Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stone Guardian [Nuzlocke]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 30
[b]Greenskeeper’s Journey[/b] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/892.png[/img] @NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody @AdventureChaser (welcome to the pinglist, I'm glad you're enjoying it!) Greenskeeper’s Gathering was of course the first festival anyone in the clan could remember, so they didn’t really know what to expect. Even Viviane hadn’t really been celebrating the festivals since, well, Before. She knew that Lightning dragons celebrated their festival with fireworks, because she could see the ones that lightning-hatched dragons in neighboring clans sent up that week; and she knew that Wind dragons flew fantastical kites and did – something – flying…races? Acrobatics contests? “Watching spirals from across the bay, it’s hard to tell the difference,” she explained. Everyone knew the real purpose of the festivals was to celebrate the different flights, but for clan Stoneguard, Greenskeeper’s was going to be forever linked in their minds with a celebration of [i]growth[/i] – and not just because of Enigma. The hatchling had grown up amazingly, of course. When they began the long journey to the northern edge of Light territory, Enigma had barely begun to use words. Viviane bundled her onto her back in a little ball of fur and hides, using the hides from the kite that Enigma had been sleeping in since she hatched, to teach her to associate their scents with family. Like all hatchlings, she soaked up words, ideas, and even habits from her mother at an astonishing rate. After days of travel, the hides were less a bundle and more a slightly smallish blanket for her, and she could speak well enough to give a cutely almost-correct greeting to their host clan’s mirror clan leader. DarkRain and Anael, each in her own way, were quietly jealous of the huge and bustling clan. Over a hundred clan members! Of course, a number of them were actually trainees destined to serve the Lightweaver or other deities; some of the older clan members were already making plans to visit hatchlings and friends who had gone into the Gladekeeper’s service. Still, there were dozens and dozens of true clan members. There were people of every breed and element. There were hunters who never gathered plants, and gatherers who never hunted. There were parents and children and grandchildren and [i]great[/i]-grand children and at least one bloodline even longer than that. When the parents wanted some time to themselves, there were hatchling minders aplenty to guide the smaller ones to child-safe activities and make sure nobody flew away chasing butterflies and got lost. A green wildclaw elder with matching bright green eyes let the clan across the straits into nature territory, where they met up with his native clan and continued, old friends and new, to the festival. Viviane was familiar with the scents of a number of the older dragons, and happily filled time around the campfires as they travelled re-introducing herself. Enigma glued herself to her adopted mother’s side and watched, listened, and sniffed as Viviane reacquainted herself with the host clan – she mostly knew guardians and mirrors, and one proud and dangerous-looking ridgeback woman, and a few wildclaws. They smiled tolerantly and reminded her of their names and jobs, and told Viviane and her little clan stories from the last time they had been together. Stoneguard was in the stories; he and Viviane had been planning to found a new clan together. Before, it seemed, they had visited the great libraries of Light to prepare themselves. Viviane looked thoughtful at this – was she prepared? Would she remember any of what they had studied here, when she needed it? Surely they had intended to get the clan going, growing, using their preparations before she could forget them. They would have turned into good habits and benefited the clan, instead of turning into unused Before memories and getting lost. The festival itself was crowded and busy and amazing. There was so much to do! The three Stoneguard clan adults left Enigma with the other youths of the big clan, enjoying the safer and more contained festival attractions under the care of a wildclaw, a fae who claimed the wildclaw as her mother (adopted, DarkRain discovered, from a lost shadow egg like her own), and an imperial who called both wildclaw and fae “very-great-grandmothers” (it would take more than three “greats” to get it exactly right, he explained to Enigma, so they just abbreviated it all to “very great” and let the details go except for on the actual genealogy scrolls). DarkRain discovered an event where clans competed in a guessing game for the privilege of adopting more orphaned eggs, and put a guess in on every egg she was allowed. Anael discovered a game where a water-hatched imperial ran a scrying pool and let players try to scry dragons that looked particularly like various jungle animals, and played several rounds just for the fun of using the scrying pool. Viviane got her fur died and scales painted, and flew about wearing garlands of fragrant jungle blooms. The three even ended up on an adventure to rescue some ferrets when they got lost on a little hunting expedition. None of them worried about the Enigma, half-grown during the journey and safely under the care of the Brightwings hatchling minder. When they came back for her late in the festival, though, they found themselves wondering if they should have thought twice. “A [i]Light[/i] clan, Mama. A Light clan so big that they send away more hatchlings than they keep!” DarkRain wailed when Enigma had dashed off again to show something to one of her new friends. “Did you even think of what they would teach her? Because OF COURSE they were teaching her stuff because they’re LIGHT dragons!!” Anael fluttered her wings uncomfortably. “Shush, you’re making a scene. It’s not a bad thing that they taught her about exaltation – now we don’t have to do it. And there’s nothing wrong with teaching her about alchemy. She can take over dealing with Baldwin from you. Didn’t you want us to specialize?” DarkRain glared at Anael. “What is this “us” business?” she demanded. “Until now it’s been ‘my friends’ and ‘my hosts’ but now that you want to tell me what to do suddenly it’s “us” that has to teach Enigma hard things and “us” I want to specialize?” “Well…” Anael paused uncomfortably. Where [i]was[/i] the “us” coming from? She probably needed to think about that one, but not in the middle of a fight in the middle of the festival. “Ok, but am I wrong though? DarkRain flopped down and fumed, but Viviane put a comforting foreleg over her shoulders. “It’s all right, daughter. Anael can be our guest for just a season yet still care about the clan. The season she gives us enriches our clan even if she leaves again someday. The care she gives us helps us to grow, even if she doesn’t stay to see the flowers she planted come into bloom.” Vivian gestured to the flower garlands she wore. “Her scent will stay among us a year for every season of her presence, and she will carry our scent out into the wider world.” DarkRain sighed. “All right, all right, I’m sorry. To Anael too. I’m just worried…it seems like just yesterday we were teaching baby Enigma how to say “flower” and now she’s talking about learning to fight, and catching animals to do alchemy with and her claws have a weird sheen on them and…I’m worried. I was hoping she would be the one to stay home and dig for ores and things, and guard the Statue back and, well… stay safe. One bad battle, and the clan could be ended! I [i]can’t[/i] let that happen!” Viviane looked over to where Enigma was coaxing a sparrow to perch on her horns. A Brightwings clan beastmaster was encouraging her, and she grinned at him when the little bird finally took the offered perch. “It’ll be all right,” she told the others. “Learning to battle makes you strong. Being strong makes you safer. Learning to honor the deities and those who serve them grows your honor. Learning to brew alchemy opens up all kinds of possibilities. Did you [i]see[/i] all the leaves the Brightwings alchemist had? It’s scary, but it’ll come out all right in the end.” “Besides, Stoneguard is watching out for us isn’t he?” DarkRain and Anael didn’t answer, but the three of them sat for a long time, watching Enigma learning to train her new familiar. OOC: Festival activities are based on the clan's actual participation in [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1849004]Festival Events[/url]. The adults also leveled up to 6 with no particularly close calls, despite the in-story "close call" when they got lost and the ferret-protection group saved them.
Greenskeeper’s Journey

892.png

@NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody
@AdventureChaser (welcome to the pinglist, I'm glad you're enjoying it!)

Greenskeeper’s Gathering was of course the first festival anyone in the clan could remember, so they didn’t really know what to expect. Even Viviane hadn’t really been celebrating the festivals since, well, Before. She knew that Lightning dragons celebrated their festival with fireworks, because she could see the ones that lightning-hatched dragons in neighboring clans sent up that week; and she knew that Wind dragons flew fantastical kites and did – something – flying…races? Acrobatics contests?

“Watching spirals from across the bay, it’s hard to tell the difference,” she explained.

Everyone knew the real purpose of the festivals was to celebrate the different flights, but for clan Stoneguard, Greenskeeper’s was going to be forever linked in their minds with a celebration of growth – and not just because of Enigma.

The hatchling had grown up amazingly, of course. When they began the long journey to the northern edge of Light territory, Enigma had barely begun to use words. Viviane bundled her onto her back in a little ball of fur and hides, using the hides from the kite that Enigma had been sleeping in since she hatched, to teach her to associate their scents with family. Like all hatchlings, she soaked up words, ideas, and even habits from her mother at an astonishing rate. After days of travel, the hides were less a bundle and more a slightly smallish blanket for her, and she could speak well enough to give a cutely almost-correct greeting to their host clan’s mirror clan leader.

DarkRain and Anael, each in her own way, were quietly jealous of the huge and bustling clan. Over a hundred clan members! Of course, a number of them were actually trainees destined to serve the Lightweaver or other deities; some of the older clan members were already making plans to visit hatchlings and friends who had gone into the Gladekeeper’s service. Still, there were dozens and dozens of true clan members. There were people of every breed and element. There were hunters who never gathered plants, and gatherers who never hunted. There were parents and children and grandchildren and great-grand children and at least one bloodline even longer than that. When the parents wanted some time to themselves, there were hatchling minders aplenty to guide the smaller ones to child-safe activities and make sure nobody flew away chasing butterflies and got lost.

A green wildclaw elder with matching bright green eyes let the clan across the straits into nature territory, where they met up with his native clan and continued, old friends and new, to the festival. Viviane was familiar with the scents of a number of the older dragons, and happily filled time around the campfires as they travelled re-introducing herself. Enigma glued herself to her adopted mother’s side and watched, listened, and sniffed as Viviane reacquainted herself with the host clan – she mostly knew guardians and mirrors, and one proud and dangerous-looking ridgeback woman, and a few wildclaws. They smiled tolerantly and reminded her of their names and jobs, and told Viviane and her little clan stories from the last time they had been together.

Stoneguard was in the stories; he and Viviane had been planning to found a new clan together. Before, it seemed, they had visited the great libraries of Light to prepare themselves. Viviane looked thoughtful at this – was she prepared? Would she remember any of what they had studied here, when she needed it? Surely they had intended to get the clan going, growing, using their preparations before she could forget them. They would have turned into good habits and benefited the clan, instead of turning into unused Before memories and getting lost.

The festival itself was crowded and busy and amazing. There was so much to do! The three Stoneguard clan adults left Enigma with the other youths of the big clan, enjoying the safer and more contained festival attractions under the care of a wildclaw, a fae who claimed the wildclaw as her mother (adopted, DarkRain discovered, from a lost shadow egg like her own), and an imperial who called both wildclaw and fae “very-great-grandmothers” (it would take more than three “greats” to get it exactly right, he explained to Enigma, so they just abbreviated it all to “very great” and let the details go except for on the actual genealogy scrolls).

DarkRain discovered an event where clans competed in a guessing game for the privilege of adopting more orphaned eggs, and put a guess in on every egg she was allowed. Anael discovered a game where a water-hatched imperial ran a scrying pool and let players try to scry dragons that looked particularly like various jungle animals, and played several rounds just for the fun of using the scrying pool. Viviane got her fur died and scales painted, and flew about wearing garlands of fragrant jungle blooms. The three even ended up on an adventure to rescue some ferrets when they got lost on a little hunting expedition.

None of them worried about the Enigma, half-grown during the journey and safely under the care of the Brightwings hatchling minder. When they came back for her late in the festival, though, they found themselves wondering if they should have thought twice.

“A Light clan, Mama. A Light clan so big that they send away more hatchlings than they keep!” DarkRain wailed when Enigma had dashed off again to show something to one of her new friends. “Did you even think of what they would teach her? Because OF COURSE they were teaching her stuff because they’re LIGHT dragons!!”

Anael fluttered her wings uncomfortably. “Shush, you’re making a scene. It’s not a bad thing that they taught her about exaltation – now we don’t have to do it. And there’s nothing wrong with teaching her about alchemy. She can take over dealing with Baldwin from you. Didn’t you want us to specialize?”

DarkRain glared at Anael. “What is this “us” business?” she demanded. “Until now it’s been ‘my friends’ and ‘my hosts’ but now that you want to tell me what to do suddenly it’s “us” that has to teach Enigma hard things and “us” I want to specialize?”

“Well…” Anael paused uncomfortably. Where was the “us” coming from? She probably needed to think about that one, but not in the middle of a fight in the middle of the festival. “Ok, but am I wrong though?

DarkRain flopped down and fumed, but Viviane put a comforting foreleg over her shoulders. “It’s all right, daughter. Anael can be our guest for just a season yet still care about the clan. The season she gives us enriches our clan even if she leaves again someday. The care she gives us helps us to grow, even if she doesn’t stay to see the flowers she planted come into bloom.” Vivian gestured to the flower garlands she wore. “Her scent will stay among us a year for every season of her presence, and she will carry our scent out into the wider world.”

DarkRain sighed. “All right, all right, I’m sorry. To Anael too. I’m just worried…it seems like just yesterday we were teaching baby Enigma how to say “flower” and now she’s talking about learning to fight, and catching animals to do alchemy with and her claws have a weird sheen on them and…I’m worried. I was hoping she would be the one to stay home and dig for ores and things, and guard the Statue back and, well… stay safe. One bad battle, and the clan could be ended! I can’t let that happen!”

Viviane looked over to where Enigma was coaxing a sparrow to perch on her horns. A Brightwings clan beastmaster was encouraging her, and she grinned at him when the little bird finally took the offered perch.

“It’ll be all right,” she told the others. “Learning to battle makes you strong. Being strong makes you safer. Learning to honor the deities and those who serve them grows your honor. Learning to brew alchemy opens up all kinds of possibilities. Did you see all the leaves the Brightwings alchemist had? It’s scary, but it’ll come out all right in the end.”

“Besides, Stoneguard is watching out for us isn’t he?”

DarkRain and Anael didn’t answer, but the three of them sat for a long time, watching Enigma learning to train her new familiar.

OOC: Festival activities are based on the clan's actual participation in Festival Events. The adults also leveled up to 6 with no particularly close calls, despite the in-story "close call" when they got lost and the ferret-protection group saved them.
[b]Taking Charge[/b] [item=Intact Stone Relief] @NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody, @AdventureChaser Whatever worries she had, DarkRain couldn't deny that Enigma was about to come of age. That night, when the rest of her little clan was asleep and she was still awake fretting, it only seemed logical to take a few odds and ends from the recent hunts to sell for gems in the festival markets, which never seemed to close. If she wasn't going to sleep, she might as well do the clan some good, right? And while she was at it, she might as well look for a coming-of-age gift. She and Mama Viviane had talked about what might be good, so while Enigma was sleeping was the perfect time, right? Right. She tied up some of the popular small, dark-colored deer at posts in the silent auction and then went searching. Or possibly, wandering. Certainly, when the stranger startled her out of her distraction, she couldn't quite recall how she had gotten from there to here. She must have looked worried, because the strange guardian seemed concerned about her. "Pardon me, but is everything all right, young lady? You aren't lost are you?" DarkRain shook her head at older guardian. With his dark stripes, it was no wonder she'd nearly run into him in the dim lighting. "Sorry, sir, I'm afraid I was wool-gathering, as my mother would say. Just thinking too much about tomorrow and not enough about where I put my feet." "Ah, I see." He smiled gently at her, a sympathetic light in his brown eyes. Brown meant...earth-hatched, right? He was still talking though. "I suppose you're at the age for it aren't you? Young, but not a hatchling anymore, and out away from your home territory. You must be on Search, right?" DarkRain blinked at him. The way he said "search" made it sound like it carried as much extra weight as Mama Viviane's "Before," but she had no idea what he could mean. "Well...I [i]am[/i] looking for a special gift for someone," she admitted tentatively. The earth-hatched laughed jovially. "Well, I suppose that's a search of a kind!" he chuckled. "Not quite what I meant though." "I suspected not...I can't think what you did mean, though. Is it an earth-flight thing?" DarkRain asked. The earth guardian goggled at her in horrified shock. "You- but- you-" he sputtered. "You're a guardian!" "...yeeeees?" DarkRain was unnerved by the strength of his reaction. "And you don't know what I meant by your Search?!?" "Um...no?" The other guardian started at her. "Breed changed?" he finally asked. DarkRain shook her head. "Then how??" "How what?" "How can you now know about the Search? At least one of your parents has to have been a guardian! They have to have told you [i]something[/i]!" "Oh, I see, I think. It's because I came from an orphaned egg. My mama is a tundra. And, well, I don't have a father, unless you count Stoneguard, but he's a statue so he can't tell me things." The earth-hatched guardian stared at her in fresh astonishment at her matter-of-fact explanation. "You mother is a tundra, and your father is a [i]sculpture[/i]. And you've no other guardians in your clan at all? So you've never heard of the Search." He shook is head in disbelief. "Well our clan is very small, you see. The Arcanist first had us recorded as a clan on my hatching day, and my little sister is the only other dragon to hatch with us so far. She's a tundra, too." The earth-hatched shook his head again. "Well it's a good thing you ran into me then. You need to know! A guardian is only half a dragon until he finds his Charge. You could have been wandering for years, never knowing why you felt incomplete, and nobody would think to instruct you if you didn't tell them about your strange background. Maybe not even then! Imagine a guardian who didn't know she was Searching! But that's how the Tidelord made us: when we come of age, we are driven to seek out our Charge, that person or thing which we are Meant To Protect. That is the Search - the wandering time when we explore the world and search out whatever it was we were hatched to guard. When you find your Charge, of course, you will know it deep inside, as sure as you know the sun is warm and the earth is solid. You'll never be at rest until you find it though. Mark my words! You have to accept the Search, however far from your first home it may drive you. A guardian without a Charge is only half a dragon!" It was DarkRain's turn to stare at the other in astonished horror. "Leave my [i]clan?!?[/i] Impossible! It would just be mama and Enigma, and maybe Anael, but who knows how long she'd stay? I couldn't possibly do that!" "You have no choice, youngling. Tundras may flock together for life and never look beyond the lair they hatched in, but I tell you the Tidelord did not make guardians that way. A guardian needs a Charge, and your life will be hollow and meaningless without it." "I- we-well, I... I have to go!" DarkRain turned tail and fled through the stalls, her earlier worries fanned to panic by the dire words. [i]Impossible![/i] What did some earth-hatched market vendor know about her? She didn't have to leave her clan. She couldn't leave the clan! [i]A guardian needs a Charge...that's how the Tidelord made us...[/i] But she couldn't go off searching for who-knew what. The clan needed her! She had to make sure Enigma survived her training. She had to make sure Mama kept talking to people who weren't turned to stone. She had to convince Anael to stay. She had to make sure nobody's hulking out-of-its-element familiar came wandering through and broke Stoneguard's tail, and help the clan get bigger, and keep the clan's income up, and... She had to... Oh. She had to [i]protect her clan.[/i] The earth-hatched was right. She knew it as sure as she knew that shade was cool and water was wet. DarkRain stood in a random row of the marketplace, balancing herself against someone's table as her world tilted and suddenly came into a new focus. She had always known this - no. She had known this since her coming of age. She simply hadn't had words for the knowing. She hadn't known that her needing to protect the clan was part of something bigger than herself, or that guardians were actually made that way. She laughed aloud. "I'm a guardian!" she said to herself, in a kind of giddy wonderment. How, indeed, could she have not known what that meant? Of course she knew. She just hadn't known that she knew. Once again, a stranger broke into her reverie. "Are you all right miss? Were you thinking of buying that?" DarkRain looked behind the table. A green and gold fae (could it be cousin to the trader she spoke with every day back home?) was sitting on a tall stool, regarding her with a look of mild concern. "Sorry, sir, I'm afraid I was wool-gathering - again! Just thinking too much about Before and not enough about Now." She looked down at her hand on the corner of the table. It seemed she had slid a sort of hat out of line with its fellows when she stopped to get ahold of her new balance. "I am looking for a gift though, and it has a nice pattern. What do you call it?" "An alchemist's fez," the fae answered, clearly relieved to be talking business. DarkRain had to laugh. "Perfect!" As she returned to the campsite with the fez in a green-wrapped box, DarkRain found herself distracted by only one last though: "I wonder what Stoneguard's Charge is?"
Taking Charge

Intact Stone Relief

@NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody, @AdventureChaser

Whatever worries she had, DarkRain couldn't deny that Enigma was about to come of age. That night, when the rest of her little clan was asleep and she was still awake fretting, it only seemed logical to take a few odds and ends from the recent hunts to sell for gems in the festival markets, which never seemed to close. If she wasn't going to sleep, she might as well do the clan some good, right? And while she was at it, she might as well look for a coming-of-age gift. She and Mama Viviane had talked about what might be good, so while Enigma was sleeping was the perfect time, right? Right.

She tied up some of the popular small, dark-colored deer at posts in the silent auction and then went searching. Or possibly, wandering. Certainly, when the stranger startled her out of her distraction, she couldn't quite recall how she had gotten from there to here. She must have looked worried, because the strange guardian seemed concerned about her.

"Pardon me, but is everything all right, young lady? You aren't lost are you?"

DarkRain shook her head at older guardian. With his dark stripes, it was no wonder she'd nearly run into him in the dim lighting. "Sorry, sir, I'm afraid I was wool-gathering, as my mother would say. Just thinking too much about tomorrow and not enough about where I put my feet."

"Ah, I see." He smiled gently at her, a sympathetic light in his brown eyes. Brown meant...earth-hatched, right? He was still talking though. "I suppose you're at the age for it aren't you? Young, but not a hatchling anymore, and out away from your home territory. You must be on Search, right?"

DarkRain blinked at him. The way he said "search" made it sound like it carried as much extra weight as Mama Viviane's "Before," but she had no idea what he could mean.

"Well...I am looking for a special gift for someone," she admitted tentatively.

The earth-hatched laughed jovially. "Well, I suppose that's a search of a kind!" he chuckled. "Not quite what I meant though."

"I suspected not...I can't think what you did mean, though. Is it an earth-flight thing?" DarkRain asked.

The earth guardian goggled at her in horrified shock. "You- but- you-" he sputtered. "You're a guardian!"

"...yeeeees?" DarkRain was unnerved by the strength of his reaction.

"And you don't know what I meant by your Search?!?"

"Um...no?"

The other guardian started at her. "Breed changed?" he finally asked. DarkRain shook her head. "Then how??"

"How what?"

"How can you now know about the Search? At least one of your parents has to have been a guardian! They have to have told you something!"

"Oh, I see, I think. It's because I came from an orphaned egg. My mama is a tundra. And, well, I don't have a father, unless you count Stoneguard, but he's a statue so he can't tell me things."

The earth-hatched guardian stared at her in fresh astonishment at her matter-of-fact explanation. "You mother is a tundra, and your father is a sculpture. And you've no other guardians in your clan at all? So you've never heard of the Search." He shook is head in disbelief.

"Well our clan is very small, you see. The Arcanist first had us recorded as a clan on my hatching day, and my little sister is the only other dragon to hatch with us so far. She's a tundra, too."

The earth-hatched shook his head again. "Well it's a good thing you ran into me then. You need to know! A guardian is only half a dragon until he finds his Charge. You could have been wandering for years, never knowing why you felt incomplete, and nobody would think to instruct you if you didn't tell them about your strange background. Maybe not even then! Imagine a guardian who didn't know she was Searching! But that's how the Tidelord made us: when we come of age, we are driven to seek out our Charge, that person or thing which we are Meant To Protect. That is the Search - the wandering time when we explore the world and search out whatever it was we were hatched to guard. When you find your Charge, of course, you will know it deep inside, as sure as you know the sun is warm and the earth is solid. You'll never be at rest until you find it though. Mark my words! You have to accept the Search, however far from your first home it may drive you. A guardian without a Charge is only half a dragon!"

It was DarkRain's turn to stare at the other in astonished horror. "Leave my clan?!? Impossible! It would just be mama and Enigma, and maybe Anael, but who knows how long she'd stay? I couldn't possibly do that!"

"You have no choice, youngling. Tundras may flock together for life and never look beyond the lair they hatched in, but I tell you the Tidelord did not make guardians that way. A guardian needs a Charge, and your life will be hollow and meaningless without it."

"I- we-well, I... I have to go!" DarkRain turned tail and fled through the stalls, her earlier worries fanned to panic by the dire words. Impossible! What did some earth-hatched market vendor know about her? She didn't have to leave her clan. She couldn't leave the clan! A guardian needs a Charge...that's how the Tidelord made us... But she couldn't go off searching for who-knew what. The clan needed her!

She had to make sure Enigma survived her training. She had to make sure Mama kept talking to people who weren't turned to stone. She had to convince Anael to stay. She had to make sure nobody's hulking out-of-its-element familiar came wandering through and broke Stoneguard's tail, and help the clan get bigger, and keep the clan's income up, and...

She had to...

Oh.

She had to protect her clan.

The earth-hatched was right. She knew it as sure as she knew that shade was cool and water was wet.

DarkRain stood in a random row of the marketplace, balancing herself against someone's table as her world tilted and suddenly came into a new focus. She had always known this - no. She had known this since her coming of age. She simply hadn't had words for the knowing. She hadn't known that her needing to protect the clan was part of something bigger than herself, or that guardians were actually made that way. She laughed aloud. "I'm a guardian!" she said to herself, in a kind of giddy wonderment. How, indeed, could she have not known what that meant? Of course she knew. She just hadn't known that she knew.

Once again, a stranger broke into her reverie. "Are you all right miss? Were you thinking of buying that?"

DarkRain looked behind the table. A green and gold fae (could it be cousin to the trader she spoke with every day back home?) was sitting on a tall stool, regarding her with a look of mild concern.

"Sorry, sir, I'm afraid I was wool-gathering - again! Just thinking too much about Before and not enough about Now." She looked down at her hand on the corner of the table. It seemed she had slid a sort of hat out of line with its fellows when she stopped to get ahold of her new balance. "I am looking for a gift though, and it has a nice pattern. What do you call it?"

"An alchemist's fez," the fae answered, clearly relieved to be talking business.

DarkRain had to laugh. "Perfect!"

As she returned to the campsite with the fez in a green-wrapped box, DarkRain found herself distracted by only one last though:

"I wonder what Stoneguard's Charge is?"
@amongthestars
I need to be on the ping list for this. It's awesome. ♥
@amongthestars
I need to be on the ping list for this. It's awesome. ♥
7GFlGJN.pngUQye6pN.pngMrRCllp.pngw7zrq5X.pngJ62sYF0.pnghgDH6fo.png9My5I2b.pngiibnNpu.pngDBFJoJn.pngA3L5B4e.pngzjJqiVN.png
v8f8ZKI.png
@Wildehearted

Thank you for saying so :D I'll be gad to add you.
@Wildehearted

Thank you for saying so :D I'll be gad to add you.
@AmongTheStars ah I have been hoping for more good Nuzlockes to come along! I would be quite glad to be added to the pinglist :3
@AmongTheStars ah I have been hoping for more good Nuzlockes to come along! I would be quite glad to be added to the pinglist :3
Professional Grump

I live for memes
@AmongTheStars Could you add me to the pinglist too? I'm loving this story
@AmongTheStars Could you add me to the pinglist too? I'm loving this story
e2V12xK.png
@ArgenteaMoon, @Fairyn
I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'll be glad to add you :)
@ArgenteaMoon, @Fairyn
I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'll be glad to add you :)
@AmongTheStars
Could you add me as well, please? I love your take on the site lore.
@AmongTheStars
Could you add me as well, please? I love your take on the site lore.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

There is a story update coming; I had some trouble with it until I realized I needed to divide it into two posts. It might end up being a double update! Expect that no later than tomorrow (by FR dates).
I scavenged another wind egg! Is it just me, or have I been crazy super-lucky so far?

There is a story update coming; I had some trouble with it until I realized I needed to divide it into two posts. It might end up being a double update! Expect that no later than tomorrow (by FR dates).
@AmongTheStars
Put me on the pinglist please!
@AmongTheStars
Put me on the pinglist please!
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 30