Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Dragon Headcanons?
1 2
[quote name="KitalphaHart" date=2016-04-13 19:38:32] @PhoenixWarlord Like what we do irl? Non-FR user: Hey look at that green car! FR user: Dude that's avocado, get it right. Non-FR user: ??????? [/quote] I call a lot of things Mulberry and Seafoam. At my job we have to categorize things by color, I found kind of an ambiguous red-purple one, and thought "Oh yeah, that's Mulberry, so I'll put that with purple".
KitalphaHart wrote on 2016-04-13:
@PhoenixWarlord
Like what we do irl?
Non-FR user: Hey look at that green car!
FR user: Dude that's avocado, get it right.
Non-FR user: ???????
I call a lot of things Mulberry and Seafoam. At my job we have to categorize things by color, I found kind of an ambiguous red-purple one, and thought "Oh yeah, that's Mulberry, so I'll put that with purple".
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
So it's canon that Mirrors don't fly often but I headcanon that Guardians don't fly very much either. They're more willing than Mirrors, and the ones with large wingspans do fly pretty regularly, but have you seen how heavy they are compared to their size? They're built for being in water, not air.

You know the footprint alphabet from Dinotopia? They also mention a footprint language in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. I think that breeds with no opposable thumbs or big paws or just awkward paws use something akin to that to write, with literal footprints. Faes have their own writing system since they do have dextrous hands and probably cared about writing before other breeds did. Wildclaws, Skydancers, Pearlcatchers, Nocturnes, and Mirrors can all use the Fae alphabet as well, where other breeds, especially Snappers and Guardians, prefer the footprints.

Coatls can hang from trees by their tails. Like (people sometimes think) opossums can.

Nocturnes sleep upside down like bats.
So it's canon that Mirrors don't fly often but I headcanon that Guardians don't fly very much either. They're more willing than Mirrors, and the ones with large wingspans do fly pretty regularly, but have you seen how heavy they are compared to their size? They're built for being in water, not air.

You know the footprint alphabet from Dinotopia? They also mention a footprint language in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. I think that breeds with no opposable thumbs or big paws or just awkward paws use something akin to that to write, with literal footprints. Faes have their own writing system since they do have dextrous hands and probably cared about writing before other breeds did. Wildclaws, Skydancers, Pearlcatchers, Nocturnes, and Mirrors can all use the Fae alphabet as well, where other breeds, especially Snappers and Guardians, prefer the footprints.

Coatls can hang from trees by their tails. Like (people sometimes think) opossums can.

Nocturnes sleep upside down like bats.
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
[quote name="Hold" date=2016-04-13 16:45:42] @/JaxieCat Even though Wildclaw society is based upon being tough, they turn into little soft piles of mush when they are with their mates, especially if their mates are of another species. [/quote] HEADCANNON ACCEPTED @Hold
Hold wrote on 2016-04-13:
@/JaxieCat

Even though Wildclaw society is based upon being tough, they turn into little soft piles of mush when they are with their mates, especially if their mates are of another species.

HEADCANNON ACCEPTED @Hold
JYQOAT.png vista_mirror2.png SFVs3nl.png
ir82bPv.png
@TheSilverFox

Yaaay! :D
@TheSilverFox

Yaaay! :D
@jaxiecat did someone say dragn headcannons? My day has come! and long post is long

Dragon Reproduction

The first four breeds were born into a much harsher world - dragons were not the dominant species then, and then after most of the rabid creatures created by the birth of the Arcanist and the War of Mutation were defeated, they turned to war among themselves. Lots of children, quickly, were necessary for the survival of the breed.

Subsequent breeds were born into less and less harsh worlds, ones where the strain of large dragon populations on the land were becoming apparent, and thus produce offspring far less frequently, i.e. Coatls and Wildclaws.

The Imperials and Nocturnes were special cases. Imperials originally had much faster reproductive systems and shorter times before they could produce another clutch, but this was altered, by either the Imperials themselves, the Lightweaver or the other Gods shortly after their Emporer issue was discovered.

The Nocturnes have slower reproductive systems to make their periodical hibernations easier.

There are small packs of mirrors that roam the same area year after year - it's actually the members that switch out. This began to develop as more and more clans laid claim to territory outside their dens. Routs, as they're called, tend to have an understanding with the dragon clans whose land they run on.

I actually use all Fae as messengers because of their magical skills and how small they are. It's a Headcannon that they're actually the best long-distance fliers - a fairly even wing-to-body ratio and tiny size makes them able to get up very, very high into the air and glide. Kinda like hummingbirds, actually. (If you haven't heard about that before, it's rather neat - the birds weigh between 2-5 grams and the longest recorded migration was 3,530 miles)

Small Fae will eat Maiden's Blush for the intoxicating effects of the mild poison. This has the interesting side effect of making them flush bright red.

If a Guardian’s Charge dies or is destroyed before their hatching, then those dragons simply… wander. Their Search stretches on for as long as the dragon lives, an endless journey with no destination or purpose.

A group of Guardians is called a pod.

Elemental deities can influence the subject of a Guardian's charge. They've been known to "assign" another charge to particularly favored or devote Guardians if theirs is lost, dulling the pain. (Unfortunately, this doesn't always work like the gods intended, and may actually drive some Guardians to suicide.)

A language similar to welsh was the original dialect of some of the tidelord's people (Guardians). All the dragon tongues save for Coatl have since been melded into Common Draconian.

Skydancers have two sets of flight feathers - an underside wing set and an overside wing set. The upper ones are much thinner but an almost exact pattern match to those below.

When Skydancers are resting, they curl up the little claws at the end of their wings.

Crystal Skydancers have their effective emotion sensing range almost doubled. The medulla walls inside each individual hair/tiny feather are lined with minuscule crystals that reverberate with the emphatic gem embedded in their skull.

Most Skydancers believe that the souls of their dead rest inside their gem after their body has passed on. They hold special ceremonies, called The Grinding, in which the dragon closest to the deceased grinds their gem into dust and sets it free on the wind. Their beliefs make the underground trade in Skydancer gems all the more horrifying, especially if it is true.
@jaxiecat did someone say dragn headcannons? My day has come! and long post is long

Dragon Reproduction

The first four breeds were born into a much harsher world - dragons were not the dominant species then, and then after most of the rabid creatures created by the birth of the Arcanist and the War of Mutation were defeated, they turned to war among themselves. Lots of children, quickly, were necessary for the survival of the breed.

Subsequent breeds were born into less and less harsh worlds, ones where the strain of large dragon populations on the land were becoming apparent, and thus produce offspring far less frequently, i.e. Coatls and Wildclaws.

The Imperials and Nocturnes were special cases. Imperials originally had much faster reproductive systems and shorter times before they could produce another clutch, but this was altered, by either the Imperials themselves, the Lightweaver or the other Gods shortly after their Emporer issue was discovered.

The Nocturnes have slower reproductive systems to make their periodical hibernations easier.

There are small packs of mirrors that roam the same area year after year - it's actually the members that switch out. This began to develop as more and more clans laid claim to territory outside their dens. Routs, as they're called, tend to have an understanding with the dragon clans whose land they run on.

I actually use all Fae as messengers because of their magical skills and how small they are. It's a Headcannon that they're actually the best long-distance fliers - a fairly even wing-to-body ratio and tiny size makes them able to get up very, very high into the air and glide. Kinda like hummingbirds, actually. (If you haven't heard about that before, it's rather neat - the birds weigh between 2-5 grams and the longest recorded migration was 3,530 miles)

Small Fae will eat Maiden's Blush for the intoxicating effects of the mild poison. This has the interesting side effect of making them flush bright red.

If a Guardian’s Charge dies or is destroyed before their hatching, then those dragons simply… wander. Their Search stretches on for as long as the dragon lives, an endless journey with no destination or purpose.

A group of Guardians is called a pod.

Elemental deities can influence the subject of a Guardian's charge. They've been known to "assign" another charge to particularly favored or devote Guardians if theirs is lost, dulling the pain. (Unfortunately, this doesn't always work like the gods intended, and may actually drive some Guardians to suicide.)

A language similar to welsh was the original dialect of some of the tidelord's people (Guardians). All the dragon tongues save for Coatl have since been melded into Common Draconian.

Skydancers have two sets of flight feathers - an underside wing set and an overside wing set. The upper ones are much thinner but an almost exact pattern match to those below.

When Skydancers are resting, they curl up the little claws at the end of their wings.

Crystal Skydancers have their effective emotion sensing range almost doubled. The medulla walls inside each individual hair/tiny feather are lined with minuscule crystals that reverberate with the emphatic gem embedded in their skull.

Most Skydancers believe that the souls of their dead rest inside their gem after their body has passed on. They hold special ceremonies, called The Grinding, in which the dragon closest to the deceased grinds their gem into dust and sets it free on the wind. Their beliefs make the underground trade in Skydancer gems all the more horrifying, especially if it is true.
tumblr_oohjb8LNab1u2y46so1_500.gif
Male Spirals do little wiggly dances to impress females.
Also when they fight, they often get tangled in a big ball of angry.
Male Spirals do little wiggly dances to impress females.
Also when they fight, they often get tangled in a big ball of angry.
atla-pixilart-1.png
Fae can't sing, but they do pretty incredible dances that communicate as much as the lyrics of any song. However, Fae dragons are excellent rappers.
Fae can't sing, but they do pretty incredible dances that communicate as much as the lyrics of any song. However, Fae dragons are excellent rappers.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2