Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Sornieth Taxonomy
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
@Northwyrm I just binge-read all of this thread and I am absolutely delighted! I am a big nerd on animal and insects and i quite like this taxonomic view of the animals in Sornieth. This is such a nice thing, and so interesting to read! Also yeah, this probably is much easier since we now have the game database lol Now im sorry but i need to ramble a little about some of the animals, sorry! First of all, I disagree with your placement of Magma Runners in the mammal's post. While I can see why someone would think this (The somewhat fluffy beard under their jaw and that kind of feathery ridge on their back keeps throwing me off lol), I actually think they are part of the Squatamata order. More specifically, i think they are part of the iguania suborder. They are described as having a leathery skin, which points towards reptiles, and their feet have larger fingers in their hind legs, which is very similar to that of iguanomorpha clade (slightly larger hind legs with long fingers and somewhat small claws). I think the most weird part is their ridge and that kind of beard, but I think is more likely similar to the ridge of Iguanas or common basilisks. (The beard reminds me of bearded dragons tbh lol but they are too different in anatomically i think) I also disagree with the placement of the skira but i have absolutely no idea of what they could be. I mostly disagree because of the feet (yes im being a little nitpicked but they are not hooves) but again idk what to classify it as. There are some animals which aren't included yet like the Dire Vulture, Flesh Forager, Chillriver Bucktooth and others but this an very extensive and detailed thread so its normal, since the scope is to vast. Also, since you asked for speculation in the Mith, don't mind if i talk about it a bit. First, I think we can all agree that Miths probably can form some type of society, not very advanced but maybe in a medium equality to other beastclans (The description of Geartoggle Smith talks about them as a beastclan and the Crazed Powersmith has the symbols of the Beastclans on its robes). They have basic knowledge of some kind of agriculture that is based principally around flowers. I think is possible to theorize that they feed upon, not the pollen, but maybe the petals or blossoms. The description of the Primrose Mith seems to support this [quote name="Primrose Mith"][columns][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/22382.png[/img][nextcol] These creatures pollinate and [b]collect, taking care never to harvest all of a plant's blossoms.[/b] [/columns][/quote] We also have confirmations that they are capable of intelligence since they can create weapons and armor and utilize it (Geartoggle Smith, Cinder Smith, Construction Smith), and that they are probably a sentient being since they can cooperate with dragons (Cinder Smith), utilize clothes and can probably do alchemy (This is more theory since the Crazed Powersmith has vials attached to their robes which, suspicious). Although I don't think ALL miths are like this, is more probably that the Miths ubicated more close to big conglomerates of dragon clans are more "advanced" that the Miths that live in the middle of nowhere, since they are shown to be cooperative with dragons and they most probably learn and adapt through watching other beings. Sorry for the big rambles! I like very much all of this so i tend to talk too much lol.
@Northwyrm

I just binge-read all of this thread and I am absolutely delighted! I am a big nerd on animal and insects and i quite like this taxonomic view of the animals in Sornieth. This is such a nice thing, and so interesting to read! Also yeah, this probably is much easier since we now have the game database lol

Now im sorry but i need to ramble a little about some of the animals, sorry!
First of all, I disagree with your placement of Magma Runners in the mammal's post. While I can see why someone would think this (The somewhat fluffy beard under their jaw and that kind of feathery ridge on their back keeps throwing me off lol), I actually think they are part of the Squatamata order. More specifically, i think they are part of the iguania suborder.

They are described as having a leathery skin, which points towards reptiles, and their feet have larger fingers in their hind legs, which is very similar to that of iguanomorpha clade (slightly larger hind legs with long fingers and somewhat small claws). I think the most weird part is their ridge and that kind of beard, but I think is more likely similar to the ridge of Iguanas or common basilisks. (The beard reminds me of bearded dragons tbh lol but they are too different in anatomically i think)

I also disagree with the placement of the skira but i have absolutely no idea of what they could be. I mostly disagree because of the feet (yes im being a little nitpicked but they are not hooves) but again idk what to classify it as.

There are some animals which aren't included yet like the Dire Vulture, Flesh Forager, Chillriver Bucktooth and others but this an very extensive and detailed thread so its normal, since the scope is to vast.

Also, since you asked for speculation in the Mith, don't mind if i talk about it a bit.
First, I think we can all agree that Miths probably can form some type of society, not very advanced but maybe in a medium equality to other beastclans (The description of Geartoggle Smith talks about them as a beastclan and the Crazed Powersmith has the symbols of the Beastclans on its robes). They have basic knowledge of some kind of agriculture that is based principally around flowers. I think is possible to theorize that they feed upon, not the pollen, but maybe the petals or blossoms. The description of the Primrose Mith seems to support this
Primrose Mith wrote:
22382.png These creatures pollinate and collect, taking care never to harvest all of a plant's blossoms.

We also have confirmations that they are capable of intelligence since they can create weapons and armor and utilize it (Geartoggle Smith, Cinder Smith, Construction Smith), and that they are probably a sentient being since they can cooperate with dragons (Cinder Smith), utilize clothes and can probably do alchemy (This is more theory since the Crazed Powersmith has vials attached to their robes which, suspicious).

Although I don't think ALL miths are like this, is more probably that the Miths ubicated more close to big conglomerates of dragon clans are more "advanced" that the Miths that live in the middle of nowhere, since they are shown to be cooperative with dragons and they most probably learn and adapt through watching other beings.

Sorry for the big rambles! I like very much all of this so i tend to talk too much lol.
hdCEH9z.png

nefzg1V.png
WKtl2lb.png

Huh there are only 1020 familiars and 1050 food items... the game database reallly makes this easier, I should spend a weekend or something fixing this thread and replying to comments etc.
Huh there are only 1020 familiars and 1050 food items... the game database reallly makes this easier, I should spend a weekend or something fixing this thread and replying to comments etc.
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
rDDk8Bm.png Bw4cyXn.pngjU7eG38.png 8lxCsmk.png
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
UEbwahm.pngKCykZYQ.pngUiowYIX.png
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
Dear Arcanist I missed this thread oh my gods

Cant wait to see the full update I just came online for the first time in months and saw dinosaur familiars!
Dear Arcanist I missed this thread oh my gods

Cant wait to see the full update I just came online for the first time in months and saw dinosaur familiars!
Burning as bright as I can, careful to not burn myself out
@Hashira I gotta do some science stuff in the real world for a bit before I can fully return to Flight Rising to finish this thread, but it's going to be so awesome to get this thread sorted!
@Hashira I gotta do some science stuff in the real world for a bit before I can fully return to Flight Rising to finish this thread, but it's going to be so awesome to get this thread sorted!
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
[item=Brown Pelican] [item=Spot-billed Pelican] [item=Carnival Angelfish] [item=Longfin Angelfish] [item=Hippocamp Mackerel] [item=Kelp Beds Mackerel] [item=Fanfish] [item=Currents Fanfish] [item=Killer Fanfish] [item=Marsh Barb] [item=Vilevenom Barb] [item=Savanna Burrowburrow] [item=Dustrunner Meerkat] working my way through new food items then new familiars
Brown Pelican
Spot-billed Pelican
Carnival Angelfish
Longfin Angelfish
Hippocamp Mackerel
Kelp Beds Mackerel
Fanfish
Currents Fanfish
Killer Fanfish
Marsh Barb
Vilevenom Barb

Dustrunner Meerkat

working my way through new food items then new familiars
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
trying to organise things by element maybe? [center][size=7][color=#FF00CF][b]Wildlife of the Starfall Isles[/b][/size] [color=#9C4975] Blah blah blah use this bit to talk about how geography may effect wildlife, so for the Starfall Isles there will be island biogeographies at play (possibly leading to weird wildlife) and the Arcanist's meddling (DEFINITELY leading to weird wildlife...) Added Crystal Pools coliseum venue to the wildlife count :} [/center] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Cnidarians [item=Nebula Floaters] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Worms [item= Redworm ][item= Greater Leech ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Molluscs [item= Banded Snail ][item= Garden Larail ][item= Brilliant Bobtail Squid ][item= Blue Ring Octopus ][item= Nudibranch ][item= Rose Pixie ][item= Tropical Seaslug ][item= Shadowmist Oysters ][item= Olympia Oyster ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Myriapods [item= Giant Millipede ][item= Albino Dasher ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Arachnids [item= Pink Zebra Tarantula ][item= Yellow Jumper ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Crustaceans [item= Hardshell ][item= Sparkling Crayfish ][item= Wetland Ghost ][item= Strawberry Hermit ][item= Gaseous Megashrimp ][item= Skittering Megashrimp ][item= Isopod ][item= Aether Hermit ][item= Chalcedony Snipper ][item= Moonbeam Crayfish ][item= Chalcedony Craylet ][item= Onyx Craylet ] ------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Insects - Coleoptera [item= Leaf Beetle ][item= Lady Bug ][item= Four-Spot Mealworm ][item= Two-Tone June Beetle ][item= Orchid Beetle ][item= Mana Thief ][item= Firebug ][item= Goliath Mountain Beetle ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Insects - Diptera [item= Pauper Larvae ][item= Salt-Marsh Mosquito ][item= Tachinid Fly ][item= Fever Fly ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Insects - Hemiptera [item= Glass Cicada][item= Alder Spittlebug ][item= Moonlight Strider ][item= Cicada ][item= Flurry Flier ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Insects - Hymenoptera [item= Pharaoh Ant ][item= White Lace Honeybee ][item= Stingless Bee ][item= Crystalspine Stinger ][item= Sparkling Stinger ][item= Crystalplate Wasp ][item= Sparkling Wasp ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Insects - Lepidoptera [item= Wasteland Pauper ][item= Catoptria Grass Moth ][item= Black Swallowtail Caterpillar ][item= Runic Pug Moth ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Insects - Miscellaneous [item=Blackshield Cockroach ][item=Egghead Infiltrator ][item=Dead Leaf Mantis ][item=Glittering Lacewing][item=Autumn Pennant][item=Redwing Hopper][item=Rainbow Grasshopper][item= Mobile Stick][item=Vibrant Prickly Insect ] ------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Echinoderms [item= Ballroom Urchin ][item= Tuxedo Urchin ][item= Fallen Star ] ------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Fish - Percamorpha [item= Sunfish ][item= Smallhead Flying Fish ][item= Pufferfish ][item= Blackwater Jester ][item= Black Maiden ][item= Bloodfin Snakehead ][item= Luminous Shortfin ][item= Smallmouth Bass ][item= Pigeon Blood Discus ][item= Sunset Butterflyfish ][item= Lurefish ][item= Almadine Goby ][item= Amber Goby ] ------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Fish - Miscellaneous [item= Ruby Tetras ][item= Marbled Hatchetfish ][item= Glass Minnows ][item= Cinnamon Loach ][item= True Rainbow Trout ][item= Julii Corycat ][item= Grey Catshark ][item= Almadine Stugeon ][item= Amber Gulper ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Amphibians [item=Brown Spot Toad][item=Reedhopper][item=Salamander][item=Nightrage Axolotl][/center] ------- [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Reptiles [item=Balsas Anole][item=Leopard Gecko][item=Marine Iguana][item=Weird Purple Skink][item=Emerald Ratsnake][item=Onyx Cobra][item=Blue Bandit] [item= Crystalhide Jester ][item= Hawksbill Goliath ][item= Flatback Sea Turtle ][item= Leatherback Sea Turtle ] [/center] ------ [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Birds [item=Wood Duck][item=Black Swan][item=Lilyfowl][item=Red-Breasted Goose][item=Leucistic Crow][item=Black Orpington][item=Bobwhite Quail][item=Golden-Laced Rooster][item=Blue Throated Budgie][item=Java Sparrow][item=Dustwing Hummingbird][/center][item= Jade Peacock ][item= Sublime Peacock ][item= Apatite Fisher ][item= Rhodochrosite Crane ] ------ [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Birdkin [item= Hippojay ][item= Arctic Hippalectryon ][item= Hippalectryon ] ------ [center][size=5][color=#FF00CF]Mammals [item= Grasslands Trunker ][item= Nightwing Bat ][item= Star-Nosed Mole ][item= Snowshoe Rabbit ][item= Miniature Wallaby ][item= Sugarstalker ][item= Ermine ][item= Skunk ][item= Raccoon ][item= Redridge Pangolin ][item= Firebearer ][item= Satin Mouse ][item= Bush Rat ][item= Grey Squirrel ][item= Muskrat ][item= Arctic Lemming ][item= Barred Skira ][item= Grey River Flight ] [/center]
trying to organise things by element maybe?
Wildlife of the Starfall Isles
Blah blah blah use this bit to talk about how geography may effect wildlife, so for the Starfall Isles there will be island biogeographies at play (possibly leading to weird wildlife) and the Arcanist's meddling (DEFINITELY leading to weird wildlife...)
Added Crystal Pools coliseum venue to the wildlife count :}

Cnidarians
Nebula Floaters

Worms
Redworm Greater Leech

Molluscs
Banded Snail Garden Larail Brilliant Bobtail Squid Blue Ring Octopus Nudibranch Rose Pixie Tropical Seaslug Shadowmist Oysters Olympia Oyster

Myriapods
Giant Millipede Albino Dasher

Arachnids
Pink Zebra Tarantula Yellow Jumper

Crustaceans
Hardshell Sparkling Crayfish Wetland Ghost Strawberry Hermit Gaseous Megashrimp Skittering Megashrimp Isopod Aether Hermit Chalcedony Snipper Moonbeam Crayfish Chalcedony Craylet Onyx Craylet

Insects - Coleoptera
Leaf Beetle Lady Bug Four-Spot Mealworm Two-Tone June Beetle Orchid Beetle Mana Thief Firebug Goliath Mountain Beetle

Insects - Diptera
Pauper Larvae Salt-Marsh Mosquito Tachinid Fly Fever Fly

Insects - Hemiptera
Glass Cicada Alder Spittlebug Moonlight Strider Cicada

Insects - Hymenoptera
Pharaoh Ant White Lace Honeybee Stingless Bee Sparkling Stinger Crystalplate Wasp Sparkling Wasp

Insects - Lepidoptera
Wasteland Pauper Catoptria Grass Moth Black Swallowtail Caterpillar Runic Pug Moth

Insects - Miscellaneous
Blackshield Cockroach Egghead Infiltrator Dead Leaf Mantis Glittering Lacewing Autumn Pennant Redwing Hopper Rainbow Grasshopper Mobile Stick Vibrant Prickly Insect

Echinoderms
Ballroom Urchin Tuxedo Urchin Fallen Star

Fish - Percamorpha
Sunfish Smallhead Flying Fish Pufferfish Blackwater Jester Black Maiden Bloodfin Snakehead Luminous Shortfin Smallmouth Bass Pigeon Blood Discus Sunset Butterflyfish Lurefish Amber Goby

Fish - Miscellaneous
Ruby Tetras Marbled Hatchetfish Glass Minnows Cinnamon Loach True Rainbow Trout Julii Corycat Grey Catshark Amber Gulper

Amphibians
Brown Spot Toad Reedhopper Salamander Nightrage Axolotl

Reptiles
Balsas Anole Leopard Gecko Marine Iguana Weird Purple Skink Emerald Ratsnake Onyx Cobra Blue Bandit
Crystalhide Jester Hawksbill Goliath Flatback Sea Turtle Leatherback Sea Turtle

Birds
Wood Duck Black Swan Lilyfowl Red-Breasted Goose Leucistic Crow Black Orpington Bobwhite Quail Golden-Laced Rooster Blue Throated Budgie Java Sparrow Dustwing Hummingbird
Jade Peacock Sublime Peacock Apatite Fisher Rhodochrosite Crane

Birdkin
Hippojay Arctic Hippalectryon Hippalectryon

Mammals
Grasslands Trunker Nightwing Bat Star-Nosed Mole Snowshoe Rabbit Miniature Wallaby Sugarstalker Ermine Skunk Raccoon Redridge Pangolin Firebearer Satin Mouse Bush Rat Grey Squirrel Muskrat Arctic Lemming Barred Skira Grey River Flight
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
[center][size=7][color=#8D5B3E][b]Wildlife of Dragonhome[/b][/size] [color=#7B3D1D] Blah blah blah use this bit to talk about how geography may effect wildlife:} [/center] --------- [center][size=5][color=#8D5B3E]Cnidarians [item= Electric Stingers ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#8D5B3E]Worms [item= Leech ][item= Earthworm ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#8D5B3E]Molluscs [item= Dumpling Squid ][item= Inky Octopus ][item= Deepsea Cucumber ][item= Blue Dragon Seaslug ][item= Rose Pixie ][item= Cragside Mussels ][item= Royal Oyster ][item= Land Snail ][item= Garden Larail ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#8D5B3E]Myriapods [item= Flameleg Millipede ][item= Centipede ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#8D5B3E]Arachnids [item= Redknee Tarantula ][item= Bold Jumping Spider ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#8D5B3E]Crustaceans [item= Crawdad ][item= Jumbo Shrimp ][item= Hermit Crab ][item= Blue Swimmer Crab ][item= Gaseous Megashrimp ][item= Skittering Megashrimp ][item= Abyss Vulture ][item= Pillbug ] --------- [center][size=5][color=#8D5B3E]Insects Post plans [columns] 1 - page 1 navigation 2 - earth 3 - fire 4 - wind 5 - water 6 - shadow 7 - ice 8 - lightning 9 - light 10 - nature [nextcol] 11 - page 2 navigation 12 - plague 13 - arcane 14 - cnidaria 15 - worms and molluscs 16 - arachnids and myriapods 17 - crustaceans 18 - insects 19 - weird insects 20 - echinoderms [nextcol] 21 - navigation 22 - Cartilageonous Fish 23 - Bony fish 24 - Noggles and Kin 25 - Amphibians 26 - Squamate Reptiles 27 - Archosaur Reptiles 28 - Birds 29 - Birdkin 30 - Basal Mammals [nextcol] 31 - Navigation 30 - Ungulate Mammals 31 - Fereungulata 32 - Mustelloid and Misc. 33 - Feline 34 - Canine 35 - Extra post
Wildlife of Dragonhome
Blah blah blah use this bit to talk about how geography may effect wildlife:}

Cnidarians
Electric Stingers

Worms
Leech Earthworm

Molluscs
Dumpling Squid Inky Octopus Deepsea Cucumber Blue Dragon Seaslug Rose Pixie Cragside Mussels Royal Oyster Land Snail Garden Larail

Myriapods
Flameleg Millipede Centipede

Arachnids
Redknee Tarantula Bold Jumping Spider

Crustaceans
Crawdad Jumbo Shrimp Hermit Crab Blue Swimmer Crab Gaseous Megashrimp Skittering Megashrimp Abyss Vulture Pillbug

Insects

Post plans
1 - page 1 navigation
2 - earth
3 - fire
4 - wind
5 - water
6 - shadow
7 - ice
8 - lightning
9 - light
10 - nature