Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [LORE] Clan Windfall; colony of rogues
1 2 3 4
(should you wish to comment, feel free. I suppose I have enough posts now after this one, long-winded though i surely be)
(should you wish to comment, feel free. I suppose I have enough posts now after this one, long-winded though i surely be)
emXtQcv.gif9QxrTEM.pngpWX995k.png
Your lore is so beautifully written. An inspiration, leaving me breathless and somewhat starstruck ♥
Your lore is so beautifully written. An inspiration, leaving me breathless and somewhat starstruck ♥
1379_150px_ghostmateria_by_miirshroom-dbv3jwb.png1380_100px_ghostmateria_by_miirshroom-dbv3jwh.png
@Ghostmateria oh, you are such a darling, thank you so very much ♥♥♥♥
@Ghostmateria oh, you are such a darling, thank you so very much ♥♥♥♥
[center][size=7][font=cambria]C L A N [color=transparent]...[/color]W I N D F A L L[/font][/size][/center]----- [center][size=2][font=serif]|| [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2207507#post_27706652]DOSSIER[/url] || [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2207507#post_27706653]ARTICLES[/url] || [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2207507#post_27706655]CREWS[/url] || [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2207507#post_27706659]TERRITORIES[/url] || [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2207507#post_27706661]ON LAND[/url] || [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2207507#post_27706664]GOINGS ON[/url] ||[/font][/size][/center] ----- [BR]----- -----[columns][FONT=CAMBRIA][SIZE=4]ACCOUNT OF GOINGS ON, VOLUME THE FIRST; 2 JULY 2017[/SIZE][/FONT][nextcol][color=transparent]+++++++++++++[nextcol][right][FONT=CAMBRIA][SIZE=4][i][b]The Reunion[/b][/i][/SIZE][/FONT][/columns]----- ----- [columns] [font=cambria][size=5] I[/font][/size][font=cambria][size=4]t is rare that the sea returns what was once lost. The water gives, yes, but it takes in equal measure. The dragons of Clan Windfall know this in their bones; life lived on the water is short, the graces of the sea unreliable. They hunt, and they wander, they suffer loss and victory. But always, they know; the sea will take what she takes, whenever, however, whomever she wants. Liobhan was never a deeply maternal dragon. Indeed, for many years of her long life she lived with neither mate nor hatchling, and only the sea for company. She was not surprised; her kind abhor the waves that she so cherished- though perhaps cherished was in truth the wrong way to think of it. She sought out the water that nearly took her life in her infancy, desperate to prove something to herself, or perhaps anyone that would pay witness to her tale. She left the lightning lands when she was freshly fledged, seeking a place to make her own in the Sea of a Thousand Currents, the Tidelord’s domain. Though she ever paid prayer to Stormcatcher, who she thinks of as her father, so too did she pay homage to the lord of wave and whitecap. The great ridgeback expected her life on the waves to be a lonely one, though her heart was gladdened by sea spray and the smell of tar and hempen rope, of old, damp timber, and the gleam of steel in the sunlight. Battle would warm her blood, and the sway of the sea would soothe her violent soul of an evening; all this was good, and it was enough. Against all expectation, however, her life was not meant for solitude. She had fashioned herself Storm-rider, Lightning-chaser, Squall-singer. But for all her names and all her skill before the mast, Stormcatcher saw fit to send a tempest the like of which she had never seen. The sea was black and roiled with anger, a vast field of molten metal that rose and crashed with all the fury of an injured god. Wind shrieked through the sheets and sails, and the lightning that tore the clouds combined to put the fear of water she was born to back into her bones. It was a great wave that broke her ship as though it were aught more than a toy. One of the great guns, torn free from its tether, careened wildly across the tossing deck, catching the unaware sailor across her back, breaking one of her wings; she could not fly away, she knew. And she remembered no more. The dragon who pulled her from the water once the storm had passed, tangled in the wreck of canvas and timber that was all that remained of her ship, was named [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=69490]Fionntan[/url]. As her electric eyes opened, she could scarce believe what she saw. The familiar face of a ridgeback, one eye obscured by a patch, wearing all the garb of a sailor, as she was. Liobhan and Fionntan sailed together for many a year, raiding and trading as the tides dictated. They even raised hatchlings together, though their children were each one of them as wild-hearted as their parents, flying from the lair where they made their landward home as soon as they were grown. And this, too, was enough. [nextcol][color=transparent]+++[nextcol][font=cambria][size=4]For many years, the pair were happy. But wild hearts being what they are, it was not to last. Liobhan knew herself to be like the sea, and she knew her mate was much the same. The same similarity that had bound them in such joyful companionship for so long would now draw them apart; Liobhan longed to sail the legendary storms of the Southern Oceans, while Fionntan was content to continue sailing and raiding in the bountiful waters of the northlands. It was not a bitter parting, as these things go, and yet neither was it sweet. It was what it was. [center]~[/center] [font=cambria][size=4] Liobhan sails now with a crew as wild as she, and the southern waters were all she could have hoped. She remembers fondly her children - those that survived, for many did not - and her mate, and these memories warm her on black, cold nights where the only light comes from the glittering firmament above. She did not expect that in all her years she would ever see one of them again. She was at peace, mostly, with her place in the world. It was a balmy morning on deck, the sun blazing in a clear cerulean sky. Summer was in full swing, and the dragons of her crew were laughing at dice as the ship held her steady course north toward the firelands; fair wind and following seas made for good hunting, after all. Liobhan stood aboard the poop as was her custom, hear to the helm though not at it, the old ridgeback captain lost in contemplation of something long ago. Until a speck appeared in the sky, far distant; it was yet too far to know for sure were it bird or dragon or beast, but something about it held her eye and stirred her ancient heart. Before long it was clear it was a dragon, the motion of the wings speaking of the flier’s size, and more than the captain of the ship had marked it. They would see what the dragon wanted, and decide what to do with them when they arrived. But no more dice were thrown that morning. Her old heart skips a beat when she sees brown and silver - but it could not be. Her second son was a ridgeback, like she and his father. This dragon was far too small - a skydancer, to her eye, with the way he gambolled in the air. And yet… and yet there was a certain rhythm to the way he moved that spoke to her soul. And so she watched, and bade her crew leave their weapons sheathed. [center]~[/center] [br][br][br][br][br][i]To be continued…[/i][/columns][br][columns] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25394][img]http://i.imgur.com/dJSNBPx.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=transparent]+++++++++++[/color][nextcol][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=479575][img]http://i.imgur.com/abEPZ3A.png[/img][/url][/columns]
C L A N ...W I N D F A L L

ACCOUNT OF GOINGS ON, VOLUME THE FIRST; 2 JULY 2017 +++++++++++++
The Reunion

I
t is rare that the sea returns what was once lost. The water gives, yes, but it takes in equal measure. The dragons of Clan Windfall know this in their bones; life lived on the water is short, the graces of the sea unreliable. They hunt, and they wander, they suffer loss and victory. But always, they know; the sea will take what she takes, whenever, however, whomever she wants.

Liobhan was never a deeply maternal dragon. Indeed, for many years of her long life she lived with neither mate nor hatchling, and only the sea for company. She was not surprised; her kind abhor the waves that she so cherished- though perhaps cherished was in truth the wrong way to think of it. She sought out the water that nearly took her life in her infancy, desperate to prove something to herself, or perhaps anyone that would pay witness to her tale.

She left the lightning lands when she was freshly fledged, seeking a place to make her own in the Sea of a Thousand Currents, the Tidelord’s domain. Though she ever paid prayer to Stormcatcher, who she thinks of as her father, so too did she pay homage to the lord of wave and whitecap.

The great ridgeback expected her life on the waves to be a lonely one, though her heart was gladdened by sea spray and the smell of tar and hempen rope, of old, damp timber, and the gleam of steel in the sunlight. Battle would warm her blood, and the sway of the sea would soothe her violent soul of an evening; all this was good, and it was enough.

Against all expectation, however, her life was not meant for solitude.

She had fashioned herself Storm-rider, Lightning-chaser, Squall-singer. But for all her names and all her skill before the mast, Stormcatcher saw fit to send a tempest the like of which she had never seen. The sea was black and roiled with anger, a vast field of molten metal that rose and crashed with all the fury of an injured god. Wind shrieked through the sheets and sails, and the lightning that tore the clouds combined to put the fear of water she was born to back into her bones.

It was a great wave that broke her ship as though it were aught more than a toy. One of the great guns, torn free from its tether, careened wildly across the tossing deck, catching the unaware sailor across her back, breaking one of her wings; she could not fly away, she knew. And she remembered no more.

The dragon who pulled her from the water once the storm had passed, tangled in the wreck of canvas and timber that was all that remained of her ship, was named Fionntan.

As her electric eyes opened, she could scarce believe what she saw. The familiar face of a ridgeback, one eye obscured by a patch, wearing all the garb of a sailor, as she was.

Liobhan and Fionntan sailed together for many a year, raiding and trading as the tides dictated. They even raised hatchlings together, though their children were each one of them as wild-hearted as their parents, flying from the lair where they made their landward home as soon as they were grown. And this, too, was enough.
+++ For many years, the pair were happy. But wild hearts being what they are, it was not to last. Liobhan knew herself to be like the sea, and she knew her mate was much the same. The same similarity that had bound them in such joyful companionship for so long would now draw them apart; Liobhan longed to sail the legendary storms of the Southern Oceans, while Fionntan was content to continue sailing and raiding in the bountiful waters of the northlands.

It was not a bitter parting, as these things go, and yet neither was it sweet. It was what it was.

~

Liobhan sails now with a crew as wild as she, and the southern waters were all she could have hoped. She remembers fondly her children - those that survived, for many did not - and her mate, and these memories warm her on black, cold nights where the only light comes from the glittering firmament above.

She did not expect that in all her years she would ever see one of them again. She was at peace, mostly, with her place in the world.

It was a balmy morning on deck, the sun blazing in a clear cerulean sky. Summer was in full swing, and the dragons of her crew were laughing at dice as the ship held her steady course north toward the firelands; fair wind and following seas made for good hunting, after all.

Liobhan stood aboard the poop as was her custom, hear to the helm though not at it, the old ridgeback captain lost in contemplation of something long ago. Until a speck appeared in the sky, far distant; it was yet too far to know for sure were it bird or dragon or beast, but something about it held her eye and stirred her ancient heart.

Before long it was clear it was a dragon, the motion of the wings speaking of the flier’s size, and more than the captain of the ship had marked it. They would see what the dragon wanted, and decide what to do with them when they arrived. But no more dice were thrown that morning.

Her old heart skips a beat when she sees brown and silver - but it could not be. Her second son was a ridgeback, like she and his father. This dragon was far too small - a skydancer, to her eye, with the way he gambolled in the air. And yet… and yet there was a certain rhythm to the way he moved that spoke to her soul. And so she watched, and bade her crew leave their weapons sheathed.

~

To be continued…

dJSNBPx.png +++++++++++ abEPZ3A.png
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/5Yep3N3.gif[/img][/center] Bump for the first instalment of the [i]Clan Windfall Account of Goings On[/i]. @LittleWatty @RosieHawk - I hope neither of you mind the ping, but I'm writing reasonably extensive lore for dragons that I purchased from you, and I wondered if you might like to see it. I won't ping for this again unless you say you'd like to see more. :)
5Yep3N3.gif

Bump for the first instalment of the Clan Windfall Account of Goings On.

@LittleWatty @RosieHawk - I hope neither of you mind the ping, but I'm writing reasonably extensive lore for dragons that I purchased from you, and I wondered if you might like to see it. I won't ping for this again unless you say you'd like to see more. :)
@Ithika - of course I'd love to see it :D I love lore dragons. Are you writing for Oisin????? *spazzes quietly*

Edit: I also totally forgot I had sold Liobhan to you - that was so long ago!
@Ithika - of course I'd love to see it :D I love lore dragons. Are you writing for Oisin????? *spazzes quietly*

Edit: I also totally forgot I had sold Liobhan to you - that was so long ago!
sQ35KLV.png
@Ithika

Welcome back to FR! Lore is looking great! Are you doing pings for updates?
@Ithika

Welcome back to FR! Lore is looking great! Are you doing pings for updates?
15gb95M.giftJC1guv.pngw0IsqjS.gif
@LittleWatty hooray! And yes I am, he's one of my favourites and I have quite a bit in my notebook for him, I just need to take the time to type it out (And decide whether I'm going to change his profile layout... it was one of the first ones I designed so I'm a bit sentimental for it, haha.)

I sort of referenced your Aodh in Oisin's youngest son's bio, I think he is somewhat of a legend in the clan, perhaps.

And it was! I forget how long I've been playing this game, sometimes. Haha. I noticed you've scattered Fionntan - he's looking super nice! Also I think it's sort of funny that they both ended up with maritime lore. :)

@ElectriWinter Thank you very much! I can do pings for updates, if you'd like one. I would be super flattered. :3
@LittleWatty hooray! And yes I am, he's one of my favourites and I have quite a bit in my notebook for him, I just need to take the time to type it out (And decide whether I'm going to change his profile layout... it was one of the first ones I designed so I'm a bit sentimental for it, haha.)

I sort of referenced your Aodh in Oisin's youngest son's bio, I think he is somewhat of a legend in the clan, perhaps.

And it was! I forget how long I've been playing this game, sometimes. Haha. I noticed you've scattered Fionntan - he's looking super nice! Also I think it's sort of funny that they both ended up with maritime lore. :)

@ElectriWinter Thank you very much! I can do pings for updates, if you'd like one. I would be super flattered. :3
@Ithika Oisin is probably one of my favorite hatchlings from Muirin and Aodh, but I have a thing for parent clones! (still don't have one for Muirin, unfortunately). I will be so excited to see what you do with him :D I do check all the dragons on their offspring list occasionally.

Let me just spazz quietly about Aodh being a legend. He's old, but dang! Hehe.

Yeah, I was just having a hard time with his colors... I don't love him as he is now, buuuuut! It's better than he was. I think I went with the pirate style for him because of that apparel I gave him, but then he reminded me more and more of a particular pirate in history, so I just went with it. :D
@Ithika Oisin is probably one of my favorite hatchlings from Muirin and Aodh, but I have a thing for parent clones! (still don't have one for Muirin, unfortunately). I will be so excited to see what you do with him :D I do check all the dragons on their offspring list occasionally.

Let me just spazz quietly about Aodh being a legend. He's old, but dang! Hehe.

Yeah, I was just having a hard time with his colors... I don't love him as he is now, buuuuut! It's better than he was. I think I went with the pirate style for him because of that apparel I gave him, but then he reminded me more and more of a particular pirate in history, so I just went with it. :D
sQ35KLV.png
@LittleWatty ah, I see! I've always loved that he was so similar to his dad, too. It's nice, especially with such a wide range as they both have! I hope you get a Muirin clone someday :)
It must be nice having a pair that (I imagine?) Produce offspring that are kept more often than not and go on to breed. I know it's not the usual, but I love collecting old dragons with decent sized offspring lists to see if there are any active family trees.

Haha, yeah. I just really like old dragons from a sort of worldbuilding perspective. It's compelling to think of.

Ah yes, it's good that scatter scrolls exist! If only there was such a thing as a single colour scatter scroll... But random is exciting! I gotta ask, which particular pirate in history? Pirate history is kind of my jam ;)
@LittleWatty ah, I see! I've always loved that he was so similar to his dad, too. It's nice, especially with such a wide range as they both have! I hope you get a Muirin clone someday :)
It must be nice having a pair that (I imagine?) Produce offspring that are kept more often than not and go on to breed. I know it's not the usual, but I love collecting old dragons with decent sized offspring lists to see if there are any active family trees.

Haha, yeah. I just really like old dragons from a sort of worldbuilding perspective. It's compelling to think of.

Ah yes, it's good that scatter scrolls exist! If only there was such a thing as a single colour scatter scroll... But random is exciting! I gotta ask, which particular pirate in history? Pirate history is kind of my jam ;)
1 2 3 4