Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | Is the Shade Still Among Us? [Closed]
1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
@Azurenight

Gloria smiled as she shook his hand.
"Thank you. It can be a bit disorientating and sudden, as one moment you're at home making pancakes and the next you're in a library with no warning or transition. Just poof. But otherwise there's no harm. Although if one wanted I'm sure it could be very harmful to some."
She smiled warmly at CursedOne who was cleaning the floor with her feathered tail much like a broom or duster.

Lindarin chuckled softly at the excitement and onslaught of questions he didn't mind answering. "I belong in the neutral or both area, although I don't think it's necessary exactly which I am. As for the others, I don't know what happened to them. Only those of us with any intelligence at all went into hiding far away from here to wait out the destruction. I don't know if they returned, or remain where they hid, or if they have perished in one way or another. But since I have yet to encounter another, I am taking on 13 apprentices. I only have 8 presently, and they are at home getting settled in. Or maybe there's 9...."
He seemed to think and frown for a moment.
"Yes, I think 9 considering your reactions earlier, you would suit well. But that can be discussed later in detail." He clapped and sat down. A deafening silence settled on everyone's ears with the exception of Dash and Lindarin, and a shroud of dark haze hid the two from view.

"This is for mine and your ears and eyes only from now on. My magic is darker in the sense it can do everything the shade is capable of, and much more when used wrongly. One might rival it to a younger deity's power, the power to destroy and create, to bend the will of nature to mine and make them the same. But I am on the extreme side of power, and I fear I might have twisted my words earlier to conceal who I am truly. And for now, I think those words must remain twisted. The real answer to this question will come later, but for now this is all I can offer."
Lindarin let magic weave deftly between his claws and tickle Dash on the nose, before forming a small plant that wove itself into Dash's fur. With a small smile from Lindarin the plant turned to dust and away.

"As for my age, I am quite young actually, in the sense of my being a coatl. But I myself in a spirit and mind sense is much much older than our current deities." He released the haze and deafness from the others, and immediately Devastation began complaining of how unfair that was and how could Lindarin do such a thing to him, etc etc. Gloria only chuckled.
"Dear Dash, I have a question. What prompted you to started studying the shade to such a degree? And Beu, or CursedOne, wishes me to tell you your work is outstanding, and she wishes she could read it all."
CursedOne smiled widely, showing her teeth which were sharp and much too even for a skydancer usually, a hint to a more carnivorous nature.

That sounds excellent! I personally love never-ending paragraphs. They can really make you think on how to progress a personality, and while writing out this post Lindarin even had a tweak to his lore and what he is exactly. A more solid reason to his extreme abilities that I think might even be a bit much for him.

And I don't mind waiting, it just means the results will be better instead of rushed.

Edit: Oh geeze this is probably the single longest post on here XD
@Azurenight

Gloria smiled as she shook his hand.
"Thank you. It can be a bit disorientating and sudden, as one moment you're at home making pancakes and the next you're in a library with no warning or transition. Just poof. But otherwise there's no harm. Although if one wanted I'm sure it could be very harmful to some."
She smiled warmly at CursedOne who was cleaning the floor with her feathered tail much like a broom or duster.

Lindarin chuckled softly at the excitement and onslaught of questions he didn't mind answering. "I belong in the neutral or both area, although I don't think it's necessary exactly which I am. As for the others, I don't know what happened to them. Only those of us with any intelligence at all went into hiding far away from here to wait out the destruction. I don't know if they returned, or remain where they hid, or if they have perished in one way or another. But since I have yet to encounter another, I am taking on 13 apprentices. I only have 8 presently, and they are at home getting settled in. Or maybe there's 9...."
He seemed to think and frown for a moment.
"Yes, I think 9 considering your reactions earlier, you would suit well. But that can be discussed later in detail." He clapped and sat down. A deafening silence settled on everyone's ears with the exception of Dash and Lindarin, and a shroud of dark haze hid the two from view.

"This is for mine and your ears and eyes only from now on. My magic is darker in the sense it can do everything the shade is capable of, and much more when used wrongly. One might rival it to a younger deity's power, the power to destroy and create, to bend the will of nature to mine and make them the same. But I am on the extreme side of power, and I fear I might have twisted my words earlier to conceal who I am truly. And for now, I think those words must remain twisted. The real answer to this question will come later, but for now this is all I can offer."
Lindarin let magic weave deftly between his claws and tickle Dash on the nose, before forming a small plant that wove itself into Dash's fur. With a small smile from Lindarin the plant turned to dust and away.

"As for my age, I am quite young actually, in the sense of my being a coatl. But I myself in a spirit and mind sense is much much older than our current deities." He released the haze and deafness from the others, and immediately Devastation began complaining of how unfair that was and how could Lindarin do such a thing to him, etc etc. Gloria only chuckled.
"Dear Dash, I have a question. What prompted you to started studying the shade to such a degree? And Beu, or CursedOne, wishes me to tell you your work is outstanding, and she wishes she could read it all."
CursedOne smiled widely, showing her teeth which were sharp and much too even for a skydancer usually, a hint to a more carnivorous nature.

That sounds excellent! I personally love never-ending paragraphs. They can really make you think on how to progress a personality, and while writing out this post Lindarin even had a tweak to his lore and what he is exactly. A more solid reason to his extreme abilities that I think might even be a bit much for him.

And I don't mind waiting, it just means the results will be better instead of rushed.

Edit: Oh geeze this is probably the single longest post on here XD
Untitled_Artwork.png
@Trekkie The host finished his notes and gently set his pen down. With a smile he turned his attention to the gaze of the Coatl Doctor. ------- [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225196/22519552p.png[/img][nextcol] "This is absolutely fascinating! I've never met an heir to the infamous Naomi before." [i]Dash eased forward until his torso was resting against his desk[/i]. "You say parasitic, can you explain more on that?" [i]At first he thought it was like most of the shade touched in the room, but something was telling him this was different[/i]. "Also, have you been able to test anything about the stone attached to him? Also, I would be very eager to write to Kieron and would very much enjoy a visit to the..." [/columns] -------- [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/262958/26295730p.png[/img][nextcol] "Not without a guardian you don't!" [i]The guardian standing in the back of the room bellowed at Dash. The Librarian rolled his eyes, though his back was towards his protector at the time. Annoyed as he was, he still conceded to the demand[/i]. [/columns] --------- [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225196/22519552p.png[/img][nextcol] "As I was saying, I and my companion," he said over his shoulder, "would love to visit your facility. Thank you." [/columns] ---------- [i]Sweet! Thank you! If you like we can set up a private RP for the visit. Though fair warning my schedule is insane and prompt responses are probably not going to be possible. Also, loving your lore, still reading. And no worries about being delayed, I understand entirely.[/i] =)
@Trekkie

The host finished his notes and gently set his pen down. With a smile he turned his attention to the gaze of the Coatl Doctor.

22519552p.png "This is absolutely fascinating! I've never met an heir to the infamous Naomi before." Dash eased forward until his torso was resting against his desk. "You say parasitic, can you explain more on that?" At first he thought it was like most of the shade touched in the room, but something was telling him this was different. "Also, have you been able to test anything about the stone attached to him? Also, I would be very eager to write to Kieron and would very much enjoy a visit to the..."

26295730p.png "Not without a guardian you don't!" The guardian standing in the back of the room bellowed at Dash. The Librarian rolled his eyes, though his back was towards his protector at the time. Annoyed as he was, he still conceded to the demand.

22519552p.png "As I was saying, I and my companion," he said over his shoulder, "would love to visit your facility. Thank you."

Sweet! Thank you! If you like we can set up a private RP for the visit. Though fair warning my schedule is insane and prompt responses are probably not going to be possible. Also, loving your lore, still reading. And no worries about being delayed, I understand entirely. =)
buffer text buffer text Tropical post card that says, Hello from The Explorer's Club.  Wish you were here
buffer text
Coming
Soon
@browncoatparadox Dash of course eagerly greeted his new guests, excited to get their information on the Shade and the other effects/creatures of the Rift in which they live. He helped Lucretia to a seat and offered both her and the good Doctor some tea. ------- [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225196/22519552p.png[/img][nextcol] "I thank you for coming." [i]He said first and foremost.[/i]"I assure you I will protect any information you offer." With that he stood and collected a leather bound journal covered in glowing white/silver runes. "I would be interested in anything you can share about your research." He turned then to the Pearlcatcher and his eyes narrowed. Sally? Why was that name familiar? After a moment of contemplation he realized where he'd heard that name before. She was the graffiti maker. His snicker was only natural, though he did try to suppress it. "What can you explain about your weird time stuff, Dr. Sally? How did you get into such a study? If you don't mind me asking?" [/columns] ------- [i]Very beautiful dragons! I really like Sally's lore =)[/i]
@browncoatparadox

Dash of course eagerly greeted his new guests, excited to get their information on the Shade and the other effects/creatures of the Rift in which they live. He helped Lucretia to a seat and offered both her and the good Doctor some tea.

22519552p.png "I thank you for coming." He said first and foremost."I assure you I will protect any information you offer." With that he stood and collected a leather bound journal covered in glowing white/silver runes. "I would be interested in anything you can share about your research." He turned then to the Pearlcatcher and his eyes narrowed. Sally? Why was that name familiar? After a moment of contemplation he realized where he'd heard that name before. She was the graffiti maker. His snicker was only natural, though he did try to suppress it. "What can you explain about your weird time stuff, Dr. Sally? How did you get into such a study? If you don't mind me asking?"

Very beautiful dragons! I really like Sally's lore =)
buffer text buffer text Tropical post card that says, Hello from The Explorer's Club.  Wish you were here
buffer text
Coming
Soon
@Azurenight

Sally leaned back slightly, tail twitching around her pearl. "Well, I sort of... fell into it. I was a physicist, but one of my experiments went wrong. From what we've been able to extrapolate, the device my team was working on managed to connect to the temporal energy of the Rift, drawing me to this time period. Now, the reason this time is so special is that there's been some sort of local spike in chaos magic. This is the sort of stuff associated with the Shade and the Rift- magic from outside the ambient magic of Sornieth, and not bound to the same energy processing system. Anyways, that spike ended up destabilizing the Rift. Now, obviously an unstable hole in space-time is going to cause some problems, and the most notable effect we've found is that it basically pulls random dragons from local timelines into this reality, in this approximate time. What made me different is that I was already studying the relationship between advanced physics, such as space-time manipulation, when I was pulled through. I ended up working with Syl to recreate and refine my machine to try more controlled temporal manipulation. As for why I was studying it before- I just like science. I'm smart, and this lets me use it in a way that helps others and also show it off to people."

Lucretia good-naturedly rolled her eyes at her companion. "And you seem to have embraced that side of yourself."

She cleared her throat, opening her journal. Unlike Wesley, she did not show the contents to anyone else, merely reading from the appropriate sections. "I used to work with a small team of dragons, studying multidimensional theory. One of the things we stumbled upon during our research was a- a rogue plane of existence, almost, devouring- absorbing- other worlds into itself. It has some level of sentience and is able to manifest shadows of beings it has consumed. It can send those shadows into the Void and into other worlds without consuming it, but if it descends on a world immense magical power is needed to repel it."

She hesitated, then continued. "Of course, Sornieth has enough ambient energy to repel it, and to ensure that it avoids this corner of the multiverse." There was a slight shift in her voice as she said this- Lucretia wasn't telling the whole truth.
@Azurenight

Sally leaned back slightly, tail twitching around her pearl. "Well, I sort of... fell into it. I was a physicist, but one of my experiments went wrong. From what we've been able to extrapolate, the device my team was working on managed to connect to the temporal energy of the Rift, drawing me to this time period. Now, the reason this time is so special is that there's been some sort of local spike in chaos magic. This is the sort of stuff associated with the Shade and the Rift- magic from outside the ambient magic of Sornieth, and not bound to the same energy processing system. Anyways, that spike ended up destabilizing the Rift. Now, obviously an unstable hole in space-time is going to cause some problems, and the most notable effect we've found is that it basically pulls random dragons from local timelines into this reality, in this approximate time. What made me different is that I was already studying the relationship between advanced physics, such as space-time manipulation, when I was pulled through. I ended up working with Syl to recreate and refine my machine to try more controlled temporal manipulation. As for why I was studying it before- I just like science. I'm smart, and this lets me use it in a way that helps others and also show it off to people."

Lucretia good-naturedly rolled her eyes at her companion. "And you seem to have embraced that side of yourself."

She cleared her throat, opening her journal. Unlike Wesley, she did not show the contents to anyone else, merely reading from the appropriate sections. "I used to work with a small team of dragons, studying multidimensional theory. One of the things we stumbled upon during our research was a- a rogue plane of existence, almost, devouring- absorbing- other worlds into itself. It has some level of sentience and is able to manifest shadows of beings it has consumed. It can send those shadows into the Void and into other worlds without consuming it, but if it descends on a world immense magical power is needed to repel it."

She hesitated, then continued. "Of course, Sornieth has enough ambient energy to repel it, and to ensure that it avoids this corner of the multiverse." There was a slight shift in her voice as she said this- Lucretia wasn't telling the whole truth.
NHCZe8E.gifnMkuik2.gifwO1H58F.gif
@ShadowPiper Dash mentally recorded what was explained to him, though the answer to his questions only seemed to inflame his curiosity more. Though, the most pressing question was why Lindarin continued to tell him 'later' and what did he mean 9th? ------- [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225196/22519552p.png[/img][nextcol] "I'm curious as to what you meant when you said 9th?" [i]Devastation interrupted with his indignity before he could get his answer, which gave time for Gloria to ask her question.[/i]"Ahh that is a long story," [i]Dash placed his head back to allow his eyes to drift off into his memory,[/i] "It started during my first Flight Study, on the Water Flight during the Wavecrest Saturnalia. I had meet this remarkable young [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30529793]Nocturne[/url] that emanated such wicked darkness, it made my flesh crawl. It was explained to me that she was Shade-touched. Now, I'd never truly believed that the Shade still existed in our world and my initial findings on the subject only corroborated my disbelief." [i]He returned his eyes to Gloria with a humored smile on his lips[/i]. "Now from there, I could have dismissed it and never gotten this far, but something said to look further. When I did, I found such evidence of it's existence that I could not deny it any longer. Being as such I knew what I had to do, the lack of information is dangerous for all life on Sorienth. That had to be remedied." [i]Dash paused to look over all of the information he'd collected thus far. So much and still it comes. He shook his head, dismissing the worried thoughts that took hold of his mind[/i]. "Listen to me prattling on. I do apologize." [i]He turned his attention then to CursedOne[/i]. "I thank you," [i]he said with a bow of his head.[/i] "You are of course welcome to any of it if you wish." [i]He pointed to a copper contraption in the corner[/i]. "I can make copies easily."[/columns] ------- [i]Woot! Okay I set up the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/rp/2360500#post_2360500]thread[/url], I'm so excited! I just have to get to writing on his normal lore to catch him up to this point =).[/i]
@ShadowPiper

Dash mentally recorded what was explained to him, though the answer to his questions only seemed to inflame his curiosity more. Though, the most pressing question was why Lindarin continued to tell him 'later' and what did he mean 9th?

22519552p.png "I'm curious as to what you meant when you said 9th?" Devastation interrupted with his indignity before he could get his answer, which gave time for Gloria to ask her question."Ahh that is a long story," Dash placed his head back to allow his eyes to drift off into his memory, "It started during my first Flight Study, on the Water Flight during the Wavecrest Saturnalia. I had meet this remarkable young Nocturne that emanated such wicked darkness, it made my flesh crawl. It was explained to me that she was Shade-touched. Now, I'd never truly believed that the Shade still existed in our world and my initial findings on the subject only corroborated my disbelief." He returned his eyes to Gloria with a humored smile on his lips. "Now from there, I could have dismissed it and never gotten this far, but something said to look further. When I did, I found such evidence of it's existence that I could not deny it any longer. Being as such I knew what I had to do, the lack of information is dangerous for all life on Sorienth. That had to be remedied." Dash paused to look over all of the information he'd collected thus far. So much and still it comes. He shook his head, dismissing the worried thoughts that took hold of his mind. "Listen to me prattling on. I do apologize." He turned his attention then to CursedOne. "I thank you," he said with a bow of his head. "You are of course welcome to any of it if you wish." He pointed to a copper contraption in the corner. "I can make copies easily."

Woot! Okay I set up the thread, I'm so excited! I just have to get to writing on his normal lore to catch him up to this point =).
buffer text
Coming
Soon
@browncoatparadox Dash jotted down every word the good Doctor shared with him. Most of it still went well beyond his own understanding, but he did pick up the reference to the Chaos magic and the reference to this time specifically being the dumping point for the poor souls sucked into the time anomalies. When Lucretia jumped in, he returned to his journal to record her statement. Her finishing comment, however, seemed a touch-- rehearsed. He turned his attention fully on her then, narrow eyes trying to pierce into the truth of her meaning. Naturally, that didn't work for him, but perhaps his questions could get to it. ------- [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225196/22519552p.png[/img][nextcol] "The spike in Chaos energy, can you explain why that would be? Or what might have caused it? And why this timeline?" [i]Dash then turned his focus onto Lucretia.[/i] "This rogue plane of existence sounds remarkably akin to the Shade. Do you suppose they could be related in some way. And are you sure we have enough energy to stay it off? If it is akin to the Shade and we know for a fact the Shade absorbs magical energy that might make us less then secure from this aberrant dimension, or from the things from it."[/columns] ------- [i] =)[/i]
@browncoatparadox

Dash jotted down every word the good Doctor shared with him. Most of it still went well beyond his own understanding, but he did pick up the reference to the Chaos magic and the reference to this time specifically being the dumping point for the poor souls sucked into the time anomalies.

When Lucretia jumped in, he returned to his journal to record her statement. Her finishing comment, however, seemed a touch-- rehearsed. He turned his attention fully on her then, narrow eyes trying to pierce into the truth of her meaning. Naturally, that didn't work for him, but perhaps his questions could get to it.

22519552p.png "The spike in Chaos energy, can you explain why that would be? Or what might have caused it? And why this timeline?" Dash then turned his focus onto Lucretia. "This rogue plane of existence sounds remarkably akin to the Shade. Do you suppose they could be related in some way. And are you sure we have enough energy to stay it off? If it is akin to the Shade and we know for a fact the Shade absorbs magical energy that might make us less then secure from this aberrant dimension, or from the things from it."

=)
buffer text
Coming
Soon
@Azurenight

CursedOne grinned and without goodbye simply up and left.
"Thank you for telling me Dash, I quite like stories, and Beu enjoyed it as well, it seems. Well, since Beu has already left, I too must take my leave. Come on Dev, Sugar wants you again."
Gloria at least said goodbye with a smile before catching up to her beloved, while Dev just groaned and teleported himself away in a huff.

"I apologize of his rudeness. Sugar believes he has a split personality, and today just so happens to be a not so good day. Hence that small window of nice you saw earlier. I can see you have many more questions to as of me, about everything and anything. If you are interested, which you so clearly are, meet me here. You will get to meet some incredible dragons who have the same questions as you, maybe slightly different." He handed him a piece of parchent carefully folded with a co-ordinates written neatly on it.
"I will be seeing you there shortly. Farewell Dash, I have others to give this note to." With a smile he left, leaving nothing behind. It was like the small group had never come in the first place, with the only evidence being in Dash's journals.

I'll let you chose whether the god Dash decides to learn and study of is good or bad to put it in simple terms, as there is seven of each and I left an open space for him to pick either or. Just let me know at some point so I can add it to Lindarin's lore, as I have all the apprentices listed there.
@Azurenight

CursedOne grinned and without goodbye simply up and left.
"Thank you for telling me Dash, I quite like stories, and Beu enjoyed it as well, it seems. Well, since Beu has already left, I too must take my leave. Come on Dev, Sugar wants you again."
Gloria at least said goodbye with a smile before catching up to her beloved, while Dev just groaned and teleported himself away in a huff.

"I apologize of his rudeness. Sugar believes he has a split personality, and today just so happens to be a not so good day. Hence that small window of nice you saw earlier. I can see you have many more questions to as of me, about everything and anything. If you are interested, which you so clearly are, meet me here. You will get to meet some incredible dragons who have the same questions as you, maybe slightly different." He handed him a piece of parchent carefully folded with a co-ordinates written neatly on it.
"I will be seeing you there shortly. Farewell Dash, I have others to give this note to." With a smile he left, leaving nothing behind. It was like the small group had never come in the first place, with the only evidence being in Dash's journals.

I'll let you chose whether the god Dash decides to learn and study of is good or bad to put it in simple terms, as there is seven of each and I left an open space for him to pick either or. Just let me know at some point so I can add it to Lindarin's lore, as I have all the apprentices listed there.
Untitled_Artwork.png
@azurenight The meeting is already going. People are talking politely. Through a window, a nauseatingly green Spiral watches curiously, her tail twitching. She fondles an amulet hiding under her various scarves and necklaces before deciding, you know, to hell with it. She's crashed more important meetings. The door slings open. Time stands still. Be-goggled and unafraid, she speaks as the dragons discussing things calmly and rationally turn to her in awkward horror. Nobody knows what to say which means she has the upper hand. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=4815706] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/48158/4815706_350.png[/img] [/url] [b]"I hear you're talking about the Shade!"[/b] she booms. Nobody is impressed. They return to talking normally. She doesn't quite care, as this is only a challenge. She needs to talk louder, more boisterous, and have the dragons hanging on her every word. [b]"My name is Shriek! I know about the Shade!"[/b] Her voice comes out in something akin to the sound an eagle would make if it was mating with the very concept of nightmares. It is impossible to ignore, so she keeps talking. Quieter, thankfully, because she knows nobody will interrupt her if it means they never have to hear that sound again. "At least in my clan. Well, it's more of a coalition of clans, but we all had to deal with it and it was, admittedly, quite nasty." She steals the host's tea and slurps it down. [i]Gone.[/i] "I'm personally of the belief that the Shade itself is gone, but residual energies have remained in its wake that are influencing Sornieth to this day. It's what causes the wildlife to mutate and become hostile, it drives beastfolk mad, and I think it's where a lot of the darker magic of the world comes from. The magic that exists outside of the elemental flights. You know, like necromancy, which I know some people would consider a branch of Shadow magic, but if it is why can any dragon use it? Hmm? "Anyway, it's my experience that for a Shade-based entity to really take form, it'd take a mage of considerable skill. And it wouldn't really be the Shade more than a [i]thing.[/i] A thing that, I don't know, is made of the same stuff but is different and not nearly as strong. Still pretty strong. But not, like, cosmic horror strong." She yanks off the amulet hidden in her necklaces and holds it up. [b][i]"And look, I have proof!"[/i][/b] Candlelight flickers and the lights blot out. The air grows colder, then hotter, then nauseating. Smoke begins to take form behind the strange Spiral, red eyes peering out of blackness. The Spiral points excitedly at it and claps. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=10090585] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/100906/10090585_350.png[/img] [/url] "See? That's not the Shade, but it only looks like a dragon! But it's made of the same stuff as the Shade. Maybe. I think. Did I win? Did I win?" She has no idea this is not a competition.
@azurenight

The meeting is already going. People are talking politely. Through a window, a nauseatingly green Spiral watches curiously, her tail twitching. She fondles an amulet hiding under her various scarves and necklaces before deciding, you know, to hell with it. She's crashed more important meetings.

The door slings open. Time stands still. Be-goggled and unafraid, she speaks as the dragons discussing things calmly and rationally turn to her in awkward horror. Nobody knows what to say which means she has the upper hand.

4815706_350.png

"I hear you're talking about the Shade!" she booms.

Nobody is impressed. They return to talking normally. She doesn't quite care, as this is only a challenge. She needs to talk louder, more boisterous, and have the dragons hanging on her every word.

"My name is Shriek! I know about the Shade!"

Her voice comes out in something akin to the sound an eagle would make if it was mating with the very concept of nightmares. It is impossible to ignore, so she keeps talking. Quieter, thankfully, because she knows nobody will interrupt her if it means they never have to hear that sound again.

"At least in my clan. Well, it's more of a coalition of clans, but we all had to deal with it and it was, admittedly, quite nasty."

She steals the host's tea and slurps it down. Gone.

"I'm personally of the belief that the Shade itself is gone, but residual energies have remained in its wake that are influencing Sornieth to this day. It's what causes the wildlife to mutate and become hostile, it drives beastfolk mad, and I think it's where a lot of the darker magic of the world comes from. The magic that exists outside of the elemental flights. You know, like necromancy, which I know some people would consider a branch of Shadow magic, but if it is why can any dragon use it? Hmm?

"Anyway, it's my experience that for a Shade-based entity to really take form, it'd take a mage of considerable skill. And it wouldn't really be the Shade more than a thing. A thing that, I don't know, is made of the same stuff but is different and not nearly as strong. Still pretty strong. But not, like, cosmic horror strong."

She yanks off the amulet hidden in her necklaces and holds it up.

"And look, I have proof!"

Candlelight flickers and the lights blot out. The air grows colder, then hotter, then nauseating. Smoke begins to take form behind the strange Spiral, red eyes peering out of blackness.

The Spiral points excitedly at it and claps.

10090585_350.png

"See? That's not the Shade, but it only looks like a dragon! But it's made of the same stuff as the Shade. Maybe. I think. Did I win? Did I win?"

She has no idea this is not a competition.
294869_900.png421497_900.png421214_900.png341914_900.png
@Kogoruhn His ears rung and in his desperation he shoved a claw deep into the canal to try and halt the the agony imposed by the shrill voice of the Spiral. It took effort to hear her tale, which went by like a whirlwind. He managed it written down, however. The fact she pointed out, about everyone being able to use this dark magic, had not been drawn to anyone's attention yet. It was a fact that excited him and added credence to a good bit of his study. On top of that, he now had a live shade specimen to examine. Needless to say, Dash was growing very excited by all the Spiral brought to the symposium. Though, when she began to ask if she'd 'won' it dampened his budding exuberance and replaced it with a good case of confusion. ------- [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225196/22519552p.png[/img][nextcol] [i]Dash tossed questioning eyes first to the Sprial and then to his mate after she took a place at his side.[/i] "Won what, Dear?" [i]he asked gently. After the question, he pushed on, dismissing the curious behavior in favor of learning something new.[/i] "This creature, can you explain how it was bound and how you are able to summon it with that medallion?"[/columns] ------- [i] Awesome drake! She's beautiful and has a remarkable lore-- and I really like her name! Thank you for bringing her to the gathering =)[/i]
@Kogoruhn

His ears rung and in his desperation he shoved a claw deep into the canal to try and halt the the agony imposed by the shrill voice of the Spiral. It took effort to hear her tale, which went by like a whirlwind. He managed it written down, however. The fact she pointed out, about everyone being able to use this dark magic, had not been drawn to anyone's attention yet. It was a fact that excited him and added credence to a good bit of his study. On top of that, he now had a live shade specimen to examine. Needless to say, Dash was growing very excited by all the Spiral brought to the symposium. Though, when she began to ask if she'd 'won' it dampened his budding exuberance and replaced it with a good case of confusion.

22519552p.png Dash tossed questioning eyes first to the Sprial and then to his mate after she took a place at his side. "Won what, Dear?" he asked gently. After the question, he pushed on, dismissing the curious behavior in favor of learning something new. "This creature, can you explain how it was bound and how you are able to summon it with that medallion?"

Awesome drake! She's beautiful and has a remarkable lore-- and I really like her name! Thank you for bringing her to the gathering =)
buffer text
Coming
Soon
@AzureKnight [i]((Ahh, thank-you!))[/i] -- Excitedly, Shriek thrusts the amulet in Dash's face, as though looking at it closer will somehow make it more clear what exactly it does. After a moment of awkward silence and confused looks, she brings it back to herself and flitters to the Not-Dragon looming behind her. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/48158/4815706p.png[/img][nextcol][size=3]The amulet came from an occultist that is dead now. I'm not entirely sure how and why he did the thing he did, and I guess we'll never know because, you know, like I said. He's very dead. Unless...[/size][/columns] She grabs the Not-Dragon by the horns and shakes her a bit. The Not-Dragon doesn't look particularly pleased by this and raises her eyes questioningly at Dash. A sigh escapes her. She just seems to want to know where Shriek is going with this. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/48158/4815706p.png[/img][nextcol][size=3]Hey, Flauros! We are so close to winning! I-I don't know what we win, but we're [i]so goddamn close![/i] So, go get Grimoire. Grimoire knows![/size][/columns] [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/100906/10090585p.png[/img][nextcol][size=3]...[/size][/columns] In a puff of black smoke, Flauros disappears, leaving an excited Shriek squirming in place. More awkward silence passes as she seems to forget the symposium exists, the host and the attendees forgotten. A stray cough catches her attention and she turns with a start, grinning. It takes a few more seconds for it to click that she should explain herself. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/48158/4815706p.png[/img][nextcol][size=3]The occultist who was controlling Flauros before is dead, but we have our own occultist. His dad is the one who helped summon Flauros in the first place, and honestly? I don't know flip about magic. I just stole it. And I guess I stole Flauros? But Grimoire will know. Grimoire...[/size][/columns] Flauros suddenly reappears and, with her, a Mirror. He is not pleased. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=4503261] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/45033/4503261_350.png[/img] [/url] Shriek grabs him and explains herself in a whirlwind that nobody seems to be able to follow. Nobody, except for the Mirror. He grimaces, glances at Dash, then walks toward the Wildclaw and pulls out a book carried at his hip. With a sigh, he drops it at the host's feet. An explosion of dust rises from where it lands. With a twist of his claw in the air, the pages begin to flip. [b]"*sigh* Okay, so Shriek says you want to know how the amulet works and how you summon something like Flauros. I can't say with absolute certainty because I'm working from second-hand notes, but my father assisted the necromancer who summoned Flauros in the first place, so I have some insight on that. If this is something that you knowing would prove useful in stopping people from being as reckless as most of the people I know... well, all the better, I guess. "The amulet is the simple part because it's all just a matter of enchantment. You can enchant most things to do any manner of things such as resisting spells, protecting against ailments and foul spirits, restoring vitality, improving charisma and intelligence and all manner of other things. Enchanting an amulet to bind and summon is pretty common fare, though it's mostly used by slavers and familiar tamers. It would probably have to be a more powerful mage to bind something so powerful, but people trap spirits and elementals all the time. It's simple. "I'll teach you sometime. "But as for teasing out the essence of the Shade from the ether? Well, these are my father's notes, and it seems as though it all rests on some reimagined Second Age incantations. You see, the Second Age civilization--whoever they may have been--didn't have the blessings of the gods and had to utilize magic from an outside source, such as other planes of existence, the natural energies that eventually gave rise to the later deities, the latent magics of the original gods, or, unknowing to them, [i]The Shade[/i]. "So, these occult incantations are neutral in origin, devised at a time where dragonkind (at least in our capacity) didn't yet walk, and are meant to be used by anyone, and some are even designed to tap into dark, cosmic magic to begin with. All it takes is a little adaptation, a little tweaking, the devising of some new sigils, and tying just enough of your own elemental magic into the mix to give you a good, solid command of what you're doing. Years upon years of research, eras in the making, and it requires quite a bit of delving into archaeological records. "Now, binding magics and forcing it into a solid form...?"[/b] He closes the book suddenly. [b]"You can't make it take certain forms. It does based on whatever it knows and sees. And binding? Sigils, protection spells. Same fare as with any sprite or elemental you summon. Standard practices."[/b] He stares at Dash and furrows his brow after a pause that lasts too long. [b]"Anything else?"[/b]
@AzureKnight

((Ahh, thank-you!))

--

Excitedly, Shriek thrusts the amulet in Dash's face, as though looking at it closer will somehow make it more clear what exactly it does. After a moment of awkward silence and confused looks, she brings it back to herself and flitters to the Not-Dragon looming behind her.

4815706p.png The amulet came from an occultist that is dead now. I'm not entirely sure how and why he did the thing he did, and I guess we'll never know because, you know, like I said. He's very dead.

Unless...

She grabs the Not-Dragon by the horns and shakes her a bit. The Not-Dragon doesn't look particularly pleased by this and raises her eyes questioningly at Dash. A sigh escapes her. She just seems to want to know where Shriek is going with this.

4815706p.png Hey, Flauros! We are so close to winning! I-I don't know what we win, but we're so goddamn close! So, go get Grimoire. Grimoire knows!
10090585p.png ...

In a puff of black smoke, Flauros disappears, leaving an excited Shriek squirming in place. More awkward silence passes as she seems to forget the symposium exists, the host and the attendees forgotten. A stray cough catches her attention and she turns with a start, grinning. It takes a few more seconds for it to click that she should explain herself.

4815706p.png The occultist who was controlling Flauros before is dead, but we have our own occultist.
His dad is the one who helped summon Flauros in the first place, and honestly? I don't know flip about magic. I just stole it. And I guess I stole Flauros? But Grimoire will know. Grimoire...

Flauros suddenly reappears and, with her, a Mirror. He is not pleased.

4503261_350.png

Shriek grabs him and explains herself in a whirlwind that nobody seems to be able to follow. Nobody, except for the Mirror. He grimaces, glances at Dash, then walks toward the Wildclaw and pulls out a book carried at his hip. With a sigh, he drops it at the host's feet. An explosion of dust rises from where it lands. With a twist of his claw in the air, the pages begin to flip.

"*sigh* Okay, so Shriek says you want to know how the amulet works and how you summon something like Flauros. I can't say with absolute certainty because I'm working from second-hand notes, but my father assisted the necromancer who summoned Flauros in the first place, so I have some insight on that. If this is something that you knowing would prove useful in stopping people from being as reckless as most of the people I know... well, all the better, I guess.

"The amulet is the simple part because it's all just a matter of enchantment. You can enchant most things to do any manner of things such as resisting spells, protecting against ailments and foul spirits, restoring vitality, improving charisma and intelligence and all manner of other things. Enchanting an amulet to bind and summon is pretty common fare, though it's mostly used by slavers and familiar tamers. It would probably have to be a more powerful mage to bind something so powerful, but people trap spirits and elementals all the time. It's simple.

"I'll teach you sometime.

"But as for teasing out the essence of the Shade from the ether? Well, these are my father's notes, and it seems as though it all rests on some reimagined Second Age incantations. You see, the Second Age civilization--whoever they may have been--didn't have the blessings of the gods and had to utilize magic from an outside source, such as other planes of existence, the natural energies that eventually gave rise to the later deities, the latent magics of the original gods, or, unknowing to them, The Shade.

"So, these occult incantations are neutral in origin, devised at a time where dragonkind (at least in our capacity) didn't yet walk, and are meant to be used by anyone, and some are even designed to tap into dark, cosmic magic to begin with. All it takes is a little adaptation, a little tweaking, the devising of some new sigils, and tying just enough of your own elemental magic into the mix to give you a good, solid command of what you're doing. Years upon years of research, eras in the making, and it requires quite a bit of delving into archaeological records.

"Now, binding magics and forcing it into a solid form...?"

He closes the book suddenly.

"You can't make it take certain forms. It does based on whatever it knows and sees. And binding? Sigils, protection spells. Same fare as with any sprite or elemental you summon. Standard practices."

He stares at Dash and furrows his brow after a pause that lasts too long.

"Anything else?"
294869_900.png421497_900.png421214_900.png341914_900.png
1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34