Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Almost 2 years since we had a new breed.
1 2 3 4 5 6
please

I want more dragons

people say "oh they are busy making sure the site has better preformance, ect." but that is the programmer's job not the artist's. Color wheel was also inexcusably long to release. I've seen other sites update with just as detailed content more often. If this an actual struggle just hire more artists 8))

Also it would be a great way to bring people in again?
please

I want more dragons

people say "oh they are busy making sure the site has better preformance, ect." but that is the programmer's job not the artist's. Color wheel was also inexcusably long to release. I've seen other sites update with just as detailed content more often. If this an actual struggle just hire more artists 8))

Also it would be a great way to bring people in again?
They are hiring new artists, they've been advertising that for a while, and unfortunately without better servers and smoother coding, etc., all the things that make the site function better, introducing the player and content volume they've been doing would be at best, a hassle on everyone, at worst, impossible. And sure, they can hire more artists, but first artists have to apply and submit portfolios and go through interviews, because it is a job that costs and pays actual real money. Artists don't just pop up like elves and start scribbling dragons in SAI while the current developers sleep.

Just a couple of years ago, 3000 users online all at once made the entire site slow to a crawl, more would make it crash. Coli was unusable by a huge segment of the userbase. Just ask anyone who started in 2013 about "Mistakes were made." The site has come such a long way from there. And they've only recently looked at the amount of space just notifications and AH messages were hogging on the servers and found ways to fix it. More space means more room for things like the insane number of images that a male and female of one breed in every possible gene and color combination creates, not to mention the staggering amount of apparel that accompanies them.

So yes, things take a long time, and there are growing pains, and the FR crew probably doesn't always meet the time goals and such that they personally have in mind, and mistakes are made, and things have to be redrawn and recolored, and people complain, and they have to scrap things and do them over again and pretend they don't care about players nagging on the forum about how they do things.

But they do damn good work. They're always working to improve this site. They've tried to create a better relationship between developers and players. So if it takes longer than expected for a new breed to come out, it's understandable. The least we can do, if we appreciate the site, is play on and show those behind all the work we see some respect.
They are hiring new artists, they've been advertising that for a while, and unfortunately without better servers and smoother coding, etc., all the things that make the site function better, introducing the player and content volume they've been doing would be at best, a hassle on everyone, at worst, impossible. And sure, they can hire more artists, but first artists have to apply and submit portfolios and go through interviews, because it is a job that costs and pays actual real money. Artists don't just pop up like elves and start scribbling dragons in SAI while the current developers sleep.

Just a couple of years ago, 3000 users online all at once made the entire site slow to a crawl, more would make it crash. Coli was unusable by a huge segment of the userbase. Just ask anyone who started in 2013 about "Mistakes were made." The site has come such a long way from there. And they've only recently looked at the amount of space just notifications and AH messages were hogging on the servers and found ways to fix it. More space means more room for things like the insane number of images that a male and female of one breed in every possible gene and color combination creates, not to mention the staggering amount of apparel that accompanies them.

So yes, things take a long time, and there are growing pains, and the FR crew probably doesn't always meet the time goals and such that they personally have in mind, and mistakes are made, and things have to be redrawn and recolored, and people complain, and they have to scrap things and do them over again and pretend they don't care about players nagging on the forum about how they do things.

But they do damn good work. They're always working to improve this site. They've tried to create a better relationship between developers and players. So if it takes longer than expected for a new breed to come out, it's understandable. The least we can do, if we appreciate the site, is play on and show those behind all the work we see some respect.
IlluminartiIn-Flight HubPublic Buy
I joined right before nocturnes came out, I was expecting 2 breeds a year because that's what they said they were aiming for, I put money in the game and kinda regretted it when it became apparent that was an empty promise. :/ I think they put too much into genes and apparel and that's really backed things up. Really wish they had gone about it better, I'd love to see a new breed
I joined right before nocturnes came out, I was expecting 2 breeds a year because that's what they said they were aiming for, I put money in the game and kinda regretted it when it became apparent that was an empty promise. :/ I think they put too much into genes and apparel and that's really backed things up. Really wish they had gone about it better, I'd love to see a new breed
THEY RELEASE NEW BREEDS?????!!!!!!???!!!

I really need to do more research on FR. . .
THEY RELEASE NEW BREEDS?????!!!!!!???!!!

I really need to do more research on FR. . .
QiRqFyd.gif
Problem with everyone who says "we were promised two breeds a year and haven't had any!" is that they don't get how people always underestimate about how long something will take them and how difficult it'll be.

I mean the admins had no idea how popular the site was gonna get, in what is still effectively beta, when they said two breeds a year. As far as I remember they said that before I started playing, so I don't think people should whinge about what the admins said back when they thought, for example, they'd be able to hand-draw all the genes without it causing too much effort.

Things always take more effort and time than suggested by an estimate made so early on. I mean they don't make promises like that any more so that they don't have to deal with this kind of displeasure from the userbase.

Could they release another breed right now? I think they probably could. But they want to deal with other things first. It's probably fair to say they're hoping we're distracted enough by the genes and apparel they release to not mind too much.

And if none of that makes you calm down, maybe it's as bad as you think it is, but it's not that important? This is a game about pixel dragons lol. It's fun and all, but I don't think you should be so worked up about planning fallacy mistakes.
Problem with everyone who says "we were promised two breeds a year and haven't had any!" is that they don't get how people always underestimate about how long something will take them and how difficult it'll be.

I mean the admins had no idea how popular the site was gonna get, in what is still effectively beta, when they said two breeds a year. As far as I remember they said that before I started playing, so I don't think people should whinge about what the admins said back when they thought, for example, they'd be able to hand-draw all the genes without it causing too much effort.

Things always take more effort and time than suggested by an estimate made so early on. I mean they don't make promises like that any more so that they don't have to deal with this kind of displeasure from the userbase.

Could they release another breed right now? I think they probably could. But they want to deal with other things first. It's probably fair to say they're hoping we're distracted enough by the genes and apparel they release to not mind too much.

And if none of that makes you calm down, maybe it's as bad as you think it is, but it's not that important? This is a game about pixel dragons lol. It's fun and all, but I don't think you should be so worked up about planning fallacy mistakes.
Professional Grump

I live for memes
I hope we get another chubby one when they have time to release it. Snappers are not the favorite on the site as we all know, but I ADORE the babies and the females are so cute! More chubby stompers! >:V Or yes, and aquatic derg, I think that new familiar we got some weeks ago would be awesome for a dragon concept. These two [img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/updates/Tendril_Loach_large.png[/img]
I hope we get another chubby one when they have time to release it. Snappers are not the favorite on the site as we all know, but I ADORE the babies and the females are so cute! More chubby stompers! >:V Or yes, and aquatic derg, I think that new familiar we got some weeks ago would be awesome for a dragon concept. These two
Tendril_Loach_large.png
If you have a chartreuse/cottoncandy xxy to sell, dm me!

Check out my Deviantart if you'd like :3
@Pennifeather @ArgenteaMoon well said! You made a lot of points that I never thought about and gave me a perspective to this sites history. I only recently joined so it was vey interesting to hear how things developed over time.

And while I hadn't been impatient over new breeds or anything (one could argue that I haven't been here taht long, but oh well), it is still nice to have some idea about what it takes to actually release a new breed. Having to fit all that apparel must be so much work.
@Pennifeather @ArgenteaMoon well said! You made a lot of points that I never thought about and gave me a perspective to this sites history. I only recently joined so it was vey interesting to hear how things developed over time.

And while I hadn't been impatient over new breeds or anything (one could argue that I haven't been here taht long, but oh well), it is still nice to have some idea about what it takes to actually release a new breed. Having to fit all that apparel must be so much work.
kQXO8qG.gifvGD9pLb.png
pudge dragon 2k16
pudge dragon 2k16
QziQrLH.gif XYGqOay.png 1nz9EYP.gif
When will the new breeds come back from the war.
When will the new breeds come back from the war.
vista_ridge2.png-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --bouncy_lightning_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da9o0v9.gif-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --vista_ridge2.png
[quote name="korvas" date=2016-08-26 23:33:13] people say "oh they are busy making sure the site has better preformance, ect." but that is the programmer's job not the artist's. Color wheel was also inexcusably long to release. I've seen other sites update with just as detailed content more often. If this an actual struggle just hire more artists 8)) [/quote] But they are. :o The job descriptions of two of the new artist positions involves working with new breeds. So odds are they've got something cooking back there... I'm excited but also very patient, I don't mind waiting. :D The wait just brews up more excitement for me. I'd rather wait longer and get a better looking breed that wears all the apparel / genes well.
korvas wrote on 2016-08-26:

But they are. :o The job descriptions of two of the new artist positions involves working with new breeds. So odds are they've got something cooking back there...

I'm excited but also very patient, I don't mind waiting. :D The wait just brews up more excitement for me. I'd rather wait longer and get a better looking breed that wears all the apparel / genes well.
Volunteer Moderator
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising staff, not the volunteer moderator group.
XRwFykP.png

1 2 3 4 5 6