Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [Lore]Flight Funerary Rituals?
1 2 3 4 5
Fire, naturally, practices cremation.
However what surprises many visiting dragons is the common practice of forging the ashes of one's ancestor in swords and other weapons. Fire dragons believe that by fusing the soul of a deceased friend or relative with a weapon that the deceased will help protect the bearer, and if the weapon is stolen, the spirit will hamper the thief if they try to use it. Occasionally weaponsa are melted down and re-forged with the ashes of another, generally done with mates who died with a long timespan between them.
Fire, naturally, practices cremation.
However what surprises many visiting dragons is the common practice of forging the ashes of one's ancestor in swords and other weapons. Fire dragons believe that by fusing the soul of a deceased friend or relative with a weapon that the deceased will help protect the bearer, and if the weapon is stolen, the spirit will hamper the thief if they try to use it. Occasionally weaponsa are melted down and re-forged with the ashes of another, generally done with mates who died with a long timespan between them.
sculkquest.pngIconx100t.png
In Earth, I can imagine huge decorated halls of the dead in caves underground. Maybe only the skull is preserved, and is stored in a shelf dug into the stone.

Shadow - Large graveyards normally, but some may just have small stone monuments scattered in the wild, marking where they died.

Ice- bodies frozen, to be forever memorialized.

Plague- Depending on how honourable a death was (old age versus losing in battle) decides how the body is treated.

Arcane- Bodies are magically preserved, or sealed in amber (much like how Faes build nests)

Wind- I don't know why, but I feel as though wings would be preserved. The rest is scattered in the breeze as ashes.

Light- Ashes are put into urns. Or, in the case of a Pearlcatcher, the ashes could be stored inside the pearl which was hollowed out ever so slightly.

...That's all I've got.
In Earth, I can imagine huge decorated halls of the dead in caves underground. Maybe only the skull is preserved, and is stored in a shelf dug into the stone.

Shadow - Large graveyards normally, but some may just have small stone monuments scattered in the wild, marking where they died.

Ice- bodies frozen, to be forever memorialized.

Plague- Depending on how honourable a death was (old age versus losing in battle) decides how the body is treated.

Arcane- Bodies are magically preserved, or sealed in amber (much like how Faes build nests)

Wind- I don't know why, but I feel as though wings would be preserved. The rest is scattered in the breeze as ashes.

Light- Ashes are put into urns. Or, in the case of a Pearlcatcher, the ashes could be stored inside the pearl which was hollowed out ever so slightly.

...That's all I've got.
8mIb4Hl.gif
My clan requires that you write a will so that we know what to do with your body. If it's a stillborn or some other weird circumstance (i.e no body) we'll have a ceremony then either literally or metaphorically send the body off in an elaborate pyroclastic ritual that involves mirrors. Then we make a monument.

We don't do anything for the lawyers though (so they don't write wills either), we just leave their bodies in a room overnight and in the morning there's just the smell of brimstone.

(More seriously I think Light in general practices cremation like fire, and marks the deceased in some way or another.)
My clan requires that you write a will so that we know what to do with your body. If it's a stillborn or some other weird circumstance (i.e no body) we'll have a ceremony then either literally or metaphorically send the body off in an elaborate pyroclastic ritual that involves mirrors. Then we make a monument.

We don't do anything for the lawyers though (so they don't write wills either), we just leave their bodies in a room overnight and in the morning there's just the smell of brimstone.

(More seriously I think Light in general practices cremation like fire, and marks the deceased in some way or another.)
XOxv5KE.png
in my lore, a dragon who is dead and still in my lair is usually a reincarnate, a living statue, a spirit, or an unkillable god. [s]HEROES NEVER DIE[/S] Gotta keep it pg friendly *then proceeds to purge half the clan* [b]Example:[/b] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42944152] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/429442/42944152_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] This is [b]Exino[/b], he's the demi-god of unluckiness and misfortune. He wears those bandages to cover his many scars of loosing his limbs and other unlucky occurrences. He wears a jester frill thing because his misfortune is funny to other and its like a cone of shame. He can't die because thats how unlucky he is, he just can't be put out of his misery. He tends to be the one most dragons see when they are about to reincarnate to the next life and instructs them what to do to get another chance of a new life if they need too. He's also the undertaker of the clan. He does the reaping sometimes but only when Frostheart isn't able to reap the souls that day.
in my lore, a dragon who is dead and still in my lair is usually a reincarnate, a living statue, a spirit, or an unkillable god. HEROES NEVER DIE Gotta keep it pg friendly *then proceeds to purge half the clan*

Example: This is Exino, he's the demi-god of unluckiness and misfortune. He wears those bandages to cover his many scars of loosing his limbs and other unlucky occurrences. He wears a jester frill thing because his misfortune is funny to other and its like a cone of shame. He can't die because thats how unlucky he is, he just can't be put out of his misery. He tends to be the one most dragons see when they are about to reincarnate to the next life and instructs them what to do to get another chance of a new life if they need too. He's also the undertaker of the clan. He does the reaping sometimes but only when Frostheart isn't able to reap the souls that day.
77ec1a36661e11a40962b415b0b10b4babdc0c65.png
In my lore, I have the following:

Arcane - dissolved using magic

Earth - Buried under cairns of stone

Fire - Cremated, naturally

Ice - Frozen in the ice fields - buried deep in the permafrost

Light - Placed in tombs to rot, then the bones placed in ossuaries in temples full of light

Lightning - Cremated, then the ashes compressed to diamonds

Nature - buried in the earth, with seeds churned into the soil to grow

Plague - allowed to rot naturally

Shadow - buried in the earth, with fungus spores planted with the body.

Water - Buried at sea - wrapped in biodegradable fabric and rope and sunk to the ocean floor

Wind - sky burial. Some clans keep the skulls in niches to watch over their clan / feel the wind on their bones
In my lore, I have the following:

Arcane - dissolved using magic

Earth - Buried under cairns of stone

Fire - Cremated, naturally

Ice - Frozen in the ice fields - buried deep in the permafrost

Light - Placed in tombs to rot, then the bones placed in ossuaries in temples full of light

Lightning - Cremated, then the ashes compressed to diamonds

Nature - buried in the earth, with seeds churned into the soil to grow

Plague - allowed to rot naturally

Shadow - buried in the earth, with fungus spores planted with the body.

Water - Buried at sea - wrapped in biodegradable fabric and rope and sunk to the ocean floor

Wind - sky burial. Some clans keep the skulls in niches to watch over their clan / feel the wind on their bones
b6c909a097384df55457cdfcbf869a92.png
There's a short service remembering them and wishing them well, then the undertaker buries them.
There's a short service remembering them and wishing them well, then the undertaker buries them.
1550200768301.png 1550941667954.png 1550191311250.png
I would imagine that one form of Wind flight funerary rituals would be to put the deceased dragon's cremated ashes in a balloon or kite and send it on the wind. Alternately, just take the ashes to, like, the head of the Cloudsong and send them into the wind from there.
I would imagine that one form of Wind flight funerary rituals would be to put the deceased dragon's cremated ashes in a balloon or kite and send it on the wind. Alternately, just take the ashes to, like, the head of the Cloudsong and send them into the wind from there.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
I imagine Earth flight like the ancient Peruvians; the body of the dead is desiccated into a natural mummy after being wrapped in cloth bundles and adorned with jewelry and things that mattered to them in their life. Since my vision of Earth involves most clans with Snappers on their endless migratory loops, their dead are interred in sacred canyons that they visit at certain points on their routes. They will carry the prepared body of the deceased long distances to make sure they can be interred in these canyon coves.
I imagine Earth flight like the ancient Peruvians; the body of the dead is desiccated into a natural mummy after being wrapped in cloth bundles and adorned with jewelry and things that mattered to them in their life. Since my vision of Earth involves most clans with Snappers on their endless migratory loops, their dead are interred in sacred canyons that they visit at certain points on their routes. They will carry the prepared body of the deceased long distances to make sure they can be interred in these canyon coves.
earthr.pngkpBHZdf.gifDQCsQbQ.gifearthshieldr.png
My clan floats them off into space. Though if the spell wears off before they're up high enough they come plummeting back down somewhere.
My clan floats them off into space. Though if the spell wears off before they're up high enough they come plummeting back down somewhere.
X
X
loading.gif

X
X
It's rather dependant on the dragons themselves in my Clan.
It depends sometimes on breed, Flight of origin and the individual
As a general rule, My Plague Mirrors are happy to eat their fallen comrades. They believe that they live on with them, and that this allows their deceased to survive on with them. (Though some other Plague-Born individuals also take part in this ritual)

My Imperials will travel far to dispose of the bodies of their kin. Where they deposit the body depend on the flight of birth of the fallen dragon. Plague Imperials may be offered as food for mirrors, buried with other Plague-born Imperials (since they don't seem to form into an Emperor with the same element) Or given a personal grave. For Nature-born, they're likely to take them towards the Behemoth and find a burial site in the forests of Nature Territory. Fire Imperials are thrown into volcanoes. Water are dumped into deep underwater trenches.

My Pearlcatchers sometimes hold elaborate and showy funerals.

My Wind dragons (Most notably most of my Skydancers) bury their dead. If a strong wind or tornado happens soon after, they believe it is the soul of their comrade being taken to the afterlife.

It's all I've got so far.
It's rather dependant on the dragons themselves in my Clan.
It depends sometimes on breed, Flight of origin and the individual
As a general rule, My Plague Mirrors are happy to eat their fallen comrades. They believe that they live on with them, and that this allows their deceased to survive on with them. (Though some other Plague-Born individuals also take part in this ritual)

My Imperials will travel far to dispose of the bodies of their kin. Where they deposit the body depend on the flight of birth of the fallen dragon. Plague Imperials may be offered as food for mirrors, buried with other Plague-born Imperials (since they don't seem to form into an Emperor with the same element) Or given a personal grave. For Nature-born, they're likely to take them towards the Behemoth and find a burial site in the forests of Nature Territory. Fire Imperials are thrown into volcanoes. Water are dumped into deep underwater trenches.

My Pearlcatchers sometimes hold elaborate and showy funerals.

My Wind dragons (Most notably most of my Skydancers) bury their dead. If a strong wind or tornado happens soon after, they believe it is the soul of their comrade being taken to the afterlife.

It's all I've got so far.
Can't you hear the bells singing along?
You all hear it on the radio
Can't you see the hero coming home?
Can't you hear the bells
677.png967.png23821.png
1 2 3 4 5