Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Using GIMP, Stuck with Weird Background?
1 2
I am subscribed.

I don't know what kinds of programs would work best for me or my computer. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T520 with a Windows 10 OS, if that helps to know.

I would probably only be doing hatchery graphics for the joint hatchery I'm part of, but I don't have money for fancy or otherwise high-end programs. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What I have right now is basically a glorified version of Paint...

I have this gray and white checkerboard behind the image of my dragon that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm currently saving the dragon's image to my phone and then transferring the image to my computer, since my laptop doesn't have internet at home. I'm pretty sure I read in another thread that you could change something or other with the URL to fix that, but I can't find it. Anyone know what I can do without driving to the nearest wifi spot in the middle of the night?
I am subscribed.

I don't know what kinds of programs would work best for me or my computer. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T520 with a Windows 10 OS, if that helps to know.

I would probably only be doing hatchery graphics for the joint hatchery I'm part of, but I don't have money for fancy or otherwise high-end programs. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What I have right now is basically a glorified version of Paint...

I have this gray and white checkerboard behind the image of my dragon that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm currently saving the dragon's image to my phone and then transferring the image to my computer, since my laptop doesn't have internet at home. I'm pretty sure I read in another thread that you could change something or other with the URL to fix that, but I can't find it. Anyone know what I can do without driving to the nearest wifi spot in the middle of the night?
I personally use Photoshop - but I know a lot can be done with GIMP, which is a free program that is somewhat similar to photoshop!

You can see tons of tutorials online about how to use it as well. I don't think it is particularly taxing on your computer either, like photoshop would be.

Gimp: https://www.gimp.org/

Autodesk Pixlr: https://pixlr.com/editor/
I personally use Photoshop - but I know a lot can be done with GIMP, which is a free program that is somewhat similar to photoshop!

You can see tons of tutorials online about how to use it as well. I don't think it is particularly taxing on your computer either, like photoshop would be.

Gimp: https://www.gimp.org/

Autodesk Pixlr: https://pixlr.com/editor/
Wind-Network.png
There is also a web-based "image editor" that you can use as well, called AutoDesk Pixlr. I will say, however, that you will have more control using GIMP more likely than not. :)

[edit] I added the link to the post above.
There is also a web-based "image editor" that you can use as well, called AutoDesk Pixlr. I will say, however, that you will have more control using GIMP more likely than not. :)

[edit] I added the link to the post above.
Wind-Network.png
@NovaDrakkon
Thanks, I'll probably try GIMP! I'd prefer not to used a web-based editor, since I don't have internet at home (gasp, how barbaric) so I'm not sure how well that will work for me.

Thank you for the links and the advice!
@NovaDrakkon
Thanks, I'll probably try GIMP! I'd prefer not to used a web-based editor, since I don't have internet at home (gasp, how barbaric) so I'm not sure how well that will work for me.

Thank you for the links and the advice!
Sure, my pleasure! Not having the internet at home would definitely render Pixlr useless, but I think GIMP is better anyways, having used both briefly. :)

Good luck in your graphics making!

Also, I believe there are more people than we think who don't have internet at home. :)
Sure, my pleasure! Not having the internet at home would definitely render Pixlr useless, but I think GIMP is better anyways, having used both briefly. :)

Good luck in your graphics making!

Also, I believe there are more people than we think who don't have internet at home. :)
Wind-Network.png
@JustALotCrazy
I'm going to add to those previous opinions and say that GIMP is great! I used it a lot for graphics a few years ago and had a great time, as well as good results. I will say that it can be a bit confusing at first, though, so I do recommend looking up some tutorials for the basics to get you started off if you've never used the program before (: I know it was pretty confusing to me when I started out.
@JustALotCrazy
I'm going to add to those previous opinions and say that GIMP is great! I used it a lot for graphics a few years ago and had a great time, as well as good results. I will say that it can be a bit confusing at first, though, so I do recommend looking up some tutorials for the basics to get you started off if you've never used the program before (: I know it was pretty confusing to me when I started out.
>
tumblr_oh6risLJAT1vfeckzo5_r3_250.png oh look
an art tumblr
qfhaYao.png
Adobe has released a previous verison of photoshop for free, so that's that I use
Adobe has released a previous verison of photoshop for free, so that's that I use
dvAAau9.pnglight.gif
@Hurricanesong @KingofSword
Thank you both, I'll definitely look into them!!
@Hurricanesong @KingofSword
Thank you both, I'll definitely look into them!!
Bump
Bump
from my experience in editing - a grey and white checkerboard pattern means transparency! it looks a bit odd, but that is how it is. ^^;

i haven't used gimp in years, so it could be somethin else.
from my experience in editing - a grey and white checkerboard pattern means transparency! it looks a bit odd, but that is how it is. ^^;

i haven't used gimp in years, so it could be somethin else.
uYKd8EV.png
1 2