Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Antiquis (Story)
1 2 3 4 5 6
@WolfLionHeart, @QueenAri, @LeaDurnane, @Vexorianite
Sorry to ping without posting another chapter.

I'm going to be out for the next few days, and during the times when I could write on the computer, a family member is hogging the space where I can set it up, which means I don't have much time to write. Unfortunately it also makes me feel less inclined to write, because every time I want to (or close enough), there is something stopping me. It's rather discouraging.

Hopefully I should have the next chapter up by the end of the week, though ;)
@WolfLionHeart, @QueenAri, @LeaDurnane, @Vexorianite
Sorry to ping without posting another chapter.

I'm going to be out for the next few days, and during the times when I could write on the computer, a family member is hogging the space where I can set it up, which means I don't have much time to write. Unfortunately it also makes me feel less inclined to write, because every time I want to (or close enough), there is something stopping me. It's rather discouraging.

Hopefully I should have the next chapter up by the end of the week, though ;)
Please click on my babies!
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
(@SallyJane all good :) )
(@SallyJane all good :) )
vbbOqn.png
Chapter Six

“So,” Glifieu said as they pushed through the trees, “what makes you think Swiftwing will have any answers?”
___Isis didn’t look at him. “Just do.”
___He grabbed her arm, stopping her. “Isis…”
___She shrugged him off. “Glifieu.”
___“Isis. Don’t lie to me. Why do you think Swiftwing knows what’s going on? Or at least has an idea? Come on, Isis. I was under the impression we didn’t keep secrets from each other, unless they were strictly personal, or we had been told not to share them.”
___She shrugged uncomfortably. “Someone suggested I talk to her. So I am.”
___“Who?”
___She didn’t answer.
___“Come on. Why won’t you tell me?”
___“Because you’ll probably think this is a trap,” she replied tartly, swiping a branch out of her way.
___“I doubt that. Unless it is a trap. So who was it?”
___“Lazuli.”
___He made a choking sound. “She told you to go to Swiftwing? And you don’t think this is misdirection at the very least?”
___“She seemed perfectly sincere.”
___“Right. You don’t even know the full extent of her abilities. What if she’s powerful enough to fool you? What if this is a trap?”
___She shook her head angrily. “No-one lies to me without being caught. This is why I didn’t want to tell you in the first place. You’re overreacting.” She thought her reply was partially pride fuelled, but that didn’t stop her.
___“No. I’m not.” Glifieu’s voice was firm and full of certainty.
___“Yes you are!”
___“I’m being plenty cautious!”
___“You are-”
___“Who is it?” a voice asked. They had reached the territory of the unicorns. “Please state your intentions.”
___“Isis and Glifieu. We’ve come to talk to Swiftwing,” Isis said quickly.
___“Isis,” Glifieu growled, “we need to-”
___A disembodied face appeared. “Is that so? Well. I suppose you may as well come through, and we’ll see if you’re who you say you are.”
___“Isis-” Glifieu reached for her and missed. She continued forward, and felt a familiar sensation, like a mild electric shock as she passed through the invisible barrier.
___“Hmm, yes… Alright, you too.” The unicorn beckoned Glifieu onward. He came, scowling heavily.
___The unicorn became fully visible. His voice, which had been skeptical and uninviting, warmed. “Hello! I’m Mamba! It’s wonderful to meet the pair of you!” His ears were pricked forward, and he was practically dancing on the spot.
___Their eyes widened as he came properly into view. His coat was scaled green, just like the body of a green mamba. He had no mane, and his tail was that of a snake or lizard. His horn wasn’t visible either, but he radiated magic in a way that only unicorns or winged unicorns did.
___He noticed the expressions on their faces and forced out a nervous sounding laugh. “Ah yeah… Strange choice, I know? What with Devi and all that. But scales are beautiful, and I wanted to be unique. Everyone’s parading around as dragons these days, and there’s still crocodiles about. But you know what they say - don’t judge a horse by their coat!”
___When they didn’t respond, he sighed. “Right, well. I’ll let you get on with, um, yes. Off you go.”
___They gave him one last glance and headed off.
___“I don’t like the look of him,” Glifieu muttered.
___Isis shrugged uncomfortably. “We can mention him to Swiftwing when we see her.”
___Glifieu pursed his lips and didn’t reply.
___Several minutes later, sounds of whinnying and splashing reached their ears, and they found themselves in a clearing.
___The grass at the edge of the clearing was frosted, and crunched under their feet. Running through the clearing was a creek, in which a filly and a colt were splashing about. Some older horses grazed on the banks, and two fillies were watching their friends in the water.
___“I don’t get how either of you can stand the water,” one of the fillies grumbled, peering in. “It’s freezing.” Resting on her back was a pair of wings, and poking from her forehead was a horn.
___The colt snorted. “Rain, have you heard of a little thing we like to call magic?”
___“Indeed I have,” Rain replied. “But there are some things even magic can’t fix. And you shouldn’t be completely dependent on it, either.”
___The filly next to her snorted. “Because you can’t use magic everywhere. Sometimes all you have is common sense and a brain.”
___“Well, I can’t say they have common sense in abundance,” Rain said with a snort. “But they certainly have brains.”
___“Says the filly who organised a play with Tiki and Hibiscus at the wonderful but extremely unprotected Kaimana Falls,” Swiftwing commented drily through a mouthful of grass. Noticing Isis and Glifieu, she beckoned them over with a wave of her wing. “What’s your problem this time?” she asked, almost seeming to raise an eyebrow.
___“What makes you think we have a problem?” Glifieu demanded.
___“You only ever visit when you have a problem. And you smell of them.” Swiftwing took another bite of grass.
___“We’ve got a couple,” Isis said, shushing Glifieu. “We thought that Mamba, one of the guards, seemed a bit odd.”
___Rain’s head shot up, ears pricked, and Swiftwing let out a chuckling whinny. “He is a bit, but not in the way you think, despite his appearance or his name. No need to worry about him. What was the other one?”
___“If you say so. The other one’s more… complicated. Have you heard of a girl called Lazuli? She –”
___Swiftwing cut her off with a slash of her wing. “That is something to talk about in private,” she warned, serious. “Come with me.”
___She lead them through the trees, away from the others. Isis could sense her concentration as she cast spells to prevent eavesdroppers.
___“How do you know of her?” Swiftwing hissed, when she was sure no-one could hear them.
___“There’s this homeschoolers’ group that we’ve started going to. It’s on every Thursday during school term,” Isis explained. Sensing Swiftwing’s impatience, she got to the point. “Anyway, she comes to this group. At first we thought she was a bit odd, but today there was this explosion. I didn’t see much of what happened, but I do know almost everyone was fatally injured. And now they’re walking around, happy as Larry, with their minds wiped. And there was this dead man there, too. I have no idea what happened to him – perhaps he got hit by shrapnel from the blast, although, I must say, that’s not what it looked like. More like he was attacked with a weapon of some sort. Also…” she hesitated, frowning, “There were these strange gouges in the ground, like when a dragon takes off, except, all the dragons are four-legged, right? Whatever took off had two legs – a bit like a bird – I mean, who knows what’s possible? There could be a bird the size of a bus, right?” She chewed her lip, embarrassed about what she was going to say next. “Um, and I used my dragon strength at one point – sort of grabbed Lazuli – she pushed me off as though I wasn’t even there. I think Jamyn’s involved too.” One of the advantages of her gift was that she didn’t need to explain who Jamyn was to Swiftwing. The one simple sentence had been sufficient.
___Swiftwing sort of nodded her head, wings shifting as she absorbed everything Isis had said. She tipped her head, almost seeming to frown. “You revealed your dragon strength?” she demanded.
___Isis bit her lip. “Not on purpose. I got angry and – it just happened.”
___Swiftwing shifted uneasily. “And you think there was a dragon involved?”
___Isis shrugged uncertainly. “Maybe, but I feel as though if there was a dragon, there would be more signs. It’s as though one of them landed and took off again, which I’m certain they wouldn’t do.”
___“Well, out of all of us, you probably know the dragons best,” Swiftwing mused. Glifieu grunted. “Isis, do you recall the dagger you found last time you were here?”
___Isis blinked at the sudden change of topic. “Um, maybe… I’m not sure. It certainly rings a bell.”
___“Well,” Swiftwing began, “we took that dagger for safekeeping. Not long after, a little while before the spring equinox, we had a visitor.”
___“Let me guess – Lazuli,” Glifieu said, raising an eyebrow.
___Swiftwing bobbed her head. “Yes. She turned up one day, out of the blue, somehow having gotten through our boundaries. She was quite nice, actually. Anyway, she took the dagger back, explaining that she was here to claim it, as it belonged to her race. Of course, I was skeptical, but she managed to convince me, although I am still besieged by doubts from time to time. She said those of us who touched it were lucky it wasn’t still, ah, bound to anyone, as it would have killed us.”
___“Sounds like a load of rubbish and fear mongering to me,” Glifieu muttered.
___Swiftwing flexed a wing by way of a shrug. “Perhaps, although I sincerely doubt it. I do not believe Lazuli is a liar.”
___Glifieu snorted derisively.
___“So, we shouldn’t be worried by or about Lazuli, then?” Isis asked, keen to get the facts straight.
___“She’s no threat, however, I cannot say if she should worry you or not. Perhaps worry for her.”
___Glifieu raised a skeptical eyebrow. “Whatever for?” His tone was full of disdain for Lazuli.
___Swiftwing swung her head around, as though fearing intruders, despite the spells. Isis glared at him. “If she dies,” Swiftwing murmured, “the whole universe will descend into chaos.”
___Isis frowned. “She mentioned something about someone wanting to kill her, and implied that if they succeeded, there would be a Hunger Games like dystopia and possibly a war.” She recalled.
___Glifieu raised a second eyebrow to join the other in its elevated position.
___Swiftwing lowered her head a little. “Yes… I’ve had essentially no contact with her for the past ten or eleven moons, and I was getting rather concerned that something had happened to her. I am glad to hear that she is at least alive. I take it that she is okay?”
___“Maybe,” Isis replied. “Did she have a limp last time you saw her?”
___Swiftwing tipped her head so far it almost reached a ninety-degree angle. “No, she most certainly did not. Did she appear otherwise unharmed?”
___“I think so.”
___“One moment.” Glifieu raised a finger. “She sound like she’s a magic user.”
___“She is indeed. Quite proficient in it, I might add.”
___He and Isis frowned. “She seemed to have a touch of magic about her, but I never saw a sign of it,” Glifieu commented.
___“Not even at the explosion – hang on, what about the mind wipe?” Isis said. Swiftwing shook her head.
___“No, mind wiping does not require you to even have an aptitude for magic, let alone use it. It sounds to me as though she does not or cannot use her magic, for some reason. I know she can, though, for I have seen her do so multiple times. Or perhaps she has had her magic stolen…” Swiftwing’s tone was thoughtful, but not without a touch of fear.
___Glifieu was so astonished that he forgot he didn’t care about Lazuli. “Stolen?!” he demanded incredulously. “But I thought…” he trailed off, looking puzzled.
___“Well… I don’t know about stolen as such. That sort of implies that someone takes it for themselves, which they cannot. But someone can cause you to lose it. I’m not sure how that works. One of us can lock it, if we are powerful enough to do so, or through the use of certain runes.”
___“I do not believe so, in this sort of case at any rate. Because you and Glifieu were gifted your magic, if you were to lose it or it was taken from you, you could quite likely get it back, unless someone or something prevented that. But if your magic is like that of us winged unicorns and unicorns, once it’s gone, it’s gone. The same applies to Lazuli and her race. It is a literal part of you. You cannot heal that sort of wound.”
___Isis wasn’t sure if Swiftwing was referring to a physical wound or a psychological wound. “That would be really bad for Lazuli, if she has lost her magic,” she said, dismayed at even the thought.
___“Yes,” Swiftwing agreed. “But I sincerely doubt she has lost her magic. Quite likely she doesn’t use it in public without good reason. Even the weakest magic-bearer is nigh on impossible for the most powerful to relieve them of their magic. And Lazuli is extremely powerful to say the least. No, I’m sure she’s fine. Although, I would like to know how she acquired that limp.”
___Isis felt as though there was something else she was missing, but couldn’t recall what it was. Before she could mention the fact, Glifieu spoke up.
___“Right,” he muttered. “And that’s all you need to tell us? Nothing else we should know about?”
___“Oh, there’s plenty more you should know, but that’s all I have to tell you at present, I think.”
___They turned to go. “Well, thanks,” Glifieu said, not sounding anywhere near as annoyed as he had earlier.
___“One moment,” Swiftwing said. They paused. “Do me a favour, will you? Don’t forget - Lazuli’s a friend. Remember that now.”
___“Don’t worry,” Isis replied. “We will.”
___And they certainly would. However, Isis fully intended to have a word with Lazuli next time she saw her. She was not at all happy about the mind-wipe, although she understood it.
___It was around midnight when they reached the house. She sighed. They were going to be tired in the morning.

@QueenAri, @Vexorianite, @WolfLionHeart, @LeaDurnane

Here we go at last. A new chapter! Yay! This one's a kinda long one lol. Have fun with it.

Sorry it wasn't completed about a week ago - I was doing an extracurricular activity for 3 days at the beginning of the week, and it took up pretty much all my time.

Hope you're all okay :)
Chapter Six

“So,” Glifieu said as they pushed through the trees, “what makes you think Swiftwing will have any answers?”
___Isis didn’t look at him. “Just do.”
___He grabbed her arm, stopping her. “Isis…”
___She shrugged him off. “Glifieu.”
___“Isis. Don’t lie to me. Why do you think Swiftwing knows what’s going on? Or at least has an idea? Come on, Isis. I was under the impression we didn’t keep secrets from each other, unless they were strictly personal, or we had been told not to share them.”
___She shrugged uncomfortably. “Someone suggested I talk to her. So I am.”
___“Who?”
___She didn’t answer.
___“Come on. Why won’t you tell me?”
___“Because you’ll probably think this is a trap,” she replied tartly, swiping a branch out of her way.
___“I doubt that. Unless it is a trap. So who was it?”
___“Lazuli.”
___He made a choking sound. “She told you to go to Swiftwing? And you don’t think this is misdirection at the very least?”
___“She seemed perfectly sincere.”
___“Right. You don’t even know the full extent of her abilities. What if she’s powerful enough to fool you? What if this is a trap?”
___She shook her head angrily. “No-one lies to me without being caught. This is why I didn’t want to tell you in the first place. You’re overreacting.” She thought her reply was partially pride fuelled, but that didn’t stop her.
___“No. I’m not.” Glifieu’s voice was firm and full of certainty.
___“Yes you are!”
___“I’m being plenty cautious!”
___“You are-”
___“Who is it?” a voice asked. They had reached the territory of the unicorns. “Please state your intentions.”
___“Isis and Glifieu. We’ve come to talk to Swiftwing,” Isis said quickly.
___“Isis,” Glifieu growled, “we need to-”
___A disembodied face appeared. “Is that so? Well. I suppose you may as well come through, and we’ll see if you’re who you say you are.”
___“Isis-” Glifieu reached for her and missed. She continued forward, and felt a familiar sensation, like a mild electric shock as she passed through the invisible barrier.
___“Hmm, yes… Alright, you too.” The unicorn beckoned Glifieu onward. He came, scowling heavily.
___The unicorn became fully visible. His voice, which had been skeptical and uninviting, warmed. “Hello! I’m Mamba! It’s wonderful to meet the pair of you!” His ears were pricked forward, and he was practically dancing on the spot.
___Their eyes widened as he came properly into view. His coat was scaled green, just like the body of a green mamba. He had no mane, and his tail was that of a snake or lizard. His horn wasn’t visible either, but he radiated magic in a way that only unicorns or winged unicorns did.
___He noticed the expressions on their faces and forced out a nervous sounding laugh. “Ah yeah… Strange choice, I know? What with Devi and all that. But scales are beautiful, and I wanted to be unique. Everyone’s parading around as dragons these days, and there’s still crocodiles about. But you know what they say - don’t judge a horse by their coat!”
___When they didn’t respond, he sighed. “Right, well. I’ll let you get on with, um, yes. Off you go.”
___They gave him one last glance and headed off.
___“I don’t like the look of him,” Glifieu muttered.
___Isis shrugged uncomfortably. “We can mention him to Swiftwing when we see her.”
___Glifieu pursed his lips and didn’t reply.
___Several minutes later, sounds of whinnying and splashing reached their ears, and they found themselves in a clearing.
___The grass at the edge of the clearing was frosted, and crunched under their feet. Running through the clearing was a creek, in which a filly and a colt were splashing about. Some older horses grazed on the banks, and two fillies were watching their friends in the water.
___“I don’t get how either of you can stand the water,” one of the fillies grumbled, peering in. “It’s freezing.” Resting on her back was a pair of wings, and poking from her forehead was a horn.
___The colt snorted. “Rain, have you heard of a little thing we like to call magic?”
___“Indeed I have,” Rain replied. “But there are some things even magic can’t fix. And you shouldn’t be completely dependent on it, either.”
___The filly next to her snorted. “Because you can’t use magic everywhere. Sometimes all you have is common sense and a brain.”
___“Well, I can’t say they have common sense in abundance,” Rain said with a snort. “But they certainly have brains.”
___“Says the filly who organised a play with Tiki and Hibiscus at the wonderful but extremely unprotected Kaimana Falls,” Swiftwing commented drily through a mouthful of grass. Noticing Isis and Glifieu, she beckoned them over with a wave of her wing. “What’s your problem this time?” she asked, almost seeming to raise an eyebrow.
___“What makes you think we have a problem?” Glifieu demanded.
___“You only ever visit when you have a problem. And you smell of them.” Swiftwing took another bite of grass.
___“We’ve got a couple,” Isis said, shushing Glifieu. “We thought that Mamba, one of the guards, seemed a bit odd.”
___Rain’s head shot up, ears pricked, and Swiftwing let out a chuckling whinny. “He is a bit, but not in the way you think, despite his appearance or his name. No need to worry about him. What was the other one?”
___“If you say so. The other one’s more… complicated. Have you heard of a girl called Lazuli? She –”
___Swiftwing cut her off with a slash of her wing. “That is something to talk about in private,” she warned, serious. “Come with me.”
___She lead them through the trees, away from the others. Isis could sense her concentration as she cast spells to prevent eavesdroppers.
___“How do you know of her?” Swiftwing hissed, when she was sure no-one could hear them.
___“There’s this homeschoolers’ group that we’ve started going to. It’s on every Thursday during school term,” Isis explained. Sensing Swiftwing’s impatience, she got to the point. “Anyway, she comes to this group. At first we thought she was a bit odd, but today there was this explosion. I didn’t see much of what happened, but I do know almost everyone was fatally injured. And now they’re walking around, happy as Larry, with their minds wiped. And there was this dead man there, too. I have no idea what happened to him – perhaps he got hit by shrapnel from the blast, although, I must say, that’s not what it looked like. More like he was attacked with a weapon of some sort. Also…” she hesitated, frowning, “There were these strange gouges in the ground, like when a dragon takes off, except, all the dragons are four-legged, right? Whatever took off had two legs – a bit like a bird – I mean, who knows what’s possible? There could be a bird the size of a bus, right?” She chewed her lip, embarrassed about what she was going to say next. “Um, and I used my dragon strength at one point – sort of grabbed Lazuli – she pushed me off as though I wasn’t even there. I think Jamyn’s involved too.” One of the advantages of her gift was that she didn’t need to explain who Jamyn was to Swiftwing. The one simple sentence had been sufficient.
___Swiftwing sort of nodded her head, wings shifting as she absorbed everything Isis had said. She tipped her head, almost seeming to frown. “You revealed your dragon strength?” she demanded.
___Isis bit her lip. “Not on purpose. I got angry and – it just happened.”
___Swiftwing shifted uneasily. “And you think there was a dragon involved?”
___Isis shrugged uncertainly. “Maybe, but I feel as though if there was a dragon, there would be more signs. It’s as though one of them landed and took off again, which I’m certain they wouldn’t do.”
___“Well, out of all of us, you probably know the dragons best,” Swiftwing mused. Glifieu grunted. “Isis, do you recall the dagger you found last time you were here?”
___Isis blinked at the sudden change of topic. “Um, maybe… I’m not sure. It certainly rings a bell.”
___“Well,” Swiftwing began, “we took that dagger for safekeeping. Not long after, a little while before the spring equinox, we had a visitor.”
___“Let me guess – Lazuli,” Glifieu said, raising an eyebrow.
___Swiftwing bobbed her head. “Yes. She turned up one day, out of the blue, somehow having gotten through our boundaries. She was quite nice, actually. Anyway, she took the dagger back, explaining that she was here to claim it, as it belonged to her race. Of course, I was skeptical, but she managed to convince me, although I am still besieged by doubts from time to time. She said those of us who touched it were lucky it wasn’t still, ah, bound to anyone, as it would have killed us.”
___“Sounds like a load of rubbish and fear mongering to me,” Glifieu muttered.
___Swiftwing flexed a wing by way of a shrug. “Perhaps, although I sincerely doubt it. I do not believe Lazuli is a liar.”
___Glifieu snorted derisively.
___“So, we shouldn’t be worried by or about Lazuli, then?” Isis asked, keen to get the facts straight.
___“She’s no threat, however, I cannot say if she should worry you or not. Perhaps worry for her.”
___Glifieu raised a skeptical eyebrow. “Whatever for?” His tone was full of disdain for Lazuli.
___Swiftwing swung her head around, as though fearing intruders, despite the spells. Isis glared at him. “If she dies,” Swiftwing murmured, “the whole universe will descend into chaos.”
___Isis frowned. “She mentioned something about someone wanting to kill her, and implied that if they succeeded, there would be a Hunger Games like dystopia and possibly a war.” She recalled.
___Glifieu raised a second eyebrow to join the other in its elevated position.
___Swiftwing lowered her head a little. “Yes… I’ve had essentially no contact with her for the past ten or eleven moons, and I was getting rather concerned that something had happened to her. I am glad to hear that she is at least alive. I take it that she is okay?”
___“Maybe,” Isis replied. “Did she have a limp last time you saw her?”
___Swiftwing tipped her head so far it almost reached a ninety-degree angle. “No, she most certainly did not. Did she appear otherwise unharmed?”
___“I think so.”
___“One moment.” Glifieu raised a finger. “She sound like she’s a magic user.”
___“She is indeed. Quite proficient in it, I might add.”
___He and Isis frowned. “She seemed to have a touch of magic about her, but I never saw a sign of it,” Glifieu commented.
___“Not even at the explosion – hang on, what about the mind wipe?” Isis said. Swiftwing shook her head.
___“No, mind wiping does not require you to even have an aptitude for magic, let alone use it. It sounds to me as though she does not or cannot use her magic, for some reason. I know she can, though, for I have seen her do so multiple times. Or perhaps she has had her magic stolen…” Swiftwing’s tone was thoughtful, but not without a touch of fear.
___Glifieu was so astonished that he forgot he didn’t care about Lazuli. “Stolen?!” he demanded incredulously. “But I thought…” he trailed off, looking puzzled.
___“Well… I don’t know about stolen as such. That sort of implies that someone takes it for themselves, which they cannot. But someone can cause you to lose it. I’m not sure how that works. One of us can lock it, if we are powerful enough to do so, or through the use of certain runes.”
___“I do not believe so, in this sort of case at any rate. Because you and Glifieu were gifted your magic, if you were to lose it or it was taken from you, you could quite likely get it back, unless someone or something prevented that. But if your magic is like that of us winged unicorns and unicorns, once it’s gone, it’s gone. The same applies to Lazuli and her race. It is a literal part of you. You cannot heal that sort of wound.”
___Isis wasn’t sure if Swiftwing was referring to a physical wound or a psychological wound. “That would be really bad for Lazuli, if she has lost her magic,” she said, dismayed at even the thought.
___“Yes,” Swiftwing agreed. “But I sincerely doubt she has lost her magic. Quite likely she doesn’t use it in public without good reason. Even the weakest magic-bearer is nigh on impossible for the most powerful to relieve them of their magic. And Lazuli is extremely powerful to say the least. No, I’m sure she’s fine. Although, I would like to know how she acquired that limp.”
___Isis felt as though there was something else she was missing, but couldn’t recall what it was. Before she could mention the fact, Glifieu spoke up.
___“Right,” he muttered. “And that’s all you need to tell us? Nothing else we should know about?”
___“Oh, there’s plenty more you should know, but that’s all I have to tell you at present, I think.”
___They turned to go. “Well, thanks,” Glifieu said, not sounding anywhere near as annoyed as he had earlier.
___“One moment,” Swiftwing said. They paused. “Do me a favour, will you? Don’t forget - Lazuli’s a friend. Remember that now.”
___“Don’t worry,” Isis replied. “We will.”
___And they certainly would. However, Isis fully intended to have a word with Lazuli next time she saw her. She was not at all happy about the mind-wipe, although she understood it.
___It was around midnight when they reached the house. She sighed. They were going to be tired in the morning.

@QueenAri, @Vexorianite, @WolfLionHeart, @LeaDurnane

Here we go at last. A new chapter! Yay! This one's a kinda long one lol. Have fun with it.

Sorry it wasn't completed about a week ago - I was doing an extracurricular activity for 3 days at the beginning of the week, and it took up pretty much all my time.

Hope you're all okay :)
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
(Awesome, I love it! Very creative in the way that you represent the unicorns - not just as boring old horses!
Intrigued to find out what happens next... wondering if Mamba was possible the attacker... also the way that SwiftWing claims that "he is a bit odd but not in the way you think", and Rain shows interest when Mamba is mentioned.
Lol. Don't mind me, just thinking out some conspiracy theories)
(Awesome, I love it! Very creative in the way that you represent the unicorns - not just as boring old horses!
Intrigued to find out what happens next... wondering if Mamba was possible the attacker... also the way that SwiftWing claims that "he is a bit odd but not in the way you think", and Rain shows interest when Mamba is mentioned.
Lol. Don't mind me, just thinking out some conspiracy theories)
vbbOqn.png
(Also all good, I would much rather wait for a quality chapter, than have you stress and rush :) )
(Also all good, I would much rather wait for a quality chapter, than have you stress and rush :) )
vbbOqn.png
@WolfLionHeart ooo, conspiracy theories!!
@WolfLionHeart ooo, conspiracy theories!!
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
(SallyJane lol)
(SallyJane lol)
vbbOqn.png
~Chapter Seven~

Lazuli almost took Ben’s head off. “You moron,” she said, sheathing her Hathiyaar.
___“So you keep saying,” Ben replied amiably.
___“Because it’s true,” she growled.
___He shrugged and gave her a hug. “Happy birthday. Only three more years to go.”
___Despite herself, she smiled. “Thanks. It’s beginning to look somewhat promising, isn’t it?”
___“It is,” he grinned. “But I’m just happy that we have a day of peace.”
___She rolled her eyes at him. “You could sound a little more enthusiastic about my birthday, you know.”
___He shrugged again. “And what’s the point in that?”
___“At least being convincing when pretending to love me,” she sniffed.
___He wrapped him arm around her shoulder, pulling her into him. “Do I need to be convincing if it’s true?”
___“Weeell… If you want the other person to believe you, I would say so, yes.”
___He switched from English to their birth tongue. “I love you and I wish you a very happy birthday.” Back to English, “How’s that?”
___She grinned and replied in the second language, “Perfect.”
___The stood there for a while, one arm around the other’s waist, watching the horizon as they waited for the sun to rise.
___Even as a soft glow of light began to peak up over the horizon, the ground began to rumble beneath their feet, as though there was a nearby stampede.
___“Right on time,” Lazuli said with a smile.
___The rumbling grew louder, until what could possibly be called a stampede of sorts appeared. It was made up of lions, leopards, cheetahs, impala, zebras, springbok, hyenas, oryx, gazelles, and largely animals that were fleet of foot, several of which you wouldn’t see anywhere on Earth.
___They stopped when they got to Ben and Lazuli, their forms changing back to dark-skinned humans.
___One of them, a girl of about sixteen, dashed forward and wrapped Lazuli in a hug. Setting her down, she said in the common tongue, “Happy birthday! I hope you have a good one!” She released a smiling Lazuli from her grasp.
___“Hey, look at that,” Ben said. “She goes into the hug sullen faced and comes out looking like someone stuck a ray of sunshine to her face. I think you need to hug her more often, Tamala.”
___Lazuli glared at Ben. “Do me a favour and shut up for once.”
___Grinning, Ben shook his head. “Not happening. The only time I shut up is when I’m asleep.”
___“No you don’t. You snore when you’re sleeping.”
___“The only time he ever shuts up is when I tell him to,” Poppy said, dropping her hands onto his shoulders. “Isn’t that right?” She craned her neck so that she could see one side of his face.
___“Ummm…”
___Lazuli snorted and rolled her eyes. “Cat got your tongue, brother dear?”
___“No… A ferocious little flower,” he grumbled.
___“Well, the ferocious little flower wants you to come with her and help her down this way.” Poppy hooked her arms into his and dragged him after her.
___Lazuli and Tamala watched them. “I think he needs help,” Tamala commented. “We’ll help him later, right?”
___Lazuli rolled her eyes. “It depends on how much he needs help. He should be able to handle whatever Poppy throws at him.”
___Tamala nodded. “So… What are your plans this time?”
___Lazuli chewed her lip. “Not sure. I guess I’ll just watch you and cheer you on. And whoever else I want to win.”
___“That doesn’t sound like much fun, really.” Tamala said. “It would be wonderful if you participated. I mean, you could at least do hand to hand combat, couldn’t you?”
___Lazuli shrugged uncomfortably. “I could… But I think I’d rather do all the things I wanted to do, rather than just one or two I can do, I guess. I mean, maybe that’s my pride talking, but… I’m really not in the mood for anything much.”
___Tamala nodded sympathetically. “If I were in your place, I image I’d feel the same way you do now.”
___“Yeah… What will you be doing?”
___“Brawling, hand to hand combat and what is essentially a footrace.” Tamala replied.
___“Unless you’re a snake,” Lazuli replied. “Or some other footless creature. Although, none of them are naturally very fast, so it’s probably just going to be feet. This race is discriminating those without feet?” She shoot her fist in mock anger and giggled.
___Tamala shook her head seriously. “Discrimination is no laughing matter. Wipe that smile off your face at once!”
___“Yes ma’am,” Lazuli said, assuming a blank expression.
___After a moment Tamala had to laugh. The “ma’am” had been over the top – the Antiqui had no use for honorifics. Apart from perhaps when addressing the queen.
___That was enough for Lazuli to start laughing again. It wasn’t that funny, really. Yet it was a few minutes before either she or Tamala could stand up straight.

Sumsu glanced to where his daughter and Lazuli were bent almost double with laughter. “It is good to see that she is laughing,” he said in his deep voice.
___“Yes…” Dreyr murmured. “Hopefully she will continue to laugh in the future. It’s a dark world, and she’ll need to be able to laugh.”
___“Perhaps I should just leave my daughter with you? She certainly seems to be happy enough here, and she is cheering Lazuli up too.”
___Dreyr smiled. “Or maybe you could take Lazuli with you. I’m certain there’s something you know that I don’t which could be invaluable to her.”
___“What? You want us to give away all our secrets for the future queen?” Sumsu gasped in mock horror. “Never!”
___“She is the future queen. I’m fairly certain she’s allowed to demand you teach her.”
___“We have gone thousands of generations without being watched over by a queen! We might just change our minds about starting now.”
___Realising that they were drifting toward a topic one might call “politics”, they paused.
___“Mmm, yes,” Dreyr said, for no reason other than he felt he should be saying something. Then, thinking he should at least get the talk going again, “Give it an hour and this place will be absolutely crowded.”
___Sumsu nodded. “Extremely crowded, I take it. Ought to be interesting. At least there’s no chance of an actual ‘let me kill you’ fight today.”
___“And thank goodness for that,” Dreyr murmured.
___“Hmm…”
___A moment later, the meagre dawn light was blocked out. Looking up, Dreyr saw a large flock of giant white birds. “More visitors,” he said as their forms changed back to human. “Lucky us.”
___He hurried off to see who it was exactly who had arrived. It was always a good idea to check.
@LeaDurnane @WolfLionHeart @QueenAri @Vexorianite

I haven't actually written the next chapter yet, but I'm feeling reckless, so... Er. Take this?

Anyway, Isis and Co. don’t really belong in the story. And I’ll have to cause some sort of event that boots them from this story. (Don’t worry, I won’t kill them)

~Chapter Seven~

Lazuli almost took Ben’s head off. “You moron,” she said, sheathing her Hathiyaar.
___“So you keep saying,” Ben replied amiably.
___“Because it’s true,” she growled.
___He shrugged and gave her a hug. “Happy birthday. Only three more years to go.”
___Despite herself, she smiled. “Thanks. It’s beginning to look somewhat promising, isn’t it?”
___“It is,” he grinned. “But I’m just happy that we have a day of peace.”
___She rolled her eyes at him. “You could sound a little more enthusiastic about my birthday, you know.”
___He shrugged again. “And what’s the point in that?”
___“At least being convincing when pretending to love me,” she sniffed.
___He wrapped him arm around her shoulder, pulling her into him. “Do I need to be convincing if it’s true?”
___“Weeell… If you want the other person to believe you, I would say so, yes.”
___He switched from English to their birth tongue. “I love you and I wish you a very happy birthday.” Back to English, “How’s that?”
___She grinned and replied in the second language, “Perfect.”
___The stood there for a while, one arm around the other’s waist, watching the horizon as they waited for the sun to rise.
___Even as a soft glow of light began to peak up over the horizon, the ground began to rumble beneath their feet, as though there was a nearby stampede.
___“Right on time,” Lazuli said with a smile.
___The rumbling grew louder, until what could possibly be called a stampede of sorts appeared. It was made up of lions, leopards, cheetahs, impala, zebras, springbok, hyenas, oryx, gazelles, and largely animals that were fleet of foot, several of which you wouldn’t see anywhere on Earth.
___They stopped when they got to Ben and Lazuli, their forms changing back to dark-skinned humans.
___One of them, a girl of about sixteen, dashed forward and wrapped Lazuli in a hug. Setting her down, she said in the common tongue, “Happy birthday! I hope you have a good one!” She released a smiling Lazuli from her grasp.
___“Hey, look at that,” Ben said. “She goes into the hug sullen faced and comes out looking like someone stuck a ray of sunshine to her face. I think you need to hug her more often, Tamala.”
___Lazuli glared at Ben. “Do me a favour and shut up for once.”
___Grinning, Ben shook his head. “Not happening. The only time I shut up is when I’m asleep.”
___“No you don’t. You snore when you’re sleeping.”
___“The only time he ever shuts up is when I tell him to,” Poppy said, dropping her hands onto his shoulders. “Isn’t that right?” She craned her neck so that she could see one side of his face.
___“Ummm…”
___Lazuli snorted and rolled her eyes. “Cat got your tongue, brother dear?”
___“No… A ferocious little flower,” he grumbled.
___“Well, the ferocious little flower wants you to come with her and help her down this way.” Poppy hooked her arms into his and dragged him after her.
___Lazuli and Tamala watched them. “I think he needs help,” Tamala commented. “We’ll help him later, right?”
___Lazuli rolled her eyes. “It depends on how much he needs help. He should be able to handle whatever Poppy throws at him.”
___Tamala nodded. “So… What are your plans this time?”
___Lazuli chewed her lip. “Not sure. I guess I’ll just watch you and cheer you on. And whoever else I want to win.”
___“That doesn’t sound like much fun, really.” Tamala said. “It would be wonderful if you participated. I mean, you could at least do hand to hand combat, couldn’t you?”
___Lazuli shrugged uncomfortably. “I could… But I think I’d rather do all the things I wanted to do, rather than just one or two I can do, I guess. I mean, maybe that’s my pride talking, but… I’m really not in the mood for anything much.”
___Tamala nodded sympathetically. “If I were in your place, I image I’d feel the same way you do now.”
___“Yeah… What will you be doing?”
___“Brawling, hand to hand combat and what is essentially a footrace.” Tamala replied.
___“Unless you’re a snake,” Lazuli replied. “Or some other footless creature. Although, none of them are naturally very fast, so it’s probably just going to be feet. This race is discriminating those without feet?” She shoot her fist in mock anger and giggled.
___Tamala shook her head seriously. “Discrimination is no laughing matter. Wipe that smile off your face at once!”
___“Yes ma’am,” Lazuli said, assuming a blank expression.
___After a moment Tamala had to laugh. The “ma’am” had been over the top – the Antiqui had no use for honorifics. Apart from perhaps when addressing the queen.
___That was enough for Lazuli to start laughing again. It wasn’t that funny, really. Yet it was a few minutes before either she or Tamala could stand up straight.

Sumsu glanced to where his daughter and Lazuli were bent almost double with laughter. “It is good to see that she is laughing,” he said in his deep voice.
___“Yes…” Dreyr murmured. “Hopefully she will continue to laugh in the future. It’s a dark world, and she’ll need to be able to laugh.”
___“Perhaps I should just leave my daughter with you? She certainly seems to be happy enough here, and she is cheering Lazuli up too.”
___Dreyr smiled. “Or maybe you could take Lazuli with you. I’m certain there’s something you know that I don’t which could be invaluable to her.”
___“What? You want us to give away all our secrets for the future queen?” Sumsu gasped in mock horror. “Never!”
___“She is the future queen. I’m fairly certain she’s allowed to demand you teach her.”
___“We have gone thousands of generations without being watched over by a queen! We might just change our minds about starting now.”
___Realising that they were drifting toward a topic one might call “politics”, they paused.
___“Mmm, yes,” Dreyr said, for no reason other than he felt he should be saying something. Then, thinking he should at least get the talk going again, “Give it an hour and this place will be absolutely crowded.”
___Sumsu nodded. “Extremely crowded, I take it. Ought to be interesting. At least there’s no chance of an actual ‘let me kill you’ fight today.”
___“And thank goodness for that,” Dreyr murmured.
___“Hmm…”
___A moment later, the meagre dawn light was blocked out. Looking up, Dreyr saw a large flock of giant white birds. “More visitors,” he said as their forms changed back to human. “Lucky us.”
___He hurried off to see who it was exactly who had arrived. It was always a good idea to check.
@LeaDurnane @WolfLionHeart @QueenAri @Vexorianite

I haven't actually written the next chapter yet, but I'm feeling reckless, so... Er. Take this?

Anyway, Isis and Co. don’t really belong in the story. And I’ll have to cause some sort of event that boots them from this story. (Don’t worry, I won’t kill them)

FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
I love it! Keep up the good work :)
I love it! Keep up the good work :)
@LeaDurnane thank you :) I fully intend to lol.
@LeaDurnane thank you :) I fully intend to lol.
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png