Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Antiquis (Story)
1 2 3 4 5 6
~Author's Note~
I will try to post at least one chapter per week.

WARNING: This story may contain triggers, due to mentions of depression and violence (violence should be within FR rules - contact me if it is not).

To everyone here, this story will probably seem like I mapped everything out and dropped you all in the middle of the mess. Sorry.

I didn't actually. Or maybe I did... Hmm...

Anyway. I'm going to try and explain stuff, without giving anything away. Despite I won't be, because you haven't read the stuff I would be giving away... Uuh... Maybe I should just get on with this.

Okay.

So, Isis and Glifieu come from a previous story. They can talk to animals, speak any language and... That's it?

For Lazuli and the others - this is just the starting point. There are several past events I'm seriously considering putting in. Maybe I'll eventually get around to a prequel.

Okay, that's the explanation. It's the best I've ever done. Right?

Okay, now to explain what I'm actually DOING (what I'm doing is being insane and setting myself a TASK. Don't ask me why, because I don't do TASKS).

So, how many of you have read one of those wonderful books by Rick Riordan, Christopher Paolni, or Derek Landy? Yes? You know how powerful Galbatorix, the gods and Darquesse were? Well, these guys are more powerful. Wait, what guys? Oh, the guys in my story. Please. Keep up!

I'm still settling for a name on the race. For now, maybe Ancients will do (I KNOW, DEREK LANDY!! BUT THE NAME FITS SO WELL). I never said it would be in English though. I need to create a language for this story, but I can't be bothered. Let's just call them Antiqui, the Latin word for "ancients".

Aaaanyway. So. Main character is disabled. People try to kill her. There's a big war. She IS killed. That's the most simple outline for this series.
~Author's Note~
I will try to post at least one chapter per week.

WARNING: This story may contain triggers, due to mentions of depression and violence (violence should be within FR rules - contact me if it is not).

To everyone here, this story will probably seem like I mapped everything out and dropped you all in the middle of the mess. Sorry.

I didn't actually. Or maybe I did... Hmm...

Anyway. I'm going to try and explain stuff, without giving anything away. Despite I won't be, because you haven't read the stuff I would be giving away... Uuh... Maybe I should just get on with this.

Okay.

So, Isis and Glifieu come from a previous story. They can talk to animals, speak any language and... That's it?

For Lazuli and the others - this is just the starting point. There are several past events I'm seriously considering putting in. Maybe I'll eventually get around to a prequel.

Okay, that's the explanation. It's the best I've ever done. Right?

Okay, now to explain what I'm actually DOING (what I'm doing is being insane and setting myself a TASK. Don't ask me why, because I don't do TASKS).

So, how many of you have read one of those wonderful books by Rick Riordan, Christopher Paolni, or Derek Landy? Yes? You know how powerful Galbatorix, the gods and Darquesse were? Well, these guys are more powerful. Wait, what guys? Oh, the guys in my story. Please. Keep up!

I'm still settling for a name on the race. For now, maybe Ancients will do (I KNOW, DEREK LANDY!! BUT THE NAME FITS SO WELL). I never said it would be in English though. I need to create a language for this story, but I can't be bothered. Let's just call them Antiqui, the Latin word for "ancients".

Aaaanyway. So. Main character is disabled. People try to kill her. There's a big war. She IS killed. That's the most simple outline for this series.
Please click on my babies!
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
~Rules~

If you guys are going to be reading and commenting - there's going to be a few rules. At least you won't have to worry about being chased by a shape shifting maniac with a sword if you break them. (That's like the only upside if you break them.)

• No breaking FR rules
• Please do not ping me. I am subscribed.
• I love critiques! But be nice in each and every comment, to me and everyone else on this thread.
• No stealing my work! Plagiarism is NOT a desirable trait! If you see anything here that looks like plagiarism (from me, or by others of my work), please let me know. If I have plagiarised someone, I will do my best to fix it.
~Rules~

If you guys are going to be reading and commenting - there's going to be a few rules. At least you won't have to worry about being chased by a shape shifting maniac with a sword if you break them. (That's like the only upside if you break them.)

• No breaking FR rules
• Please do not ping me. I am subscribed.
• I love critiques! But be nice in each and every comment, to me and everyone else on this thread.
• No stealing my work! Plagiarism is NOT a desirable trait! If you see anything here that looks like plagiarism (from me, or by others of my work), please let me know. If I have plagiarised someone, I will do my best to fix it.
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
~Pinglist~

@LeaDurnane @WolfLionHeart @Vexorianite @QueenAri @QTheDragonQueen
~Pinglist~

@LeaDurnane @WolfLionHeart @Vexorianite @QueenAri @QTheDragonQueen
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
~Prologue~

She sat there, watching the others sparring. Wishing she could join in. Be a part of it, like she used to be.
___Ever since the accident on her fourteenth birthday, almost two months ago… She shook her head, dislodging the memories.
___Next to her, Verda raised her head, her golden scales causing spots of reflected light to dance around. “Want me to take you for a bit?” she asked, half pushing herself upright from the curled position she had been resting in.
___“No thanks,” she replied quietly. Silently, she screamed to herself. She was torn by her sister’s offer. On one hand, to feel the breeze through her hair… On the other… It would only torture her more, reminding her of what she had lost.
___A gentle puff of air made its way out of Verda’s lungs, and she rested her snout against Lazuli’s shoulder briefly, before curling herself back up.
___ She shifted slightly, and hissed, the pain from her hip stabbing its way along her leg.
___Verda pressed closer to her, as she closed her eyes, feeling the tears gathering under her lids. They appeared red-orange on the inside, as the sunlight illuminated her blood.
___She opened them again, blinking away the half-formed tears that blurred her vision, taking a deep breath.
___Her hand fell to her right hip, where her dagger was sheathed. She ran her fingers around the gems set in the pommel, being careful not to pull and cause the belt to bite into her injured hip.
___Her canine chewed the inside of her lip, as she tried to blank her mind, tried to not think of anything, because her thoughts always spiraled round to the one thing. The one thing she had nightmares about, the one thing she wanted to forget.
___She looked up, as the lack of sound from blade striking blade registered. The others appeared to be done sparring for now.
___Her seventeen year old brother, Ben, made his way over to her. “How’s it going?” he asked quietly, kneeling next to her.
___She shrugged half-heartedly. “Same as ever.”
___His right hand found her left one, his thumb tracing circles on her palm. “Give it time,” he murmured. “Maybe-”
___She shook her head fiercely, ignoring the pain from her hip as her leg muscles tensed to balance her. “No. The wound will heal, but nothing else will get better. You know that.”
___He hesitated. “Dreyr thinks that there’s a chance. A small one. But try and think of that. There’s always hope.”
___She swallowed a sob that suddenly tried to climb its way up her throat. She took a breath. If Dreyr thought that more than just the flesh wound would heal…
___“Perhaps,” she whispered, but didn’t allow the hope to overwhelm her. It was only a small chance, and not a certain one.
___Ben stood with a soft sigh. “Got brawling,” he said. “Want to talk after?”
___She bit her lip. She didn’t really, but she suspected it was a good idea, rather than secluding herself as much as possible. “Yes.”
___He nodded. “Alright.” A slight smile found its way to his face. “Wish me luck.”
___ For a moment a small spark of amusement kindled. “Good luck. Verda, go squash him.” The spark faded out.
___“It would be my pleasure,” Verda rumbled, opening her outer eyelids and standing, shaking the dirt from her scales.
___He sighed in mock exasperation. “It’s really not fair,” h___ “What was that?” Verda asked in a menacing tone, tail twitching, a forepaw raised threateningly.
___ “Absolutely nothing,” he said, as convincingly as he could, moving away from her.
___ “Didn’t sound like nothing,” she purred, springing at him.
___Just before she crashed into him, his form changed, becoming roughly the size and shape of a lioness. His fur was white, splotched with black and brown. His coat was thicker than that of a lion, and the end of his tail was fluffier than the rest of him, giving it an almost club-like appearance.
___They tumbled over and sprang apart, hissing at each other.
___Verda had grown larger, becoming roughly the size and weight of a bull African elephant. They charged each other again, rolling head over heels, when something streaked toward them, breaking them apart.
___ “I shouldn’t have been able to do that without some sort of reaction from either of you,” Dreyr tutted. “An attack can come from anywhere, from anyone, at any time. Get a move on.”
___They went back to where the sparring had taken place. Poppy was waiting impatiently, swinging her arms, tapping her feet. It was one of her better days.
___“Lazuli, any better?” he asked.
___She sighed, and muttered irritably, “I’m sure I’d be much better if everyone wasn’t asking me that twenty times a day.”
___“Hmm,” Dreyr said patiently. “And I myself would be happier to stop asking you if I was sure you would tell one of us when something changes. Even with us asking, I’m not sure you’d tell us.”
___She avoided his gaze, looking at a point some midway between the jungle and the sheer drop that lead to the river.
___It was true. She wasn’t the most open person, when it came to how she was. With some things. She was happy to tell people her opinions, and could be quite forthright. But when it came to something like this… He was right, she probably wouldn’t say anything.
___His fingers brushed her right knee. “So, for now, I shall keep asking. I would tell the others to stop, however, you may end up telling one of them.” He stood, back straight. “Alright, time to beat them up again,” he said, aiming for a touch of amusement.
___She scrunched her face up indifferently. “Have fun,” she said, without any conviction.
___She thought she heard him sigh slightly. “It would be more fun if you were there,” he murmured. Striding off, he went to, as he said, to beat them up. The worst they would suffer was acute embarrassment. And maybe some bruises that lasted perhaps a second.
___At that particular moment, she would have given almost anything to be “beaten up” with the others. She’d squash Ben and Poppy, with some difficulty. It would become impossible if they were teamed against her. She could hold her own against Verda for some time, and against Dreyr for a couple of seconds, if she was lucky.
___Right now, of course, they could have her tied up and subdued in about half a second. That, she found, was a rather depressing thought.
___She sighed heavily. Life, it seemed, just wanted to kill her. That was also depressing. Everything was depressing, as it had been for the past almost two months.
___Snarls and growls came from where the others brawled, occasionally interspersed with a roar from Verda, or an admonishment from Dreyr. Very occasionally, there was a praise from him.

Cassandra watched what was going on, very carefully, through Poppy’s eyes, listening through her ears.
___At the moment, it was mostly all blurry, with a lot of sudden perspective changes. It would appear that they were training.
___Cassandra sniffed, breaking the connection, so that she couldn’t hear or see anything from Poppy. She still turned up, every so often, to supposedly “train”. In reality, she was studying how they fought, and how they had progressed so far.
___Lazuli was disabled, so they would want someone else to help them out. The perfect opportunity to spy.
___She smiled to herself. Lazuli wasn’t dead, as she was originally supposed to be, but perhaps she was more useful like this. She would be more of a burden for the others to protect, that was for sure. She might even get to live, while Cassandra used her as her pawn. She would be more easily accepted into leadership than Cassandra herself, and, if she went about this carefully, she could control her, so that in effect, she was ruling.
___As she should.
___The rulers were always female, but, unlike on plenty of planets, it didn’t necessarily follow a family line. It went with who was best suited at the time, until they died, and someone else of age would take their place.
___This particular family had been ruling for three or four generations – an annoyingly long time.
___She smiled, pleased. Yes, that could work very well. There was no way Lazuli was walking away from this wound. Well, in time she might. But she wouldn’t be flying away from it.
___Chuckling, Cassandra began to make her way to where the others brawled. Maybe she could get in a few digs at Lazuli.

Lazuli looked up, noticing Cassandra’s arrival, which did nothing to alleviate her depression.
___“Hello!” Cassandra said, smiling widely and seeming much too cheerful in general.
___She grunted. “Cassie,” she acknowledged. “What a pleasure to see you.” One thing that had improved since her injury was her sarcasm, which was at full force.
___ “Getting any better?” Cassandra asked, doing her best to channel some sympathy.
___ “Oh, I was doing just fine. Perfectly grand.” Lazuli said sarcastically, before dropping her voice. “And then you turned up.”
___“Lovely to hear!” Cassandra breezed past, light brown hair trailing behind her.
___If her day managed to get any worse, she would applaud it for its creativity. Or for its sheer ability at the very least.
___She sighed, pushing back the sudden, almost overwhelming urge to burst into tears.
___Slithering across the dirt, from whatever hidey hole he had been in, Max commented, “Would you like me to bite her?” before wrapping his sinuous body around her torso and climbing until he could drape his head on her shoulder.
___She laughed, a sudden humourless laugh. “I would be so delighted if you did. Then I would at least not have to deal with her.”
___“I could bite him too,” Max offered, his dark blue tongue darting out as he spoke.
___Lazuli sighed. “He’s less annoying than she is though. I think he has a reason, and he’ll explain it in the end. Cassie has a reason too, and she will also explain it in the end, but I suspect hers will get thousands of people killed.”
___“Still overly fond of him?” Max asked.
___She made a face. “He was a friend once. My best friend. I wish I knew why he left, what he’s doing, why he’s doing it.” There were good memories, but right now, they just added to her depression, which had reached an all-time low.
___“When you were six and seven,” Max reminded her.
___She shrugged. “And friends from that age are important. Sure, I’ve got other friends, and I’ve got family. But Poppy is my only friend who knows what’s going on. The others wouldn’t believe me, and would most likely end up dead.”
___“Frail things, those humans,” he murmured, his tongue tickling her ear.
___She swatted him. “Do you mind?"
___“Not particularly, no.” He rearranged himself. “Is that better?”
___“Yes.”
___“And you’ve got what, one Earthen friend from that age?”
___She sighed. “Yes, and she’s important too. And I’m going to have a hard time talking to her or anyone, seeing as I can’t walk, and all this would raise annoying questions.” At “this” she indicated herself, almost slipping Max off her shoulder.
___He coiled himself up more securely. “You can still participate in those electronic calls. You could see if she’s available now.”
___“That’s true, I suppose…” she mused. “I’m just not sure if I’m in the mood.”
___Most could communicate with electronic devices, even if they weren’t using one themselves. They could tap into the human “Internet” from pretty much wherever.
___“Keep an eye out for Cassie,” she said, making up her mind.
___She closed her eyes, because it was easier that way, mentally seeking out the Internet. Finding it, she shimmied her way in, pulling up Skype and logged into the account she used.
___One problem with using Skype like this, was that if you got distracted, you could have some of the most amazing typos. Once, she had accidentally sent a friend a few hundred words of swearing (she had been talking to them when she was supposed to be listening to Dreyr, and had gotten a rather painful poke). It was a mix of languages, some in her native tongue (which you had to be careful with if you were connecting with computers, phones or pretty much anything else, as you could destroy it). The post had lasted for about an eighth of a second, before she deleted it. Unfortunately, the Internet can be quite fast sometimes (especially if you are connecting straight from your mind rather than an electronic device), and it caught onto the words in her native tongue. All Internet and Wifi “died” all of a sudden, before Dreyr fixed it.
___Deciding she didn’t really want to talk, Lazuli composed a short email, going on about how her family’s car had supposedly been stolen, meaning they couldn’t see each other.
___And, due to her mother being “off”, they probably wouldn’t see each other until New Year’s day, or after the Summer holidays, if they were lucky.
___She scanned it quickly, before tapping into the Internet and emailing it. She felt guilty for lying, but the truth would only put her friend in danger. And she might not necessarily believe her.
___Opening her eyes, she glanced over to the others. They were in various animalistic forms, darting this way and that, pouncing, biting, evading.
___Mentally, she grumbled at the unfairness of it. She enjoyed brawling. It made for a good workout and got a lot of muscles stretched. Including ones that had seemingly never existed before.
___Today, Poppy seemed to be dealing with hyperactivity and increased speed, which was largely working to her favour, weaving in and out, dealing blows before anyone could get her. Occasionally, unused to her own speed, she would move in too fast, and swipe at someone before they even got there.
___After a while, they stopped brawling, and moved onto the last physical activity of the day: flying.
___She held back a moan of longing, which was followed by another wave of depression. Flying was something she had dreamed of for as long as she could remember, and it was torture not being able to change form and join in.
___With a sigh of deep sadness, she closed her eyes and tried to block out all sounds of the others as they soared through the sky.
~Prologue~

She sat there, watching the others sparring. Wishing she could join in. Be a part of it, like she used to be.
___Ever since the accident on her fourteenth birthday, almost two months ago… She shook her head, dislodging the memories.
___Next to her, Verda raised her head, her golden scales causing spots of reflected light to dance around. “Want me to take you for a bit?” she asked, half pushing herself upright from the curled position she had been resting in.
___“No thanks,” she replied quietly. Silently, she screamed to herself. She was torn by her sister’s offer. On one hand, to feel the breeze through her hair… On the other… It would only torture her more, reminding her of what she had lost.
___A gentle puff of air made its way out of Verda’s lungs, and she rested her snout against Lazuli’s shoulder briefly, before curling herself back up.
___ She shifted slightly, and hissed, the pain from her hip stabbing its way along her leg.
___Verda pressed closer to her, as she closed her eyes, feeling the tears gathering under her lids. They appeared red-orange on the inside, as the sunlight illuminated her blood.
___She opened them again, blinking away the half-formed tears that blurred her vision, taking a deep breath.
___Her hand fell to her right hip, where her dagger was sheathed. She ran her fingers around the gems set in the pommel, being careful not to pull and cause the belt to bite into her injured hip.
___Her canine chewed the inside of her lip, as she tried to blank her mind, tried to not think of anything, because her thoughts always spiraled round to the one thing. The one thing she had nightmares about, the one thing she wanted to forget.
___She looked up, as the lack of sound from blade striking blade registered. The others appeared to be done sparring for now.
___Her seventeen year old brother, Ben, made his way over to her. “How’s it going?” he asked quietly, kneeling next to her.
___She shrugged half-heartedly. “Same as ever.”
___His right hand found her left one, his thumb tracing circles on her palm. “Give it time,” he murmured. “Maybe-”
___She shook her head fiercely, ignoring the pain from her hip as her leg muscles tensed to balance her. “No. The wound will heal, but nothing else will get better. You know that.”
___He hesitated. “Dreyr thinks that there’s a chance. A small one. But try and think of that. There’s always hope.”
___She swallowed a sob that suddenly tried to climb its way up her throat. She took a breath. If Dreyr thought that more than just the flesh wound would heal…
___“Perhaps,” she whispered, but didn’t allow the hope to overwhelm her. It was only a small chance, and not a certain one.
___Ben stood with a soft sigh. “Got brawling,” he said. “Want to talk after?”
___She bit her lip. She didn’t really, but she suspected it was a good idea, rather than secluding herself as much as possible. “Yes.”
___He nodded. “Alright.” A slight smile found its way to his face. “Wish me luck.”
___ For a moment a small spark of amusement kindled. “Good luck. Verda, go squash him.” The spark faded out.
___“It would be my pleasure,” Verda rumbled, opening her outer eyelids and standing, shaking the dirt from her scales.
___He sighed in mock exasperation. “It’s really not fair,” h___ “What was that?” Verda asked in a menacing tone, tail twitching, a forepaw raised threateningly.
___ “Absolutely nothing,” he said, as convincingly as he could, moving away from her.
___ “Didn’t sound like nothing,” she purred, springing at him.
___Just before she crashed into him, his form changed, becoming roughly the size and shape of a lioness. His fur was white, splotched with black and brown. His coat was thicker than that of a lion, and the end of his tail was fluffier than the rest of him, giving it an almost club-like appearance.
___They tumbled over and sprang apart, hissing at each other.
___Verda had grown larger, becoming roughly the size and weight of a bull African elephant. They charged each other again, rolling head over heels, when something streaked toward them, breaking them apart.
___ “I shouldn’t have been able to do that without some sort of reaction from either of you,” Dreyr tutted. “An attack can come from anywhere, from anyone, at any time. Get a move on.”
___They went back to where the sparring had taken place. Poppy was waiting impatiently, swinging her arms, tapping her feet. It was one of her better days.
___“Lazuli, any better?” he asked.
___She sighed, and muttered irritably, “I’m sure I’d be much better if everyone wasn’t asking me that twenty times a day.”
___“Hmm,” Dreyr said patiently. “And I myself would be happier to stop asking you if I was sure you would tell one of us when something changes. Even with us asking, I’m not sure you’d tell us.”
___She avoided his gaze, looking at a point some midway between the jungle and the sheer drop that lead to the river.
___It was true. She wasn’t the most open person, when it came to how she was. With some things. She was happy to tell people her opinions, and could be quite forthright. But when it came to something like this… He was right, she probably wouldn’t say anything.
___His fingers brushed her right knee. “So, for now, I shall keep asking. I would tell the others to stop, however, you may end up telling one of them.” He stood, back straight. “Alright, time to beat them up again,” he said, aiming for a touch of amusement.
___She scrunched her face up indifferently. “Have fun,” she said, without any conviction.
___She thought she heard him sigh slightly. “It would be more fun if you were there,” he murmured. Striding off, he went to, as he said, to beat them up. The worst they would suffer was acute embarrassment. And maybe some bruises that lasted perhaps a second.
___At that particular moment, she would have given almost anything to be “beaten up” with the others. She’d squash Ben and Poppy, with some difficulty. It would become impossible if they were teamed against her. She could hold her own against Verda for some time, and against Dreyr for a couple of seconds, if she was lucky.
___Right now, of course, they could have her tied up and subdued in about half a second. That, she found, was a rather depressing thought.
___She sighed heavily. Life, it seemed, just wanted to kill her. That was also depressing. Everything was depressing, as it had been for the past almost two months.
___Snarls and growls came from where the others brawled, occasionally interspersed with a roar from Verda, or an admonishment from Dreyr. Very occasionally, there was a praise from him.

Cassandra watched what was going on, very carefully, through Poppy’s eyes, listening through her ears.
___At the moment, it was mostly all blurry, with a lot of sudden perspective changes. It would appear that they were training.
___Cassandra sniffed, breaking the connection, so that she couldn’t hear or see anything from Poppy. She still turned up, every so often, to supposedly “train”. In reality, she was studying how they fought, and how they had progressed so far.
___Lazuli was disabled, so they would want someone else to help them out. The perfect opportunity to spy.
___She smiled to herself. Lazuli wasn’t dead, as she was originally supposed to be, but perhaps she was more useful like this. She would be more of a burden for the others to protect, that was for sure. She might even get to live, while Cassandra used her as her pawn. She would be more easily accepted into leadership than Cassandra herself, and, if she went about this carefully, she could control her, so that in effect, she was ruling.
___As she should.
___The rulers were always female, but, unlike on plenty of planets, it didn’t necessarily follow a family line. It went with who was best suited at the time, until they died, and someone else of age would take their place.
___This particular family had been ruling for three or four generations – an annoyingly long time.
___She smiled, pleased. Yes, that could work very well. There was no way Lazuli was walking away from this wound. Well, in time she might. But she wouldn’t be flying away from it.
___Chuckling, Cassandra began to make her way to where the others brawled. Maybe she could get in a few digs at Lazuli.

Lazuli looked up, noticing Cassandra’s arrival, which did nothing to alleviate her depression.
___“Hello!” Cassandra said, smiling widely and seeming much too cheerful in general.
___She grunted. “Cassie,” she acknowledged. “What a pleasure to see you.” One thing that had improved since her injury was her sarcasm, which was at full force.
___ “Getting any better?” Cassandra asked, doing her best to channel some sympathy.
___ “Oh, I was doing just fine. Perfectly grand.” Lazuli said sarcastically, before dropping her voice. “And then you turned up.”
___“Lovely to hear!” Cassandra breezed past, light brown hair trailing behind her.
___If her day managed to get any worse, she would applaud it for its creativity. Or for its sheer ability at the very least.
___She sighed, pushing back the sudden, almost overwhelming urge to burst into tears.
___Slithering across the dirt, from whatever hidey hole he had been in, Max commented, “Would you like me to bite her?” before wrapping his sinuous body around her torso and climbing until he could drape his head on her shoulder.
___She laughed, a sudden humourless laugh. “I would be so delighted if you did. Then I would at least not have to deal with her.”
___“I could bite him too,” Max offered, his dark blue tongue darting out as he spoke.
___Lazuli sighed. “He’s less annoying than she is though. I think he has a reason, and he’ll explain it in the end. Cassie has a reason too, and she will also explain it in the end, but I suspect hers will get thousands of people killed.”
___“Still overly fond of him?” Max asked.
___She made a face. “He was a friend once. My best friend. I wish I knew why he left, what he’s doing, why he’s doing it.” There were good memories, but right now, they just added to her depression, which had reached an all-time low.
___“When you were six and seven,” Max reminded her.
___She shrugged. “And friends from that age are important. Sure, I’ve got other friends, and I’ve got family. But Poppy is my only friend who knows what’s going on. The others wouldn’t believe me, and would most likely end up dead.”
___“Frail things, those humans,” he murmured, his tongue tickling her ear.
___She swatted him. “Do you mind?"
___“Not particularly, no.” He rearranged himself. “Is that better?”
___“Yes.”
___“And you’ve got what, one Earthen friend from that age?”
___She sighed. “Yes, and she’s important too. And I’m going to have a hard time talking to her or anyone, seeing as I can’t walk, and all this would raise annoying questions.” At “this” she indicated herself, almost slipping Max off her shoulder.
___He coiled himself up more securely. “You can still participate in those electronic calls. You could see if she’s available now.”
___“That’s true, I suppose…” she mused. “I’m just not sure if I’m in the mood.”
___Most could communicate with electronic devices, even if they weren’t using one themselves. They could tap into the human “Internet” from pretty much wherever.
___“Keep an eye out for Cassie,” she said, making up her mind.
___She closed her eyes, because it was easier that way, mentally seeking out the Internet. Finding it, she shimmied her way in, pulling up Skype and logged into the account she used.
___One problem with using Skype like this, was that if you got distracted, you could have some of the most amazing typos. Once, she had accidentally sent a friend a few hundred words of swearing (she had been talking to them when she was supposed to be listening to Dreyr, and had gotten a rather painful poke). It was a mix of languages, some in her native tongue (which you had to be careful with if you were connecting with computers, phones or pretty much anything else, as you could destroy it). The post had lasted for about an eighth of a second, before she deleted it. Unfortunately, the Internet can be quite fast sometimes (especially if you are connecting straight from your mind rather than an electronic device), and it caught onto the words in her native tongue. All Internet and Wifi “died” all of a sudden, before Dreyr fixed it.
___Deciding she didn’t really want to talk, Lazuli composed a short email, going on about how her family’s car had supposedly been stolen, meaning they couldn’t see each other.
___And, due to her mother being “off”, they probably wouldn’t see each other until New Year’s day, or after the Summer holidays, if they were lucky.
___She scanned it quickly, before tapping into the Internet and emailing it. She felt guilty for lying, but the truth would only put her friend in danger. And she might not necessarily believe her.
___Opening her eyes, she glanced over to the others. They were in various animalistic forms, darting this way and that, pouncing, biting, evading.
___Mentally, she grumbled at the unfairness of it. She enjoyed brawling. It made for a good workout and got a lot of muscles stretched. Including ones that had seemingly never existed before.
___Today, Poppy seemed to be dealing with hyperactivity and increased speed, which was largely working to her favour, weaving in and out, dealing blows before anyone could get her. Occasionally, unused to her own speed, she would move in too fast, and swipe at someone before they even got there.
___After a while, they stopped brawling, and moved onto the last physical activity of the day: flying.
___She held back a moan of longing, which was followed by another wave of depression. Flying was something she had dreamed of for as long as she could remember, and it was torture not being able to change form and join in.
___With a sigh of deep sadness, she closed her eyes and tried to block out all sounds of the others as they soared through the sky.
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
~Chapter One~
Six months later

“Here or the next corner, dad?” Oran asked as they stopped at a red light.

Nuru consulted the Melways. “This corner.”

“Okay,” Oran muttered, waiting until the arrow light was green and for a couple of pedestrians to cross the road before turning the corner.

“Here!” Nuru said, as Oran almost passed the car park entrance.

“Yeep,” he murmured, before turning into the car park. Mercifully there were still several 4 hour spaces available.

The moment the engine was off, his twin sister, Sabra commented “Well, I’m glad that’s over. I’m not letting Oran drive ever again.”

He twisted in his seat to scowl at her. “At least I’m not as bad as you. You mount the curb every time you turn a corner.”

Nuru sighed, as Sabra retorted “Do not!”

“Oh, for the love of God, shut up,” Isis moaned, unclicking herself and the triplets. “You’re each no better than the other.”

“If you’re going to complain this much, you can both stay home next time,” Nuru said firmly.

“We might not even come next time,” Joshi pointed out in a surly voice, arms crossed defiantly.

You won’t,” Isis said hotly. “You just wanted to stay home so you could email your girlfriend or Skype her or something along those lines.” Normally she didn’t like to bring mention of girlfriend/boyfriend into her comments like this, because she knew it embarrassed the others.

“Just because you’ve got your boyfriend with you,” he muttered, sliding lower in his seat.

“But he’s not,” Isis said, rolling her eyes, noting in the rear-view mirror how Glifieu's ears turned pink, as Nuru buried his head in his hands.

“One more word from any of you and we’re going back home and never coming again,” he said, before groaning, “Why did I decide to have so many children?”

“Because you’re an idiot,” Elki piped up from the back seat next to Isis.

“So I am,” Nuru agreed, knowing that his son was teasing. “It seemed like a good idea at the time.”

There were several snorts of laughter, and a couple more clicks as those who were still strapped in unclicked, and Joshi reluctantly undid his seatbelt.

“The time is…” Nuru muttered, pulling his phone out of his pocket as he opened the van door, “1:36. We intended to get here half an hour ago.”

“It’s because Oran took that detour,” Sabra said, stepping out of the van, unable to resist another dig at her brother.

“Well, let’s see how many detours you take on the way back!” he retorted furiously.

Nuru gave them a withering look. “Stop it,” he said firmly. Mercifully, they did.

Numerous items were extracted from the car; a water bottle per person, two soccer balls, six down balls and one football.

“Now get on with you!” Nuru said, half laughing, half sighing with relief.

With Juniper on one hip, water bottle resting on the other, Isis herded the boys in front of her and they walked up the path.

Sitting at a picnic table, were two women, a pram and a boy of about seven.

“That’s Mairi, I think,” Nuru muttered, indicating one of the women at the table. He strode ahead of the others, and said something to her, before giving his entourage of children a thumbs up.

They hurried after him in time to hear Mairi introducing the others at the table.

“… This is my son Damon, that’s Rosanne –”

“Rose,” the other woman winked, rocking the pram gently.

“ – and that’s her youngest, Esmeralda.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Nuru smiled. “That’s Isis, Oran, Sabra, Joshi, Juniper, the triplets Elki, Fudo and Lachlan, Taima and Glifieu.”

“Oh wow, you brought the lot of them did you?”

“Not quite,” Isis said. “There’s still the others at home, Shani, Pinga, Tiba, Zahar, Zahara, Xandi, Raven, Taklishim and Zerlina. So, we brought as many as we left behind, unless you count Glifieu and mum.”

“Mmm,” Nuru said, noticing Mairi and Rose’s incredulous looks. “If I took all of them, they would have massacred each other. We barely got here in one piece as it is.”

“So, Glifieu's not one of yours?” Rose asked, a slight frown creasing her eyebrows as she gave him a look neither he nor Isis could place.

“That is correct,” Nuru said.

“Well, if you’d like to go and overwhelm the others, be my guest,” Mairi said, looking slightly bemused. “Are you going to join in, Damon?”

He was most of the way through a banana. “When I’ve finished this,” he said.

“Here you go dad,” Isis smiled, handing him Juniper. “I found you a lovely little present.”

“Evil munchkin, more like,” Nuru said, somewhat amused, taking her and placing her on his lap. “Isn’t that right?”

They set their bottles down beside the table, and, at varying speeds, headed in the direction of the others, who were over at a concreted part of the park, sitting down and talking.

Introductions were made, and, to their relief, they found that there were another three or four families coming, and they weren’t the last ones.

“We’re always early,” Jae said.

“Us too,” another boy, Jamyn said with a good-natured smile.

There was something odd about him, and he kept giving Isis and Glifieu strange looks.

They mostly talked, before being introduced to four-square.

“So, that’s King/Queen square, Prince/Princess, Knight/Joker and Dungeon,” Jae said, indicating each square in turn. He was in King square.

“King or Queen serves. The ball must bounce once in the thrower’s square and once in the catcher’s square. If it bounces twice in either square, the person in that square has to go to the back of the line. If you throw it straight from your square to someone else’s, you’re out. If you bounce it once in yours, once in theirs, then outside their square, they’re out. If it bounces in yours, then outside theirs, you’re out. Oh, and if someone throws to you, then you catch it after the bounce, drop it, and catch it again, you throw straight to someone else’s square, because dropping it counts as the exiting bounce from your square.”

“So, if that happens, it’s useful for getting people out?” Glifieu asked. Damon had come over to join.

Jae nodded. “But you can’t drop and catch on purpose. Each time someone ‘dies’, it goes back to King or Queen to serve.”

They nodded. It sounded fairly straight forward when he explained it.

“Seeing as there’s so many of us, we’ll do two people per square.”

He had just served to Elki and Fudo’s square when he noticed someone else arriving. “Hi Kay!” he yelled, waving to a long haired boy.

“Hello.” He surveyed everyone. “Big group today.” He moved to the back of the line.

Elki and Fudo had gotten in each other’s way in their scramble for the ball, which lay several metres outside the squares.

“You’ve got to work together,” Isis smiled. “Try and give each other some room to manoeuvre, but stay close enough so that if one of you misses, hopefully the other catches.”

Aixa and Ellie moved into Dungeons, Isis and Glifieu into Knight/Joker and Sabra and a scowling Joshi moved into Prince/Princess.

It was easy to get the hang of the game, although, in the beginning there were a few catches before it bounced in their square, or bounces directly to another person’s square.

A few minutes later, Aura and Remus, sister and brother, turned up and joined in, followed, perhaps twenty minutes later by Shane and Caity, Lazuli and Mimili.

Shane was another boy with long hair, and seemed to have a fair sense of humour – or he was just being a boy, it was hard to tell.

Lazuli had a heavy limp, favouring her right leg. As with Jae, there was something strange about her, and Glifieu and Isis were somewhat unnerved.

Lazuli and Mimili were delighted to see Aura, who they hugged. As it turned out, it had been several months since they had seen each other.

The explanation was that Lazuli had fallen and hurt her hip badly, meaning she hadn’t been able to walk for a few months. There was something about the way she said that. It almost seemed like a lie, except not.

Thoroughly puzzled, Glifieu and Isis traded glances. First, Rose’s strange look to Glifieu, and now Jamyn and Lazuli.

Seeing as even with two people per square, the line took forever to progress for four square, and three people per square meant it was too cramped, they changed to survival tag. Or, all but Lazuli and Caity did.

She sat it out, watching from a bench next to where they had played four square, chanting along with the others “Get Kay?!”, who seemed to be the main antagonist in survival, and keeping Caity off her lap.

When tagged, Aura sat with Lazuli, and they chatted, somewhat animatedly. The main topic seemed to be horse games and horses, which piqued Isis’s interest, being a horse person herself.

When she was tagged by Kay, which allowed Damon, Remus and Joshi up, she went to sit next to them.

The moment she opened her mouth, she noticed a look of deep suspicion briefly flashing across Lazuli’s face. Noticing it, Isis explained that she was here to talk about horses.

Lazuli watched her warily, but didn’t object. “You’re new?” she asked.

“Yes, just arrived for the first time today,” Isis answered. “Thought we were late, but we were only the third lot to arrive.”

Lazuli’s eyes narrowed, as though this confirmed something. “I see. So, you said you were interested in horses?”

During this exchange, Aura had been watching them, eyes darting back and forth, seeming somewhat confused.

Isis decided the girl was just edgy at meeting a new person, although she felt there was something more to it. “Yes, we live on a farm, and we have several horses of our own.”

This piqued the girls’ curiosity, but also seemed to alienate Lazuli further.

“You have your own horse?” Aura asked.

Isis nodded. “Yes, her name’s Diamond. She’s a Knabstrupper.”

Lazuli made a tortured groan. “What coat?” she asked.

“Black snowflake.”

“Ohhh,” she dropped her head back. “My dream horse.” Underneath the longing there was still suspicion, and, it seemed, even warning.

Glifieu dropped down heavily next to Isis, getting a look off Lazuli. “Well, I’m dead.”

“Kay?” Isis asked.

“No, Jae actually. Said he was surprised. To be honest, so am I.”

“That happens sometimes,” Lazuli said. “Usually it’s Kay, but every now and then, Jae surprises everyone and kills Kay and most of the others. One time, he got everyone except for those on his truce. I forget who was on it exactly – Aura, that was the week you came really late with May, wasn’t it? I think you turned up for the next round. Anyway, I ended up tagging him and released the demons.”

Aura nodded. “Yeah, I think I came after that. We slept in till like twelve.”

“Wow,” Glifieu said. “I haven’t done that in ages. Not since the last time I was sick, which was a while ago, thank goodness.”

Lazuli raised her eyebrows. “Hmm.”

There was a moment of awkward silence, then Kay yelled, “Whoever was tagged by Jae is up!”

“Oof,” Glifieu grunted, rising. “That’s my cue.”

“Get Kay,” the others said in unison.

He laughed. “Parrots. I’ve been watching him, I think I can take him.”

“Well, you’ve got the advantage of longer arms, unlike most of the others,” Isis pointed out. “And good reflexes. I think you’re more likely to be gotten by a sneak attack, or if a whole truce comes after you at once.”

“Reading any good books lately?” Aura asked. The question was largely directed to Lazuli, so Isis didn’t answer.

She made a face. “No, not really.”

“How come?”

“Because no-one’s writing fast enough,” Lazuli joked half-heartedly. “Nah, since I hurt my leg, I haven’t really been in the mood, I guess. What about you?”

She looked at Isis, her words indicating she’d like a reply from her. “Finally caught up to the fourth Trials of Apollo book.”

This caught the interest of both girls. “Spoilers?” they demanded.

Isis was delighted to find other Rick Riordan fans. “No,” she grinned. “I wouldn’t want to spoil it for you.”

Lazuli made a face. “They don’t spoil the story for me.”

“Not for me either, really.”

“Apart from when I told you Jason died.”

Aura made an anguished sound. “Enough about him already!”

Isis grinned. “Well, I’ll tell you this –”
There were yells of delight, and Glifieu's voice announced, “KAY’S DOWN!”

“Ah well, another time maybe. I’ve got to go back him up.”

“They probably won’t target him, seeing as he got Kay. Except for Shane and Remus, possibly.” Lazuli said. “You’ll be more of a target, and Jae too.”

“Well, thanks for letting me know,” Isis said, feeling somewhat relieved as she stood.

“You’re up too, Aura,” Lazuli pointed out.

Caity, who had, at some point, gone back to the parents, ran over. “I want to be on your team,” she told Aura.

“Alright,” Aura said. “Kay can’t complain.”

“He still might,” Lazuli pointed out.

“Ehhh…”

They broke out into giggles, and Aura took Caity with her.

As Lazuli had said, Glifieu wasn’t a target. Mostly. It seemed that if you got Kay down, you were to stay up. According to most of the people playing.

There were those like Aixa who didn’t care, and Shane who seemed to be on Kay’s side, who were giving him trouble.

Isis had been fending off Remus when Shane came up behind her and tagged her on the back.

“Eeeevil!” she said, pretending to shake her fist at him as she went to sit down. “Eeevil I say!”

She went back to sit down next to Lazuli, who had been largely staring at the ground in a brooding manner, but raised her head to look her in the eyes in a way Isis found unnerving.

“Why not sit there?” Lazuli asked, indicating where the others who were down sat, on the concrete.
“I thought I’d keep you company,” Isis said. And an eye on you as well, she thought.

She snorted. “Mmhmm.” There was a lot of skepticism in her tone.

“I can go, if you like,” Isis offered.

“Oh, no, it’s fine,” she said in a way that made Isis uncomfortable. “I just see it as suspicious that the first day I’m back here, you and him turn up. Especially seeing as you are into so many of the same things as me.”

Isis blinked. The girl was obviously paranoid. “What does that have to do with anything?” she asked, baffled.

“Hmm. How should I put it.” There was a touch of musing sarcasm, as Lazuli tapped a finger on her chin. “Let’s just say, that you’re used to being hunted, and your greatest weapon is unavailable to you and two suspicious people have turned up on a day when you are least defended. Make sense?”

Isis froze. “W-wait. Hang on.” She and Glifieu were supposed to be the only humans with the power of “true speech”, but from the way the girl spoke… “You can talk to animals?” she asked, deciding to keep it vague.

“Oh, I could, once upon a time.” Her hand was fiddling with something at her right hip. “Not any more. But once upon a time.” She met Isis’s gaze with a calm one of her own, revealing nothing.

Isis swallowed. “Okay then…” So, Lazuli had been someone with the power of true speech? There was only supposed to be two people with it, so perhaps the Spirits had removed it from her. She was about to say something else, when Lazuli informed her that she was up.

She walked back to the field, blinking rapidly. The explanation hadn’t really helped. It was like talking to Devi. You could hardly understand a thing she said.
~Chapter One~
Six months later

“Here or the next corner, dad?” Oran asked as they stopped at a red light.

Nuru consulted the Melways. “This corner.”

“Okay,” Oran muttered, waiting until the arrow light was green and for a couple of pedestrians to cross the road before turning the corner.

“Here!” Nuru said, as Oran almost passed the car park entrance.

“Yeep,” he murmured, before turning into the car park. Mercifully there were still several 4 hour spaces available.

The moment the engine was off, his twin sister, Sabra commented “Well, I’m glad that’s over. I’m not letting Oran drive ever again.”

He twisted in his seat to scowl at her. “At least I’m not as bad as you. You mount the curb every time you turn a corner.”

Nuru sighed, as Sabra retorted “Do not!”

“Oh, for the love of God, shut up,” Isis moaned, unclicking herself and the triplets. “You’re each no better than the other.”

“If you’re going to complain this much, you can both stay home next time,” Nuru said firmly.

“We might not even come next time,” Joshi pointed out in a surly voice, arms crossed defiantly.

You won’t,” Isis said hotly. “You just wanted to stay home so you could email your girlfriend or Skype her or something along those lines.” Normally she didn’t like to bring mention of girlfriend/boyfriend into her comments like this, because she knew it embarrassed the others.

“Just because you’ve got your boyfriend with you,” he muttered, sliding lower in his seat.

“But he’s not,” Isis said, rolling her eyes, noting in the rear-view mirror how Glifieu's ears turned pink, as Nuru buried his head in his hands.

“One more word from any of you and we’re going back home and never coming again,” he said, before groaning, “Why did I decide to have so many children?”

“Because you’re an idiot,” Elki piped up from the back seat next to Isis.

“So I am,” Nuru agreed, knowing that his son was teasing. “It seemed like a good idea at the time.”

There were several snorts of laughter, and a couple more clicks as those who were still strapped in unclicked, and Joshi reluctantly undid his seatbelt.

“The time is…” Nuru muttered, pulling his phone out of his pocket as he opened the van door, “1:36. We intended to get here half an hour ago.”

“It’s because Oran took that detour,” Sabra said, stepping out of the van, unable to resist another dig at her brother.

“Well, let’s see how many detours you take on the way back!” he retorted furiously.

Nuru gave them a withering look. “Stop it,” he said firmly. Mercifully, they did.

Numerous items were extracted from the car; a water bottle per person, two soccer balls, six down balls and one football.

“Now get on with you!” Nuru said, half laughing, half sighing with relief.

With Juniper on one hip, water bottle resting on the other, Isis herded the boys in front of her and they walked up the path.

Sitting at a picnic table, were two women, a pram and a boy of about seven.

“That’s Mairi, I think,” Nuru muttered, indicating one of the women at the table. He strode ahead of the others, and said something to her, before giving his entourage of children a thumbs up.

They hurried after him in time to hear Mairi introducing the others at the table.

“… This is my son Damon, that’s Rosanne –”

“Rose,” the other woman winked, rocking the pram gently.

“ – and that’s her youngest, Esmeralda.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Nuru smiled. “That’s Isis, Oran, Sabra, Joshi, Juniper, the triplets Elki, Fudo and Lachlan, Taima and Glifieu.”

“Oh wow, you brought the lot of them did you?”

“Not quite,” Isis said. “There’s still the others at home, Shani, Pinga, Tiba, Zahar, Zahara, Xandi, Raven, Taklishim and Zerlina. So, we brought as many as we left behind, unless you count Glifieu and mum.”

“Mmm,” Nuru said, noticing Mairi and Rose’s incredulous looks. “If I took all of them, they would have massacred each other. We barely got here in one piece as it is.”

“So, Glifieu's not one of yours?” Rose asked, a slight frown creasing her eyebrows as she gave him a look neither he nor Isis could place.

“That is correct,” Nuru said.

“Well, if you’d like to go and overwhelm the others, be my guest,” Mairi said, looking slightly bemused. “Are you going to join in, Damon?”

He was most of the way through a banana. “When I’ve finished this,” he said.

“Here you go dad,” Isis smiled, handing him Juniper. “I found you a lovely little present.”

“Evil munchkin, more like,” Nuru said, somewhat amused, taking her and placing her on his lap. “Isn’t that right?”

They set their bottles down beside the table, and, at varying speeds, headed in the direction of the others, who were over at a concreted part of the park, sitting down and talking.

Introductions were made, and, to their relief, they found that there were another three or four families coming, and they weren’t the last ones.

“We’re always early,” Jae said.

“Us too,” another boy, Jamyn said with a good-natured smile.

There was something odd about him, and he kept giving Isis and Glifieu strange looks.

They mostly talked, before being introduced to four-square.

“So, that’s King/Queen square, Prince/Princess, Knight/Joker and Dungeon,” Jae said, indicating each square in turn. He was in King square.

“King or Queen serves. The ball must bounce once in the thrower’s square and once in the catcher’s square. If it bounces twice in either square, the person in that square has to go to the back of the line. If you throw it straight from your square to someone else’s, you’re out. If you bounce it once in yours, once in theirs, then outside their square, they’re out. If it bounces in yours, then outside theirs, you’re out. Oh, and if someone throws to you, then you catch it after the bounce, drop it, and catch it again, you throw straight to someone else’s square, because dropping it counts as the exiting bounce from your square.”

“So, if that happens, it’s useful for getting people out?” Glifieu asked. Damon had come over to join.

Jae nodded. “But you can’t drop and catch on purpose. Each time someone ‘dies’, it goes back to King or Queen to serve.”

They nodded. It sounded fairly straight forward when he explained it.

“Seeing as there’s so many of us, we’ll do two people per square.”

He had just served to Elki and Fudo’s square when he noticed someone else arriving. “Hi Kay!” he yelled, waving to a long haired boy.

“Hello.” He surveyed everyone. “Big group today.” He moved to the back of the line.

Elki and Fudo had gotten in each other’s way in their scramble for the ball, which lay several metres outside the squares.

“You’ve got to work together,” Isis smiled. “Try and give each other some room to manoeuvre, but stay close enough so that if one of you misses, hopefully the other catches.”

Aixa and Ellie moved into Dungeons, Isis and Glifieu into Knight/Joker and Sabra and a scowling Joshi moved into Prince/Princess.

It was easy to get the hang of the game, although, in the beginning there were a few catches before it bounced in their square, or bounces directly to another person’s square.

A few minutes later, Aura and Remus, sister and brother, turned up and joined in, followed, perhaps twenty minutes later by Shane and Caity, Lazuli and Mimili.

Shane was another boy with long hair, and seemed to have a fair sense of humour – or he was just being a boy, it was hard to tell.

Lazuli had a heavy limp, favouring her right leg. As with Jae, there was something strange about her, and Glifieu and Isis were somewhat unnerved.

Lazuli and Mimili were delighted to see Aura, who they hugged. As it turned out, it had been several months since they had seen each other.

The explanation was that Lazuli had fallen and hurt her hip badly, meaning she hadn’t been able to walk for a few months. There was something about the way she said that. It almost seemed like a lie, except not.

Thoroughly puzzled, Glifieu and Isis traded glances. First, Rose’s strange look to Glifieu, and now Jamyn and Lazuli.

Seeing as even with two people per square, the line took forever to progress for four square, and three people per square meant it was too cramped, they changed to survival tag. Or, all but Lazuli and Caity did.

She sat it out, watching from a bench next to where they had played four square, chanting along with the others “Get Kay?!”, who seemed to be the main antagonist in survival, and keeping Caity off her lap.

When tagged, Aura sat with Lazuli, and they chatted, somewhat animatedly. The main topic seemed to be horse games and horses, which piqued Isis’s interest, being a horse person herself.

When she was tagged by Kay, which allowed Damon, Remus and Joshi up, she went to sit next to them.

The moment she opened her mouth, she noticed a look of deep suspicion briefly flashing across Lazuli’s face. Noticing it, Isis explained that she was here to talk about horses.

Lazuli watched her warily, but didn’t object. “You’re new?” she asked.

“Yes, just arrived for the first time today,” Isis answered. “Thought we were late, but we were only the third lot to arrive.”

Lazuli’s eyes narrowed, as though this confirmed something. “I see. So, you said you were interested in horses?”

During this exchange, Aura had been watching them, eyes darting back and forth, seeming somewhat confused.

Isis decided the girl was just edgy at meeting a new person, although she felt there was something more to it. “Yes, we live on a farm, and we have several horses of our own.”

This piqued the girls’ curiosity, but also seemed to alienate Lazuli further.

“You have your own horse?” Aura asked.

Isis nodded. “Yes, her name’s Diamond. She’s a Knabstrupper.”

Lazuli made a tortured groan. “What coat?” she asked.

“Black snowflake.”

“Ohhh,” she dropped her head back. “My dream horse.” Underneath the longing there was still suspicion, and, it seemed, even warning.

Glifieu dropped down heavily next to Isis, getting a look off Lazuli. “Well, I’m dead.”

“Kay?” Isis asked.

“No, Jae actually. Said he was surprised. To be honest, so am I.”

“That happens sometimes,” Lazuli said. “Usually it’s Kay, but every now and then, Jae surprises everyone and kills Kay and most of the others. One time, he got everyone except for those on his truce. I forget who was on it exactly – Aura, that was the week you came really late with May, wasn’t it? I think you turned up for the next round. Anyway, I ended up tagging him and released the demons.”

Aura nodded. “Yeah, I think I came after that. We slept in till like twelve.”

“Wow,” Glifieu said. “I haven’t done that in ages. Not since the last time I was sick, which was a while ago, thank goodness.”

Lazuli raised her eyebrows. “Hmm.”

There was a moment of awkward silence, then Kay yelled, “Whoever was tagged by Jae is up!”

“Oof,” Glifieu grunted, rising. “That’s my cue.”

“Get Kay,” the others said in unison.

He laughed. “Parrots. I’ve been watching him, I think I can take him.”

“Well, you’ve got the advantage of longer arms, unlike most of the others,” Isis pointed out. “And good reflexes. I think you’re more likely to be gotten by a sneak attack, or if a whole truce comes after you at once.”

“Reading any good books lately?” Aura asked. The question was largely directed to Lazuli, so Isis didn’t answer.

She made a face. “No, not really.”

“How come?”

“Because no-one’s writing fast enough,” Lazuli joked half-heartedly. “Nah, since I hurt my leg, I haven’t really been in the mood, I guess. What about you?”

She looked at Isis, her words indicating she’d like a reply from her. “Finally caught up to the fourth Trials of Apollo book.”

This caught the interest of both girls. “Spoilers?” they demanded.

Isis was delighted to find other Rick Riordan fans. “No,” she grinned. “I wouldn’t want to spoil it for you.”

Lazuli made a face. “They don’t spoil the story for me.”

“Not for me either, really.”

“Apart from when I told you Jason died.”

Aura made an anguished sound. “Enough about him already!”

Isis grinned. “Well, I’ll tell you this –”
There were yells of delight, and Glifieu's voice announced, “KAY’S DOWN!”

“Ah well, another time maybe. I’ve got to go back him up.”

“They probably won’t target him, seeing as he got Kay. Except for Shane and Remus, possibly.” Lazuli said. “You’ll be more of a target, and Jae too.”

“Well, thanks for letting me know,” Isis said, feeling somewhat relieved as she stood.

“You’re up too, Aura,” Lazuli pointed out.

Caity, who had, at some point, gone back to the parents, ran over. “I want to be on your team,” she told Aura.

“Alright,” Aura said. “Kay can’t complain.”

“He still might,” Lazuli pointed out.

“Ehhh…”

They broke out into giggles, and Aura took Caity with her.

As Lazuli had said, Glifieu wasn’t a target. Mostly. It seemed that if you got Kay down, you were to stay up. According to most of the people playing.

There were those like Aixa who didn’t care, and Shane who seemed to be on Kay’s side, who were giving him trouble.

Isis had been fending off Remus when Shane came up behind her and tagged her on the back.

“Eeeevil!” she said, pretending to shake her fist at him as she went to sit down. “Eeevil I say!”

She went back to sit down next to Lazuli, who had been largely staring at the ground in a brooding manner, but raised her head to look her in the eyes in a way Isis found unnerving.

“Why not sit there?” Lazuli asked, indicating where the others who were down sat, on the concrete.
“I thought I’d keep you company,” Isis said. And an eye on you as well, she thought.

She snorted. “Mmhmm.” There was a lot of skepticism in her tone.

“I can go, if you like,” Isis offered.

“Oh, no, it’s fine,” she said in a way that made Isis uncomfortable. “I just see it as suspicious that the first day I’m back here, you and him turn up. Especially seeing as you are into so many of the same things as me.”

Isis blinked. The girl was obviously paranoid. “What does that have to do with anything?” she asked, baffled.

“Hmm. How should I put it.” There was a touch of musing sarcasm, as Lazuli tapped a finger on her chin. “Let’s just say, that you’re used to being hunted, and your greatest weapon is unavailable to you and two suspicious people have turned up on a day when you are least defended. Make sense?”

Isis froze. “W-wait. Hang on.” She and Glifieu were supposed to be the only humans with the power of “true speech”, but from the way the girl spoke… “You can talk to animals?” she asked, deciding to keep it vague.

“Oh, I could, once upon a time.” Her hand was fiddling with something at her right hip. “Not any more. But once upon a time.” She met Isis’s gaze with a calm one of her own, revealing nothing.

Isis swallowed. “Okay then…” So, Lazuli had been someone with the power of true speech? There was only supposed to be two people with it, so perhaps the Spirits had removed it from her. She was about to say something else, when Lazuli informed her that she was up.

She walked back to the field, blinking rapidly. The explanation hadn’t really helped. It was like talking to Devi. You could hardly understand a thing she said.
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
@WolfLionHeart sorry for the ping out of the blue, but... Does this story interest you at all?
@WolfLionHeart sorry for the ping out of the blue, but... Does this story interest you at all?
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
SallyJane yea its an interesting story. Great job!
SallyJane yea its an interesting story. Great job!
vbbOqn.png
@WolfLionHeart I'm glad you think so :D Sorry i took so long to reply - I wasn't subbed to the thread, so I missed your message ;)
@WolfLionHeart I'm glad you think so :D Sorry i took so long to reply - I wasn't subbed to the thread, so I missed your message ;)
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
Im all subbed and eager to continue reading the story ;)
Im all subbed and eager to continue reading the story ;)
vbbOqn.png
No need to sub - I'll ping you, that way you don't have to worry about any other annoying notifications.
No need to sub - I'll ping you, that way you don't have to worry about any other annoying notifications.
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png