Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lorebuilding 101: Friends and Foes
1 2
*rolls in real quick* anyone looking for lore partners or even just tidbits of relations with other dragons/clans might be interested in Lore Connections! it's still pretty new, but there's a spreadsheet of users and dragons with different criteria, so people can look it up and say what they're searching for and see if anyone has something to offer!

@Ivythorn you might be interested in this ^ ?
*rolls in real quick* anyone looking for lore partners or even just tidbits of relations with other dragons/clans might be interested in Lore Connections! it's still pretty new, but there's a spreadsheet of users and dragons with different criteria, so people can look it up and say what they're searching for and see if anyone has something to offer!

@Ivythorn you might be interested in this ^ ?
yellow flag icon linking to After's Lair Directory
After
They/them

< Lair Directory
Sig Spotlight >
Coliseum banner showing After's avatar dragon, a steel blue and black Spiral.Coliseum banner showing a black and red Coatl.
Coliseum banner showing a Wildclaw with flames and a soot-covered face.Coliseum banner showing a black and beige Skydancer.
@After

Thanks, I'll check it out!
@After

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Please ping me when you reply to my
posts or I probably won't see it.
I don't really sub to my topics, so
Unless I specify, ping me
tumblr_nm1sm0uXkM1tfzajgo3_r1_75sq.gif tumblr_n4rnlnlsOx1sl6hkto5_250.gif
1. Do you have any clan alliances or rival clans?
Not yet, but hey, I'll get there one day!
Create a whole new clan of NPCs from the Scrying Workshop.
Better Idea: Grab the permadergs in my clan that aren't OCs/fandragons and use them!
Amalglo
Arrix
Bedanita
Mystique
Visionary
What keeps these two clans together?
Originally a small group of travelers, they've taken refuge within the borders of our clan. Arrix acts as a reality-grounder to more excitable dragons, Bedanita entertains others with beautiful dances, Mystique acts as the clan Matriarch, being a helper to our Parriarch, and Visionary has powerful magic that he's learning to control with the help of Salem.
Amalglo is a rescued experiment the mini-clan had taken under their wing. We're currently trying to figure how exactly to, well, stabilize it.

2. Let’s talk about Beastclans.
Which Beastclan can be helpful to yours?
Centaur: Centaurs are the one Beastclan defense we have against the ever-encroaching Serthis. When we have to hunt, we always find a group of Centaurs to hunt alongside for mutual protection. We often share our catch with them, and on occasion we open up trade with them. While we're not as close with them as we are with the Maren, we're still in high relations.
Harpy: With a colony living not terribly far from the clan, we've attempted to make good connections with them. Having an actual Harpy of our own has greatly affected this, and Harpy subsequently acts as our resident ambassador/tradesmen.
As steady trade and successful meetings continue, we may be able to start an Alliance with them, although that is simply a plan for the future.
Longneck: Salem, being a seer, sometimes seeks out a Longneck Magi or Mender when her visions get too intense to handle. With a settlement near the Harpy's, it doesn't take long to find them, although Harpy relations have strained. Salem has become the Longneck Ambassador of the clan due to this connection.
Maren: Living right by the sea, Maren frequent the shore to trade and hunt. Some have known Drown since he was a hatchling, and he's been claimed as the 'Maren Ambassador' by them, to which he doesn't deny. Kailani sometimes swims with them in his free time, chatting up anyone who happens to listen. The Maren are in a not-quite alliance, but more than friends relationship with our clan. Perhaps we simply have to ask for an alliance in order to gain one.
Which are harmful?
Serthis: The Serthis are hiding everywhere inside the Tangled Wood, rendering the whole place dangerous, but especially during the Summer and Autumn. Eye Flowers detect Serthis near our border every week, and it leaves everybody on edge. Perhaps one day, we'll have someone able to befriend them, but until then they remain an enemy to us.
Talonok: Angry birds. That's what they are. They live relatively close to us, and provide an extra challenge alongside the Serthis, but with zero stealth. Harpy actively avoids them during his flights, as a few have been seen throwing spears as he passes by. Mortal enemies, these guys are.
Are these outliers or is this typical? These are the typical statistics of the Beastclans. While naturally we have a few that have become allies and were taken into the clan, most fall into the helpful/harmful category.
How does the familiars you have of the same race feel about this prospect?
Those of races under the Helpful category are, as it says, helpful. Serthis familiars are treated with caution, but they provide valuable knowledge for brewing. Talonok flock to Harpy, who manages to at least keep them from destroying the clan's food supplies.

3. How do familiars work in your clan? Familiars are non-dragonic partners to dragons in my lair, acting as friends and mutual companions with them.
Are they ever constant companions or are they all clustered together in a separate part of the lair? They stick by their assigned owner, before they're switched out for a new one after becoming Awakened. When not in use, they wander the clan or stay in little piles in everyone's lairs.
Are your familiars all sentient or are they more beast like? Beastclan, sprites and some NOTN familiars all are either sentient or show some level of it. Most other familiars are more beast-like in action.
Can they communicate with dragons? Every familiar has some way or another to speak to dragons. Serthis, Maren, Centaurs, and Harpies all know dragonic, while Talonok and Longneck communicate through bird or telepathy respectively. Festival sprites/helpers speak dragonic. All other familiars speak through various forms of communication, like telepathy, limb-gestures, and bestial noises. You know how humans watch body language and whatnot to understand their pets? It's like that.
How do fish or flying types of familiars get through their day? Fish and other aquatic familiars get spheres of water around them that float, so they simply have to swim or walk in the direction they want to go and they'll go there! Flying familiars fly, obviously, but we've asked them to try not and bug dragons during important self-rituals or tasks.
Don’t forget about sprites and other festival familiars! The festive bears can only speak bestial, but the sprites, goblins, and helpers can all speak some degree of dragonic.

Remember that lore partner? Grab a new one for one event, encounter or visit.
I'll do my best!
1. Do you have any clan alliances or rival clans?
Not yet, but hey, I'll get there one day!
Create a whole new clan of NPCs from the Scrying Workshop.
Better Idea: Grab the permadergs in my clan that aren't OCs/fandragons and use them!
Amalglo
Arrix
Bedanita
Mystique
Visionary
What keeps these two clans together?
Originally a small group of travelers, they've taken refuge within the borders of our clan. Arrix acts as a reality-grounder to more excitable dragons, Bedanita entertains others with beautiful dances, Mystique acts as the clan Matriarch, being a helper to our Parriarch, and Visionary has powerful magic that he's learning to control with the help of Salem.
Amalglo is a rescued experiment the mini-clan had taken under their wing. We're currently trying to figure how exactly to, well, stabilize it.

2. Let’s talk about Beastclans.
Which Beastclan can be helpful to yours?
Centaur: Centaurs are the one Beastclan defense we have against the ever-encroaching Serthis. When we have to hunt, we always find a group of Centaurs to hunt alongside for mutual protection. We often share our catch with them, and on occasion we open up trade with them. While we're not as close with them as we are with the Maren, we're still in high relations.
Harpy: With a colony living not terribly far from the clan, we've attempted to make good connections with them. Having an actual Harpy of our own has greatly affected this, and Harpy subsequently acts as our resident ambassador/tradesmen.
As steady trade and successful meetings continue, we may be able to start an Alliance with them, although that is simply a plan for the future.
Longneck: Salem, being a seer, sometimes seeks out a Longneck Magi or Mender when her visions get too intense to handle. With a settlement near the Harpy's, it doesn't take long to find them, although Harpy relations have strained. Salem has become the Longneck Ambassador of the clan due to this connection.
Maren: Living right by the sea, Maren frequent the shore to trade and hunt. Some have known Drown since he was a hatchling, and he's been claimed as the 'Maren Ambassador' by them, to which he doesn't deny. Kailani sometimes swims with them in his free time, chatting up anyone who happens to listen. The Maren are in a not-quite alliance, but more than friends relationship with our clan. Perhaps we simply have to ask for an alliance in order to gain one.
Which are harmful?
Serthis: The Serthis are hiding everywhere inside the Tangled Wood, rendering the whole place dangerous, but especially during the Summer and Autumn. Eye Flowers detect Serthis near our border every week, and it leaves everybody on edge. Perhaps one day, we'll have someone able to befriend them, but until then they remain an enemy to us.
Talonok: Angry birds. That's what they are. They live relatively close to us, and provide an extra challenge alongside the Serthis, but with zero stealth. Harpy actively avoids them during his flights, as a few have been seen throwing spears as he passes by. Mortal enemies, these guys are.
Are these outliers or is this typical? These are the typical statistics of the Beastclans. While naturally we have a few that have become allies and were taken into the clan, most fall into the helpful/harmful category.
How does the familiars you have of the same race feel about this prospect?
Those of races under the Helpful category are, as it says, helpful. Serthis familiars are treated with caution, but they provide valuable knowledge for brewing. Talonok flock to Harpy, who manages to at least keep them from destroying the clan's food supplies.

3. How do familiars work in your clan? Familiars are non-dragonic partners to dragons in my lair, acting as friends and mutual companions with them.
Are they ever constant companions or are they all clustered together in a separate part of the lair? They stick by their assigned owner, before they're switched out for a new one after becoming Awakened. When not in use, they wander the clan or stay in little piles in everyone's lairs.
Are your familiars all sentient or are they more beast like? Beastclan, sprites and some NOTN familiars all are either sentient or show some level of it. Most other familiars are more beast-like in action.
Can they communicate with dragons? Every familiar has some way or another to speak to dragons. Serthis, Maren, Centaurs, and Harpies all know dragonic, while Talonok and Longneck communicate through bird or telepathy respectively. Festival sprites/helpers speak dragonic. All other familiars speak through various forms of communication, like telepathy, limb-gestures, and bestial noises. You know how humans watch body language and whatnot to understand their pets? It's like that.
How do fish or flying types of familiars get through their day? Fish and other aquatic familiars get spheres of water around them that float, so they simply have to swim or walk in the direction they want to go and they'll go there! Flying familiars fly, obviously, but we've asked them to try not and bug dragons during important self-rituals or tasks.
Don’t forget about sprites and other festival familiars! The festive bears can only speak bestial, but the sprites, goblins, and helpers can all speak some degree of dragonic.

Remember that lore partner? Grab a new one for one event, encounter or visit.
I'll do my best!
vjO547Q.png6NDVAGQ.pngOwJYX7b.png
[quote name="Ivythorn" date="2018-04-27 12:50:14" ] If anyone from here wants to be lore partners ping or pm me [/quote] S'up @Ivythorn wanna see if our clans clash? Lol
Ivythorn wrote on 2018-04-27 12:50:14:
If anyone from here wants to be lore partners ping or pm me

S'up @Ivythorn wanna see if our clans clash? Lol
1 2