Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Eyes vs lore. what do you do?
1 2 3 4 5 6
I never say that they are not of the flight they're actually born of, but sometimes I like to play around that - make them an "unusual" one for the flight, for example, or mix their appearance that reminds of some other flight with their real one, etc. Or choose a very non-standard appearance for the flight and make the dragon an avid follower of the flight doctrine, like with Lanzig here, who is very proud to be a plague dragon. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=10001486] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/100015/10001486_350.png[/img] [/url] Or just don't care about the flight at all if the lore doesn't need that XD
I never say that they are not of the flight they're actually born of, but sometimes I like to play around that - make them an "unusual" one for the flight, for example, or mix their appearance that reminds of some other flight with their real one, etc.
Or choose a very non-standard appearance for the flight and make the dragon an avid follower of the flight doctrine, like with Lanzig here, who is very proud to be a plague dragon.

10001486_350.png

Or just don't care about the flight at all if the lore doesn't need that XD
Well, I mean, all dragons that go through my lair go to Lightweaver, regardless of their elemental abilities! I don't really think of my dragons as individually being 'part of' their birth flight--that's just the magic their nest was given--they either don't think of the dieties at all, or support the patron lair diety.
....which I'm still not super sure what is, everyone in my lair in the 'leader group' is Plague, my starting flight, and Selebri manages an exalting religion that has to do with Plaguebringer... not sure if Im just ignoring my flight change for their sakes (they're traveling entertainers anyway, it's not like they live in Plague lands.) or if they think that the exalts are going to Plaguebringer but they're actually going to Lightweaver now, or if something changed and they changed their god... woooops.

--uh but I have plenty of dragons where I have just built up their own type of magic, disregarding the flight magic (but they're almost always also able to use said flight magic); prefer a different flight magic and so have magic hybrid abilities; have become so obsessed with other magic they can't weild right away so artificially alchemisize magic and so lose their birth magic... fun things.
Well, I mean, all dragons that go through my lair go to Lightweaver, regardless of their elemental abilities! I don't really think of my dragons as individually being 'part of' their birth flight--that's just the magic their nest was given--they either don't think of the dieties at all, or support the patron lair diety.
....which I'm still not super sure what is, everyone in my lair in the 'leader group' is Plague, my starting flight, and Selebri manages an exalting religion that has to do with Plaguebringer... not sure if Im just ignoring my flight change for their sakes (they're traveling entertainers anyway, it's not like they live in Plague lands.) or if they think that the exalts are going to Plaguebringer but they're actually going to Lightweaver now, or if something changed and they changed their god... woooops.

--uh but I have plenty of dragons where I have just built up their own type of magic, disregarding the flight magic (but they're almost always also able to use said flight magic); prefer a different flight magic and so have magic hybrid abilities; have become so obsessed with other magic they can't weild right away so artificially alchemisize magic and so lose their birth magic... fun things.
22392.png 35896.png 22393.png
@Frenkle
I can't ignore eye colour, it's just wrong to me to say they were born of X flight when they clearly weren't.

That doesn't mean they can't be nothing like their stereotypical flight persona, I just find it a lot more interesting if I can say in their bio that they are like X because their parent/grandparent was from blah flight and they took after them. I had a nature coatl once who could only crisp plants and blow smoke because they took very strongly after their Fire flight parent. I have a PC who sometimes has very forgetful children because she used to be a tundra.

I like tying genetics into lore, I find it much more fun to be creative with what's there than just ignore it. :P

I mean both Jasmin's parents are Lightning, she probably took after them and Galilee's father and paternal grandparents are Light.
@Frenkle
I can't ignore eye colour, it's just wrong to me to say they were born of X flight when they clearly weren't.

That doesn't mean they can't be nothing like their stereotypical flight persona, I just find it a lot more interesting if I can say in their bio that they are like X because their parent/grandparent was from blah flight and they took after them. I had a nature coatl once who could only crisp plants and blow smoke because they took very strongly after their Fire flight parent. I have a PC who sometimes has very forgetful children because she used to be a tundra.

I like tying genetics into lore, I find it much more fun to be creative with what's there than just ignore it. :P

I mean both Jasmin's parents are Lightning, she probably took after them and Galilee's father and paternal grandparents are Light.
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
I have a hard time ignoring Flights. I really enjoy the built-in lore of the game, so if I ignored it I'd feel like I lost the whole point. That said I don't have a problem saying that such-and-such a dragon may have been [i]born[/i] a Wind dragon, but at heart they're a Light dragon. Example, this girl: [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7482931] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/74830/7482931_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] That she considers her allegiance to be for Lightweaver instead of the Windsinger is just part of her lore and not really dependent on eye color (I think). However, if she were inclined to use her breath abilities, then she'd have to use Wind magic. Even still, she's got that wanderlust thing that Wind dragons have. She just directs it toward the acquisition of truth. I have other dragons who chose not to acknowledge that there is even an alignment associated with their eye color. This girl is that way. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7343533] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/73436/7343533_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] She comes more with the attitude of "Don't tell me I'm not the master of my own fate." She doesn't like the idea that there's a stereotype that comes with her eye color, if you will. She's like that all the time, though, seeing as even though she's a Fae dragon she's much more inclined to claw out her enemies' eyes than use magic... Eh. I just think that personalities are such varied and largely unknowable things that there's always going to be that little twinge of something... Like, for Hyrda, she wishes she wasn't a Plague dragon, but she really, wholly believes in "might makes right." She wishes sometimes she didn't believe that. but she does. She is what she is. She can't change that she was born a Plague dragon, she just is and she has to find herself in spite of that truth. Or maybe even find herself with that truth. And I find that a fun thing for character creation/development. And then I have this guy. Who is a Light Flight philosopher. Way to break the mold, Ivaldi... [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20935084] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/209351/20935084_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] But all of my dragons' eggs were laid in their origin Flight. (I think that's how scavenged eggs work...)
I have a hard time ignoring Flights. I really enjoy the built-in lore of the game, so if I ignored it I'd feel like I lost the whole point. That said I don't have a problem saying that such-and-such a dragon may have been born a Wind dragon, but at heart they're a Light dragon. Example, this girl:

That she considers her allegiance to be for Lightweaver instead of the Windsinger is just part of her lore and not really dependent on eye color (I think). However, if she were inclined to use her breath abilities, then she'd have to use Wind magic.

Even still, she's got that wanderlust thing that Wind dragons have. She just directs it toward the acquisition of truth.

I have other dragons who chose not to acknowledge that there is even an alignment associated with their eye color. This girl is that way.

She comes more with the attitude of "Don't tell me I'm not the master of my own fate." She doesn't like the idea that there's a stereotype that comes with her eye color, if you will. She's like that all the time, though, seeing as even though she's a Fae dragon she's much more inclined to claw out her enemies' eyes than use magic...

Eh. I just think that personalities are such varied and largely unknowable things that there's always going to be that little twinge of something... Like, for Hyrda, she wishes she wasn't a Plague dragon, but she really, wholly believes in "might makes right." She wishes sometimes she didn't believe that. but she does. She is what she is. She can't change that she was born a Plague dragon, she just is and she has to find herself in spite of that truth. Or maybe even find herself with that truth.

And I find that a fun thing for character creation/development.

And then I have this guy. Who is a Light Flight philosopher. Way to break the mold, Ivaldi...

But all of my dragons' eggs were laid in their origin Flight. (I think that's how scavenged eggs work...)
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
It depends!

I have two dragons who, flight-wise, are technically Arcane dragons, but I count them as Ice dragons, explaining their eye colour from being albino instead.

Erebos should be a Shadow dragon, I haven't figured out an explanation for his Light eyes yet.

There's also this, which doesn't quite match with the original post but I am talking about it anyways:

I don't really consider personalities and flights together unless they absolutely have to fit, so I have some who don't act like their elements. Iaeste isn't really wind-dragon like, and other than being slightly tricky, Chika isn't really like a typical Shadow dragon. Rils is definitely not ice-dragon like.

My dragons are based off characters of mine, so when I consider flight/eye colour, I go by either the eye colour if the character has no abilities revolving around elements, or the element if the character has elemental abilities. Sometimes I don't even do that, like with Dilmos (exception because light was the element of the one time I saw the colour combo I really wanted in the AH). Some have eye colours that work for both, like Mikael. He has ice blue eyes and has ice abilities, so.

I made mistakes at first before I started really working for it, so some of them don't really match. Ron should be an Ice dragon, for example, and it's also why I went and found better flight replacements for some, like Nico, Apoli, and Hades.
It depends!

I have two dragons who, flight-wise, are technically Arcane dragons, but I count them as Ice dragons, explaining their eye colour from being albino instead.

Erebos should be a Shadow dragon, I haven't figured out an explanation for his Light eyes yet.

There's also this, which doesn't quite match with the original post but I am talking about it anyways:

I don't really consider personalities and flights together unless they absolutely have to fit, so I have some who don't act like their elements. Iaeste isn't really wind-dragon like, and other than being slightly tricky, Chika isn't really like a typical Shadow dragon. Rils is definitely not ice-dragon like.

My dragons are based off characters of mine, so when I consider flight/eye colour, I go by either the eye colour if the character has no abilities revolving around elements, or the element if the character has elemental abilities. Sometimes I don't even do that, like with Dilmos (exception because light was the element of the one time I saw the colour combo I really wanted in the AH). Some have eye colours that work for both, like Mikael. He has ice blue eyes and has ice abilities, so.

I made mistakes at first before I started really working for it, so some of them don't really match. Ron should be an Ice dragon, for example, and it's also why I went and found better flight replacements for some, like Nico, Apoli, and Hades.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
I have a lightning dragon who I wanted to be a water dragon, so I made her a water dragon who's blind.
I have a lightning dragon who I wanted to be a water dragon, so I made her a water dragon who's blind.
I try to factor in eyes/flights into what kind of personality or role a dragon gets, but sometimes I just ignore it all lol
I try to factor in eyes/flights into what kind of personality or role a dragon gets, but sometimes I just ignore it all lol
Gale
FR + 16/17 | Korea | She/Her
[quote name="Charias" date=2016-06-23 11:36:17] It's actually really important for me to have a dragon's lore match their canon element. It just bothers me so much if it doesn't. That isn't to say I don't have dragons that feel more connected to a flight different than their element - I just wouldn't be able to blatantly ignore their actual element and pretend it's something else. Maybe it's because I coli a lot, so the dragon's element does actively affect them. [/quote] Pretty much. If I dragged a Plague dragon in the coli and was saying he was a Light dragon, getting hit with massive crits by light creatures would certainly throw things off. But then again I look for dragons only with specific elements in mind, if its just the color I want, and not the element that matches my intention, not going to go for it. The only exception I have is Gelid... who is still technically a Plague dragon, just got dropped in a pit of liquid ice magic(basically the magic version of liquid nitrogen).
Charias wrote on 2016-06-23:
It's actually really important for me to have a dragon's lore match their canon element. It just bothers me so much if it doesn't. That isn't to say I don't have dragons that feel more connected to a flight different than their element - I just wouldn't be able to blatantly ignore their actual element and pretend it's something else. Maybe it's because I coli a lot, so the dragon's element does actively affect them.

Pretty much. If I dragged a Plague dragon in the coli and was saying he was a Light dragon, getting hit with massive crits by light creatures would certainly throw things off.

But then again I look for dragons only with specific elements in mind, if its just the color I want, and not the element that matches my intention, not going to go for it.

The only exception I have is Gelid... who is still technically a Plague dragon, just got dropped in a pit of liquid ice magic(basically the magic version of liquid nitrogen).
XTgWYyz.pnggPpaGUw.png
I'm with some of the others here in that I feel like completely ignoring the canon of the site is a wasted opportunity. That said, I tend to look at the little blurbs regarding dragons of different flights as being more like common stereotypes than ironbound rules about how they must act.

Like, I have an Ice dragon who seems distant from the rest of her group, but I also have a grumpy Light warrior, and my dragonsona, who's a Shadow dragon, is much more likely to offer genuine help than try to trick or cheat someone out of something.
I'm with some of the others here in that I feel like completely ignoring the canon of the site is a wasted opportunity. That said, I tend to look at the little blurbs regarding dragons of different flights as being more like common stereotypes than ironbound rules about how they must act.

Like, I have an Ice dragon who seems distant from the rest of her group, but I also have a grumpy Light warrior, and my dragonsona, who's a Shadow dragon, is much more likely to offer genuine help than try to trick or cheat someone out of something.
Garden-of-Shadows-Signature.png X9XFFVl.png
It's pretty restrictive. I see a lot of reoccurring themes, such as blindness. IMO it's you lore, so you can do whatever you like with it regardless of the canon. I mean, it's not like our lore's canon anyway.
It's pretty restrictive. I see a lot of reoccurring themes, such as blindness. IMO it's you lore, so you can do whatever you like with it regardless of the canon. I mean, it's not like our lore's canon anyway.
OjayHBU.png
1 2 3 4 5 6