Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stone Guardian [Nuzlocke]
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29 30
[b]Little Brothers[/b] [item=stone fertility statue] @NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody, @AdventureChaser, @Wildehearted, @ArgenteaMoon, @Fairyn, @ScienceGal8, @IronPen, @Neloth, @BarbaraFett The night of their return, DarkRain praised the Living Sculpture for protecting the lair, and fed it a treat, and instructed it to keep guarding the entrance. Then, to her dismay, Viviane insisted on going back outside and shooing Sithi to one side of the nest, and curling up with the nature egg on the other side. DarkRain kept vigil in the doorway all night in the doorway (well, [i]most[/i] of the night, but the others didn't need to know that), watching Sithi suspiciously with the Living Sculpture by her side. The next day was almost oppressively warm. The eggs barely needed the two women there to warm them, but both refused to leave them all the same. Viviane curled up on the side of the nest nearest Stoneguard's head, humming lullabies and occasionally talking to Stoneguard in low tones. Sithi coiled around the other two eggs on the side at Stoneguard's tail, repairing her "diagnostic crystals" and occasionally giving Viviane dubious "are you sure you're sane" looks under one wing. DarkRain insisted on someone else from the clan being present at all times, because "We don't even know this crazy noc, and we're taking the word of [i]Stoneguard[/i] that she's safe?" Enigma switched off shifts with her so the chores could get done. Enigma was on duty at lunch time, and brought them both food. "Don't worry, Mama, you won't be stuck in the nest long. Remember, the wildclaw lady said we had to be extra careful not to wake the egg because they figured it was almost ready to hatch anyway, and if it got too warm it'd hatch out right in the carry-bag. If it was really that close, it could hatch any time now." Viviane nodded. "It's not a problem though. Stoneguard is plenty long enough to shelter the five of us." "Five? Oh, with the three eggs, right." "Never forget, daughter, eggs are people too." Viviane nuzzled the nature egg. "They're just very small people that need some extra protecting." Enigma nodded and sat down with her own bowl of greenpod salad. DarkRain eventually came back and shooed her off to go check on her latest alchemy project. The guardian tried to cover up her suspicion by chatting with Sithi, who for her part talked amiably enough about her journey. Traveling was the safe subject of the day, since everyone had been traveling one way or another. DarkRain thought it odd that Sithi kept interrupting herself whenever she thought to start talking about she had been doing with the crystals, but chalked it up to Viviane's obvious dislike of the subject; Anael lurked about in the trees or behind Stoneguard and threw pebbles or pinecones at Sithi's tail whenever she tried to broach the subject. The nature hatchling decided he'd had enough of his shell before supper time. Whereas Enigma had struggled to widen a hole large enough and then crawled out, leaving the rest of her egg still in one piece, the nature hatchling struggled and rocked his egg, then finally made one great push, cracking a huge opening, and rolled out of the egg. It flattened behind him into a short trail of pieces. The adults laughed in delight as he struggled to get his head and feet pointed in the right directions. Viviane nosed him gently upright, and he clung to her nose, looking around curiously. "It's definitely a boy! Are we still agreed on Wyeth?" The Stoneguard women had actually agreed on potential male and female names while they were travelling, so DarkRain, Enigma, and Anael all chimed in quickly with their agreements, and after a small but frantic search, DarkRain fetched her parchment and wrote it down. "Hatchling, I declare you Wyeth of clan Stoneguard! And Sithi, if you ever put my clan rolls in with the note-writing scraps again, I'll have your hide for parchment." "But it was torn and - oh, fine. I know better now, it won't happen again." [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24271985] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/242720/24271985_350.png[/img] [/url] Sithi's little brother came out just [i]after[/i] dinner. He wiggled, rocked, and rolled his egg, but at first managed only to make small cracks in two places. Sithi was starting to look concerned when he finally head-butted the shell between the cracks, and burst out wearing that section of shell like a hat. He was not, in fact, a nocturne; Sithi didn't seem surprised. The head beneath the shell-hat was four-eyed and crested. The little mirror ate bits off the edge of the shell until he could get all the way out, then took a rest, then ate the remainder. Enigma was inclined to take it away from him ("That can't be safe to eat!") but Sithi assured her that all mirrors did, and Viviane chimed in to point out that DarkRain had done the same thing with hers. "It's actually full of useful vitamins and minerals," Anael chimed in, "So a lot of breeds eat them, and many animals do the same. Not to mention Pearlcatchers, since that's actually a different situation." "What are you going to call you're, ah, brother then?" DarkRain asked Sithi, to distract Enigma. "Oh, you should call him Anik," Enigma suggested. "I read it in a book the Light people had - it means 'little brother." "I've actually been thinking of calling him Anakin; I've heard it means something like 'whether hidden or obvious,' and I think it kind of works for him - he is who he is, whether some crazy prophecy has anything to do with him or whether he's just a hatchling with no more or less potential than any other." Sithi considered the sleepy hatchling a moment. "He needs a clan. Will you record him into yours?" "What? No! You said he was [i]your[/i] brother!" DarkRain exclaimed, not angrily but with a sort of that-can't-be-right expression. "Yeah, but Jed is my brother too, and with so many of us out traveling, [i]he[/i] uses magic to keep track of the clan. If I name the hatchling, he'll show up as my [i]son[/i], which is wrong anyway, but what's worse is Jed will see it and know for sure that I took him, and then he'll definitely come after us both!" Anael twitched and gave Stoneguard a hard stare. Viviane spoke up to say, "Stoneguard said they can stay, so they can stay. Write him into the clan, DarkRain." "Are you...absolutely sure, Mama Viviane? I mean, I believe you that Stoneguard is alive but...nobody else can hear him talking, so..." DarkRain trailed off unhappily. "Anael can hear him, can't you Anael?" Anael shook her head. "I can tell he's doing something, and I can sort of tell that it's connected to you, but I sense it in my antennae, not my ears." "Oh. Well, I suppose I don't sense it in my ears either, come to think of it...I sort of...that is, I...I kind of...huh." Viviane paused to try and sort out what she was trying to say, finally ending with, "So it's just magic, then?" Anael nodded. DarkRain cleared her throat, and asked, "So just to be completely clear, Anael. You're saying you can sense that Stoneguard is doing magic that might come across as saying something to Mama." Anael nodded again. "Yesterday, when I was right under him, I could almost fell how it made...not words exactly, but word-ideas? I don't think anyone but Viviane would be able to 'hear' it from more than a length away though." Anael blinked at DarkRain. "A me-length, I mean, not a you-length. You make four of me." DarkRain looked at the Statue in wonderment. "Wow. I was wrong. I told that guardian at the festival that Stoneguard couldn't tell me things, but now I'm wondering if some of the stuff I thought I imagined as a hatchling wasn't quite that imaginary after all. I used to spend my middays right underneath him in the nest you know, for the shade." Anael and Sithi stared back at her in equal wonderment, but DarkRain seemed not to notice. "Well. OK, so Stoneguard votes to adopt. He's still not the whole clan, what do the rest of you say? We might be bringing trouble down on our heads here." "I vote with Stoneguard," Viviane said staunchly. "And you should too!" "I vote to adopt any orphan who needs it, if we possibly can," Enigma said. "You know that." DarkRain looked at Anael. "What? I'm not...well...Hm. It happens I've heard this prophecy - I think, if I've guessed rightly which one Sithi is referring to - and I have to say that I couldn't name a better place than here for trying to make sure it doesn't go wrong. Besides, the clan needs males or it'll die out anyway, and that would be sad." "I guess if everyone agrees then... Hatchling, I declare you Anakin of clan Stoneguard! We'll probably call you Anik for short." DarkRain nodded to Enigma for her contribution to the naming. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24272117] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/242722/24272117_350.png[/img] [/url] "It's late," Sithi commented, once Anakin had been written into the clan rolls. "You should take the hatchlings inside before they get cold. I'll stay with the last egg for you - it's not like I have a nest in there that I'm letting go to waste." With a cold mist starting to rise, nobody could argue with that; a mirror hatchling wouldn't deal with cold weather as well as a tundra. She watched little Anakin until he was out of sight in the shadows of the lair, then curled up around the wind egg with a sigh. "I hope [i]you[/i] know what you're doing, stone-guy, because I'm not so sure I do," Sithi whispered. If Stoneguard had an answer, Sithi couldn't hear it. OOC: I promise this isn't going to turn into a full-fledged StarWars parody, but when I was given a dragon named Sithi...with a sibling rivalry with a brother named Jedil...and then I was trying to decide where the scavenged eggs would come from in the story... Well, I just couldn't help it! References aside though, Sithi is actually [i]Baldwin's[/i] opposite: "Most people think magic is an art, but I know it is a science!"
Little Brothers

Stone Fertility Statue

@NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody, @AdventureChaser, @Wildehearted, @ArgenteaMoon, @Fairyn, @ScienceGal8, @IronPen, @Neloth, @BarbaraFett

The night of their return, DarkRain praised the Living Sculpture for protecting the lair, and fed it a treat, and instructed it to keep guarding the entrance. Then, to her dismay, Viviane insisted on going back outside and shooing Sithi to one side of the nest, and curling up with the nature egg on the other side. DarkRain kept vigil in the doorway all night in the doorway (well, most of the night, but the others didn't need to know that), watching Sithi suspiciously with the Living Sculpture by her side.

The next day was almost oppressively warm. The eggs barely needed the two women there to warm them, but both refused to leave them all the same. Viviane curled up on the side of the nest nearest Stoneguard's head, humming lullabies and occasionally talking to Stoneguard in low tones. Sithi coiled around the other two eggs on the side at Stoneguard's tail, repairing her "diagnostic crystals" and occasionally giving Viviane dubious "are you sure you're sane" looks under one wing. DarkRain insisted on someone else from the clan being present at all times, because "We don't even know this crazy noc, and we're taking the word of Stoneguard that she's safe?" Enigma switched off shifts with her so the chores could get done.

Enigma was on duty at lunch time, and brought them both food. "Don't worry, Mama, you won't be stuck in the nest long. Remember, the wildclaw lady said we had to be extra careful not to wake the egg because they figured it was almost ready to hatch anyway, and if it got too warm it'd hatch out right in the carry-bag. If it was really that close, it could hatch any time now."

Viviane nodded. "It's not a problem though. Stoneguard is plenty long enough to shelter the five of us."

"Five? Oh, with the three eggs, right."

"Never forget, daughter, eggs are people too." Viviane nuzzled the nature egg. "They're just very small people that need some extra protecting."

Enigma nodded and sat down with her own bowl of greenpod salad. DarkRain eventually came back and shooed her off to go check on her latest alchemy project. The guardian tried to cover up her suspicion by chatting with Sithi, who for her part talked amiably enough about her journey. Traveling was the safe subject of the day, since everyone had been traveling one way or another. DarkRain thought it odd that Sithi kept interrupting herself whenever she thought to start talking about she had been doing with the crystals, but chalked it up to Viviane's obvious dislike of the subject; Anael lurked about in the trees or behind Stoneguard and threw pebbles or pinecones at Sithi's tail whenever she tried to broach the subject.

The nature hatchling decided he'd had enough of his shell before supper time. Whereas Enigma had struggled to widen a hole large enough and then crawled out, leaving the rest of her egg still in one piece, the nature hatchling struggled and rocked his egg, then finally made one great push, cracking a huge opening, and rolled out of the egg. It flattened behind him into a short trail of pieces. The adults laughed in delight as he struggled to get his head and feet pointed in the right directions. Viviane nosed him gently upright, and he clung to her nose, looking around curiously.

"It's definitely a boy! Are we still agreed on Wyeth?" The Stoneguard women had actually agreed on potential male and female names while they were travelling, so DarkRain, Enigma, and Anael all chimed in quickly with their agreements, and after a small but frantic search, DarkRain fetched her parchment and wrote it down. "Hatchling, I declare you Wyeth of clan Stoneguard! And Sithi, if you ever put my clan rolls in with the note-writing scraps again, I'll have your hide for parchment."

"But it was torn and - oh, fine. I know better now, it won't happen again."

24271985_350.png

Sithi's little brother came out just after dinner. He wiggled, rocked, and rolled his egg, but at first managed only to make small cracks in two places. Sithi was starting to look concerned when he finally head-butted the shell between the cracks, and burst out wearing that section of shell like a hat. He was not, in fact, a nocturne; Sithi didn't seem surprised. The head beneath the shell-hat was four-eyed and crested. The little mirror ate bits off the edge of the shell until he could get all the way out, then took a rest, then ate the remainder. Enigma was inclined to take it away from him ("That can't be safe to eat!") but Sithi assured her that all mirrors did, and Viviane chimed in to point out that DarkRain had done the same thing with hers. "It's actually full of useful vitamins and minerals," Anael chimed in, "So a lot of breeds eat them, and many animals do the same. Not to mention Pearlcatchers, since that's actually a different situation."

"What are you going to call you're, ah, brother then?" DarkRain asked Sithi, to distract Enigma.

"Oh, you should call him Anik," Enigma suggested. "I read it in a book the Light people had - it means 'little brother."

"I've actually been thinking of calling him Anakin; I've heard it means something like 'whether hidden or obvious,' and I think it kind of works for him - he is who he is, whether some crazy prophecy has anything to do with him or whether he's just a hatchling with no more or less potential than any other." Sithi considered the sleepy hatchling a moment. "He needs a clan. Will you record him into yours?"

"What? No! You said he was your brother!" DarkRain exclaimed, not angrily but with a sort of that-can't-be-right expression.

"Yeah, but Jed is my brother too, and with so many of us out traveling, he uses magic to keep track of the clan. If I name the hatchling, he'll show up as my son, which is wrong anyway, but what's worse is Jed will see it and know for sure that I took him, and then he'll definitely come after us both!"

Anael twitched and gave Stoneguard a hard stare. Viviane spoke up to say, "Stoneguard said they can stay, so they can stay. Write him into the clan, DarkRain."

"Are you...absolutely sure, Mama Viviane? I mean, I believe you that Stoneguard is alive but...nobody else can hear him talking, so..." DarkRain trailed off unhappily.

"Anael can hear him, can't you Anael?"

Anael shook her head. "I can tell he's doing something, and I can sort of tell that it's connected to you, but I sense it in my antennae, not my ears."

"Oh. Well, I suppose I don't sense it in my ears either, come to think of it...I sort of...that is, I...I kind of...huh." Viviane paused to try and sort out what she was trying to say, finally ending with, "So it's just magic, then?"

Anael nodded. DarkRain cleared her throat, and asked, "So just to be completely clear, Anael. You're saying you can sense that Stoneguard is doing magic that might come across as saying something to Mama." Anael nodded again.

"Yesterday, when I was right under him, I could almost fell how it made...not words exactly, but word-ideas? I don't think anyone but Viviane would be able to 'hear' it from more than a length away though." Anael blinked at DarkRain. "A me-length, I mean, not a you-length. You make four of me."

DarkRain looked at the Statue in wonderment. "Wow. I was wrong. I told that guardian at the festival that Stoneguard couldn't tell me things, but now I'm wondering if some of the stuff I thought I imagined as a hatchling wasn't quite that imaginary after all. I used to spend my middays right underneath him in the nest you know, for the shade." Anael and Sithi stared back at her in equal wonderment, but DarkRain seemed not to notice. "Well. OK, so Stoneguard votes to adopt. He's still not the whole clan, what do the rest of you say? We might be bringing trouble down on our heads here."

"I vote with Stoneguard," Viviane said staunchly. "And you should too!"

"I vote to adopt any orphan who needs it, if we possibly can," Enigma said. "You know that."

DarkRain looked at Anael. "What? I'm not...well...Hm. It happens I've heard this prophecy - I think, if I've guessed rightly which one Sithi is referring to - and I have to say that I couldn't name a better place than here for trying to make sure it doesn't go wrong. Besides, the clan needs males or it'll die out anyway, and that would be sad."

"I guess if everyone agrees then... Hatchling, I declare you Anakin of clan Stoneguard! We'll probably call you Anik for short." DarkRain nodded to Enigma for her contribution to the naming.

24272117_350.png

"It's late," Sithi commented, once Anakin had been written into the clan rolls. "You should take the hatchlings inside before they get cold. I'll stay with the last egg for you - it's not like I have a nest in there that I'm letting go to waste." With a cold mist starting to rise, nobody could argue with that; a mirror hatchling wouldn't deal with cold weather as well as a tundra. She watched little Anakin until he was out of sight in the shadows of the lair, then curled up around the wind egg with a sigh. "I hope you know what you're doing, stone-guy, because I'm not so sure I do," Sithi whispered.

If Stoneguard had an answer, Sithi couldn't hear it.

OOC: I promise this isn't going to turn into a full-fledged StarWars parody, but when I was given a dragon named Sithi...with a sibling rivalry with a brother named Jedil...and then I was trying to decide where the scavenged eggs would come from in the story... Well, I just couldn't help it! References aside though, Sithi is actually Baldwin's opposite: "Most people think magic is an art, but I know it is a science!"
@AbovetheStars haha I didn't actually spot the star wars reference. I mean obviously Anakin, but I'm pretty sure Anakin is an ordinary name outside of star wars.

As for Sithi's oppositeness to Baldwin, I've always felt FR magic was probably perfectly observable and "scientific" anyway ... (Baldwin's "ooh it an art" thing kinda annoys me, honestly!)
@AbovetheStars haha I didn't actually spot the star wars reference. I mean obviously Anakin, but I'm pretty sure Anakin is an ordinary name outside of star wars.

As for Sithi's oppositeness to Baldwin, I've always felt FR magic was probably perfectly observable and "scientific" anyway ... (Baldwin's "ooh it an art" thing kinda annoys me, honestly!)
Professional Grump

I live for memes
@AmongTheStars : This is brilliant. The Star Wars parallels just make it even better than it already was. Thank you so much for writing this, and I can't wait to see whether, and how, the prophecy is fulfilled in this story. :) (No pressure - the whole story doesn't have to be about that; the parts based on FlightRising site lore are fantastic, too.)
@AmongTheStars : This is brilliant. The Star Wars parallels just make it even better than it already was. Thank you so much for writing this, and I can't wait to see whether, and how, the prophecy is fulfilled in this story. :) (No pressure - the whole story doesn't have to be about that; the parts based on FlightRising site lore are fantastic, too.)
@AmongTheStars
Haha, the funny thing is Aniki is the romanji way to spell a Japanese word for big brother, if the Wind baby calls him that I will laugh.

Wonderful way to write Anakin in though!...I also never paid attnetion to Baldwin so...my headcanon was that magic did have it laws that it followed and only in unusual circumstances or non-draconic or Arcane influenced magic ever acted otherwise.

Also do you need name idea for the last boy?
@AmongTheStars
Haha, the funny thing is Aniki is the romanji way to spell a Japanese word for big brother, if the Wind baby calls him that I will laugh.

Wonderful way to write Anakin in though!...I also never paid attnetion to Baldwin so...my headcanon was that magic did have it laws that it followed and only in unusual circumstances or non-draconic or Arcane influenced magic ever acted otherwise.

Also do you need name idea for the last boy?
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
@IronPen I do actually. If it matters, pretend he's a spiral.
@IronPen I do actually. If it matters, pretend he's a spiral.
@AmongTheStars
*winks* That's what the Scrying Workshop is for. And I have a baby name app just for this occasion, sadly most none human names we'll have to come up with on our own.

I do love Maelstrom as a name and always recommend when possible but also Zephyr, Boreas, Aeolus, Aquilo, Favonius, Notus, Eurus, Auster and Subsolanus are all names of the greek and roman wind gods. Beval means like the wind which could also be taken in temperament as well as element. Jamin means south wind and right hand of favor, plus sounds like jamming to music. Makani is Hawaiian for Wind, Nodin and Niyol for Native American languages,

Riot would work well for that bright Fuchsia since it is a riot of color combines with Saffron. Gaius can mean to rejoice. Morgan means lives by the sea which is true in Arcane. Sharpie because of markers, Crayola for the same reason on crayons(with 250 colors!). Koga after the gym leader in Fuchsia City.

Akeno means bright as does Feivel and Zerah.
@AmongTheStars
*winks* That's what the Scrying Workshop is for. And I have a baby name app just for this occasion, sadly most none human names we'll have to come up with on our own.

I do love Maelstrom as a name and always recommend when possible but also Zephyr, Boreas, Aeolus, Aquilo, Favonius, Notus, Eurus, Auster and Subsolanus are all names of the greek and roman wind gods. Beval means like the wind which could also be taken in temperament as well as element. Jamin means south wind and right hand of favor, plus sounds like jamming to music. Makani is Hawaiian for Wind, Nodin and Niyol for Native American languages,

Riot would work well for that bright Fuchsia since it is a riot of color combines with Saffron. Gaius can mean to rejoice. Morgan means lives by the sea which is true in Arcane. Sharpie because of markers, Crayola for the same reason on crayons(with 250 colors!). Koga after the gym leader in Fuchsia City.

Akeno means bright as does Feivel and Zerah.
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
@AmongTheStars This is seriously the best Nuzlocke I have read in a long time. Please add me to the pinglist! :)
@AmongTheStars This is seriously the best Nuzlocke I have read in a long time. Please add me to the pinglist! :)
@Firewood Thank you very much, I would be glad to :)
@Firewood Thank you very much, I would be glad to :)
[b]Favorable Wind[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=170&bodygene=0&breed=7&element=3&gender=0&tert=37&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=84&auth=a271c09f3ec360f8666d57efb8bbb82f651a9246&dummyext=prev.png[/img] @NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody, @AdventureChaser, @Wildehearted, @ArgenteaMoon, @Fairyn, @ScienceGal8, @IronPen, @Neloth, @BarbaraFett, @Firewood Sithi woke up the next day to a strange feeling of absence. It took her several moments to put a claw down on what was missing - the egg! Where had the egg gone? She surged up in a panic - and promptly smacked her head on the Statue's stone belly-fin again. DarkRain, breakfasting on leftover jerky in the main chamber of the lair, hear it like this: "Oh no - OW! Ow, ow, where are you hatchie? Here hatchie, come out, come out, ow-ow-ow. They're going to kick me out for sure...come back little hatchie, where are you? Oh my head, here hatchling! Oh no, oh ow, where are you?" DarkRain put her head out the entrance and had to laugh. Sithi was searching around in the bushes and other ground cover behind Stoneguard, her blue scarf highlighting her location in the undergrowth. She raised a hand to rub her head every third step or so. Meanwhile, behind her, Stoneguard himself appeared to be wearing a bright pink scarf of his own, though it was smaller than Sithi's and much too small for him. It took a minute or two of consideration before it dawned on DarkRain what the bright neckwear actually was, and then she laughed even harder - and this time, loud enough for Sithi to hear. The nocturne jumped guiltily - and whacked the lump on her head on a branch of the shrub she was looking under. "Oh- OW ow ow [i]ow[/i] - oh my poor cracked skull...DarkRain! I didn't see you there! This isn't what it looks like - " "Are you sure? It looks to me like you are having an entirely unnecessary panic attack over a hatchling who is sleeping safe and secure in plain sight of the lair." Sithi paused her head rubbing. "...in plain sight, you say." "Mhmm!" DarkRain grinned at her. "Come over here, it'll be easier to spot her. Or him. Do you know which yet?" "Nnnot yet...but we hatched two boys yesterday, surely this one will turn out to be the girl of the clutch?" Sithi paced around the statue and stood next to DarkRain. "I still don't see her. And hey, how come other people can put random stuff on the Statue but I can't put my [i]perfectly safe[/i] diagnostic crystals? Ugh, clashy colors too, for shame - but first things first! Are you sure I can see her from here?" DarkRain was already laughing again. "Yep, I'm really, really sure! Since I can vouch that the hatchling is safe, maybe you should go ahead and take a closer look at that random stuff, see if you can figure out who put it there and why." Sithi gave DarkRain a suspicious look. "You're setting me up for something." "It's nothing bad, I promise. You'll laugh too!" "...OK then..." Sithi walked closer to Stoneguard, examining the bright ribbon of whatever-it-was. The fuscia bit seemed to be a central stripe, and the orangey bits some kind of fluttery attachments. Suddenly, the largest pair of the "fluttery attachments" stre-e-etched wide, and the whole thing squiggled around and resettled in a new position. Sithi's jaw dropped, and then she also sat back on her haunches and broke into uproarious laughter. "Admit it - she managed to hatch out without waking you up," DarkRain teased Sithi with a grin. "Yes, fine, I admit it. I should've guessed. I mean, spirals are only [i]the[/i] most common species of wind dragon. Or she could've been a fae, you'd think that would occur to me, arcane territory and all. I just didn't think to look [i]up[/i] for a brand new hatchling. Most breeds take a day or three to get on their wings, you know?" "She's not even that far up." DarkRain walked the rest of the way down to Stoneguard and stroked the little spiral along the spine. "She found a great sunning spot right by the nest, after all. Actually...Hm, yes, we should be saying 'He' found a great spot." Sithi shook her aching head. "I don't know if I'd call that spot great, but I can't deny it gets a good exposure to the morning sun. Let's get him down and introduce him to his nest-brothers." DarkRain nodded and tickled the baby awake. He blinked big eyes at her, and arched his coils against her hand as the stroked his back again, and soon she had him securely coiled about one wrist. "We should call him Fashion - he's a scarf! He's a bracelet!" "Maybe if he was a she," Sithi countered, with a lopsided grin, "But since he isn't, and seeing as how we have no clue where he came from, maybe something to honor the Windsinger who made him?" DarkRain raised an eye ridge at her. "You think he's one of Enigma's mythical fresh-deity-made eggs?" "Well, I meant more that the Windsinger is the father of spirals and he's a spiral, and since that is the only family connection we can actually be sure of, it might be something to think about for names. But you know, people bring up that rumor any time there's a really mysterioius egg, so we might as well take it into account." Sithi gave a sort of 'that's that' nod. "Did my bag end up taken in with the hoard? I'm hungry, it's time for some breakfast beetles and maybe a head bandage." The hatchling ended up spilling the breakfast beetles, and then ate nearly half of what was left. Enigma took the moth wings she had been slicing up for him, and slipped them to Sithi instead. Then Viviane took the hatchlings outside while the others got out the scrolls Enigma had brought back with her, looking for good names. At lunch time, they brought food outside and discovered that Viviane had been teaching Wyeth and the spiral to burrow, in consequence of which they were all covered in dirt. The babies, it turned out, were full; Anakin had successfully hunted his first satin mouse, Wyeth had eaten the grasses displaced from the openings of the practice burrows, and the spiral had feasted on earth worms and other bugs they had found while digging. "Well, Viviane, have you named your youngest student yet?" Anael asked, brushing dirt out of Wyeth's fur. "The best name I thought of was Windy, because of the winding tunnels he makes. I'm afraid everyone would just pronounce it windy though, like the weather, because of his being a spiral and wind element. Did you find a better name in Enigma's scrolls?" "We're thinking Jamin," Enigma answered for them. "It's a word for a south wind, and it also means Right Hand of Favor in a beastclans language - it wasn't clear which one - so that's a neat thought if you believe the rumors of fresh-created eggs. Or even if you don't, but still think it's a fun story." Viviane nodded. "That's better than Windy." "All right then." DarkRain flourished her scroll of names. "Hatchling, I declare you Jamin of clan Stoneguard!" Jamin flew around the clearing, excited by all the attention, and then accidentally caught one of his rear leg-wings under a forearm somehow. He more or less crashed into a bush, crying piteously until DarkRain loped over and gently untangled him. Moments later he was giggling again, and playing a game of beep-the-nose with Wyeth and Anakin. Jamin reached down to bat at their muzzles, while his brothers waved their hands in the air, swatting at his head in return. "Well, Mama, I'd say Wyeth and Anakin are going to learn to fly in record time! What do you think?" Enigma giggled. "I think it's a fine thing for them all to have clutchmates to grow up with," Viviane answered. "One thing's for sure though - DarkRain is going to be [i]very[/i] busy for a while, trying to keep [i]this[/i] clutch out of trouble!" OOC: Ok, there's everyone hatched and named! Now I'm off to search the coliseum for meat.
Favorable Wind

dragon?age=0&body=170&bodygene=0&breed=7&element=3&gender=0&tert=37&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=84&auth=a271c09f3ec360f8666d57efb8bbb82f651a9246&dummyext=prev.png

@NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody, @AdventureChaser, @Wildehearted, @ArgenteaMoon, @Fairyn, @ScienceGal8, @IronPen, @Neloth, @BarbaraFett, @Firewood

Sithi woke up the next day to a strange feeling of absence. It took her several moments to put a claw down on what was missing - the egg! Where had the egg gone? She surged up in a panic - and promptly smacked her head on the Statue's stone belly-fin again.

DarkRain, breakfasting on leftover jerky in the main chamber of the lair, hear it like this: "Oh no - OW! Ow, ow, where are you hatchie? Here hatchie, come out, come out, ow-ow-ow. They're going to kick me out for sure...come back little hatchie, where are you? Oh my head, here hatchling! Oh no, oh ow, where are you?"

DarkRain put her head out the entrance and had to laugh. Sithi was searching around in the bushes and other ground cover behind Stoneguard, her blue scarf highlighting her location in the undergrowth. She raised a hand to rub her head every third step or so. Meanwhile, behind her, Stoneguard himself appeared to be wearing a bright pink scarf of his own, though it was smaller than Sithi's and much too small for him. It took a minute or two of consideration before it dawned on DarkRain what the bright neckwear actually was, and then she laughed even harder - and this time, loud enough for Sithi to hear.

The nocturne jumped guiltily - and whacked the lump on her head on a branch of the shrub she was looking under. "Oh- OW ow ow ow - oh my poor cracked skull...DarkRain! I didn't see you there! This isn't what it looks like - "

"Are you sure? It looks to me like you are having an entirely unnecessary panic attack over a hatchling who is sleeping safe and secure in plain sight of the lair."

Sithi paused her head rubbing. "...in plain sight, you say."

"Mhmm!" DarkRain grinned at her. "Come over here, it'll be easier to spot her. Or him. Do you know which yet?"

"Nnnot yet...but we hatched two boys yesterday, surely this one will turn out to be the girl of the clutch?" Sithi paced around the statue and stood next to DarkRain. "I still don't see her. And hey, how come other people can put random stuff on the Statue but I can't put my perfectly safe diagnostic crystals? Ugh, clashy colors too, for shame - but first things first! Are you sure I can see her from here?"

DarkRain was already laughing again. "Yep, I'm really, really sure! Since I can vouch that the hatchling is safe, maybe you should go ahead and take a closer look at that random stuff, see if you can figure out who put it there and why."

Sithi gave DarkRain a suspicious look. "You're setting me up for something."

"It's nothing bad, I promise. You'll laugh too!"

"...OK then..." Sithi walked closer to Stoneguard, examining the bright ribbon of whatever-it-was. The fuscia bit seemed to be a central stripe, and the orangey bits some kind of fluttery attachments.

Suddenly, the largest pair of the "fluttery attachments" stre-e-etched wide, and the whole thing squiggled around and resettled in a new position. Sithi's jaw dropped, and then she also sat back on her haunches and broke into uproarious laughter.

"Admit it - she managed to hatch out without waking you up," DarkRain teased Sithi with a grin.

"Yes, fine, I admit it. I should've guessed. I mean, spirals are only the most common species of wind dragon. Or she could've been a fae, you'd think that would occur to me, arcane territory and all. I just didn't think to look up for a brand new hatchling. Most breeds take a day or three to get on their wings, you know?"

"She's not even that far up." DarkRain walked the rest of the way down to Stoneguard and stroked the little spiral along the spine. "She found a great sunning spot right by the nest, after all. Actually...Hm, yes, we should be saying 'He' found a great spot."

Sithi shook her aching head. "I don't know if I'd call that spot great, but I can't deny it gets a good exposure to the morning sun. Let's get him down and introduce him to his nest-brothers."

DarkRain nodded and tickled the baby awake. He blinked big eyes at her, and arched his coils against her hand as the stroked his back again, and soon she had him securely coiled about one wrist. "We should call him Fashion - he's a scarf! He's a bracelet!"

"Maybe if he was a she," Sithi countered, with a lopsided grin, "But since he isn't, and seeing as how we have no clue where he came from, maybe something to honor the Windsinger who made him?"

DarkRain raised an eye ridge at her. "You think he's one of Enigma's mythical fresh-deity-made eggs?"

"Well, I meant more that the Windsinger is the father of spirals and he's a spiral, and since that is the only family connection we can actually be sure of, it might be something to think about for names. But you know, people bring up that rumor any time there's a really mysterioius egg, so we might as well take it into account." Sithi gave a sort of 'that's that' nod. "Did my bag end up taken in with the hoard? I'm hungry, it's time for some breakfast beetles and maybe a head bandage."

The hatchling ended up spilling the breakfast beetles, and then ate nearly half of what was left. Enigma took the moth wings she had been slicing up for him, and slipped them to Sithi instead. Then Viviane took the hatchlings outside while the others got out the scrolls Enigma had brought back with her, looking for good names.

At lunch time, they brought food outside and discovered that Viviane had been teaching Wyeth and the spiral to burrow, in consequence of which they were all covered in dirt. The babies, it turned out, were full; Anakin had successfully hunted his first satin mouse, Wyeth had eaten the grasses displaced from the openings of the practice burrows, and the spiral had feasted on earth worms and other bugs they had found while digging.

"Well, Viviane, have you named your youngest student yet?" Anael asked, brushing dirt out of Wyeth's fur.

"The best name I thought of was Windy, because of the winding tunnels he makes. I'm afraid everyone would just pronounce it windy though, like the weather, because of his being a spiral and wind element. Did you find a better name in Enigma's scrolls?"

"We're thinking Jamin," Enigma answered for them. "It's a word for a south wind, and it also means Right Hand of Favor in a beastclans language - it wasn't clear which one - so that's a neat thought if you believe the rumors of fresh-created eggs. Or even if you don't, but still think it's a fun story."

Viviane nodded. "That's better than Windy."

"All right then." DarkRain flourished her scroll of names. "Hatchling, I declare you Jamin of clan Stoneguard!"

Jamin flew around the clearing, excited by all the attention, and then accidentally caught one of his rear leg-wings under a forearm somehow. He more or less crashed into a bush, crying piteously until DarkRain loped over and gently untangled him. Moments later he was giggling again, and playing a game of beep-the-nose with Wyeth and Anakin. Jamin reached down to bat at their muzzles, while his brothers waved their hands in the air, swatting at his head in return.

"Well, Mama, I'd say Wyeth and Anakin are going to learn to fly in record time! What do you think?" Enigma giggled.

"I think it's a fine thing for them all to have clutchmates to grow up with," Viviane answered. "One thing's for sure though - DarkRain is going to be very busy for a while, trying to keep this clutch out of trouble!"

OOC: Ok, there's everyone hatched and named! Now I'm off to search the coliseum for meat.
D'awww, the hatchlings are so cute x3 and finally a few males! :D
D'awww, the hatchlings are so cute x3 and finally a few males! :D
natureh5.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29 30