Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Critique Request :)
https://imgur.com/a/YL3uG

(Based on Annalise, Queen of the Vilebloods in Bloodborne)

Linked because I didn't want to just throw the kind of imagery portrayed in someone's face ^^'

If you aren't comfortable with blood, you might want to skip this!

But in any case, I really stepped out of my comfort zone with this one with ditching lineart and going for a more painted style. Even though it's only my first (technically second) time doing this, I would still like constructive feedback on it.

Things that I am aware of now that I look at it include:

-Collarbones are too defined/not even in the right place lol

-hair is too blocky

-metal mask not metal looking enough :(

Things that I'm more specifically looking for critiques are:

-accuracy with proporations, mostly on the Queen herself and not the outstretched hands

-color usage

-whether light source is consistent

-overall blending

-how the piece could be improved as a whole

---

Despite the guidelines, I can take critiques for anything! And if you do this kind of digital painting as well, sharing your own techniques are welcomed and appreciated :D
https://imgur.com/a/YL3uG

(Based on Annalise, Queen of the Vilebloods in Bloodborne)

Linked because I didn't want to just throw the kind of imagery portrayed in someone's face ^^'

If you aren't comfortable with blood, you might want to skip this!

But in any case, I really stepped out of my comfort zone with this one with ditching lineart and going for a more painted style. Even though it's only my first (technically second) time doing this, I would still like constructive feedback on it.

Things that I am aware of now that I look at it include:

-Collarbones are too defined/not even in the right place lol

-hair is too blocky

-metal mask not metal looking enough :(

Things that I'm more specifically looking for critiques are:

-accuracy with proporations, mostly on the Queen herself and not the outstretched hands

-color usage

-whether light source is consistent

-overall blending

-how the piece could be improved as a whole

---

Despite the guidelines, I can take critiques for anything! And if you do this kind of digital painting as well, sharing your own techniques are welcomed and appreciated :D
xGq4e44.png Click my username for my art shop!
I like it
I like it
UZVTEBc.png
Ahhh i dont think my art is good enough to be criticing you here but i have some spare time so why not?

There is a lack of definition in her dress. Sure, its kinda well blended but the folds are not defined clearly
Her right arm? Its abit longer than her left and her body proportion is slightly off (stomach area is a tad too high?)(or her hips are too high)

Shading is good, though there could be a stronger contrast (but hey, thats just my opinion :D)

Hmn lack definition in hair as well (well you already said its blocky ).

For her dress, i would say that you might wanna consider the shadows of the folds/highlights in order to build up contrast. Id suggest use references for better results!

This are just my opinions so yeh! Hope this helps?

@burnmoon
Ahhh i dont think my art is good enough to be criticing you here but i have some spare time so why not?

There is a lack of definition in her dress. Sure, its kinda well blended but the folds are not defined clearly
Her right arm? Its abit longer than her left and her body proportion is slightly off (stomach area is a tad too high?)(or her hips are too high)

Shading is good, though there could be a stronger contrast (but hey, thats just my opinion :D)

Hmn lack definition in hair as well (well you already said its blocky ).

For her dress, i would say that you might wanna consider the shadows of the folds/highlights in order to build up contrast. Id suggest use references for better results!

This are just my opinions so yeh! Hope this helps?

@burnmoon
tumblr_paomop1t701w18p86o3_r1_500.gif
@silverein

Thank you for the critiques! They help a lot, and were the kinds of things I definitely didn't catch until you pointed them out.

And haha references would probably be a good idea XD
@silverein

Thank you for the critiques! They help a lot, and were the kinds of things I definitely didn't catch until you pointed them out.

And haha references would probably be a good idea XD
@Burnmoon

Yeah, I gotta agree with the above poster.

Also, the color choices are a bit weak. You're trying to make a creepy picture, but you made the background a nice, baby blue. It would have been a lot creepier if you had used the colors from, say, your art shop signature for the BG instead.

It looks like the hands are supposed to be in front of her, but it's hard to tell since there's no overlap between her and the hands. If you want one thing to *look* like it's in front of something else, the two objects must overlap somehow. If they're completely separated (like they are in this picture) then the viewer has no way to know where they are in space (are they even with each other? At different distances? Who knows!). Here's a blog post from Sevencamels which explains it much better:
http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2007/06/space-and-form-1.html

Painted styles can be pretty hard at first, but you're doing really well so far! Just keep practicing (and using reference) and you'll be awesome. Good luck!
@Burnmoon

Yeah, I gotta agree with the above poster.

Also, the color choices are a bit weak. You're trying to make a creepy picture, but you made the background a nice, baby blue. It would have been a lot creepier if you had used the colors from, say, your art shop signature for the BG instead.

It looks like the hands are supposed to be in front of her, but it's hard to tell since there's no overlap between her and the hands. If you want one thing to *look* like it's in front of something else, the two objects must overlap somehow. If they're completely separated (like they are in this picture) then the viewer has no way to know where they are in space (are they even with each other? At different distances? Who knows!). Here's a blog post from Sevencamels which explains it much better:
http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2007/06/space-and-form-1.html

Painted styles can be pretty hard at first, but you're doing really well so far! Just keep practicing (and using reference) and you'll be awesome. Good luck!
@aboveclouds

Thank you! And the arms are supposed to be outstretched to the sides, but I suppose not having that be clear is another thing to work on :) the link you supplied is super helpful, it gives me much more insight.

This is kind of a late thank you but better late than never
@aboveclouds

Thank you! And the arms are supposed to be outstretched to the sides, but I suppose not having that be clear is another thing to work on :) the link you supplied is super helpful, it gives me much more insight.

This is kind of a late thank you but better late than never