Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Banned names for dragons?
1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Up we go!
Up we go!
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/0WHGKhB.gif[/img] No I did not expect my thread to have so much drama I was just confused why I can't name my dragon with numbers I DID NOT ASK FOR THIS
0WHGKhB.gif

No I did not expect my thread to have so much drama I was just confused why I can't name my dragon with numbers I DID NOT ASK FOR THIS
Aw man, I was hoping I could get away with Cracker. Surprised it was banned this early.
Aw man, I was hoping I could get away with Cracker. Surprised it was banned this early.
h4uz0mr.gif
So is Butts really one of the banned names? I named a gen one that in my first week here before I came up with a decent naming scheme for my dergs.

I named him after my cat.

My cat is named Butts.
So is Butts really one of the banned names? I named a gen one that in my first week here before I came up with a decent naming scheme for my dergs.

I named him after my cat.

My cat is named Butts.
Wanted: Nightshade/Nightshade/x or Nightshade XXX Phar/Sarc, all breeds!
@Fawks

Thanks to you, I've now named an exalt fodder dragon "GooeyKablooey".
Dang you. Kablooey is too perfect a name.
@Fawks

Thanks to you, I've now named an exalt fodder dragon "GooeyKablooey".
Dang you. Kablooey is too perfect a name.
4Gh3xRo.png
MUYNhfy.png
sD0LDRK.png
bYt72YT.png

PRICTGJ.png
plague_1.png - gathering turns & coli grinding shop
- plaguedom shop

- item sales
- g1 sales
@corbie It was pretty recent.
@corbie It was pretty recent.
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
@Rhea

So it's only for newly named dergs?

Still, makes me a bit sad since I was planning on eventually finding something that actually looked like him for the name.
@Rhea

So it's only for newly named dergs?

Still, makes me a bit sad since I was planning on eventually finding something that actually looked like him for the name.
Wanted: Nightshade/Nightshade/x or Nightshade XXX Phar/Sarc, all breeds!
@corbie Try using dragon search to find unexalted Butts and see whether you can find a seller?
@corbie Try using dragon search to find unexalted Butts and see whether you can find a seller?
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
We didn't start the fire.
We didn't start the fire.
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
[quote name="Coalescency" date="2014-09-24 08:47:10"]@Ismaiel I guess the coons part is a slur of some sort. So whenever you want to say that breed of cat it looks like your swearing Not that it comes up often but Maine coon cats are awesome![/quote] Not sure if anyone answered this after page 6, but yeah, that's a racial slur in the South US towards African Americans. It's a pretty bad one, though not as common or on par with the n-word. It's mostly a rural thing, and I've never heard it said without a lot of vitriol and hatred behind it (in reference to people, not racoons), as opposed to other slurs, which are more of Things Your Racist Grandma Says Because She Doesn't Know It's Racist. [quote name="Lae" date="2014-09-24 11:42:22"] Not everyone in tumblr is crazy about social justice. But some people still think no one can wear Native American headdress or make celtic tattoos not being Indian or Celtic themselves (or, I dunno, having a paper signed with Celtic represenatatives?) Oh my. I will be happy if someone wanted to use Russian or Ukrainian mythology (we have one! It's big!). Why not? For example, Neil Geiman did it. In American Gods book. [/quote] I don't know about the Celtic tattoos, but in the case of the headdresses, it's more on par with a military decoration, and that's kind of a weird thing to turn into a costume, like wearing a Medal of Honor. Also, the US has had a pretty long problem with just lumping all Native American cultures into one "Indian" category and usually using that to portray them as uncultured savages, and the "eh, just put some feathers on 'em, all Indians wore feathers, right?" mindset was a huge part of that (c'mon, we've all seen Disney's Peter Pan, yeah? That stuff was still going on in the fifties, for pity's sake, if not longer). (In terms of tattoos, I know Maori will get upset if people gank their tattoo designs, because the designs are specific to the family.) Gaiman's always been pretty good about using mythology from multiple sources and doing his research, which I think makes a big difference. There will always be some weird folks saying that Taco Bell is appropriation, but then, there's still a national sports team in the US whose official name is a slang referring to a bounty on a dead Native American, so...yeah. Thing is, folks in the US always look kind of over-sensitive in regards to race, but that's because pretty much our entire (fairly short) history has been one giant mess of race relations, and not just between two or three groups, but between dozens, and there's still a lot of underlying racism (or sometimes just straight up overt racism). I dunno, the banned names thing is a bit annoying, but not enough for me to really wring my hands over it and worry that they're a'comin' for all my fun names. If I learned anything in college, it's that having guidelines to circumvent can make it more fun/challenging...although it's not like Dom pushes need to be more challenging. (But then, it never did occur to me to name a derg Sacrifice, which is, I have to admit, kinda cool.) Kind of do agree that basic dictionary words should be ok, but "Dead" does seem a little ...meanspirited? Eh, I dunno. Like maybe people who don't like it are "offended." Or maybe it's just that they signed onto a game with rules that said "This isn't about death" and other people want to make it about death? Actually, wait, can you name a dragon Death? Because that would be cool. Also didn't know that there used to be Nagas. The Serthis, I'm guessing? (Serthises? Serthisi?) I feel like there was some old dA drama about an artist making stories about "Nagas" that looked like that, but mythologically nagas were different (more snake than person). Eh, either way, that's odd.
Coalescency wrote on 2014-09-24 08:47:10:
@Ismaiel I guess the coons part is a slur of some sort. So whenever you want to say that breed of cat it looks like your swearing Not that it comes up often but Maine **** cats are awesome!

Not sure if anyone answered this after page 6, but yeah, that's a racial slur in the South US towards African Americans. It's a pretty bad one, though not as common or on par with the n-word. It's mostly a rural thing, and I've never heard it said without a lot of vitriol and hatred behind it (in reference to people, not racoons), as opposed to other slurs, which are more of Things Your Racist Grandma Says Because She Doesn't Know It's Racist.
Lae wrote on 2014-09-24 11:42:22:
Not everyone in tumblr is crazy about social justice. But some people still think no one can wear Native American headdress or make celtic tattoos not being Indian or Celtic themselves (or, I dunno, having a paper signed with Celtic represenatatives?) Oh my. I will be happy if someone wanted to use Russian or Ukrainian mythology (we have one! It's big!). Why not? For example, Neil Geiman did it. In American Gods book.

I don't know about the Celtic tattoos, but in the case of the headdresses, it's more on par with a military decoration, and that's kind of a weird thing to turn into a costume, like wearing a Medal of Honor. Also, the US has had a pretty long problem with just lumping all Native American cultures into one "Indian" category and usually using that to portray them as uncultured savages, and the "eh, just put some feathers on 'em, all Indians wore feathers, right?" mindset was a huge part of that (c'mon, we've all seen Disney's Peter Pan, yeah? That stuff was still going on in the fifties, for pity's sake, if not longer).
(In terms of tattoos, I know Maori will get upset if people gank their tattoo designs, because the designs are specific to the family.)

Gaiman's always been pretty good about using mythology from multiple sources and doing his research, which I think makes a big difference. There will always be some weird folks saying that Taco Bell is appropriation, but then, there's still a national sports team in the US whose official name is a slang referring to a bounty on a dead Native American, so...yeah.

Thing is, folks in the US always look kind of over-sensitive in regards to race, but that's because pretty much our entire (fairly short) history has been one giant mess of race relations, and not just between two or three groups, but between dozens, and there's still a lot of underlying racism (or sometimes just straight up overt racism).

I dunno, the banned names thing is a bit annoying, but not enough for me to really wring my hands over it and worry that they're a'comin' for all my fun names. If I learned anything in college, it's that having guidelines to circumvent can make it more fun/challenging...although it's not like Dom pushes need to be more challenging. (But then, it never did occur to me to name a derg Sacrifice, which is, I have to admit, kinda cool.) Kind of do agree that basic dictionary words should be ok, but "Dead" does seem a little ...meanspirited? Eh, I dunno. Like maybe people who don't like it are "offended." Or maybe it's just that they signed onto a game with rules that said "This isn't about death" and other people want to make it about death?

Actually, wait, can you name a dragon Death? Because that would be cool.

Also didn't know that there used to be Nagas. The Serthis, I'm guessing? (Serthises? Serthisi?) I feel like there was some old dA drama about an artist making stories about "Nagas" that looked like that, but mythologically nagas were different (more snake than person). Eh, either way, that's odd.
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19