Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] Felhallow
1 2 3
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=75285643][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/752857/75285643.png[/img][/url] Not sure who actually decided he should be clan leader. All Barra knows is that somebody (or several somebodies) went behind his back and voted for him. Those traitors. Apparently some of the younger members of the clan have started seeing him as a parent figure. Which is…well, he’s flattered, but he’s not completely certain that he’s the best one for that role. Especially since his way of resolving arguments is just to dump the two fighting outside the city gates and then leave them to sort it out. Failing that, he’ll tie them to trees. Hey, it works, okay? Most of the time anyway…there might’ve been a few cases where individuals got eaten by something nasty. But you can’t blame that on him. …Look, it’s just the way he deals with things. He never asked to be leader, but no one else seems to want to take over, so he’s trying. Honestly, he’s not even sure what it is that leaders do exactly. Aside from attempting to stop everything around them from descending into chaos. Though, in hindsight, that may already be happening. To combat that, Barra decided to put together a council. Well, maybe “put together” isn’t quite the right word. More like he gently threatened a few of the more sensible inhabitants into helping him run the city. In all seriousness though, Barra really is trying to be a good leader. Yes, a lot of stuff is simply being worked out as he comes across it, but so far nobody has tried to oust or replace him as leader, which he’s counting as a good thing. He could do with an explanation as to why there are so many Imperials in the city, but that’s unlikely to be provided. No, really. Why [i]are[/i] there so many Imperials? What is it about the city that attracts them? Hailing from the Tangled Wood, Barra’s past is as murky as his home region. He’s frustratingly close mouthed on the subject - badger him, and you’re likely to get glared at. All he’s ever said on the matter was that “I got pushed too far.” A few of the other clan members have noted that he can walk pretty quietly for a drake of his size. And, despite his bright colours and tattoos, he’s able to vanish into the shadows at a moment’s notice. Honestly, he’s not the only one who has a background they keep to themselves. Quite a few of the others are the same, he’s noticed. And well…he’s not one to force the issue. It’s really none of his business anyway.
75285643.png

Not sure who actually decided he should be clan leader. All Barra knows is that somebody (or several somebodies) went behind his back and voted for him. Those traitors.

Apparently some of the younger members of the clan have started seeing him as a parent figure. Which is…well, he’s flattered, but he’s not completely certain that he’s the best one for that role. Especially since his way of resolving arguments is just to dump the two fighting outside the city gates and then leave them to sort it out.

Failing that, he’ll tie them to trees.

Hey, it works, okay? Most of the time anyway…there might’ve been a few cases where individuals got eaten by something nasty. But you can’t blame that on him.

…Look, it’s just the way he deals with things. He never asked to be leader, but no one else seems to want to take over, so he’s trying. Honestly, he’s not even sure what it is that leaders do exactly. Aside from attempting to stop everything around them from descending into chaos. Though, in hindsight, that may already be happening.

To combat that, Barra decided to put together a council. Well, maybe “put together” isn’t quite the right word. More like he gently threatened a few of the more sensible inhabitants into helping him run the city.

In all seriousness though, Barra really is trying to be a good leader. Yes, a lot of stuff is simply being worked out as he comes across it, but so far nobody has tried to oust or replace him as leader, which he’s counting as a good thing. He could do with an explanation as to why there are so many Imperials in the city, but that’s unlikely to be provided. No, really. Why are there so many Imperials? What is it about the city that attracts them?

Hailing from the Tangled Wood, Barra’s past is as murky as his home region. He’s frustratingly close mouthed on the subject - badger him, and you’re likely to get glared at. All he’s ever said on the matter was that “I got pushed too far.” A few of the other clan members have noted that he can walk pretty quietly for a drake of his size. And, despite his bright colours and tattoos, he’s able to vanish into the shadows at a moment’s notice.

Honestly, he’s not the only one who has a background they keep to themselves. Quite a few of the others are the same, he’s noticed. And well…he’s not one to force the issue. It’s really none of his business anyway.
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=87380829][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/873809/87380829.png[/img][/url] An ex-assassin, Libra had to flee the Southern Icefield (had been there on a job) when something went rather wrong, and he ended up catching the attention of someone he’d been trying hard to avoid. For a while, he wandered from place to place, not really knowing what to do. Until he ended up in the Viridian Labyrinth. He’d been born and bought up in the Scarred Wasteland - so naturally the colours and greenery offended him. Still, there might be something here for him…even if everything did hurt his eyes. The city of Felhallow didn’t look too promising at first - but Libra had always been one to grab any opportunity that came his way. Besides, no one knew him here. A few harmless lies wouldn’t hurt after all. He could become anyone he wanted to. Still, Libra didn’t rush into anything. He waited, he watched. Observing his targets (back in his previous life) had always paid off - learning things about them meant that he’d known the best time to strike. Obviously he wouldn’t be killing anyone here. Saying that, though, the more Libra learnt about the inhabitants, the more he thought he could find a way to take advantage of them. Some of them were more naive than others, more willing to accept what they were told. It might be easy to make money from them. And Libra was nothing if not adaptable. Getting set up was easy - he’d kept a lot of things he’d bought over the years. Though he’d never admitted it to anyone, he was rather fond of the feel of silk against his scales. There was something so…pleasing about it. The cover took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn’t the real thing - just a heavy piece of cloth made to look like one. He was simply wearing it to appear more authentic. Becoming a fortune teller was easier than he thought. Well, almost. It was slow going in the beginning, but he’d expected that. Gradually word got around and clients started coming in. It was almost laughable how quickly they trusted him. The words trickling from his mouth were false, yet his victims ate them up. The whole effort was simply a way for him to gain money…but it had proved more successful than Libra had thought it would. He almost felt regretful about the whole thing. Almost. Not enough to stop, however. Until a certain someone from his past made themself known in Felhallow. A individual who had been rather too interested in him back in the Southern Icefield. An individual who wasn’t going to stop hunting until they’d found him. Now what? Libra wasn’t going to give up this life he’d built for himself so easily. If this was going to become a game of cat and mouse again…well so be it.
87380829.png

An ex-assassin, Libra had to flee the Southern Icefield (had been there on a job) when something went rather wrong, and he ended up catching the attention of someone he’d been trying hard to avoid.

For a while, he wandered from place to place, not really knowing what to do. Until he ended up in the Viridian Labyrinth. He’d been born and bought up in the Scarred Wasteland - so naturally the colours and greenery offended him. Still, there might be something here for him…even if everything did hurt his eyes.

The city of Felhallow didn’t look too promising at first - but Libra had always been one to grab any opportunity that came his way. Besides, no one knew him here. A few harmless lies wouldn’t hurt after all. He could become anyone he wanted to. Still, Libra didn’t rush into anything. He waited, he watched. Observing his targets (back in his previous life) had always paid off - learning things about them meant that he’d known the best time to strike.

Obviously he wouldn’t be killing anyone here. Saying that, though, the more Libra learnt about the inhabitants, the more he thought he could find a way to take advantage of them. Some of them were more naive than others, more willing to accept what they were told. It might be easy to make money from them.

And Libra was nothing if not adaptable.

Getting set up was easy - he’d kept a lot of things he’d bought over the years. Though he’d never admitted it to anyone, he was rather fond of the feel of silk against his scales. There was something so…pleasing about it. The cover took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn’t the real thing - just a heavy piece of cloth made to look like one. He was simply wearing it to appear more authentic.

Becoming a fortune teller was easier than he thought. Well, almost. It was slow going in the beginning, but he’d expected that. Gradually word got around and clients started coming in. It was almost laughable how quickly they trusted him. The words trickling from his mouth were false, yet his victims ate them up. The whole effort was simply a way for him to gain money…but it had proved more successful than Libra had thought it would.

He almost felt regretful about the whole thing. Almost. Not enough to stop, however.

Until a certain someone from his past made themself known in Felhallow. A individual who had been rather too interested in him back in the Southern Icefield. An individual who wasn’t going to stop hunting until they’d found him.

Now what? Libra wasn’t going to give up this life he’d built for himself so easily. If this was going to become a game of cat and mouse again…well so be it.
The Wildclaw mentioned here doesn’t actually exist. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=93459238][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/934593/93459238.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=91707227][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/917073/91707227.png[/img][/url] Unraveller twitched her whiskers in disapproval. “So, you’re saying that you don’t want to pay me? I helped you undo your curse, did I not? And, if I remember correctly, it certainly wasn’t a particularly [i]simple[/i] one to deal with now, was it?” The Wildclaw shifted their weight, avoiding Unraveller’s gaze. The classic sign of a guilty conscience, Unraveller thought, fighting to keep the knowing smirk off her face. For every truly grateful client, there was always one who tried to fleece her. “Look,” the Wildclaw said. “It’s not that I don’t appreciate what you’ve done. It’s just…I think you’re asking too much.” “Too much? 200 gems is not much in the scheme of things. If anything, I should’ve asked for [i]more[/i]. But, if you wish, I can always undo what I’ve done. I’m sure the aches and pains weren’t that bad after all. It might be quite nice living life as a tree.“ She spoke lightly, but Unraveller was starting to get a little bit annoyed. 200 gems really wasn’t a lot - she’d certainly asked for higher amounts from other clients. Usually those she helped paid the price without question. “No!” The Wildclaw shuddered, still not looking at her. “I-I don’t have the gems.” “You don’t [i]have[/i] the gems? Did you ever have them, or was that a lie?” “A lie,” the Wildclaw whispered miserably. “I paid off some other debts I had with them. I’m sorry.” The petals falling around Unraveller seemed to swirl faster, as if caught in an errant breeze. She took a long, slow, deep breath. “Well now,” she drawled. “That’s a bit of a problem, isn’t it. I don’t do anything for free. Unless someone’s situation tugs at my heartstrings, and it’s been a very long time since that’s happened.” “However,” she continued, raising a hand, talons outspread. “I believe I’ve just come up with a…[i]solution[/i] to this problem.” ——————————————————————————- Wynchwood forest wasn’t a particularly pretty place, Unraveller thought, glancing round at the unsightly growths on the trunk of the nearest tree, but it was a good place to ply her trade. Felhallow city too, come to that. The air was full of magic - she could feel the thrum of it. It wasn’t her main concern right now, however. “[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91707227]Kissen[/url]? Are you around?” “I’m here,” a soft voice replied. A pale Veilspun emerged from the foliage, hovering just within eye range. “Is the job finished?” “Oh, it’s done,” Unraveller said. “The client did try to talk their way out of paying me, however.” Kissen tilted her head slightly. “Did you get paid in the end?” Unraveller nodded. “I did, though not in the…usual manner, you could say.” She held up a small pouch and shook it, listening with pleasure to the gems jingling inside. “I [i]do[/i] hope the client enjoys life as a fly. Even though it’s unlikely to be a long one.” [right][url= https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3148536/3#post_56146708 ]<<<[/url]Previous Next[url= https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3148536/3#post_56478849 ]>>>[/url][/right]
The Wildclaw mentioned here doesn’t actually exist.

93459238.png91707227.png

Unraveller twitched her whiskers in disapproval.

“So, you’re saying that you don’t want to pay me? I helped you undo your curse, did I not? And, if I remember correctly, it certainly wasn’t a particularly simple one to deal with now, was it?”

The Wildclaw shifted their weight, avoiding Unraveller’s gaze. The classic sign of a guilty conscience, Unraveller thought, fighting to keep the knowing smirk off her face. For every truly grateful client, there was always one who tried to fleece her.

“Look,” the Wildclaw said. “It’s not that I don’t appreciate what you’ve done. It’s just…I think you’re asking too much.”

“Too much? 200 gems is not much in the scheme of things. If anything, I should’ve asked for more. But, if you wish, I can always undo what I’ve done. I’m sure the aches and pains weren’t that bad after all. It might be quite nice living life as a tree.“

She spoke lightly, but Unraveller was starting to get a little bit annoyed. 200 gems really wasn’t a lot - she’d certainly asked for higher amounts from other clients. Usually those she helped paid the price without question.

“No!” The Wildclaw shuddered, still not looking at her. “I-I don’t have the gems.”

“You don’t have the gems? Did you ever have them, or was that a lie?”

“A lie,” the Wildclaw whispered miserably. “I paid off some other debts I had with them. I’m sorry.”

The petals falling around Unraveller seemed to swirl faster, as if caught in an errant breeze. She took a long, slow, deep breath.

“Well now,” she drawled. “That’s a bit of a problem, isn’t it. I don’t do anything for free. Unless someone’s situation tugs at my heartstrings, and it’s been a very long time since that’s happened.”

“However,” she continued, raising a hand, talons outspread. “I believe I’ve just come up with a…solution to this problem.”

——————————————————————————-

Wynchwood forest wasn’t a particularly pretty place, Unraveller thought, glancing round at the unsightly growths on the trunk of the nearest tree, but it was a good place to ply her trade. Felhallow city too, come to that. The air was full of magic - she could feel the thrum of it. It wasn’t her main concern right now, however.

Kissen? Are you around?”

“I’m here,” a soft voice replied. A pale Veilspun emerged from the foliage, hovering just within eye range. “Is the job finished?”

“Oh, it’s done,” Unraveller said. “The client did try to talk their way out of paying me, however.”

Kissen tilted her head slightly. “Did you get paid in the end?”

Unraveller nodded. “I did, though not in the…usual manner, you could say.” She held up a small pouch and shook it, listening with pleasure to the gems jingling inside.

“I do hope the client enjoys life as a fly. Even though it’s unlikely to be a long one.”
<<<Previous Next>>>
This was the start of a lore storyline that I ended up scrapping. However, I like it too much to just let it sit, so archiving it here.

The Spy & the Egg

Warped, rotten floorboards creaked beneath her feet as the Wildclaw carefully made her way along the dark corridor. At any other time she would’ve avoided coming up here, but the object she currently held was too precious to not be delivered at once.

Windsinger, but this place gave her the creeps. The sooner she could get out of here, the better. Too many dark corners and skittering things in Varfell Hall for her liking. Countless eyes peered from the shadows, staring at her. Through her.

Ah, there the doors were.

Viscar knocked once, then waited. There was the faint sound of shuffling on the other side, but nothing else. She clicked her teeth in irritation, then knocked again.

“What? I don’t like being disturbed in the middle of my work.” 

“I have what you wanted, old man,” Viscar said.

One of the doors was pulled open, creaking and squeaking upon its hinges. The Skydancer was indeed elderly, his feathers faded and torn. Still, there was something in his eyes that Viscar did not like. They were too bright, too angry. He stared eagerly, hungrily at her.

“You’re sure? You have it?” His voice shook.

Viscar nodded, holding out the object. At first glance it didn’t look like much, just a jagged lump of ice. Both knew what it really was, however.

The Skydancer reached out, taking the egg from her.

“You weren’t seen? I won’t help you if you reveal this place to anyone, spy.”

Viscar shook her head. “I made sure. No one saw me go in or out again.”

The Skydancer stared at her for a long while, then grunted. Thrusting his claws into the pocket of his overcoat, he drew out a small pouch. The contents clinked inside as he tossed it towards Viscar, who plucked it out of the air.

“I may be in need of your services again. Be sure to stay somewhere I can contact you easily. And remember…do not let yourself be detected.” 

The door shut with a click.

Viscar snorted, then turned swiftly away. Getting out of Varfell Hall was the only thing she wanted to do right now. She’d worry about the rest of this business later.
<<<Previous Next>>>
This was the start of a lore storyline that I ended up scrapping. However, I like it too much to just let it sit, so archiving it here.

The Spy & the Egg

Warped, rotten floorboards creaked beneath her feet as the Wildclaw carefully made her way along the dark corridor. At any other time she would’ve avoided coming up here, but the object she currently held was too precious to not be delivered at once.

Windsinger, but this place gave her the creeps. The sooner she could get out of here, the better. Too many dark corners and skittering things in Varfell Hall for her liking. Countless eyes peered from the shadows, staring at her. Through her.

Ah, there the doors were.

Viscar knocked once, then waited. There was the faint sound of shuffling on the other side, but nothing else. She clicked her teeth in irritation, then knocked again.

“What? I don’t like being disturbed in the middle of my work.” 

“I have what you wanted, old man,” Viscar said.

One of the doors was pulled open, creaking and squeaking upon its hinges. The Skydancer was indeed elderly, his feathers faded and torn. Still, there was something in his eyes that Viscar did not like. They were too bright, too angry. He stared eagerly, hungrily at her.

“You’re sure? You have it?” His voice shook.

Viscar nodded, holding out the object. At first glance it didn’t look like much, just a jagged lump of ice. Both knew what it really was, however.

The Skydancer reached out, taking the egg from her.

“You weren’t seen? I won’t help you if you reveal this place to anyone, spy.”

Viscar shook her head. “I made sure. No one saw me go in or out again.”

The Skydancer stared at her for a long while, then grunted. Thrusting his claws into the pocket of his overcoat, he drew out a small pouch. The contents clinked inside as he tossed it towards Viscar, who plucked it out of the air.

“I may be in need of your services again. Be sure to stay somewhere I can contact you easily. And remember…do not let yourself be detected.” 

The door shut with a click.

Viscar snorted, then turned swiftly away. Getting out of Varfell Hall was the only thing she wanted to do right now. She’d worry about the rest of this business later.
<<<Previous Next>>>
@pinglist-12294 [size=2]Was this slightly inspired by the legend of Icarus? …Yes. But also I got a bit carried away with it. Might come back later and edit/clean it up somewhat.[/size] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=93233138][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/932332/93233138.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=91707227][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/917073/91707227.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=93213725][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/932138/93213725.png[/img][/url] Born in the Sunbeam Ruins, Arren grew used to seeing the sun. Began to take the feel of it on his dark scales for granted. His parents, and the rest of the clan, taught him to respect it. Moving to the Viridian Labyrinth was a steep learning curve for him. While the sun still shone, the shadows beneath the trees unnerved him. Of course he’d seen shadows before back home - had danced in and out of them while playing with other youngsters - but the shadows here seemed much darker, and hid things he had no name for. He became snappish, and grumpy. This was not what he longed for. Withdrawing from others, he took to scaling trees in an effort to feel the full force of the sun without it being filtered by the branches that blocked out the sky. Once at the top, he’d perch on a branch, staring up into the sky. Often his efforts went unrewarded, for the sky was cloudy, or heavy fog would obscure his vision. Arren stamped his feet and muttered on these occasions. He just wanted to see the sun, was that too much to ask? One day, after another thwarted attempt, Arren noticed something strange. The tree he’d climbed had been unoccupied at first, but now…now there were crows lining the branches around him. Both above and below they sat, and all were staring at him. They were silent too - an odd thing for crows to be. Eventually, one dropped down onto the branch beside him. And spoke. “Why do you grumble?” It croaked. “I grumble because I miss the sun,” Arren said. “It never seems to shine here.” “Is that all? Then you must fly up above the clouds. You’re nimble. You’d be able to, you know.” Arren considered the idea, then shook his head. “No, that wouldn’t work. I’m too small. If any breezes catch me, then I’d be blown off course.” “If that should happen,” the crow replied, “then call out. We’ll hear you.” It sounded so ridiculous that Arren almost dismissed it as a fevered hallucination - or a dream. But he was neither dreaming or ill. Day after day he found himself replaying the conversation in his head, dwelling on it constantly. Was it possible? Could he actually do it? “No one’s ever flown above the clouds,” Kissen said, after he’d told her the basic outline. “Even the Imperials don’t, though they do fly higher than the rest of us.” “What if someone did? What if it’s actually possible to reach the sun?” “It isn’t,” Kissen replied, shaking her head. “Anyone who tried would…well they’d most likely die.” Arren didn’t say anything, but it was plain from his expression that he disagreed. The idea had taken hold, rooted itself in his head and he began to think up ways of pulling it off. There had to be a way, there just had to! The more he thought, the more determined he became. Mentioning his plan to anyone would be useless - he saw that now. They’d only try to stop him anyway. No, he’d do it. He put his plan (such as it was) into action one bright morning. Birds sang cheerfully as he began his ascent, and a light breeze buffeted him slightly. Arren didn’t really pay much attention though. Slowly, inch by inch, he climbed. His wings started to ache a bit, but he ignored it. His eyes were fixed on the sun. The ultimate prize. If he could just get closer than anyone ever had… Higher. Higher. [i]Higher[/i]. The air grew thinner as he rose, and he began to feel light-headed. But he would not stop. He could feel the warmth of the sun now - it coiled itself round him, welcoming him. [i]Just a bit further[/i], Arren thought. [i]Don’t stop. I’ve come this far…I can’t stop now![/i] Onwards. Upwards. His mane was beginning to singe and the heat on his scales was almost unbearable. Endure it! Nearly there! Just a bit further! But his wings failed him. The delicate membranes couldn’t take anymore, and as his wings burnt, so Arren came back down - much faster than he had gone up. His mind went blank. All he could focus on was his ruined wings and mane - which seemed to be trailing black gloopy stuff as he fell. That wasn’t right, but he had no time to dwell on it. From the corner of his eye he saw dark shapes spiral up from the trees below him. Crows. A whole murder of them. Sunlight played oddly off their feathers, and for a moment Arren imagined that he saw a huge, long dark shape in their midst, then the murder was below him, around him, above him. He lay on the back of one, stunned and panting. Even in the depths of his shock, he realised something about him had changed. His scales were no longer purely obsidian - now waves of gold covered his hide. Some formed the shape of the sun, dripping down his sides. His mane, which should have been burnt away, seemed to have melted, turning to sludge instead. It was then that he heard a voice. But it wasn’t from any of the crows. It seemed to come from all around him, booming through the air like thunder. “Well met, Sunbringer.” [right]<<<Previous Next>>>[/right]
@Felhallow (lore)

Was this slightly inspired by the legend of Icarus? …Yes. But also I got a bit carried away with it. Might come back later and edit/clean it up somewhat.

93233138.png91707227.png93213725.png

Born in the Sunbeam Ruins, Arren grew used to seeing the sun. Began to take the feel of it on his dark scales for granted. His parents, and the rest of the clan, taught him to respect it.

Moving to the Viridian Labyrinth was a steep learning curve for him. While the sun still shone, the shadows beneath the trees unnerved him. Of course he’d seen shadows before back home - had danced in and out of them while playing with other youngsters - but the shadows here seemed much darker, and hid things he had no name for.

He became snappish, and grumpy. This was not what he longed for. Withdrawing from others, he took to scaling trees in an effort to feel the full force of the sun without it being filtered by the branches that blocked out the sky. Once at the top, he’d perch on a branch, staring up into the sky. Often his efforts went unrewarded, for the sky was cloudy, or heavy fog would obscure his vision.

Arren stamped his feet and muttered on these occasions. He just wanted to see the sun, was that too much to ask?

One day, after another thwarted attempt, Arren noticed something strange. The tree he’d climbed had been unoccupied at first, but now…now there were crows lining the branches around him. Both above and below they sat, and all were staring at him. They were silent too - an odd thing for crows to be.

Eventually, one dropped down onto the branch beside him. And spoke.

“Why do you grumble?” It croaked.

“I grumble because I miss the sun,” Arren said. “It never seems to shine here.”

“Is that all? Then you must fly up above the clouds. You’re nimble. You’d be able to, you know.”

Arren considered the idea, then shook his head.

“No, that wouldn’t work. I’m too small. If any breezes catch me, then I’d be blown off course.”

“If that should happen,” the crow replied, “then call out. We’ll hear you.”

It sounded so ridiculous that Arren almost dismissed it as a fevered hallucination - or a dream. But he was neither dreaming or ill. Day after day he found himself replaying the conversation in his head, dwelling on it constantly. Was it possible? Could he actually do it?

“No one’s ever flown above the clouds,” Kissen said, after he’d told her the basic outline. “Even the Imperials don’t, though they do fly higher than the rest of us.”

“What if someone did? What if it’s actually possible to reach the sun?”

“It isn’t,” Kissen replied, shaking her head. “Anyone who tried would…well they’d most likely die.”

Arren didn’t say anything, but it was plain from his expression that he disagreed. The idea had taken hold, rooted itself in his head and he began to think up ways of pulling it off. There had to be a way, there just had to!

The more he thought, the more determined he became. Mentioning his plan to anyone would be useless - he saw that now. They’d only try to stop him anyway. No, he’d do it.

He put his plan (such as it was) into action one bright morning. Birds sang cheerfully as he began his ascent, and a light breeze buffeted him slightly. Arren didn’t really pay much attention though. Slowly, inch by inch, he climbed. His wings started to ache a bit, but he ignored it. His eyes were fixed on the sun. The ultimate prize. If he could just get closer than anyone ever had…

Higher. Higher. Higher. The air grew thinner as he rose, and he began to feel light-headed. But he would not stop. He could feel the warmth of the sun now - it coiled itself round him, welcoming him. Just a bit further, Arren thought. Don’t stop. I’ve come this far…I can’t stop now!

Onwards. Upwards. His mane was beginning to singe and the heat on his scales was almost unbearable. Endure it! Nearly there! Just a bit further!

But his wings failed him. The delicate membranes couldn’t take anymore, and as his wings burnt, so Arren came back down - much faster than he had gone up. His mind went blank. All he could focus on was his ruined wings and mane - which seemed to be trailing black gloopy stuff as he fell. That wasn’t right, but he had no time to dwell on it.

From the corner of his eye he saw dark shapes spiral up from the trees below him. Crows. A whole murder of them. Sunlight played oddly off their feathers, and for a moment Arren imagined that he saw a huge, long dark shape in their midst, then the murder was below him, around him, above him.

He lay on the back of one, stunned and panting. Even in the depths of his shock, he realised something about him had changed. His scales were no longer purely obsidian - now waves of gold covered his hide. Some formed the shape of the sun, dripping down his sides. His mane, which should have been burnt away, seemed to have melted, turning to sludge instead.

It was then that he heard a voice. But it wasn’t from any of the crows. It seemed to come from all around him, booming through the air like thunder.

“Well met, Sunbringer.”
<<<Previous Next>>>

1. What Flight is your clan?

Nature (lore only - I started off there and couldn’t be bothered changing the lore when I moved to Wind).

2. Why did they choose this Flight?

Lots of good hiding places. One can make a home in Wynchwood forest and never be found, if they so wish. Felhallow itself is a (somewhat) safe place to bring up a family or ply your trade.

3. Have they been loyal to other Flights before this? Or will they never move?

Individuals have, yes. As a clan, however, they probably wouldn’t move unless something catastrophic happened.

4. What would be the deciding factor in a move, if the clan had to?

Probably something like someone accidentally summoning too many eldritch beasties. On a more serious note - likely some kind of natural disaster - a fire or flood perhaps. Or possibly internal conflict that ends up infecting/ involving everyone.

5. Is the clan spiritual and highly loyal to their deity? Are they indifferent?

About as indifferent as can be. They’re aware of the deities…but they don’t really care about worshipping them.

6. How does the clan view those from different Flights? Are they welcoming to all dragons, or suspcious of newcomers?

Tbh, the clan isn’t so much a clan as a bunch of misfits trying to get along together. Merchants rub shoulders with mercenaries, shop keepers, cafe owners, artists…and other individuals who’ve more shady pasts. As to how welcoming they are…that depends on the individual, I think. Overall, anyone who wants to find a home/place here is likely to fit in.

7. What does your lair look like? Go into detail.

8. Who founded the clan?

Nobody - well technically anyway. Could say that Barra founded it, but he has a hard enough time seeing himself as leader honestly.

9. Who is your clan leader? Why are they the leader? Have there been any leadership changes?

Barra. He’s the leader simply because the others thought he’d be the best one for the job. He’d probably be quite relieved if someone wanted to take over, now that I think about it.

10. Was the leader chosen? Were they elected? An heir to the throne? Or maybe they achieved something within the clan?

Elected - but Barra didn’t actually know about it until after the fact.

11. Who handles interclan relations? Any diplomats? Peacekeepers?

Humm…Mezzo made the mistake of trying to mediate an argument between Selenay and Zee once. Now everyone tends to go to him if they have a disagreement to sort. Wouldn’t say he’s an official peacekeeper or anything though…

12. How does your clan view the Beastclans? Who handles Beastclan relations?

They used to be fairly wary of the Beastclans, but have started coming round to the idea of interacting with them. No one currently handles Beastclan relations.

13. Does your clan have specific roles for each dragon?

Yeah.

14. Does your clan have any Flight ambassadors? What do they do?

Nope!

15. Does your clan have a council? An elected group of dragons in power?

There is a council! Unfortunately two of the members do not get on with each other, another’s a thief, and one just wants to leave (but is too scared of Barra to do so). So…it’s debatable as to how well they’re doing holding everything together honestly.

16. Are all dragons in the clan expected to contribute in some way? Or are they left to their own devices?

More left to their own devices really. They are expected to help out when festivals come around, but that’s about it.

17. Who protects the clan? Who is in charge of battling/guarding?

Still working on this.

18. Does your clan trade with any other clanS? Any allies? Enemies?

There is trade with other clans, yes! No particular allies or enemies yet though. (Am open to alliances!)

19. How is exalting handled in your clan? Any ceremonies? Is exalt fodder something that is part of your lore?

Exalting is just individuals leaving the city & not returning. Nope, no ceremonies. Not really.

20. Who does the gathering in the clan? (digging, scavenging, hunting, etc.)

21. Does your clan have a healer?

There’s two. Verdaunt’s probably the more knowledgeable, but his bed-side manner is appalling, and no one really likes going to him. Florentino’s more of a field medic - he’s usually travelling with the Craven Quiver (mercenaries).

22. Who looks after hatchlings? The parents, or a general hatchling-sitter?

The parents for the first month or two. Then, once the hatchlings have found their legs and are starting to get into things (or if the adults are busy), Kinna takes over. A retired stone carver, she now runs a nursery.

23. How does your clan educate younger dragons? Is there a scribe, scholar, or mentor?

That’s Kinna again. While she’s a firm believer in letting young dragons experiences shape them, she does teach the basics. How to fly, how to read & write etc…she’ll even let them use her ovens if they show an interest in cooking/baking!

24. Do you have any artists within your clan? How do they make a living from their crafts?

25. Does your clan have a cook? Who handles the food?

No set cook - though I’ve got a few bakers.

26. Who is on the Coli team? Who trains future warriors?

At the moment it’s Apogee, Bluff & Bronte. The Coli really doesn’t play a big part in my lore, so I don’t really have trainers. (I do have a level 25 - but he’s a permababy.)

27. Any messengers? Scouts? Delivery dragons?

Drym’s the (unofficial) delivery dragon. Guess Fane & the other mercs act as scouts/messengers at times.

28. How does apparel work in your clan? Are any pieces of apparel status symbols, or indicators of the role the dragon has?

Clothes are clothes. Some dress in clothing suiting their jobs, others don’t. Some only wear the minimum, others tend to hoard certain articles of clothing.

29. How are familiars viewed in the clan? Pets? Companions? Friends?

Depends on the individual in question! Most members of the clan view their familiars as companions at the very least.

30. Do you have any familiars that are intelligent enough to directly interact with the dragons?

Yep.

31. Who cares for the familiars? The familiar's dragon, or a general caretaker?

The dragons themselves.

32. Are extra familiars/non-bonded familiars free to wander around the lair? Or do they not exist in the lore?

33. Does your clan have any Beastclan members living among the ranks?

Only as familiars tbh.

34. Who hoards what? Do the dragons each have a personal hoard, or is there one big storage area?

35. Does your clan specialize in anything?

36. Does your clan stand for anything? (truth, might, knowledge, etc.)

37. What is the origin of your clan's name?

38. Does your clan have a set of rules or guidelines for the members? What happens if a dragon breaks these rules?

39. How does your clan view Gen One dragons?

40. Does your clan have a territory? Or just the lair?

41. Do any dragons in the lair have a bias or dislike towards certain breeds or a Flight?

42. Which dragons are good friends within your clan? Any enemies? Best couple?

43. Who's the cinnamon roll, and who's the problematic fave?

44. Do you have any dragons that aren't part of the lore? Just for show?

45. Are there any dragons in your clan who dislike hatchlings?

46. How do permababies work in your lore? Do you have any?

47. Who manages the treasure and gem hoards?

48. Has your clan gone through any unfortunate events? Tragedies, even?

49. Are roles assigned to dragons when they are born/come into the clan, or do they choose their role?

50. Who kills the spiders?

51. Who eats all the food?

52. Do you have any tricksters or prank loving dragons? Do they cause mischief?

53, Most intimdating dragon?

54. Most friendly dragon?

55. Dragon most likely to bring back a stick from gathering?

56. Laziest dragon?

57. Funniest dragon?

58. Do you have any sub-clans? What are they called?

59. Does your clan decorate the lair at all? How so?

60. What markers does your clan use to let others know they live in the area? Flags? Banners? Runes?

61. Smartest dragon?

62. The dragon everybody loves?

63. The dragon everybody hates?

64. Do you have a clan rune?

65. Pick a song that best describes your clan.

66. Who gets into arguments the most? Who keeps the peace?

67. How do skins and accents work in your lore?

68. Best dressed?

69. Does your clan have any elders?

70. Does each dragon in your lair have their own space, or is the entire lair shared?

71. How do you handle gene scrolls in your lore?

72. Who loves festivals the most? Who parties the hardest?

73. Pick two dragons and talk about their relationship.

74. Choose one dragon and talk about them.

75. Choose a dragon with a familiar and talk about their relationship.

1. What Flight is your clan?

Nature (lore only - I started off there and couldn’t be bothered changing the lore when I moved to Wind).

2. Why did they choose this Flight?

Lots of good hiding places. One can make a home in Wynchwood forest and never be found, if they so wish. Felhallow itself is a (somewhat) safe place to bring up a family or ply your trade.

3. Have they been loyal to other Flights before this? Or will they never move?

Individuals have, yes. As a clan, however, they probably wouldn’t move unless something catastrophic happened.

4. What would be the deciding factor in a move, if the clan had to?

Probably something like someone accidentally summoning too many eldritch beasties. On a more serious note - likely some kind of natural disaster - a fire or flood perhaps. Or possibly internal conflict that ends up infecting/ involving everyone.

5. Is the clan spiritual and highly loyal to their deity? Are they indifferent?

About as indifferent as can be. They’re aware of the deities…but they don’t really care about worshipping them.

6. How does the clan view those from different Flights? Are they welcoming to all dragons, or suspcious of newcomers?

Tbh, the clan isn’t so much a clan as a bunch of misfits trying to get along together. Merchants rub shoulders with mercenaries, shop keepers, cafe owners, artists…and other individuals who’ve more shady pasts. As to how welcoming they are…that depends on the individual, I think. Overall, anyone who wants to find a home/place here is likely to fit in.

7. What does your lair look like? Go into detail.

8. Who founded the clan?

Nobody - well technically anyway. Could say that Barra founded it, but he has a hard enough time seeing himself as leader honestly.

9. Who is your clan leader? Why are they the leader? Have there been any leadership changes?

Barra. He’s the leader simply because the others thought he’d be the best one for the job. He’d probably be quite relieved if someone wanted to take over, now that I think about it.

10. Was the leader chosen? Were they elected? An heir to the throne? Or maybe they achieved something within the clan?

Elected - but Barra didn’t actually know about it until after the fact.

11. Who handles interclan relations? Any diplomats? Peacekeepers?

Humm…Mezzo made the mistake of trying to mediate an argument between Selenay and Zee once. Now everyone tends to go to him if they have a disagreement to sort. Wouldn’t say he’s an official peacekeeper or anything though…

12. How does your clan view the Beastclans? Who handles Beastclan relations?

They used to be fairly wary of the Beastclans, but have started coming round to the idea of interacting with them. No one currently handles Beastclan relations.

13. Does your clan have specific roles for each dragon?

Yeah.

14. Does your clan have any Flight ambassadors? What do they do?

Nope!

15. Does your clan have a council? An elected group of dragons in power?

There is a council! Unfortunately two of the members do not get on with each other, another’s a thief, and one just wants to leave (but is too scared of Barra to do so). So…it’s debatable as to how well they’re doing holding everything together honestly.

16. Are all dragons in the clan expected to contribute in some way? Or are they left to their own devices?

More left to their own devices really. They are expected to help out when festivals come around, but that’s about it.

17. Who protects the clan? Who is in charge of battling/guarding?

Still working on this.

18. Does your clan trade with any other clanS? Any allies? Enemies?

There is trade with other clans, yes! No particular allies or enemies yet though. (Am open to alliances!)

19. How is exalting handled in your clan? Any ceremonies? Is exalt fodder something that is part of your lore?

Exalting is just individuals leaving the city & not returning. Nope, no ceremonies. Not really.

20. Who does the gathering in the clan? (digging, scavenging, hunting, etc.)

21. Does your clan have a healer?

There’s two. Verdaunt’s probably the more knowledgeable, but his bed-side manner is appalling, and no one really likes going to him. Florentino’s more of a field medic - he’s usually travelling with the Craven Quiver (mercenaries).

22. Who looks after hatchlings? The parents, or a general hatchling-sitter?

The parents for the first month or two. Then, once the hatchlings have found their legs and are starting to get into things (or if the adults are busy), Kinna takes over. A retired stone carver, she now runs a nursery.

23. How does your clan educate younger dragons? Is there a scribe, scholar, or mentor?

That’s Kinna again. While she’s a firm believer in letting young dragons experiences shape them, she does teach the basics. How to fly, how to read & write etc…she’ll even let them use her ovens if they show an interest in cooking/baking!

24. Do you have any artists within your clan? How do they make a living from their crafts?

25. Does your clan have a cook? Who handles the food?

No set cook - though I’ve got a few bakers.

26. Who is on the Coli team? Who trains future warriors?

At the moment it’s Apogee, Bluff & Bronte. The Coli really doesn’t play a big part in my lore, so I don’t really have trainers. (I do have a level 25 - but he’s a permababy.)

27. Any messengers? Scouts? Delivery dragons?

Drym’s the (unofficial) delivery dragon. Guess Fane & the other mercs act as scouts/messengers at times.

28. How does apparel work in your clan? Are any pieces of apparel status symbols, or indicators of the role the dragon has?

Clothes are clothes. Some dress in clothing suiting their jobs, others don’t. Some only wear the minimum, others tend to hoard certain articles of clothing.

29. How are familiars viewed in the clan? Pets? Companions? Friends?

Depends on the individual in question! Most members of the clan view their familiars as companions at the very least.

30. Do you have any familiars that are intelligent enough to directly interact with the dragons?

Yep.

31. Who cares for the familiars? The familiar's dragon, or a general caretaker?

The dragons themselves.

32. Are extra familiars/non-bonded familiars free to wander around the lair? Or do they not exist in the lore?

33. Does your clan have any Beastclan members living among the ranks?

Only as familiars tbh.

34. Who hoards what? Do the dragons each have a personal hoard, or is there one big storage area?

35. Does your clan specialize in anything?

36. Does your clan stand for anything? (truth, might, knowledge, etc.)

37. What is the origin of your clan's name?

38. Does your clan have a set of rules or guidelines for the members? What happens if a dragon breaks these rules?

39. How does your clan view Gen One dragons?

40. Does your clan have a territory? Or just the lair?

41. Do any dragons in the lair have a bias or dislike towards certain breeds or a Flight?

42. Which dragons are good friends within your clan? Any enemies? Best couple?

43. Who's the cinnamon roll, and who's the problematic fave?

44. Do you have any dragons that aren't part of the lore? Just for show?

45. Are there any dragons in your clan who dislike hatchlings?

46. How do permababies work in your lore? Do you have any?

47. Who manages the treasure and gem hoards?

48. Has your clan gone through any unfortunate events? Tragedies, even?

49. Are roles assigned to dragons when they are born/come into the clan, or do they choose their role?

50. Who kills the spiders?

51. Who eats all the food?

52. Do you have any tricksters or prank loving dragons? Do they cause mischief?

53, Most intimdating dragon?

54. Most friendly dragon?

55. Dragon most likely to bring back a stick from gathering?

56. Laziest dragon?

57. Funniest dragon?

58. Do you have any sub-clans? What are they called?

59. Does your clan decorate the lair at all? How so?

60. What markers does your clan use to let others know they live in the area? Flags? Banners? Runes?

61. Smartest dragon?

62. The dragon everybody loves?

63. The dragon everybody hates?

64. Do you have a clan rune?

65. Pick a song that best describes your clan.

66. Who gets into arguments the most? Who keeps the peace?

67. How do skins and accents work in your lore?

68. Best dressed?

69. Does your clan have any elders?

70. Does each dragon in your lair have their own space, or is the entire lair shared?

71. How do you handle gene scrolls in your lore?

72. Who loves festivals the most? Who parties the hardest?

73. Pick two dragons and talk about their relationship.

74. Choose one dragon and talk about them.

75. Choose a dragon with a familiar and talk about their relationship.
@Twite Looks like I've missed a bit. I enjoy when the genes are explained as in-universe changes like Arren!
@Twite Looks like I've missed a bit. I enjoy when the genes are explained as in-universe changes like Arren!
Dom-Shop-Link.png?rlkey=ts1tscej29cs0kt4g6wt9c37d&dl=0.png 1428_150px_istoki_by_miirshroom-dbzlzj5.png Lore-Thread-Link.png?rlkey=clnaiehtq32jzyvwmgq07ek0n&dl=0.png
@Istoki

Thanks! In Arren’s case - his appearance changing is as a result of being…chosen (I suppose) by something. Hopefully I’ll get round to finally connecting all the loose threads that are floating around in my head at some point.
@Istoki

Thanks! In Arren’s case - his appearance changing is as a result of being…chosen (I suppose) by something. Hopefully I’ll get round to finally connecting all the loose threads that are floating around in my head at some point.
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=94136955][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/941370/94136955.png[/img][/url] There’s a lake on the outskirts of the city. It’s well stocked with fish, and there are plenty of plants that grow around the edges. Many a dragon has been lured there, only to meet their end at the hands of the one who lurks behind the waterfall. However…there’s also something within the lake itself. The water is deep and dark enough to hide many a large creature. There have been tales of individuals who’ve been gathering water plants and seen strange lights down in the depths. Pale blue bioluminescent lights that seem to move of their own accord against the darkness. Or else they might flash, as if whatever is down there is communicating with something. Occasionally there could be eyes, or what might pass as eyes, peering through the murk towards the surface. There have been stories of dragons coming to the lake in the early morning/evening getting dragged into the water by something unseen. As they’ve tried to fight their way back up to the surface, the creature only drags them down deeper. Usually it would end with the individual never being seen again. Usually. It seems, though, that these individuals are being saved by a glowing blue…dragon/monster in the shape of a dragon? No one’s entirely sure. Normally all they see is a flash of fins, and maybe the gleam of teeth before the…whatever it is shoots past to attack the beast that’s got hold of them. Most of them agree that the second creature looks like an Imperial, but it’s usually too fast to get a good look at it. What is true, though, is that the survivors all agree that this being saved them. In the ensuing attack, the beast that caught them lets go, in order to defend itself, and they can then head up to the surface. Sometimes they get the feeling that they’re being followed, as if something is making sure they don’t get caught unawares again. Or maybe they’ll catch a glimmer of bioluminescence, slowly circling beneath them. It usually vanishes as they reach the surface. Perhaps heading back to the depths, ready to protect the next unwary visitor that gets pulled from the banks.
94136955.png

There’s a lake on the outskirts of the city. It’s well stocked with fish, and there are plenty of plants that grow around the edges. Many a dragon has been lured there, only to meet their end at the hands of the one who lurks behind the waterfall.

However…there’s also something within the lake itself. The water is deep and dark enough to hide many a large creature. There have been tales of individuals who’ve been gathering water plants and seen strange lights down in the depths. Pale blue bioluminescent lights that seem to move of their own accord against the darkness. Or else they might flash, as if whatever is down there is communicating with something. Occasionally there could be eyes, or what might pass as eyes, peering through the murk towards the surface.

There have been stories of dragons coming to the lake in the early morning/evening getting dragged into the water by something unseen. As they’ve tried to fight their way back up to the surface, the creature only drags them down deeper. Usually it would end with the individual never being seen again.

Usually.

It seems, though, that these individuals are being saved by a glowing blue…dragon/monster in the shape of a dragon? No one’s entirely sure. Normally all they see is a flash of fins, and maybe the gleam of teeth before the…whatever it is shoots past to attack the beast that’s got hold of them. Most of them agree that the second creature looks like an Imperial, but it’s usually too fast to get a good look at it.

What is true, though, is that the survivors all agree that this being saved them. In the ensuing attack, the beast that caught them lets go, in order to defend itself, and they can then head up to the surface. Sometimes they get the feeling that they’re being followed, as if something is making sure they don’t get caught unawares again. Or maybe they’ll catch a glimmer of bioluminescence, slowly circling beneath them. It usually vanishes as they reach the surface. Perhaps heading back to the depths, ready to protect the next unwary visitor that gets pulled from the banks.
1 2 3