So people suggesting you sell work like this for 600g ... honestly? You think it's fair to pay someone $6 for this? Less than an hourly wage? Less than the price of a meal at a fast food restaurant? I know you're not selling them for real currency but you should still keep those numbers in mind and price based on your skill level and time spent on the work. At the very least try to give yourself something close to an hourly wage. I price a piece like this (simple headshot, no complex clothing or accessories) at 1600 g. It typically takes me an hour to an hour and a half to complete. A black and white line art headshot is 1000g. And that's about as cheap as I would ever go for my art. [img]https://i.imgur.com/23MPT9b.png[/img] [b]Art has value!![/b] End rant. :)
@Grow

I see a lot of people on here severely under-pricing their art. It's one thing if you're just starting out and want to do it for a little fun and practice and earn a little treasure along the way. But if you've put in the time to develop your skills, don't be ashamed to charge accordingly. It doesn't help you and it doesn't help other artists to sell work for dirt cheap. It's just a race to the bottom! Like someone mentioned above, keep in mind that 100g=$1 USD. So people suggesting you sell work like this for 600g ... honestly? You think it's fair to pay someone $6 for this? Less than an hourly wage? Less than the price of a meal at a fast food restaurant?

I know you're not selling them for real currency but you should still keep those numbers in mind and price based on your skill level and time spent on the work. At the very least try to give yourself something close to an hourly wage.

I price a piece like this (simple headshot, no complex clothing or accessories) at 1600 g. It typically takes me an hour to an hour and a half to complete. A black and white line art headshot is 1000g. And that's about as cheap as I would ever go for my art.

23MPT9b.png

Art has value!!

End rant. :)
@Grow omg ping me when u make a shop i love this SO much

id say no less than 2k-4kg per thats like a mona lisa there
@Grow omg ping me when u make a shop i love this SO much

id say no less than 2k-4kg per thats like a mona lisa there
D4jazTx.png
@Grow I don't agree with the 650-750g price range being offered. In USD, you'd be getting paid a measly $6.50 minimum for your work. That's basically nothing for what I'm seeing. Even 1kg as a starting price is far too low, in my opinion. For something like what you posted, I would recommend no lower than 3kg-4kg ($30-$40) depending on the time and effort taken, the outcome, and your proficiency with the subject.

If you sold each piece at this price, it would take 17 ($30)/13 ($40) of them alone to match the worth of a Light Sprite (not factoring in money from sources such as the fairgrounds, hoardselling, or exalting).

Does it seem like too much? Absolutely not. Art is subjective, but getting paid adequately for your work is not. Incredible artists on here will take hundreds of dollars for a full piece; professionals may take thousands for their absolute best work. $30-$40 and the equivalent to such for your art could never be too much.

And yes, $30-$40 minimum. What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask for more if you feel that what you're getting paid does not reflect the time, effort, and outcome of your work. Modesty kills the artist.

Also, @/Hyssop made a similar point as I was writing this. Don't take horrendously underpriced offers from cheapskates, or from yourself. Artists everywhere do this and it absolutely hurts my heart.
@Grow I don't agree with the 650-750g price range being offered. In USD, you'd be getting paid a measly $6.50 minimum for your work. That's basically nothing for what I'm seeing. Even 1kg as a starting price is far too low, in my opinion. For something like what you posted, I would recommend no lower than 3kg-4kg ($30-$40) depending on the time and effort taken, the outcome, and your proficiency with the subject.

If you sold each piece at this price, it would take 17 ($30)/13 ($40) of them alone to match the worth of a Light Sprite (not factoring in money from sources such as the fairgrounds, hoardselling, or exalting).

Does it seem like too much? Absolutely not. Art is subjective, but getting paid adequately for your work is not. Incredible artists on here will take hundreds of dollars for a full piece; professionals may take thousands for their absolute best work. $30-$40 and the equivalent to such for your art could never be too much.

And yes, $30-$40 minimum. What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask for more if you feel that what you're getting paid does not reflect the time, effort, and outcome of your work. Modesty kills the artist.

Also, @/Hyssop made a similar point as I was writing this. Don't take horrendously underpriced offers from cheapskates, or from yourself. Artists everywhere do this and it absolutely hurts my heart.
aSAtN3z.png xxx
Quit reading my signature, nerd.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
He/him

Previously Neuromancer

Wishlist
Anyone paying you less than 1000g for your art is ripping you off, honestly. With the amazing art you have, and with that amount of detail and time spent on them, 2500g-3000g should be the minimum.
Anyone paying you less than 1000g for your art is ripping you off, honestly. With the amazing art you have, and with that amount of detail and time spent on them, 2500g-3000g should be the minimum.
AqaqXxe.png
I've considered commissioning art where it's $65-$100 USD, don't see why I couldn't convert that to gems if the artist preferred them. Anyone who says less than 2kg is ripping you off. Even then, $20 of gems is cheap for 6 hours of work. You do have a life! Keep what you feel your time is worth when pricing your art! Just because most people want a better deal on their end doesn't mean that's what your art is worth. This also applies to people making hatchery cards and the like. If you put effort into it, you deserve to be compensated accordingly.
I've considered commissioning art where it's $65-$100 USD, don't see why I couldn't convert that to gems if the artist preferred them. Anyone who says less than 2kg is ripping you off. Even then, $20 of gems is cheap for 6 hours of work. You do have a life! Keep what you feel your time is worth when pricing your art! Just because most people want a better deal on their end doesn't mean that's what your art is worth. This also applies to people making hatchery cards and the like. If you put effort into it, you deserve to be compensated accordingly.
FR+1 - I will host nests for free, just ask/PM!
Make sure to copy/paste my name to ensure I will get your ping!
Yeah I see that. Because I usually charge my art with backgrounds for $15.
However, they don't sell on deviantart(no fame and the site is getting pretty dead lately)
I see so many art sold for $100 but that's for the good ones.
On FR, I don't think many would have the funds...
What about 1500g?
Yeah I see that. Because I usually charge my art with backgrounds for $15.
However, they don't sell on deviantart(no fame and the site is getting pretty dead lately)
I see so many art sold for $100 but that's for the good ones.
On FR, I don't think many would have the funds...
What about 1500g?
eek! i said 650-700 was fine but then a bunch of people started ranting

yeah, 1500g seems way more reasonable
eek! i said 650-700 was fine but then a bunch of people started ranting

yeah, 1500g seems way more reasonable
Hello LGBT Community
Just going to chime in and say that those art pieces in your first post are absolutely stunning! Also, don't undersell yourself as others have stated!
Just going to chime in and say that those art pieces in your first post are absolutely stunning! Also, don't undersell yourself as others have stated!
p5ZHeyn.pngVo1gdXi.gif
So...I'm going to start at 1200g maybe then i may increase/decrease depending on demand...for now I still have 3 commissions!
So...I'm going to start at 1200g maybe then i may increase/decrease depending on demand...for now I still have 3 commissions!
Boop
I've seen a shop selling headshots for $20
I should price higher...
Boop
I've seen a shop selling headshots for $20
I should price higher...
1 2 3 4