Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | Copper Cave Subspecies Hub
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
@MythicalMemeLord
I love when new genes come out. I love scrying new possibilities! But, subspecies do have rules to keep it an organized and valid, beautiful community with lore to match.

Like a new gene but it doesn't fit the lore? Then it's just not going to be a part of the subspecies, that's all. (I'm all for sub-subspecies and don't want to bash anyone, I just think certain things are sacred and we shouldn't try to change the main lore because "this gene looks pretty".)

Personally, I love jaguar, but it doesn't fit, so I'm not going to campaign otherwise.

However, I would love to see a subset of this subspecies with a wider wing color range, as they could be related to various gems, crystals, and metals, similar to opal.
If your dragon can be covered in crystal, why not the wings covered in, say, amethyst, ruby, citrine, or emerald? ;)
@MythicalMemeLord
I love when new genes come out. I love scrying new possibilities! But, subspecies do have rules to keep it an organized and valid, beautiful community with lore to match.

Like a new gene but it doesn't fit the lore? Then it's just not going to be a part of the subspecies, that's all. (I'm all for sub-subspecies and don't want to bash anyone, I just think certain things are sacred and we shouldn't try to change the main lore because "this gene looks pretty".)

Personally, I love jaguar, but it doesn't fit, so I'm not going to campaign otherwise.

However, I would love to see a subset of this subspecies with a wider wing color range, as they could be related to various gems, crystals, and metals, similar to opal.
If your dragon can be covered in crystal, why not the wings covered in, say, amethyst, ruby, citrine, or emerald? ;)
Jyxxie
rhymes with pixie
she/her
FR+3
oSZNbp8.pngjIWpSOe.pngpjfb43o.pngxKESsDQ.pngH4J6gu2.png5G1dR62.png
lBxYxId.png
@ItsThirteen @mythicalmemelord my argument for metallic and wasp would eventually be the same, actually. Metallic yes, does not have the jump in your face kind of brightness as glowing things (I love clown for the glow, and tap/stria and smirch). @jyxxie I too love Jaguar! But it will never fit. Not with the glowy-ness, at least. So about wasp, I still find it very smooth. I get that there's a glow, but the smoothness is the part that concerns me, same with Metallic. The consideration is really if it's possible [b]and [/b]plausible to work something believable into the lore, e.g. copper caves that live in the Fire region and adapt, showing signs of molten lava alongside copper, or as below: [quote name="Jyxxie" date="2018-03-30 06:00:06" ] However, I would love to see a subset of this subspecies with a wider wing color range, as they could be related to various gems, crystals, and metals, similar to opal. If your dragon can be covered in crystal, why not the wings covered in, say, amethyst, ruby, citrine, or emerald? ;) [/quote] Wings covered in other colours, precious-stone copper caves.
@ItsThirteen @mythicalmemelord my argument for metallic and wasp would eventually be the same, actually. Metallic yes, does not have the jump in your face kind of brightness as glowing things (I love clown for the glow, and tap/stria and smirch).

@jyxxie I too love Jaguar! But it will never fit. Not with the glowy-ness, at least.

So about wasp, I still find it very smooth. I get that there's a glow, but the smoothness is the part that concerns me, same with Metallic.

The consideration is really if it's possible and plausible to work something believable into the lore, e.g. copper caves that live in the Fire region and adapt, showing signs of molten lava alongside copper, or as below:

Jyxxie wrote on 2018-03-30 06:00:06:

Wings covered in other colours, precious-stone copper caves.

yQoJnTx.png nY73F6r.pngozXiCa6.png
@Triblobyte I think subsections of the copper cavies would be interesting, but I hesitate to say they should exist because of the limitations the original lore puts on genes. The main factor of the subsp. as I've said before is bioluminescence. So allowing certain genes would just completely contradict or negate the point of having rules for them. Metallic is a great example of this. It is nowhere near luminescent or glowing. Unless there were some good reason for a cave dweller that uses biolume. as a way to thrive in a typically dark environment, I don't think there's a use or need for it :/
@Triblobyte I think subsections of the copper cavies would be interesting, but I hesitate to say they should exist because of the limitations the original lore puts on genes. The main factor of the subsp. as I've said before is bioluminescence. So allowing certain genes would just completely contradict or negate the point of having rules for them. Metallic is a great example of this. It is nowhere near luminescent or glowing. Unless there were some good reason for a cave dweller that uses biolume. as a way to thrive in a typically dark environment, I don't think there's a use or need for it :/
@Triblobyte @MythicalMemeLord I think metallic just doesn't work. Even with a flash glowy tert, it just doesn't have that pop that resonates with the copper cave subspecies. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=94&bodygene=17&breed=13&element=3&gender=1&tert=152&tertgene=14&winggene=17&wings=94&auth=cac414ed1f46c509d0be2513c42cb45d4ad8f98d&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Whereas wasp does have sparkle and flash definitely in the underbelly area and a bit in the face, if you wanted a decent argument to add them: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=94&bodygene=20&breed=13&element=3&gender=1&tert=152&tertgene=8&winggene=20&wings=94&auth=2e103e07e43651822256836c05a0f58a4ea9cb39&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
@Triblobyte @MythicalMemeLord
I think metallic just doesn't work. Even with a flash glowy tert, it just doesn't have that pop that resonates with the copper cave subspecies.

dragon?age=1&body=94&bodygene=17&breed=13&element=3&gender=1&tert=152&tertgene=14&winggene=17&wings=94&auth=cac414ed1f46c509d0be2513c42cb45d4ad8f98d&dummyext=prev.png

Whereas wasp does have sparkle and flash definitely in the underbelly area and a bit in the face, if you wanted a decent argument to add them:

dragon?age=1&body=94&bodygene=20&breed=13&element=3&gender=1&tert=152&tertgene=8&winggene=20&wings=94&auth=2e103e07e43651822256836c05a0f58a4ea9cb39&dummyext=prev.png
Jyxxie
rhymes with pixie
she/her
FR+3
oSZNbp8.pngjIWpSOe.pngpjfb43o.pngxKESsDQ.pngH4J6gu2.png5G1dR62.png
lBxYxId.png
@MythicalMemeLord could there be a subspecies that *were* Copper Cave dragons, but they went out into the air too much and their metals got oxidised? Would that help with the reduced bioluminescence/glowing nature of some of the new genes? Just a thought :)
@MythicalMemeLord could there be a subspecies that *were* Copper Cave dragons, but they went out into the air too much and their metals got oxidised? Would that help with the reduced bioluminescence/glowing nature of some of the new genes? Just a thought :)
dfUnMqs.gif7XI1FUO.pngwE7J1TW.pngq6Eeqsk.pngdfUnMqs.gif
[/url]
@Jyxxie Wasp does look like a bit like keratin though. I've been looking at pictures of actual glowworms and struggling to see the glow in wasp. More like a sheen? I hesitate to call it a flash, tbh. Same goes with metallic, it's definitely a reflected sheen rather than glowing.

@catkinstarchild that's an interesting idea. Living too close to the surface, or perhaps corroded, worn smooth?
@Jyxxie Wasp does look like a bit like keratin though. I've been looking at pictures of actual glowworms and struggling to see the glow in wasp. More like a sheen? I hesitate to call it a flash, tbh. Same goes with metallic, it's definitely a reflected sheen rather than glowing.

@catkinstarchild that's an interesting idea. Living too close to the surface, or perhaps corroded, worn smooth?
@Mythicalmemelord enfield and I were talking about how some specific combos and colours might work as copper caves, which is how this got started. It's interesting to see what everyone's thoughts on this is!
@Mythicalmemelord enfield and I were talking about how some specific combos and colours might work as copper caves, which is how this got started. It's interesting to see what everyone's thoughts on this is!
@Jyxxie I completely agree with you. I do love when new genes come out, I think it's always fun to see how we can improve and update our existing dragons and lore for them. The problem arises when people believe genes should become part of the lore just because their new and pretty/cool, even if they don't fit with the lore at all, like filigree. It has absolutely no reason to he in CC lore bc it is simply a decorative metalwork on the body. But because it is brand new, it is being pushed as a new part of the lore.
@Jyxxie I completely agree with you. I do love when new genes come out, I think it's always fun to see how we can improve and update our existing dragons and lore for them. The problem arises when people believe genes should become part of the lore just because their new and pretty/cool, even if they don't fit with the lore at all, like filigree. It has absolutely no reason to he in CC lore bc it is simply a decorative metalwork on the body. But because it is brand new, it is being pushed as a new part of the lore.
Quick thought; what about mimics?

Dragons that are not true copper caves, but mimic them? Through use of either body-paint, false luminescence, etc.
Quick thought; what about mimics?

Dragons that are not true copper caves, but mimic them? Through use of either body-paint, false luminescence, etc.
@CatkinStarchild I really like that idea, actually! It's very creative I think, but the problem still stands that is isn't glowing :( I think maybe, for this gene to work, it would have to be paired with a luminescent secondary or tert. Otherwise it would be difficult to see in those damp dark places. Another idea I've had floating around revolves around eye color. If a dragon with certain eye colors (lightning, wind, ice?) could have glowing or night-vision properties, it might solve some problems created by not luminescent genes.
@CatkinStarchild I really like that idea, actually! It's very creative I think, but the problem still stands that is isn't glowing :( I think maybe, for this gene to work, it would have to be paired with a luminescent secondary or tert. Otherwise it would be difficult to see in those damp dark places. Another idea I've had floating around revolves around eye color. If a dragon with certain eye colors (lightning, wind, ice?) could have glowing or night-vision properties, it might solve some problems created by not luminescent genes.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16