Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | 250 GEM PRIZE!! Drawing contest!!
1 2 3 4
[quote name="Almedha" date="2020-12-05 18:42:47" ] What do you do with the art that doesn't win? [/quote] i would love to know too. op, are you trying to get a lot of art for next to nothing? if youre looking for detailed (and/or colored) sketches, those are worth more than 250g... and only one artist will win...
Almedha wrote on 2020-12-05 18:42:47:
What do you do with the art that doesn't win?
i would love to know too. op, are you trying to get a lot of art for next to nothing? if youre looking for detailed (and/or colored) sketches, those are worth more than 250g... and only one artist will win...
rPflwkH.png
[quote name="Kinged" date="2020-12-05 19:24:39" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2020-12-05 18:42:47" ] What do you do with the art that doesn't win? [/quote] i would love to know too. op, are you trying to get a lot of art for next to nothing? if youre looking for detailed (and/or colored) sketches, those are worth more than 250g... and only one artist will win... [/quote] seconding these two. if you just want to get some quality art, i suggest the art sales forum. otherwise, you're essentially fishing for free art.
Kinged wrote on 2020-12-05 19:24:39:
Almedha wrote on 2020-12-05 18:42:47:
What do you do with the art that doesn't win?
i would love to know too. op, are you trying to get a lot of art for next to nothing? if youre looking for detailed (and/or colored) sketches, those are worth more than 250g... and only one artist will win...

seconding these two. if you just want to get some quality art, i suggest the art sales forum. otherwise, you're essentially fishing for free art.
a8byJKr.gif
Please don't take this the wrong way, but isn't 250g kind of low for a prize like this? That's equivalent to $2.50 USD, which isn't a lot, especially if you're expecting colour and shading. Most artists charge more than twice that for a flat drawing (and that's a low estimate if I'm being honest). And since this is a contest with presumably one winner, you're asking artists to spend valuable time for a chance at winning less than their work is worth. Meaning that most will end up getting nothing at all for their efforts, while you still get all the art.

I'm sure you just didn't think about this, so I hope you don't take this personally. I only bring it up because I would hate for you to unintentionally take advantage of any young artists who possibly don't fully understand the value of their own work. With that in mind, perhaps you could consider raising the prize value? Either with more gems/treasure, or in game items that are worth something. I think that would make it more fair that way, and you may even get more people entering with a better prize, so it's good for everyone really. Or if not, maybe at least remove the part of your post where you say you're expecting colours and shading/high detail? A sketch contest might be more suitable for a lower prize like this.

I hope I haven't offended you with this post, I only mean this to be educational, and I hope in the future you will consider how much time and effort goes into making art before starting a contest like this. I recommend having a look at how much people usually charge on the Art Sales forum to get an idea.

Edit: I forgot I was also going to say, to any artists who may be thinking about entering this contest: don't feel bad, and it's fine if you still want to just for fun or you want to draw the OP's dragons. Just please don't undersell yourself, and remember that your time and effort is worth more that $2.50 no matter what your skill level.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but isn't 250g kind of low for a prize like this? That's equivalent to $2.50 USD, which isn't a lot, especially if you're expecting colour and shading. Most artists charge more than twice that for a flat drawing (and that's a low estimate if I'm being honest). And since this is a contest with presumably one winner, you're asking artists to spend valuable time for a chance at winning less than their work is worth. Meaning that most will end up getting nothing at all for their efforts, while you still get all the art.

I'm sure you just didn't think about this, so I hope you don't take this personally. I only bring it up because I would hate for you to unintentionally take advantage of any young artists who possibly don't fully understand the value of their own work. With that in mind, perhaps you could consider raising the prize value? Either with more gems/treasure, or in game items that are worth something. I think that would make it more fair that way, and you may even get more people entering with a better prize, so it's good for everyone really. Or if not, maybe at least remove the part of your post where you say you're expecting colours and shading/high detail? A sketch contest might be more suitable for a lower prize like this.

I hope I haven't offended you with this post, I only mean this to be educational, and I hope in the future you will consider how much time and effort goes into making art before starting a contest like this. I recommend having a look at how much people usually charge on the Art Sales forum to get an idea.

Edit: I forgot I was also going to say, to any artists who may be thinking about entering this contest: don't feel bad, and it's fine if you still want to just for fun or you want to draw the OP's dragons. Just please don't undersell yourself, and remember that your time and effort is worth more that $2.50 no matter what your skill level.
3sBLd.gif?5g6Xz=party.png
@Kinged
@ridill
@gayrurumon

I'm so sorry, I never meant to make it seem like I was fishing for art. I genuinely love seeing what people draw, and I love hosting contests. I was only doing this for fun, and as a means to get people to tap into their creative side. I can remove the detail where I'm expecting higher detailed drawings, as I genuinely didn't know average prices, I was just going based off what I commissioned someone else to do (Which was 85g)

I really do appreciate the concern and the information. Regarding what I was going to do with the other art, I was planning on messaging the original artists for their consent to put it in the bio of whatever dragon they drew. I wouldn't do it if they said no, as it's THEIR creation. I've had my experience with art stealing in the past, I wouldn't dare do that to another person.
@Kinged
@ridill
@gayrurumon

I'm so sorry, I never meant to make it seem like I was fishing for art. I genuinely love seeing what people draw, and I love hosting contests. I was only doing this for fun, and as a means to get people to tap into their creative side. I can remove the detail where I'm expecting higher detailed drawings, as I genuinely didn't know average prices, I was just going based off what I commissioned someone else to do (Which was 85g)

I really do appreciate the concern and the information. Regarding what I was going to do with the other art, I was planning on messaging the original artists for their consent to put it in the bio of whatever dragon they drew. I wouldn't do it if they said no, as it's THEIR creation. I've had my experience with art stealing in the past, I wouldn't dare do that to another person.
UqN4jFQ.png
aaa, okay!! thank you for the clarification, i was just worried cause its already hard for artists to sell their art on this site (unless they've gotten really popular), so i didnt want the artists to be undervalued. seeing as its all for fun, i figured it wasnt entirely worrying since anyone can enter if they wanted to. but if you ever do this next time, i definitely recommend to raise the prize!

anyways, i hope it goes well and the artists have fun ^^
aaa, okay!! thank you for the clarification, i was just worried cause its already hard for artists to sell their art on this site (unless they've gotten really popular), so i didnt want the artists to be undervalued. seeing as its all for fun, i figured it wasnt entirely worrying since anyone can enter if they wanted to. but if you ever do this next time, i definitely recommend to raise the prize!

anyways, i hope it goes well and the artists have fun ^^
rPflwkH.png
@Opalara Thank you for listening to the concerns of myself and others. I have confidence that you meant well, and your willingness to take feedback on board is reassuring. There's more I could say on the of how our society values art in general and how art contests play into that, but that's a wider issue that's not your fault and this probably isn't the place for that discussion anyway haha. As long as everyone involved is on the same page about this being just for fun, then it's all good. I hope everyone enjoys themselves, and I hope you have a pleasant day/evening [emoji=tundra happy size=2]
@Opalara Thank you for listening to the concerns of myself and others. I have confidence that you meant well, and your willingness to take feedback on board is reassuring. There's more I could say on the of how our society values art in general and how art contests play into that, but that's a wider issue that's not your fault and this probably isn't the place for that discussion anyway haha. As long as everyone involved is on the same page about this being just for fun, then it's all good. I hope everyone enjoys themselves, and I hope you have a pleasant day/evening
3sBLd.gif?5g6Xz=party.png
@gayrurumon
@Kinged

Thank you both for actually providing me with this information as, again, I wasn't too certain of the prices and only did this for fun. I definitely will raise the price next time I host one of these because you're right, everyone who makes art and is passionate about it deserves as much as they can get.
@gayrurumon
@Kinged

Thank you both for actually providing me with this information as, again, I wasn't too certain of the prices and only did this for fun. I definitely will raise the price next time I host one of these because you're right, everyone who makes art and is passionate about it deserves as much as they can get.
UqN4jFQ.png
bump
bump
UqN4jFQ.png
bump
bump
UqN4jFQ.png
@Opalara [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/56348593][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/563486/56348593_350.png[/img][/url] I would like to draw this one. And just for gags, are you cool with me drawing her with a pop tart in her mouth, or nah? EDIT: Here be my submission! [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/768467711353028608/787087602456199289/Poptart_Contest_Art_Submission.png[/img]
@Opalara

56348593_350.png
I would like to draw this one. And just for gags, are you cool with me drawing her with a pop tart in her mouth, or nah?

EDIT: Here be my submission!
Poptart_Contest_Art_Submission.png
1 2 3 4