Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Practicing dragons--Help & Inspiration?
1 2
Haven't an idea if anyone will actually pitch in and help me, but I decided to give it a shot.

I really want to get better at drawing dragons, but I always flop and get angry at my art because it isn't as good as I want it. (Sigh) Doing this is a way to hopefully keep me on track and make the experience more fun, especially when I get frustrated.

What I am asking is for you guys to give me some themes to draw. I want to practice both non-Flight Rising dragons and Flight Rising dragons, though the former is what I want to focus on as I'm writing a story that involves my own type of dragon.
I also am open to critique to my art! It'd be great to have some insight.

I can't promise to do every theme if you guys give me a lot, but I'll try my best!

I mainly will be focusing on sketching head-shots first, then full-bodies, and then begin coloring/shading.

---Bonus!---

If I get enough responses, I'll sketch a few of you guys' dragons on here as a thank-you.
Haven't an idea if anyone will actually pitch in and help me, but I decided to give it a shot.

I really want to get better at drawing dragons, but I always flop and get angry at my art because it isn't as good as I want it. (Sigh) Doing this is a way to hopefully keep me on track and make the experience more fun, especially when I get frustrated.

What I am asking is for you guys to give me some themes to draw. I want to practice both non-Flight Rising dragons and Flight Rising dragons, though the former is what I want to focus on as I'm writing a story that involves my own type of dragon.
I also am open to critique to my art! It'd be great to have some insight.

I can't promise to do every theme if you guys give me a lot, but I'll try my best!

I mainly will be focusing on sketching head-shots first, then full-bodies, and then begin coloring/shading.

---Bonus!---

If I get enough responses, I'll sketch a few of you guys' dragons on here as a thank-you.
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
Save (for progress)
Save (for progress)
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
What about some dragons based heavily on real life animals? It'd let you use irl refs for your otherwise totally non-irl critters. So, like, 'dragons based on komodos,' frex.
What about some dragons based heavily on real life animals? It'd let you use irl refs for your otherwise totally non-irl critters. So, like, 'dragons based on komodos,' frex.
If youre cool with it, dragons that are based heavily on bugs like mantis's or other arthropods like spiders and centipides, possibly crabs. Or perhaps dragons that are tiny and seem to be made of plants(snapdragons? Worst pun I've got)
If youre cool with it, dragons that are based heavily on bugs like mantis's or other arthropods like spiders and centipides, possibly crabs. Or perhaps dragons that are tiny and seem to be made of plants(snapdragons? Worst pun I've got)
-Bats
- He/they/Xe
- Aether Enthusiast
mlHpBMC.png
5hF3FGk.png
S3J5uo7.png
eIK5iG7.png

uVEyOnT.png
eswSnrS.png
06xk8gV.png
UuKod4C.png
Pn33kaF.png
YMPbu9R.png
shadowshieldr.png
@MorningSkye

Not sure if you're looking for descriptive words, but here are a few (they can be for all the same dragon if you're looking for a challenge)

Toes
Petal pincher
Guide lines
@MorningSkye

Not sure if you're looking for descriptive words, but here are a few (they can be for all the same dragon if you're looking for a challenge)

Toes
Petal pincher
Guide lines

@Ecci

bead-divider-big-100x12.png

YPz1UST.png
Tn9tG7j.png
15585.png light_3.png

Gen 1 lair
YA2CvXh.png

The Ecci are scholars who study artefacts found in the ruins.
RRcPYe6.png
Currently seeking allies!
I agree with Hiblins! And to add to that I gotta say-- Sometimes just taking a break from creating everything with your own spin can help you as a whole. I think working with picture refs and kinda copying the art is a fantastic way to practice as long as credit is paid where credit is due. This can be done with irl pictures or from an artist with a style you like.

As for some themes, there are many popular ones you can chose from such as feelings (say feeling based dragons-- how would you draw a dragon that represents sadness, anger, happiness, etc), steampunk, goth, pretty much any particular elemental thing, holidays, etc.

I personally love nature themes and chibis cause they're often cute and not stressful. I'm also sure you could find whole pre-made lists of themes you could set for each week/month or whenever just for yourself to practice and grow.
I agree with Hiblins! And to add to that I gotta say-- Sometimes just taking a break from creating everything with your own spin can help you as a whole. I think working with picture refs and kinda copying the art is a fantastic way to practice as long as credit is paid where credit is due. This can be done with irl pictures or from an artist with a style you like.

As for some themes, there are many popular ones you can chose from such as feelings (say feeling based dragons-- how would you draw a dragon that represents sadness, anger, happiness, etc), steampunk, goth, pretty much any particular elemental thing, holidays, etc.

I personally love nature themes and chibis cause they're often cute and not stressful. I'm also sure you could find whole pre-made lists of themes you could set for each week/month or whenever just for yourself to practice and grow.
@MorningSkye

Personally, I’d look at animals with a real-life build that might be similar to what you’re wanting to draw. This would ensure that your anatomy is correct, as though drawings may look accurate, they often aren’t. Here are some real-life species that could help you adapt some original species. Obviously, you wouldn’t use all aspects of a species, then they wouldn’t really be dragons. Drawing them accurately may benefit helpful for anatomy and realism purposes, though, if that’s what you’re going for.

Species:

Lizards: Quadruped, have scales, more low to the ground, flatter and broader faces, shorter limbs, long tails. Potentially ‘fins’ or frills, especially at the neck area. May have webbed feet if they’re amphibious; this includes newts, water-runners, and other lizard-like species. These are generally smaller. Axolotls are visually similar, but a bit larger, and have much softer skin and feathery frills. (No scales)

Dogs: Taller faces, a more defined snout, definitely more muscular, generally longer limbs. May or may not be fluffy/sleek, may or may not have claws, potentially more rounded appendages. Bigger eyes. Different features in different species (ex. Pitbull vs pomeranian)

Bats: Bipeds, very visually similar wings, sleek/slightly furry, Round-ish faces, with prominent noses that tilt upwards and outwards, tend to be darker colors, also have large eyes. ‘Arms’ merge into wings.

Birds: Biped, have no ‘arms’, only wings. Rounded/ovular faces with a beak. Fluffier wings, may have visible feathers/remain sleek. Thin legs. Eyes are on either side of the beak, may have ‘crowns’ or front feathers, similarly to lizards. Their color-schemes widely vary, and each species of bird is very different as well. (Ex. Vulture vs hummingbird)

These are just some ideas! You could go for a more realistic/semi-realistic/ or even cartoony/chibi approach, I thought that this might be helpful simply for anatomy and original artwork. :)
@MorningSkye

Personally, I’d look at animals with a real-life build that might be similar to what you’re wanting to draw. This would ensure that your anatomy is correct, as though drawings may look accurate, they often aren’t. Here are some real-life species that could help you adapt some original species. Obviously, you wouldn’t use all aspects of a species, then they wouldn’t really be dragons. Drawing them accurately may benefit helpful for anatomy and realism purposes, though, if that’s what you’re going for.

Species:

Lizards: Quadruped, have scales, more low to the ground, flatter and broader faces, shorter limbs, long tails. Potentially ‘fins’ or frills, especially at the neck area. May have webbed feet if they’re amphibious; this includes newts, water-runners, and other lizard-like species. These are generally smaller. Axolotls are visually similar, but a bit larger, and have much softer skin and feathery frills. (No scales)

Dogs: Taller faces, a more defined snout, definitely more muscular, generally longer limbs. May or may not be fluffy/sleek, may or may not have claws, potentially more rounded appendages. Bigger eyes. Different features in different species (ex. Pitbull vs pomeranian)

Bats: Bipeds, very visually similar wings, sleek/slightly furry, Round-ish faces, with prominent noses that tilt upwards and outwards, tend to be darker colors, also have large eyes. ‘Arms’ merge into wings.

Birds: Biped, have no ‘arms’, only wings. Rounded/ovular faces with a beak. Fluffier wings, may have visible feathers/remain sleek. Thin legs. Eyes are on either side of the beak, may have ‘crowns’ or front feathers, similarly to lizards. Their color-schemes widely vary, and each species of bird is very different as well. (Ex. Vulture vs hummingbird)

These are just some ideas! You could go for a more realistic/semi-realistic/ or even cartoony/chibi approach, I thought that this might be helpful simply for anatomy and original artwork. :)
I think we need more spiral art here on fr but as for non fr chibi's, gijinka art, classic art is cool too. I think if you want to someone animals studying them in the way to go! Make sure you check out different angles and side views.

As for getting frustrated... I understand! I have always wanted to be an artist and people’s tell me I’m good enough to do it but I Just nevertheless looks right! So what I do is if I’m drawing for a friend Andy I think it’s trash, I’ll ask them and they tell me what they would like to see better! If it’s what the costumers want draw it the way they like it! Of course your your unhappy with it then you should also try to improve it in any way possible!
I think we need more spiral art here on fr but as for non fr chibi's, gijinka art, classic art is cool too. I think if you want to someone animals studying them in the way to go! Make sure you check out different angles and side views.

As for getting frustrated... I understand! I have always wanted to be an artist and people’s tell me I’m good enough to do it but I Just nevertheless looks right! So what I do is if I’m drawing for a friend Andy I think it’s trash, I’ll ask them and they tell me what they would like to see better! If it’s what the costumers want draw it the way they like it! Of course your your unhappy with it then you should also try to improve it in any way possible!
tumblr_inline_o8pnmsr2WO1ts73zp_540.png

2vn54k3.png
@roadworthy @LunaNebulae @Ecci @Hiblins @Gwynivere @Holi @Babs3 Sorry guys for not getting back to ya'll; yesterday was a tiring and stressful day and I just didn't feel like drawing. There are too many of you to do separate replies, so I'll just say: Thank you! These tips and advice are extremely helpful and I've been trying to use them as I draw. I have two quick sketches here that are up for any critique. The ones I tagged don't need to do anything if they don't want. The first one I didn't use any reference photo, I just wanted to draw a kind of blocky, thick dragon lol. The second I used a leopard gecko for a reference. It was a super quick sketch, barely five minutes probably? So it isn't perfect, especially since I didn't add any shading. [img]https://imgur.com/lZECkZR.png[/img] [img]https://imgur.com/hynM1ct.png[/img]
@roadworthy @LunaNebulae @Ecci @Hiblins @Gwynivere @Holi @Babs3

Sorry guys for not getting back to ya'll; yesterday was a tiring and stressful day and I just didn't feel like drawing.

There are too many of you to do separate replies, so I'll just say: Thank you! These tips and advice are extremely helpful and I've been trying to use them as I draw.

I have two quick sketches here that are up for any critique. The ones I tagged don't need to do anything if they don't want.

The first one I didn't use any reference photo, I just wanted to draw a kind of blocky, thick dragon lol. The second I used a leopard gecko for a reference. It was a super quick sketch, barely five minutes probably? So it isn't perfect, especially since I didn't add any shading.

lZECkZR.png

hynM1ct.png
@MorningSkye

They look great! Honestly, this is rather interesting, so feel free to ping me as you draw new things if you're willing. :)
@MorningSkye

They look great! Honestly, this is rather interesting, so feel free to ping me as you draw new things if you're willing. :)
1 2