Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Survey: Retirement of Holiday Familiars
1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 52 53
Where in that quote does it say I am voting against the idea because people annoyed me and I don't want them to get items?

A. I am not annoyed, I am disappointed.
B. I have yet to vote.
C. I did not want to be seen supporting anything but Undels actual topic.

Thank you for clearly backing up my point on the lack of basic reading comprehension in this thread though. And I am still loath to support people who are arguing the wrong point.
Sprite discussion should have its own thread to stop the derailment of the issue at hand, that of the upcoming festival familiars.

EDIT: To clear up any further misunderstanding I am now on the fence about retiring the upcoming familiars purely because of the mass entitlement in this thread. Not because I wish to favour new players or "punish" people.
Where in that quote does it say I am voting against the idea because people annoyed me and I don't want them to get items?

A. I am not annoyed, I am disappointed.
B. I have yet to vote.
C. I did not want to be seen supporting anything but Undels actual topic.

Thank you for clearly backing up my point on the lack of basic reading comprehension in this thread though. And I am still loath to support people who are arguing the wrong point.
Sprite discussion should have its own thread to stop the derailment of the issue at hand, that of the upcoming festival familiars.

EDIT: To clear up any further misunderstanding I am now on the fence about retiring the upcoming familiars purely because of the mass entitlement in this thread. Not because I wish to favour new players or "punish" people.
XsyYMAb.png5cx1lc.jpgtumblr_nre81rYTi11unlpe2o1_100.png5cx1lc.jpgXsyYMAb.png
@Lizeron [quote name="Lizeron" date="2014-06-17 23:00:57"]Alot of games had retired items in the past. I think that this game gives alot of charm and motive for players to keep playing.[/quote] In what way does "item you will never be able to afford" add to charm and motivation? [quote] The new set of familiars will be there for those that joined right now. As you said, think about this in a few years' time. I also haven't been playing alot and missed around 7 out of the 11 festivities (3 out of which I wasn't a member) and I still got all of them. I even bought all the gift familiars that are retired, I only miss boolean and the kickstarters. [/quote] Could you get those festival familiars if you were starting now, instead of several months ago? Would you be able to get them a year from now? More importantly: would it be a reasonable and fun amount of time to spend on an online game, instead of an obsession-level grind for weeks on end for each of them? [quote]The game is like this and so far it has been working per-fe-ctly.[/quote] I suggest that it may work perfectly for you; it obviously does not work perfectly for many players. 3/4 of the people who've seen this thread apparently disagree with you. You are saying "I like the way it is now and therefore it should not change." A vote for "no change" is reasonable. A statement that implies the people who want change are somehow playing the game wrong or misunderstanding it, is not. [quote] Why should it change for the sake of new players? Why shouldn't the new players get adjusted to the game and it has to be the other way around? [/quote] Because the new players bring in new money and new ad hits. If the admins want them to join, and want them to stick around, they'll have to consider their interests. If the policy is "the game will run on rules that are comfortable for longstanding players, no matter how much that bothers newbies," the newbies will leave. This is, very much, about pandering to the will of the majority. It is balancing how many existing players will quit in annoyance if the sprites for next year aren't as exclusive as the past ones, versus how many new players will continue playing, or play more hours, if those are more available. [quote]Sorry if I seem annoyed, but I am quite angry. A poll like this would prove nothing at all.[/quote] It proves that a whole lot of people don't like permanently retired familiars. If the majority of the playerbase would like a change in policy, the devs should seriously consider that. They shouldn't automatically grant it--the majority would probably like exalt payouts to be tripled, but that doesn't mean the devs should blithely change the whole economy of the game. A thread like this lets the devs see all the potential nuances of the proposed change--what's likely to happen as a side effect, which aspects will bother people vs which aspects will get them excited and keep them playing longer. The only argument I've seen for keeping the future familiars limited is "players who are around that week should be able to get super-special items that newcomers have to pay through the nose to get." I'm beginning to think that each wave of registrations should include a free special familiar and some apparel only given out to people who sign up during that reg window, to help balance out the oldtimer advantages.
@Lizeron
Lizeron wrote on 2014-06-17 23:00:57:
Alot of games had retired items in the past. I think that this game gives alot of charm and motive for players to keep playing.

In what way does "item you will never be able to afford" add to charm and motivation?
Quote:
The new set of familiars will be there for those that joined right now. As you said, think about this in a few years' time. I also haven't been playing alot and missed around 7 out of the 11 festivities (3 out of which I wasn't a member) and I still got all of them. I even bought all the gift familiars that are retired, I only miss boolean and the kickstarters.

Could you get those festival familiars if you were starting now, instead of several months ago? Would you be able to get them a year from now? More importantly: would it be a reasonable and fun amount of time to spend on an online game, instead of an obsession-level grind for weeks on end for each of them?
Quote:
The game is like this and so far it has been working per-fe-ctly.

I suggest that it may work perfectly for you; it obviously does not work perfectly for many players. 3/4 of the people who've seen this thread apparently disagree with you. You are saying "I like the way it is now and therefore it should not change." A vote for "no change" is reasonable. A statement that implies the people who want change are somehow playing the game wrong or misunderstanding it, is not.
Quote:
Why should it change for the sake of new players? Why shouldn't the new players get adjusted to the game and it has to be the other way around?

Because the new players bring in new money and new ad hits. If the admins want them to join, and want them to stick around, they'll have to consider their interests. If the policy is "the game will run on rules that are comfortable for longstanding players, no matter how much that bothers newbies," the newbies will leave.

This is, very much, about pandering to the will of the majority. It is balancing how many existing players will quit in annoyance if the sprites for next year aren't as exclusive as the past ones, versus how many new players will continue playing, or play more hours, if those are more available.
Quote:
Sorry if I seem annoyed, but I am quite angry. A poll like this would prove nothing at all.

It proves that a whole lot of people don't like permanently retired familiars. If the majority of the playerbase would like a change in policy, the devs should seriously consider that.

They shouldn't automatically grant it--the majority would probably like exalt payouts to be tripled, but that doesn't mean the devs should blithely change the whole economy of the game. A thread like this lets the devs see all the potential nuances of the proposed change--what's likely to happen as a side effect, which aspects will bother people vs which aspects will get them excited and keep them playing longer.

The only argument I've seen for keeping the future familiars limited is "players who are around that week should be able to get super-special items that newcomers have to pay through the nose to get."

I'm beginning to think that each wave of registrations should include a free special familiar and some apparel only given out to people who sign up during that reg window, to help balance out the oldtimer advantages.
dragonilluminaticonfirmed.gif
i voted for permanent retirement.
yes, older members should get advantages... i see nothing wrong with that? they're loyalty perks, basically. i'm going to use neopets as an example here, because while the staff are ban-happy you can't deny that the game aspect is quite well-developed and fun: neopets has a TON of stuff that only old members can have. old avatars, trophies from long-gone plots, special profile shields depending on how long you have been around, and even special perks (such as the almost abandoned attic) for people who have been there a long time. nobody says 're-release those old avatars!', even though people on neopets are obsessed with getting them.

new players will get advantages over those that join after them, too. a new player who appears during a festival and gets, say, a water sprite has an advantage over players who join after that festival, and i see nothing wrong with that at all. games where old, once-valuable items can just be tossed around freely are boring and unfun imo.

i'm not into collecting, i find it boring, but i do think there's no fun in collecting if everything you want is right there.

i realize that it won't be as easy as 'click and you get this old retired familiar', but there's something incredibly tacky about giving players new june familiars in december.
i voted for permanent retirement.
yes, older members should get advantages... i see nothing wrong with that? they're loyalty perks, basically. i'm going to use neopets as an example here, because while the staff are ban-happy you can't deny that the game aspect is quite well-developed and fun: neopets has a TON of stuff that only old members can have. old avatars, trophies from long-gone plots, special profile shields depending on how long you have been around, and even special perks (such as the almost abandoned attic) for people who have been there a long time. nobody says 're-release those old avatars!', even though people on neopets are obsessed with getting them.

new players will get advantages over those that join after them, too. a new player who appears during a festival and gets, say, a water sprite has an advantage over players who join after that festival, and i see nothing wrong with that at all. games where old, once-valuable items can just be tossed around freely are boring and unfun imo.

i'm not into collecting, i find it boring, but i do think there's no fun in collecting if everything you want is right there.

i realize that it won't be as easy as 'click and you get this old retired familiar', but there's something incredibly tacky about giving players new june familiars in december.
gApsQ4I.png
[quote name="ErisLordFreedom" date="2014-06-18 09:14:07"] I'm beginning to think that each wave of registrations should include a free special familiar and some apparel only given out to people who sign up during that reg window, to help balance out the oldtimer advantages.[/quote] I'd be all for that if they couldn't be sold or traded. Otherwise the oldbies would just take advantage of newbies and every registration buy them all up and the newbies would be back to square one.
ErisLordFreedom wrote on 2014-06-18 09:14:07:
I'm beginning to think that each wave of registrations should include a free special familiar and some apparel only given out to people who sign up during that reg window, to help balance out the oldtimer advantages.
I'd be all for that if they couldn't be sold or traded.
Otherwise the oldbies would just take advantage of newbies and every registration buy them all up and the newbies would be back to square one.
XsyYMAb.png5cx1lc.jpgtumblr_nre81rYTi11unlpe2o1_100.png5cx1lc.jpgXsyYMAb.png
@ErisLordFreedom

You do get that the new changes won't apply to the sprites at all, right? It will be for the new set of familiars and the light sprite, fire sprite, lightning sprite, plague sprite and earth sprite will only keep getting higher. The changes you suggest won't cover the holes that these sprites are for new players.

The poll can't prove anything because the questions are wrong and missleading. First and foremost, the poll doesn't include the sprites (alot of players are arguing with the sprites in mind). And as the community grows, the people who will want the retired familiars to return will be a majority.

This game is a browser one and a very well done one. The retired familiars won't change anything to your actual bestiary and while the those retired familars will keep increasing in value, you have a chance to get the new ones that are going to be retired.

And I agree the only arguement I've seen so far supporting the familiars not getting retired is 'Boohoo, I have to work harder for getting that super special awesome limited item, that's unfair because I didn't know of this site 1 year ago'.
@ErisLordFreedom

You do get that the new changes won't apply to the sprites at all, right? It will be for the new set of familiars and the light sprite, fire sprite, lightning sprite, plague sprite and earth sprite will only keep getting higher. The changes you suggest won't cover the holes that these sprites are for new players.

The poll can't prove anything because the questions are wrong and missleading. First and foremost, the poll doesn't include the sprites (alot of players are arguing with the sprites in mind). And as the community grows, the people who will want the retired familiars to return will be a majority.

This game is a browser one and a very well done one. The retired familiars won't change anything to your actual bestiary and while the those retired familars will keep increasing in value, you have a chance to get the new ones that are going to be retired.

And I agree the only arguement I've seen so far supporting the familiars not getting retired is 'Boohoo, I have to work harder for getting that super special awesome limited item, that's unfair because I didn't know of this site 1 year ago'.
@Lizeron: The admins are not talking about the sprites at all; they are talking about the new familiars that are for [b]this new year[/b]. [quote]The poll can't prove anything because the questions are wrong and missleading. First and foremost, the poll doesn't include the sprites (alot of players are arguing with the sprites in mind). And as the community grows, the people who will want the retired familiars to return will be a majority.[/quote] It's proving people don't like limited items. And though familiars don't interest me, I would like something that does help the general audience of the game collect things, because the general audience = pageviews = revenue.
@Lizeron: The admins are not talking about the sprites at all; they are talking about the new familiars that are for this new year.
Quote:

It's proving people don't like limited items. And though familiars don't interest me, I would like something that does help the general audience of the game collect things, because the general audience = pageviews = revenue.
@ Pokemon

it only proves people don't like limited items they can't have*
@ Pokemon

it only proves people don't like limited items they can't have*
Here's a crazy idea.

Stop attacking other people for their opinions and just vote for whichever you want.

Want familiars to stay retired? Cool. Want the other option? Cool.

Just quit bickering about it. Both opinions are valid.
Here's a crazy idea.

Stop attacking other people for their opinions and just vote for whichever you want.

Want familiars to stay retired? Cool. Want the other option? Cool.

Just quit bickering about it. Both opinions are valid.
rotyou_zpsdd94a7ce.jpg
I don't know, I think they've been quite civil so far. It is a discussion. This topic was created so that people could voice their opinions and express their feelings regarding the possible retirement of holiday familiars (or non-retirement). Both parties have brought up valid points. I, for one, enjoy reading what they have to say. These are all things we should be considering.

But if you have nothing nice to say, yeah, you should probably just vote for whichever option you want and stay out of the discussion.
I don't know, I think they've been quite civil so far. It is a discussion. This topic was created so that people could voice their opinions and express their feelings regarding the possible retirement of holiday familiars (or non-retirement). Both parties have brought up valid points. I, for one, enjoy reading what they have to say. These are all things we should be considering.

But if you have nothing nice to say, yeah, you should probably just vote for whichever option you want and stay out of the discussion.
I just didn't understand why it would only be next year's familiars and not a chance at all if the retired festival skins familiar and apparel.

I am a member on a website called chicken smoothie, and ever year for their December advent calendar, they take one day to allow you to have a chance at adopting the oldest rarest pets on the site. Most people just get some random not that rare pets, but some super lucky people get rare pets and it's awesome c: maybe we could do something like this?
I just didn't understand why it would only be next year's familiars and not a chance at all if the retired festival skins familiar and apparel.

I am a member on a website called chicken smoothie, and ever year for their December advent calendar, they take one day to allow you to have a chance at adopting the oldest rarest pets on the site. Most people just get some random not that rare pets, but some super lucky people get rare pets and it's awesome c: maybe we could do something like this?
tumblr_inline_nbhuimwgTs1qg78ij.png
1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 52 53