Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | In need of lore!
1 2 3 4 5
@flyingfennecfox
Just a quick question, do you want Volcano to match what you already have for Barracuda?
@flyingfennecfox
Just a quick question, do you want Volcano to match what you already have for Barracuda?
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
@flyingfennecfox
This work?

Volcano was the far-seer, the fire oracle and the second founder of the clan. He'd always known where he would be so he didn't mind the wait. He'd started at the rim of the Waste, where the crashing Sea met scorching lava. For days he traveled deeper into the ash and rock his only company the enemies he fought and evaded on the way. The time was drawing near and suddenly he didn't seem to have enough of it, the oppressing heat giving way to comforting warmth as he made his way to the Hearth, time nipping at his heels or was that a Scarlet Serpenta? Curious, he hadn't seen that.

He found her exactly where he knew she'd be, her Vulpine Lamp already attached to her side. She was as magnificent as he'd known she'd be, as he'd expected, as he'd hoped. Already so protective, he'd seen their future spread before them and he couldn't wait.

"Who's there?" she growled, her wing held aloft over the her familiar. "If you're here to fight, I warn you, I will protect my new home."
"I don't want to fight you." he hissed. "I want to join you. I'm impressed, honestly. You went from a nameless rogue to the founder of a clan in one night."
"A clan?" she echoed, bewildered.
"Yes." he smiled because it all started, right here and right now. "I'm going to join you here. And I won't be the only one. We're going to lead this clan together. And it's going to be wonderful. Peaceful."
"What's your name?" she asked, her head tilted at him.
He smiled. "My name is Volcano. And you are Barracuda."

He was shortly proven right, dragons of all kinds dropped in by fate and chance and Caller sent. He was pleased when he found their future together to be more intertwined then he'd seen and involving far more lovely children. She succeeds more then he ever dreamed, noble, reasonable, and loyal above all else. He sat by her side threw it all, shrewd, loyal and forever dreaming of the next good day.
@flyingfennecfox
This work?

Volcano was the far-seer, the fire oracle and the second founder of the clan. He'd always known where he would be so he didn't mind the wait. He'd started at the rim of the Waste, where the crashing Sea met scorching lava. For days he traveled deeper into the ash and rock his only company the enemies he fought and evaded on the way. The time was drawing near and suddenly he didn't seem to have enough of it, the oppressing heat giving way to comforting warmth as he made his way to the Hearth, time nipping at his heels or was that a Scarlet Serpenta? Curious, he hadn't seen that.

He found her exactly where he knew she'd be, her Vulpine Lamp already attached to her side. She was as magnificent as he'd known she'd be, as he'd expected, as he'd hoped. Already so protective, he'd seen their future spread before them and he couldn't wait.

"Who's there?" she growled, her wing held aloft over the her familiar. "If you're here to fight, I warn you, I will protect my new home."
"I don't want to fight you." he hissed. "I want to join you. I'm impressed, honestly. You went from a nameless rogue to the founder of a clan in one night."
"A clan?" she echoed, bewildered.
"Yes." he smiled because it all started, right here and right now. "I'm going to join you here. And I won't be the only one. We're going to lead this clan together. And it's going to be wonderful. Peaceful."
"What's your name?" she asked, her head tilted at him.
He smiled. "My name is Volcano. And you are Barracuda."

He was shortly proven right, dragons of all kinds dropped in by fate and chance and Caller sent. He was pleased when he found their future together to be more intertwined then he'd seen and involving far more lovely children. She succeeds more then he ever dreamed, noble, reasonable, and loyal above all else. He sat by her side threw it all, shrewd, loyal and forever dreaming of the next good day.
@IronPen Wow! I love it! Thank you so much! :D
@IronPen Wow! I love it! Thank you so much! :D
Dragonfox hatchery
?7XX2B=party.png
Ok! Great work! :D We are on to #3 now: Pegasus! Yay! :3
Ok! Great work! :D We are on to #3 now: Pegasus! Yay! :3
Dragonfox hatchery
?7XX2B=party.png
Any lore ideas for Pegasus? :3
Any lore ideas for Pegasus? :3
Dragonfox hatchery
?7XX2B=party.png
HERES A BUNCH OF CRITICISM YOU DIDN'T REALLY ASK FOR, I PROMISE I'LL CONTRIBUTE ACTUAL LORE IDEAS LATER, FEEL FREE TO IGNORE THIS
Well, general question; what flaws do your dragons have? To be interesting, it helps to not be perfect (though this of course doesn't mean make all of them totally awful). And in terms of good traits, what do they do which demonstrates them? For example, Barracuda's lore says that she is a "natural leader" However, what has she done to show she deserves that name? (I realize this probably isn't a completely fair question; I'm guessing she'll have interactions with others in their own bios when they get done)
In addition, what motivates them? Why do they do what they do? Why would Barracuda trust a random stranger who says they're going lead a clan together, or promise to protect an animal she just found when shes already having a hard time and doesn't need another mouth to feed? Volcano I guess is easier, since one might guess the reason for most of his actions can be summed up as "he lives his life fulfilling his visions, which he has complete faith in". Though this also raises questions; if he sees something bad will happen, will he try to stop it? CAN he stop it, or is it inevitable? The future of the clan growing seemed contingent on his actively seeking out Barricuda - what would have happened if he just didn't do that? Is his dedication religious? Related to the Flamecaller? Or just part of his personal worldview? But enough nitpicking about Volcano's ability to see the future.
To go back to (read; nitpick incessantly about) Barracuda, her bio says that "Barracuda was born in the Ashfall Waste, deep inside the Fire Flight's territory. She wandered alone for days, having to fight varying enemies to survive each day." The fact that she has fire eyes and is progen of a Fire clan should already make it pretty obvious to the reader that she was born in Fire territory, so it feels a bit awkward to point that out in addition. Then it goes immediately from her being born to having to fight to survive. (It makes it clear that these "days" are immediately after her birth; is she STILL just days old?) Did she hatch from a single egg in the middle of the Waste and somehow manage to hunt and whatnot as a newborn baby? There are ways to make that backstory work, but I feel like you'd want to talk about it. (I get that she is a progen, but that raises the question of why you would bring up her origin in the first place if you're only going to leave it hanging there somewhat confusingly) Did she get exiled from her birth clan for holding strange views? Was she the sole survivor of a tragedy that killed her whole clan? Why is this dragon, who is apparently a good leader and therefore pretty good with others, wandering alone?
I understand that you only have two done so far, but stuff like motivation and flaws are good things to pay attention to when writing a character.
HERES A BUNCH OF CRITICISM YOU DIDN'T REALLY ASK FOR, I PROMISE I'LL CONTRIBUTE ACTUAL LORE IDEAS LATER, FEEL FREE TO IGNORE THIS
Well, general question; what flaws do your dragons have? To be interesting, it helps to not be perfect (though this of course doesn't mean make all of them totally awful). And in terms of good traits, what do they do which demonstrates them? For example, Barracuda's lore says that she is a "natural leader" However, what has she done to show she deserves that name? (I realize this probably isn't a completely fair question; I'm guessing she'll have interactions with others in their own bios when they get done)
In addition, what motivates them? Why do they do what they do? Why would Barracuda trust a random stranger who says they're going lead a clan together, or promise to protect an animal she just found when shes already having a hard time and doesn't need another mouth to feed? Volcano I guess is easier, since one might guess the reason for most of his actions can be summed up as "he lives his life fulfilling his visions, which he has complete faith in". Though this also raises questions; if he sees something bad will happen, will he try to stop it? CAN he stop it, or is it inevitable? The future of the clan growing seemed contingent on his actively seeking out Barricuda - what would have happened if he just didn't do that? Is his dedication religious? Related to the Flamecaller? Or just part of his personal worldview? But enough nitpicking about Volcano's ability to see the future.
To go back to (read; nitpick incessantly about) Barracuda, her bio says that "Barracuda was born in the Ashfall Waste, deep inside the Fire Flight's territory. She wandered alone for days, having to fight varying enemies to survive each day." The fact that she has fire eyes and is progen of a Fire clan should already make it pretty obvious to the reader that she was born in Fire territory, so it feels a bit awkward to point that out in addition. Then it goes immediately from her being born to having to fight to survive. (It makes it clear that these "days" are immediately after her birth; is she STILL just days old?) Did she hatch from a single egg in the middle of the Waste and somehow manage to hunt and whatnot as a newborn baby? There are ways to make that backstory work, but I feel like you'd want to talk about it. (I get that she is a progen, but that raises the question of why you would bring up her origin in the first place if you're only going to leave it hanging there somewhat confusingly) Did she get exiled from her birth clan for holding strange views? Was she the sole survivor of a tragedy that killed her whole clan? Why is this dragon, who is apparently a good leader and therefore pretty good with others, wandering alone?
I understand that you only have two done so far, but stuff like motivation and flaws are good things to pay attention to when writing a character.
mUdXiA2.pngwpEE9mo.png
Art Shop
Some ideas for Pegasus! (It would be nice to know if you had any particular personality traits in mind)

She could be anything from a lovestruck, starry eyed idealist with a big dream, to a single minded magic workaholic whose love is the crack in her cold exterior

Why does she want to be a great magician? Possible motivations:
-She is very devoted to the Arcanist, and wants to show her dedication by mastering his arts
-She experienced some great suffering or loss in the past, and wants to become strong so that she won't let something like that happen again
-She wants power for power's sake
-She has some great ambition she wants to achieve (becoming a leader, being famous, etc)
-She wants to impress / be worthy of / be the best mate possible for Achashverosh
-She wants to serve the clan

Possible flaws:
-She is too ambitious and uses dangerous magic that she may not be able to control
-She has some problem with her mate (too dependent, too controlling, feels unworthy of, etc)
-She is too singularly focused on her studies
-Really any personality flaw could be worked in
Some ideas for Pegasus! (It would be nice to know if you had any particular personality traits in mind)

She could be anything from a lovestruck, starry eyed idealist with a big dream, to a single minded magic workaholic whose love is the crack in her cold exterior

Why does she want to be a great magician? Possible motivations:
-She is very devoted to the Arcanist, and wants to show her dedication by mastering his arts
-She experienced some great suffering or loss in the past, and wants to become strong so that she won't let something like that happen again
-She wants power for power's sake
-She has some great ambition she wants to achieve (becoming a leader, being famous, etc)
-She wants to impress / be worthy of / be the best mate possible for Achashverosh
-She wants to serve the clan

Possible flaws:
-She is too ambitious and uses dangerous magic that she may not be able to control
-She has some problem with her mate (too dependent, too controlling, feels unworthy of, etc)
-She is too singularly focused on her studies
-Really any personality flaw could be worked in
mUdXiA2.pngwpEE9mo.png
Art Shop
@Minona No, criticism is fine. It lets me know that someone is looking at my clan XD Also, you are right, either you or I'll have to ask @Windshear and @IronPen to fill in the gaps :3. Last thing: thanks for the ideas! :D I'm going for the ideas of: lovestruck, starry eyed idealist with a big dream, she wants to impress / be worthy of / be the best mate possible for Achashverosh (although I'm leaning towards being devoted to the Arcanist idk maybe I'll put both) and she studies too much (I'm saving up for an arcane tome) So, in a way, thanks for the advice! :D and I do have personality traits in mind :3.
@Minona No, criticism is fine. It lets me know that someone is looking at my clan XD Also, you are right, either you or I'll have to ask @Windshear and @IronPen to fill in the gaps :3. Last thing: thanks for the ideas! :D I'm going for the ideas of: lovestruck, starry eyed idealist with a big dream, she wants to impress / be worthy of / be the best mate possible for Achashverosh (although I'm leaning towards being devoted to the Arcanist idk maybe I'll put both) and she studies too much (I'm saving up for an arcane tome) So, in a way, thanks for the advice! :D and I do have personality traits in mind :3.
Dragonfox hatchery
?7XX2B=party.png
@flyingfennecfox
I've got an Arcane tome I can sell you for cheaper then the AH.
@Minona
The thing about Volcano is that I wrote him concurrent to Barracuda who's bio wasn't written by me but I felt I had to match it due to them being the progens and in their dialogue Volcano seems to just decide to stay with her or already knew he was gonna join her so my brain went straight to 'he can see the future' there's mention that his power isn't absolute, it's a gift from teh flamecaller and she doesn't show him everything, case in point the serpenta and their kids.

Also I followed my own headcanon about progens being born as adults with innate knowledge and sole purpose to start clans for the Flamecaller since Barracuda's bio didn't say I couldn't go with that.

For flaws I'd say he holds peace a bit to highly, he'd probably try to ignore some conflicts/problems in order to not rock the boat and disturb his peace. Also again, his visions aren't perfect so when something does go wrong he feels guilty and helpless, especially if someone else does blame him for not giving any warning even though he had no warning to give. And that's not counting if what he does see can be avoided or not. I think it's more 'it's gonna happen more or less like this' with actions he takes minimizing or exacerbating the outcome along with general universe randomness and divine intervention.

his motivation is to fulfill his good visions, he wants the peaceful life he sees with barracuda and will do what he can obtain and sustain it. He was made by the Flamecaller to be Barracuda's partner as she was made to be his. His dedication is that he's a progen, FC is basically his sole parent because she made him. It would take soemthing big to drag him from Her side, being the more connected one of the duo only makes that more so.

Let me know if you want me to stop since he's not my character entirely and I'm projecting my progen's beliefs onto him to a point.
@flyingfennecfox
I've got an Arcane tome I can sell you for cheaper then the AH.
@Minona
The thing about Volcano is that I wrote him concurrent to Barracuda who's bio wasn't written by me but I felt I had to match it due to them being the progens and in their dialogue Volcano seems to just decide to stay with her or already knew he was gonna join her so my brain went straight to 'he can see the future' there's mention that his power isn't absolute, it's a gift from teh flamecaller and she doesn't show him everything, case in point the serpenta and their kids.

Also I followed my own headcanon about progens being born as adults with innate knowledge and sole purpose to start clans for the Flamecaller since Barracuda's bio didn't say I couldn't go with that.

For flaws I'd say he holds peace a bit to highly, he'd probably try to ignore some conflicts/problems in order to not rock the boat and disturb his peace. Also again, his visions aren't perfect so when something does go wrong he feels guilty and helpless, especially if someone else does blame him for not giving any warning even though he had no warning to give. And that's not counting if what he does see can be avoided or not. I think it's more 'it's gonna happen more or less like this' with actions he takes minimizing or exacerbating the outcome along with general universe randomness and divine intervention.

his motivation is to fulfill his good visions, he wants the peaceful life he sees with barracuda and will do what he can obtain and sustain it. He was made by the Flamecaller to be Barracuda's partner as she was made to be his. His dedication is that he's a progen, FC is basically his sole parent because she made him. It would take soemthing big to drag him from Her side, being the more connected one of the duo only makes that more so.

Let me know if you want me to stop since he's not my character entirely and I'm projecting my progen's beliefs onto him to a point.
@IronPen Oh gee, thanks but I don't think you're going to want to sell it for 45kt treasure. :3 Also, I read your note to @Minona. I couldn't help it lolol XD. Again, thanks for the help :3
@IronPen Oh gee, thanks but I don't think you're going to want to sell it for 45kt treasure. :3 Also, I read your note to @Minona. I couldn't help it lolol XD. Again, thanks for the help :3
Dragonfox hatchery
?7XX2B=party.png
1 2 3 4 5