Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | 250 GEM PRIZE!! Drawing contest!!
1 2 3 4
Normally I wouldn't do this, but I saw this thread bumped while puttering around the forums/doing my dailies and I'm going to try and make this a teaching moment, but I'm gonna be blunt about it. Let's rip off the bandaid.

Regardless of your intents, OP @Opalara (and I'm pretty sure you did mean well here), his is functionally identical to spec work-- an incredibly pervasive and predatory practice frowned upon in the art field-- and the fact that you're posting it in a forum full of young and possibly over-eager users fitting the exact demographic it tends to seek work from is a bad look.

Never mind that 250 gems is an absolutely meager amount of money equivalence (I work for 3kG per hour when I do take work here-- to give perspective, the prize being offered, not guaranteed here, would literally fund about six minutes of my drawing time), it's not even guaranteed to anyone who submits their work for your scrutiny. If you'd like art of your dragons, please do seek out some artists and pay them all fairly for their time.

And to anyone reading this thread, I know it's been said before, but your time and effort are worthy of more than a possible payout of any kind. Spec work preys specifically on people's excitement and passion for things they enjoy. Don't let yourself be taken advantage of because you love something.
Normally I wouldn't do this, but I saw this thread bumped while puttering around the forums/doing my dailies and I'm going to try and make this a teaching moment, but I'm gonna be blunt about it. Let's rip off the bandaid.

Regardless of your intents, OP @Opalara (and I'm pretty sure you did mean well here), his is functionally identical to spec work-- an incredibly pervasive and predatory practice frowned upon in the art field-- and the fact that you're posting it in a forum full of young and possibly over-eager users fitting the exact demographic it tends to seek work from is a bad look.

Never mind that 250 gems is an absolutely meager amount of money equivalence (I work for 3kG per hour when I do take work here-- to give perspective, the prize being offered, not guaranteed here, would literally fund about six minutes of my drawing time), it's not even guaranteed to anyone who submits their work for your scrutiny. If you'd like art of your dragons, please do seek out some artists and pay them all fairly for their time.

And to anyone reading this thread, I know it's been said before, but your time and effort are worthy of more than a possible payout of any kind. Spec work preys specifically on people's excitement and passion for things they enjoy. Don't let yourself be taken advantage of because you love something.
@Hanmonster

I understand your concern on this, and have already spoken to two people prior. After this contest (Which I only did for fun, and had no idea of the proper prices of art prior) I will definitely see to it that I learn about proper art prices on this website if I ever wish to host another contest in the future.

I started this contest purely for the intent of having fun and letting artists join IF THEY WANTED TO. I never meant any harm to come from this at all, and I sincerely apologize I wasn't familiar with prices beforehand. I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone, and I would take this contest down due to me not understanding if it weren't for the fact people have already joined and are most likely working on their drawings. This far in, it would be rude to have them complete the drawing only for the fourm post to be gone.

Again, I really am sorry that I'm being really cheap compared to all the amazing artists on this website. Every art creator deserves all they can get for their efforts.
@Hanmonster

I understand your concern on this, and have already spoken to two people prior. After this contest (Which I only did for fun, and had no idea of the proper prices of art prior) I will definitely see to it that I learn about proper art prices on this website if I ever wish to host another contest in the future.

I started this contest purely for the intent of having fun and letting artists join IF THEY WANTED TO. I never meant any harm to come from this at all, and I sincerely apologize I wasn't familiar with prices beforehand. I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone, and I would take this contest down due to me not understanding if it weren't for the fact people have already joined and are most likely working on their drawings. This far in, it would be rude to have them complete the drawing only for the fourm post to be gone.

Again, I really am sorry that I'm being really cheap compared to all the amazing artists on this website. Every art creator deserves all they can get for their efforts.
UqN4jFQ.png
@AmeliaSageglow

You can do whatever you'd like, but it would be kinda funny to see that!
@AmeliaSageglow

You can do whatever you'd like, but it would be kinda funny to see that!
UqN4jFQ.png
@Opalara
I just realized, I don't know how to post art on flight rising. How do you do that?
@Opalara
I just realized, I don't know how to post art on flight rising. How do you do that?
maGaaTX.png
@Noodleydoo

If you make an account on Imjur and post the image on there, you can right click the image after its posted to open a new tab, and then copy the URL of that new tab, then insert into FR.
@Noodleydoo

If you make an account on Imjur and post the image on there, you can right click the image after its posted to open a new tab, and then copy the URL of that new tab, then insert into FR.
UqN4jFQ.png
Thank you!
Thank you!
maGaaTX.png
@Opalara

Alrighty, can do! Also, do you have a link to where we can post the art one we've finished?
@Opalara

Alrighty, can do! Also, do you have a link to where we can post the art one we've finished?
@AmeliaSageglow

Just edit your post and put the art underneath the dragon :>
@AmeliaSageglow

Just edit your post and put the art underneath the dragon :>
UqN4jFQ.png
@Opalara

Oki can do!
@Opalara

Oki can do!
@Opalara I would luv to draw dis boi!! [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/54544758][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/545448/54544758_350.png[/img][/url]
@Opalara I would luv to draw dis boi!!
54544758_350.png
1 2 3 4