Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | No more retired = ruined festival for me
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17
As someone who had to save up for 4 months and only managed through 'friend rate' gem ratios and various gifts of gems just to afford a Boneyard Tatters I can say that I dont agree with this sentiment at all.

Yeah sure RIGHT NOW they arent worth much but when we have more festivals the pool for the spare inventory chests will grow. Add to that the fact that we get a few hundred or so new players EVERY MONTH? The demand for older stuff WILL go up....just not to light sprite levels.

If people are ticked that they wont be able to sell stuff at light sprite levels then piffle on them. Its not fair to charge over $100 USD for something you happened to get for pennies because you were aware of FR sooner or were old enough to join before some of the younger members.

If you dont like the way things are now? Quit...go find one of those games where new players are screwed from ever having anything nice unless they want to sell their souls. I mean...Chicken Smoothie sounds right up your bedanged alley!
As someone who had to save up for 4 months and only managed through 'friend rate' gem ratios and various gifts of gems just to afford a Boneyard Tatters I can say that I dont agree with this sentiment at all.

Yeah sure RIGHT NOW they arent worth much but when we have more festivals the pool for the spare inventory chests will grow. Add to that the fact that we get a few hundred or so new players EVERY MONTH? The demand for older stuff WILL go up....just not to light sprite levels.

If people are ticked that they wont be able to sell stuff at light sprite levels then piffle on them. Its not fair to charge over $100 USD for something you happened to get for pennies because you were aware of FR sooner or were old enough to join before some of the younger members.

If you dont like the way things are now? Quit...go find one of those games where new players are screwed from ever having anything nice unless they want to sell their souls. I mean...Chicken Smoothie sounds right up your bedanged alley!
X0JktGl.png
This reminds me of ye olden days when people whined that dragon prices were going down, lmao.
This reminds me of ye olden days when people whined that dragon prices were going down, lmao.
birkinweskerfr.png
It'd be nice if people could make criticisms of FR without being ordered to quit. There's a suggestions forum for a reason!
It'd be nice if people could make criticisms of FR without being ordered to quit. There's a suggestions forum for a reason!
I used to love festivals. The excitement of grinding to get something you could get then and only then. But really, I have no reason to care now. All those items I grinded for are worth almost nothing. Fest currency has dropped so low in price I pretty much have no need to go to the coli anymore. The only reason I'm grinding now is because I'm also grinding for eggs, and the fest currency is just a side thing. Festivals are just like any other day now. Although it's not enough to leave FR, it's just a huge turn off. I'm glad to see that other people feel the same. I'm just so invested in this sight that I doubt even a major change would get me to quit. I love it, but the love seems unrequited.
I used to love festivals. The excitement of grinding to get something you could get then and only then. But really, I have no reason to care now. All those items I grinded for are worth almost nothing. Fest currency has dropped so low in price I pretty much have no need to go to the coli anymore. The only reason I'm grinding now is because I'm also grinding for eggs, and the fest currency is just a side thing. Festivals are just like any other day now. Although it's not enough to leave FR, it's just a huge turn off. I'm glad to see that other people feel the same. I'm just so invested in this sight that I doubt even a major change would get me to quit. I love it, but the love seems unrequited.
23848.png17499.png17500.png23847.png
So, personally I am glad things don't retire anymore. I think it's silly to have perfectly nice elemental apparel and stuff that hardly anyone can use because it was only available for a week. I don't think they should have retired any of it to start with, honestly, and I'm glad new players will be able to get it without massive efforts. They might need to adjust the values in the Joxar chests a bit so that there is a lower chance of getting past fest items, because they don't need to be so cheap that they only cost 20kt. Still, as more years past and more items are added to the pool, the chances of getting each individual item will get smaller, so the prices will go up, albeit much more slowly.

That being said, it's true that this month's and last month's festivals haven't been all that fun for me. Its been a combination of the declining value of festival currency, the apparel being very full coverage and something I'm unlikely to use, the familiars being sort of creepy looking with the masks, and the vistas being very pretty but also something I'm unlikely to use except for my own flight's deity. So there hasn't really been anything for me to get excited about. I'm not sure what should be done to make them more exciting, but please don't start retiring items again, even if I would profit from it.
So, personally I am glad things don't retire anymore. I think it's silly to have perfectly nice elemental apparel and stuff that hardly anyone can use because it was only available for a week. I don't think they should have retired any of it to start with, honestly, and I'm glad new players will be able to get it without massive efforts. They might need to adjust the values in the Joxar chests a bit so that there is a lower chance of getting past fest items, because they don't need to be so cheap that they only cost 20kt. Still, as more years past and more items are added to the pool, the chances of getting each individual item will get smaller, so the prices will go up, albeit much more slowly.

That being said, it's true that this month's and last month's festivals haven't been all that fun for me. Its been a combination of the declining value of festival currency, the apparel being very full coverage and something I'm unlikely to use, the familiars being sort of creepy looking with the masks, and the vistas being very pretty but also something I'm unlikely to use except for my own flight's deity. So there hasn't really been anything for me to get excited about. I'm not sure what should be done to make them more exciting, but please don't start retiring items again, even if I would profit from it.
@Danlion This is absolutely like when Imp prices started to plummet and so many people were so upset that their ugly triple-basic Imps weren't cash cows anymore. It's FR's growing pains, is all, and some people are inevitably gonna complain because that's how some people react to change.
@Danlion This is absolutely like when Imp prices started to plummet and so many people were so upset that their ugly triple-basic Imps weren't cash cows anymore. It's FR's growing pains, is all, and some people are inevitably gonna complain because that's how some people react to change.
they/them • 27 • FR+0

did Atropos even know you had a name?
or when she'd cut the line, that it would leave half my tale untold?

how could you leave half a tale untold?
@raydelblau
(You forgot to ping! Almost missed your comment!)
Yeah, that is a little funny. I didn't notice that I put those two so close together.

Let me attempt to clarify.

Small changes to the economy may mean you need to adjust your playstyle or what you sell slightly to keep making profit, but the game is largely the same. Everything you used to do is still there, and the new things aren't an entirely different game or anything.

If it feels like a small change has completely destroyed someone's interest in the game, that small change may not be what made that big difference in feeling.

I'll give an example: I played Minecraft since early alpha. Then one day they added too many varieties of block colors and it ruined everything (except that wasn't really it.)

It took me a while to realize what had happened. A new update came out and I just wasn't excited like usual. I didn't want to play. I wasn't having fun. I tried to figure out what feature change had done this, even briefly latched on to new decorative block types being added. Tried to tell myself that this had somehow ruined the game. But adding decorative blocks and a few things like new biome types hadn't dramatically altered the way the game was played. The game was changing, yes, but not in a fundamental way. The reason for my change in feeling wasn't a game update, it was a change in me. I had done everything I'd ever wanted to do in Minecraft many times over, I was done.

Hopefully that helps my two "economy changes" and "it might be you that changed" points make more sense together.
@raydelblau
(You forgot to ping! Almost missed your comment!)
Yeah, that is a little funny. I didn't notice that I put those two so close together.

Let me attempt to clarify.

Small changes to the economy may mean you need to adjust your playstyle or what you sell slightly to keep making profit, but the game is largely the same. Everything you used to do is still there, and the new things aren't an entirely different game or anything.

If it feels like a small change has completely destroyed someone's interest in the game, that small change may not be what made that big difference in feeling.

I'll give an example: I played Minecraft since early alpha. Then one day they added too many varieties of block colors and it ruined everything (except that wasn't really it.)

It took me a while to realize what had happened. A new update came out and I just wasn't excited like usual. I didn't want to play. I wasn't having fun. I tried to figure out what feature change had done this, even briefly latched on to new decorative block types being added. Tried to tell myself that this had somehow ruined the game. But adding decorative blocks and a few things like new biome types hadn't dramatically altered the way the game was played. The game was changing, yes, but not in a fundamental way. The reason for my change in feeling wasn't a game update, it was a change in me. I had done everything I'd ever wanted to do in Minecraft many times over, I was done.

Hopefully that helps my two "economy changes" and "it might be you that changed" points make more sense together.
The RNG taketh, and the RNG taketh more. The RNG does not give.
Hoard style apparel guide (!image heavy!)
Small art shop!
[quote name="Skaia" date=2017-08-30 13:38:03] I guess I'm going to be the voice of dissent in this thread and say that I appreciate the Joxar's Boxes model of keeping things un-retired, but in massively diminished quantities. I don't think that Joxar's Boxes are what's keeping the price of fest items down. Don't believe me? Look at Logas - only available for a week, ever, and 100% retired since then. Despite that, prices are still near where they were when Logas were introduced during the first anniversary event where Baldwin was present. They have been unavailable since then; shouldn't they be really expensive by now? No, because the amount of people on the site is much, much, much more than the amount of people able to get holiday items during the 13-14 cycle, which is what many people in this thread - I think -are comparing the new fest apparel prices to. Nothing will ever rise in value as quickly as things like the Windbound Plumage or the Archivist's Spellscroll simply because there are many, many, many more entering the market. Joxar's has a huge pool of items to draw from, and from the testimonies I've seen, seems to favor the apparel recolors/nymphs over actual old fest apparel. Joxar isn't what's keeping the prices down, it's the flooding of the markets because there are so many more users buying fest items now. [/quote] ^^ Exactly. I buy multiples of the familiars and such just so I can circulate them later for anyone who wants them, but I'm not expecting to make a profit. As I've said before, popular accents may go up in price with time, but even if you look at the 2015 festival familiars, they're still very affordable even two years later. Enough people have them that they can circulate fairly easily, so demand never gets too much higher than supply, even though they're 100% retired. Meanwhile the skeletal chimes sell for quite a bit, because enough people like them and want to use them that demand has increased with time. I don't think it's about whether the item is retired or not, and more about market demand not being nearly as high as it is for the much rarer 2013-2014 stuff, retired or not
Skaia wrote on 2017-08-30:
I guess I'm going to be the voice of dissent in this thread and say that I appreciate the Joxar's Boxes model of keeping things un-retired, but in massively diminished quantities. I don't think that Joxar's Boxes are what's keeping the price of fest items down.

Don't believe me? Look at Logas - only available for a week, ever, and 100% retired since then. Despite that, prices are still near where they were when Logas were introduced during the first anniversary event where Baldwin was present. They have been unavailable since then; shouldn't they be really expensive by now?

No, because the amount of people on the site is much, much, much more than the amount of people able to get holiday items during the 13-14 cycle, which is what many people in this thread - I think -are comparing the new fest apparel prices to. Nothing will ever rise in value as quickly as things like the Windbound Plumage or the Archivist's Spellscroll simply because there are many, many, many more entering the market.

Joxar's has a huge pool of items to draw from, and from the testimonies I've seen, seems to favor the apparel recolors/nymphs over actual old fest apparel. Joxar isn't what's keeping the prices down, it's the flooding of the markets because there are so many more users buying fest items now.

^^ Exactly. I buy multiples of the familiars and such just so I can circulate them later for anyone who wants them, but I'm not expecting to make a profit. As I've said before, popular accents may go up in price with time, but even if you look at the 2015 festival familiars, they're still very affordable even two years later. Enough people have them that they can circulate fairly easily, so demand never gets too much higher than supply, even though they're 100% retired. Meanwhile the skeletal chimes sell for quite a bit, because enough people like them and want to use them that demand has increased with time.

I don't think it's about whether the item is retired or not, and more about market demand not being nearly as high as it is for the much rarer 2013-2014 stuff, retired or not
myosotis Sela, she/her, FR+3
Jewelry Box Fae Subspecies
Official Lightning Subspecies
Ultimate Dragon Color Guide
Lore
_______________________Jewelry Box Fae subspecies
Slight tangent: There's an economic theory (Vroom's Expectancy Theory) that defines motivation as the product of three factors: Expectancy, Instrumentality, and Valence. ** = E*I*V.

** is motivation. E is the belief that increasing effort will enhance performance. I is the belief that successful performance will lead to an outcome (say, a reward). V is the extent to which the outcome is desirable.

Lately it's seemed like E and V are sagging, bringing motivation-to-play down along with them. V is low because items are so plentiful and relatively diminished in value. E is low because of the site's reliance on RNG, which becomes the main accessible avenue to big-ticket rewards (eggs, boss familiars) once events lose their draw. I... well, heck, I'm too tired right now to bother with I.

Furthermore (and this isn't an economic theory, it's just common sense)... people like variety. If a whole bunch of users say they have no reason to participate in festivals anymore, and think of that week as just part of the usual slog, then that's a problem.
Slight tangent: There's an economic theory (Vroom's Expectancy Theory) that defines motivation as the product of three factors: Expectancy, Instrumentality, and Valence. ** = E*I*V.

** is motivation. E is the belief that increasing effort will enhance performance. I is the belief that successful performance will lead to an outcome (say, a reward). V is the extent to which the outcome is desirable.

Lately it's seemed like E and V are sagging, bringing motivation-to-play down along with them. V is low because items are so plentiful and relatively diminished in value. E is low because of the site's reliance on RNG, which becomes the main accessible avenue to big-ticket rewards (eggs, boss familiars) once events lose their draw. I... well, heck, I'm too tired right now to bother with I.

Furthermore (and this isn't an economic theory, it's just common sense)... people like variety. If a whole bunch of users say they have no reason to participate in festivals anymore, and think of that week as just part of the usual slog, then that's a problem.
@skaia @danlion

No offense but you're missing the point. The imp market dying was a result of no further gameplay changes. People right now are complaining about a new mechanic to the game, aka festival items not being retired anymore.

The imp market crash was basically inevitable due to the reproduction rates of pixel dragons. Its not really fair to compare a result from existing gameplay mechanics to a result from a new change to the gameplay
@skaia @danlion

No offense but you're missing the point. The imp market dying was a result of no further gameplay changes. People right now are complaining about a new mechanic to the game, aka festival items not being retired anymore.

The imp market crash was basically inevitable due to the reproduction rates of pixel dragons. Its not really fair to compare a result from existing gameplay mechanics to a result from a new change to the gameplay
tastefulmarketing.gif
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17