Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | DRAGON DIARIES II - Round 5 Complete!
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
*giggle* Well played, Romance. Well played. Ah, the lawful types just make it so easy sometimes, don´t they?
*giggle* Well played, Romance. Well played. Ah, the lawful types just make it so easy sometimes, don´t they?
[center]~ ~~~ [b][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Day 7 :[/b] [/font][/size][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Evenglow[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30389502] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/303896/30389502.png[/img] [/url] [/center][/size][/font] [indent][i][size=5][font=Century Gothic]As the approaching storm congealed into the wings and snarling jaws of a banescale, I could only shake my head. Caesar sure knows his stuff. The dragons of the Night Guard fanned out to either side of me - Chasm and Sibyl to the right, Caesar and his apprentice Cheripha to the left. I braced my staff -- the conduit of my mana-- in front of me and inhaled a deep breath. Okay, stormy boy - let’s dance. We spread out like a launching net -- the farthest out took a wide sweep while my closest allies and I zoned in close on the enemy. A shimmering screen shot forth from my staff, stretching out lengthwise to form a protective barrier -- I wasn’t about to risk any stray lightning bolts, that was for sure. Together, the five of us hovered between the diving banescale and the center structure where the mages gathered. No way was this random enemy getting in between us and our way home, I thought. But as I studied our foe, I reconsidered the ‘random’ part. A wine-colored Banescale… where had I heard that before? Hadn’t Revelation mentioned encountering a pair of such colored banescales during his faceoff against Encryption? Was this one of them? But that didn’t track. Surely the Day Guard captain would have mentioned those surging eyes? “Evenglow!” I winced as I heard my name called from down below. Intending to ignore it, I glanced down just briefly only to cross eyes with Hasil himself. Ah. I never exactly got on well with the Clan Leader -- for very complicated reasons -- but even so, I knew I could not ignore him. “Can’t this wait?” I called, straining to keep focus on holding the magic shield. “It can’t,” said Hasil. “Hieroglyph successfully launched a portal to Brightwing, Evenglow. I need you and the Night Guard to gather everyone and see them safely through. Do you understand me?” My heartbeat surged at the word portal. “But what about -- that?” I gestured toward the rapidly approaching enemy. To my surprise, Hasil reached toward his waist and unsheathed his gleaming sword. Determination flared in his eyes. “Leave that to me.” [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 7 : Evenglow
30389502.png
As the approaching storm congealed into the wings and snarling jaws of a banescale, I could only shake my head. Caesar sure knows his stuff. The dragons of the Night Guard fanned out to either side of me - Chasm and Sibyl to the right, Caesar and his apprentice Cheripha to the left. I braced my staff -- the conduit of my mana-- in front of me and inhaled a deep breath.

Okay, stormy boy - let’s dance.

We spread out like a launching net -- the farthest out took a wide sweep while my closest allies and I zoned in close on the enemy. A shimmering screen shot forth from my staff, stretching out lengthwise to form a protective barrier -- I wasn’t about to risk any stray lightning bolts, that was for sure. Together, the five of us hovered between the diving banescale and the center structure where the mages gathered. No way was this random enemy getting in between us and our way home, I thought.

But as I studied our foe, I reconsidered the ‘random’ part. A wine-colored Banescale… where had I heard that before? Hadn’t Revelation mentioned encountering a pair of such colored banescales during his faceoff against Encryption? Was this one of them? But that didn’t track. Surely the Day Guard captain would have mentioned those surging eyes?

“Evenglow!” I winced as I heard my name called from down below. Intending to ignore it, I glanced down just briefly only to cross eyes with Hasil himself. Ah. I never exactly got on well with the Clan Leader -- for very complicated reasons -- but even so, I knew I could not ignore him.

“Can’t this wait?” I called, straining to keep focus on holding the magic shield.

“It can’t,” said Hasil. “Hieroglyph successfully launched a portal to Brightwing, Evenglow. I need you and the Night Guard to gather everyone and see them safely through. Do you understand me?”

My heartbeat surged at the word portal. “But what about -- that?” I gestured toward the rapidly approaching enemy.

To my surprise, Hasil reached toward his waist and unsheathed his gleaming sword. Determination flared in his eyes. “Leave that to me.”
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
...really? Something about this rings false. For the "heart of the storm" to be simply an obstacle and not have anything to do with actually creating the portal... I don´t know why, but I´m kinda expecting some sort of plot twist. Maybe because Hasil is taking the prophecy literally and I don´t expect anyone to actually die? ...yeah, that´s a part of it.

Ps: I´ve never thought about using the cane from the tuxedo set as a magic staff, but why? Don´t know, it has a crystal on top, of course it would be an awesome focus. Love your work on everyone´s outfits, as always
...really? Something about this rings false. For the "heart of the storm" to be simply an obstacle and not have anything to do with actually creating the portal... I don´t know why, but I´m kinda expecting some sort of plot twist. Maybe because Hasil is taking the prophecy literally and I don´t expect anyone to actually die? ...yeah, that´s a part of it.

Ps: I´ve never thought about using the cane from the tuxedo set as a magic staff, but why? Don´t know, it has a crystal on top, of course it would be an awesome focus. Love your work on everyone´s outfits, as always
[center]~ ~~~ [b][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Day 8 :[/b] [/font][/size][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Solaris[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31616425] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/316165/31616425.png[/img] [/url] [/center][/size][/font] [indent][i][size=5][font=Century Gothic]So. The mages of Brightwing have finally done it. I had been beginning to lose patience with them, counting down the days, weeks, months that my precious Archive stood unattended, left to the whims of dust and decay and Eleven knows what else. But since there wasn’t much call for a librarian’s skills when it came to building a magic portal, I’d instead been piecing together a different sort of plan. After all, ancient tomes were not the only treasures I protected. Urias of Aéternas. A dragon feared by most - and who could blame them? As a master of the ancient craft of Blood Magic, he wields frightening power. He can drain a dragon’s Life Energy in a flash, or render a proud structure into a pile of ash. But I knew something else about Urias. He happens to be brilliant. The experiments he runs in those dark cellars of his provide a wealth of research that future dragons would be very grateful to have - perhaps even worldchanging insights! But of course, the guards of Brightwing only saw the threat he posed. They’d be watching for him, ensuring he did not get through the portal. I’d realized this weeks ago. Luckily I’d been preparing for this. Now, amidst the clamor of dragons darting toward the center of the campsite, the neon glow of the expanding portal, and the thunderous storm overhead, I sought out my loyal assistants, Titania and Tamlin, and prepared to set my plan into motion. Urias won’t like it, but he’ll just have to deal. Because I’m not going back to Brightwing without him. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] Morigan - Glad you like the outfits :) Honestly that's a lot of times where the inspiration for lore comes from, when I'm putting together a dragon's look the personality kind of evolves from that! Also, sorry for not responding to your last few comments - I just didn't want to accidentally give anything away ;)
~
~~~
Day 8 : Solaris
31616425.png
So. The mages of Brightwing have finally done it.

I had been beginning to lose patience with them, counting down the days, weeks, months that my precious Archive stood unattended, left to the whims of dust and decay and Eleven knows what else. But since there wasn’t much call for a librarian’s skills when it came to building a magic portal, I’d instead been piecing together a different sort of plan. After all, ancient tomes were not the only treasures I protected.

Urias of Aéternas. A dragon feared by most - and who could blame them? As a master of the ancient craft of Blood Magic, he wields frightening power. He can drain a dragon’s Life Energy in a flash, or render a proud structure into a pile of ash. But I knew something else about Urias. He happens to be brilliant. The experiments he runs in those dark cellars of his provide a wealth of research that future dragons would be very grateful to have - perhaps even worldchanging insights!

But of course, the guards of Brightwing only saw the threat he posed. They’d be watching for him, ensuring he did not get through the portal. I’d realized this weeks ago. Luckily I’d been preparing for this. Now, amidst the clamor of dragons darting toward the center of the campsite, the neon glow of the expanding portal, and the thunderous storm overhead, I sought out my loyal assistants, Titania and Tamlin, and prepared to set my plan into motion.

Urias won’t like it, but he’ll just have to deal. Because I’m not going back to Brightwing without him.
~~~
~

Morigan - Glad you like the outfits :) Honestly that's a lot of times where the inspiration for lore comes from, when I'm putting together a dragon's look the personality kind of evolves from that!
Also, sorry for not responding to your last few comments - I just didn't want to accidentally give anything away ;)
TpW6gwi.png
Heh, I completely understand. Dropping spoilers is only too easy once one starts commenting on stuff. XD That´s fine, I´m just dropping my thoughtprocess on you so you´ve got some feedback. Eleven know writing lore is hard enough even with that, much less without.

Also, great to see Solaris in action. She´s always been an enigma in the background... and I agree with her sentiment. It would be a shame if they left Urias behind. Sure I might mostly be saying that because I like watching the chaos he causes, but... ahem. What I´m trying to say is, I´m rooting for you and your plan, Solaris. :D
Heh, I completely understand. Dropping spoilers is only too easy once one starts commenting on stuff. XD That´s fine, I´m just dropping my thoughtprocess on you so you´ve got some feedback. Eleven know writing lore is hard enough even with that, much less without.

Also, great to see Solaris in action. She´s always been an enigma in the background... and I agree with her sentiment. It would be a shame if they left Urias behind. Sure I might mostly be saying that because I like watching the chaos he causes, but... ahem. What I´m trying to say is, I´m rooting for you and your plan, Solaris. :D
[center]~ ~~~ [b][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Day 9 :[/b] [/font][/size][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Arodan[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24950677] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/249507/24950677.png[/img] [/url] [/center][/size][/font] [indent][i][size=5][font=Century Gothic]I never really handle commotion well. As I stepped out into a wave of rushing dragons, I fought off a surge of panic. This was a good thing, I reminded myself. Hieroglyph had succeeded at last. We were going home. But, still feeling dizzied, my gaze sought out the one dragon whose presence would stabilize me. I couldn’t find him. “Shezarni, have you seen your father?” I asked as I spotted her directing a few dragons toward the center of camp. She glanced over. “I haven’t. Perhaps he’s already gone through the portal?” “No,” I said with certainty. “He wouldn’t. Not until the rest of the clan had gotten through safety.” Shezarni touched my shoulder. “I’m sure he’s fine.” But I wasn’t so certain. I kept searching until I came across another familiar dragon overseeing the crowds. “Evenglow, have you -- have you seen Hasil at all?” The deep blue sorceress cast her gaze on me, her features so closely resembling my own. “Ehm. You may want to look up.” Up? Holding my breath, I raised my gaze toward the rumbling storm overhead only to see that it wasn’t a storm at all, but a dragon: a ferocious Banescale, with wings spread wide as a nest of cloud whorled around him, veined with blue flashes of lightning. He faced down a second dragon: smaller, dressed in gold, gliding forward with a blade in hand. My mate, my Hasil. It seemed he’d taken the flash of illumination from earlier today very literally. As I clutched both hands to my chest above my wildly beating heart, I watched him descend toward his foe, a single beam of light piercing the storm. A shattering sound rang through the sky. And then, silence.[/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 9 : Arodan
24950677.png
I never really handle commotion well. As I stepped out into a wave of rushing dragons, I fought off a surge of panic. This was a good thing, I reminded myself. Hieroglyph had succeeded at last. We were going home. But, still feeling dizzied, my gaze sought out the one dragon whose presence would stabilize me.

I couldn’t find him.

“Shezarni, have you seen your father?” I asked as I spotted her directing a few dragons toward the center of camp.

She glanced over. “I haven’t. Perhaps he’s already gone through the portal?”

“No,” I said with certainty. “He wouldn’t. Not until the rest of the clan had gotten through safety.”

Shezarni touched my shoulder. “I’m sure he’s fine.”

But I wasn’t so certain. I kept searching until I came across another familiar dragon overseeing the crowds. “Evenglow, have you -- have you seen Hasil at all?”

The deep blue sorceress cast her gaze on me, her features so closely resembling my own. “Ehm. You may want to look up.”

Up?

Holding my breath, I raised my gaze toward the rumbling storm overhead only to see that it wasn’t a storm at all, but a dragon: a ferocious Banescale, with wings spread wide as a nest of cloud whorled around him, veined with blue flashes of lightning. He faced down a second dragon: smaller, dressed in gold, gliding forward with a blade in hand. My mate, my Hasil. It seemed he’d taken the flash of illumination from earlier today very literally.

As I clutched both hands to my chest above my wildly beating heart, I watched him descend toward his foe, a single beam of light piercing the storm. A shattering sound rang through the sky.

And then, silence.
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
Aaaaaaaa.... cliffie! [emoji=mirror scared size=2]
Aaaaaaaa.... cliffie!
[center]~ ~~~ [b][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Day 10 :[/b] [/font][/size][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Urias[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34789639] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/347897/34789639.png[/img] [/url] [/center][/size][/font] [indent][i][size=5][font=Century Gothic]I am in a box. Worse, I am in a box also filled with books, which slide around and collide into me as the box is carried inconspicuously through a crowd on the shoulders of three librarians. Certainly I have been in worse situations -- yet it is still very hard not to utter a curse everytime one of those blasted tomes wedge into me. How did it come to this? I am a Blood Mage! I could blaze a path lined with corpses straight to the portal, all of this sneaking be d*mned. Yet, that would be incredibly wasteful, and furthermore, it is admittedly my own fault we’re all here. And so, I sacrifice my dignity to be shuttled through the crowd amidst a box of books. If anyone asks, Solaris insists she came across important historical Shifting Expanse tomes that simply had to be added to her Archives at home. This is not even a lie -- Solaris likely values these dusty things more highly than my wellbeing. But at least she does value me enough to put together this plan, unpleasant though it may be. And if the books ruse fails, the path of corpses can be the fallback plan. I am, admittedly, more than a little eager to be back to my cellars. After dismantling the failed project that was Encryption, I was forced to flee and hole up in a cave while the dragons of Brightwing busied themselves with rescuing the missing Imperial and didn’t have the time to chase me down. And in that cave I have remained, more or less, stepping out only to hunt or to gather supplies for whatever crude experiments I could manage. My cellars may be dark and solitary enough, but this? This pushed my sanity to its very limits. But to be back in my cellars, with all my lab equipment -- yes, I will never again take these things for granted. My plan of action after returning home? Well, it will probably be hunting down a slew of victims and hooking them up to my apparatus to refill the blood stores that I will most certainly be emptying. Gods, I am thirsty. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 10 : Urias
34789639.png
I am in a box.

Worse, I am in a box also filled with books, which slide around and collide into me as the box is carried inconspicuously through a crowd on the shoulders of three librarians. Certainly I have been in worse situations -- yet it is still very hard not to utter a curse everytime one of those blasted tomes wedge into me.

How did it come to this? I am a Blood Mage! I could blaze a path lined with corpses straight to the portal, all of this sneaking be d*mned. Yet, that would be incredibly wasteful, and furthermore, it is admittedly my own fault we’re all here. And so, I sacrifice my dignity to be shuttled through the crowd amidst a box of books. If anyone asks, Solaris insists she came across important historical Shifting Expanse tomes that simply had to be added to her Archives at home. This is not even a lie -- Solaris likely values these dusty things more highly than my wellbeing. But at least she does value me enough to put together this plan, unpleasant though it may be.

And if the books ruse fails, the path of corpses can be the fallback plan.

I am, admittedly, more than a little eager to be back to my cellars. After dismantling the failed project that was Encryption, I was forced to flee and hole up in a cave while the dragons of Brightwing busied themselves with rescuing the missing Imperial and didn’t have the time to chase me down. And in that cave I have remained, more or less, stepping out only to hunt or to gather supplies for whatever crude experiments I could manage. My cellars may be dark and solitary enough, but this? This pushed my sanity to its very limits.

But to be back in my cellars, with all my lab equipment -- yes, I will never again take these things for granted. My plan of action after returning home? Well, it will probably be hunting down a slew of victims and hooking them up to my apparatus to refill the blood stores that I will most certainly be emptying.

Gods, I am thirsty.
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
Oh... ouch. Still a cliffhanger, but I guess nothing completely catastrophic happened. But to Urias´ situation - that certainly does sound very unpleasant. And while technically, his experiment is at fault for this, one could argue that the clan shunning Urias and not providing any resources that may have been used for security measures is not a very wise decision on their part, either.

Oh, but that reminds me... has Urias ever come across a true, natural draconic vampire? Have you, for that matter? There is this fresh subspecies that looks just stunning with nice, open ended lore...
Oh... ouch. Still a cliffhanger, but I guess nothing completely catastrophic happened. But to Urias´ situation - that certainly does sound very unpleasant. And while technically, his experiment is at fault for this, one could argue that the clan shunning Urias and not providing any resources that may have been used for security measures is not a very wise decision on their part, either.

Oh, but that reminds me... has Urias ever come across a true, natural draconic vampire? Have you, for that matter? There is this fresh subspecies that looks just stunning with nice, open ended lore...
[center]~ ~~~ [b][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Day 11 :[/b] [/font][/size][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Shezarni[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=35356243] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/353563/35356243.png[/img] [/url] [/center][/size][/font] [indent][i][size=5][font=Century Gothic]I didn’t expect anything to get out of hand. After all, we finally had our portal home - and on top of that, I’d just watched my father take out a thunderstorm. (As if I didn’t already have big enough shoes to fill!) After all of that craziness, well, the worse had to be behind us, right? As I helped the Night Guard traffic the citizens of Brightwing to the portal as calmly as possible, I figured that all I had to do was keep dragons from trampling one another and everything would be fine. But seeing Solaris leading her two assistants carrying a suspiciously large box raised several alarm flags. “What’ve you got there?” I addressed the librarian with a smile designed to keep her guard lowered. She kept composed, explaining in a flat tone that she had collected valuable tomes that she wished to bring to the Archives. It was a plausible excuse, of course. Preserving knowledge was her job. And I might have fallen for it were the box not so suspiciously dragon-sized. Specifically, skydancer-sized. I stared at it for a moment, and felt certainty deep in my gut. He was in there: the one dragon that was not supposed to come back with us. I had no exact proof -- yet somehow, I just knew. I looked back at Solaris, considering the situation. It would be easy to alert the guards, of course. They were on the lookout for this very thing. All I had to do was speak up. And yet… I’d seen it happen: Veritas and Urias, stepping past their differences and working together toward a common goal. They’d dispatched Encryption together. The idea had nested itself into my brain since then: how much better would the Blood Mage be as an ally? To stay silent would mean betraying many of those who trusted me, of course. My father. My clan. And of course, Veritas. Him especially. If he ever found out? I wouldn’t fool myself: our relationship would be over for good this time. And yet I felt myself nodding and waving the librarians on. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] This entry I took my time writing because it shows a key difference between Shezarni and Hasil - one that might have a ripple effect in the future if she becomes Clan Leader after him...
~
~~~
Day 11 : Shezarni
35356243.png
I didn’t expect anything to get out of hand. After all, we finally had our portal home - and on top of that, I’d just watched my father take out a thunderstorm. (As if I didn’t already have big enough shoes to fill!)

After all of that craziness, well, the worse had to be behind us, right? As I helped the Night Guard traffic the citizens of Brightwing to the portal as calmly as possible, I figured that all I had to do was keep dragons from trampling one another and everything would be fine.

But seeing Solaris leading her two assistants carrying a suspiciously large box raised several alarm flags.

“What’ve you got there?” I addressed the librarian with a smile designed to keep her guard lowered. She kept composed, explaining in a flat tone that she had collected valuable tomes that she wished to bring to the Archives. It was a plausible excuse, of course. Preserving knowledge was her job. And I might have fallen for it were the box not so suspiciously dragon-sized.

Specifically, skydancer-sized.

I stared at it for a moment, and felt certainty deep in my gut. He was in there: the one dragon that was not supposed to come back with us. I had no exact proof -- yet somehow, I just knew.

I looked back at Solaris, considering the situation. It would be easy to alert the guards, of course. They were on the lookout for this very thing. All I had to do was speak up.

And yet… I’d seen it happen: Veritas and Urias, stepping past their differences and working together toward a common goal. They’d dispatched Encryption together. The idea had nested itself into my brain since then: how much better would the Blood Mage be as an ally?

To stay silent would mean betraying many of those who trusted me, of course. My father. My clan. And of course, Veritas. Him especially. If he ever found out? I wouldn’t fool myself: our relationship would be over for good this time.

And yet I felt myself nodding and waving the librarians on.
~~~
~

This entry I took my time writing because it shows a key difference between Shezarni and Hasil - one that might have a ripple effect in the future if she becomes Clan Leader after him...
TpW6gwi.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15