Back

Art Sales

For commissions and flat-sale of your creative efforts.
TOPIC | Pixel Wizardry Sprites (USD/FRC) open!
THIS IS INCREDIBLE THANK YOUUU
THIS IS INCREDIBLE THANK YOUUU
zVzI8uZ.jpg
i can never grasp how people can fit so much detail and get the right stuff across in such small pixel form…. such a cool piece thanks so much :))))) The animation you went with is awesome too i love her tail swoosh! is there a platform you’d prefer to be credited on if i add this on their toyhouse?
i can never grasp how people can fit so much detail and get the right stuff across in such small pixel form…. such a cool piece thanks so much :))))) The animation you went with is awesome too i love her tail swoosh! is there a platform you’d prefer to be credited on if i add this on their toyhouse?
zVzI8uZ.jpg
@izzwizzz not any specific platform, but you can credit me as cornndawg, which is the spelling i use for the majority of platforms. glad you like em!
@izzwizzz not any specific platform, but you can credit me as cornndawg, which is the spelling i use for the majority of platforms. glad you like em!
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
[quote name="izzwizzz" date="2024-09-03 05:00:03" ] i can never grasp how people can fit so much detail and get the right stuff across in such small pixel form…. such a cool piece thanks so much :))))) The animation you went with is awesome too i love her tail swoosh! is there a platform you’d prefer to be credited on if i add this on their toyhouse? [/quote] there's lots of techniques, but for smaller sprites, a common technique which i forgot the real name of is "half pixels", where you basically use an in-between color between some normally-drawn stuff to sort of trick the brain into seeing what it expects to see when doing subtle movement or fine details. this is usually how detailed eyes are accomplished and small patterns and features are made distinct from one another even in crammed spaces. for instance, in the frame where the eye is lidded and prepared to blink, i substituted the white of the eye with green, which blends in with the brown beside and black above to produce the appearance of a narrow eye without actually filling in the area, since even a single pixel of white there would have been too big ruined the illusion. it's like smear frames on a microscopic level! there's also lineart and knowing when, where and how to apply and color it. since the lineart on sprites is generally thicker than other mediums of art since you can only make it so small, it helps to make it as smooth as possible and avoid jags and doubles to maximize the space you have for color and shading and make sure the silhouette is cutting the right shape. making squares into smooth, rounded shapes is very difficult, but perfecting lineart makes even flat sprites look a million times more natural. here's an image example of how to basically minmax the lineart: [img]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-duBCS2wUVDI/XrtsEmP7LDI/AAAAAAAAAOU/QzhB6K_ucnYXSgs3M-f_oEootbiUSy4CgCK4BGAsYHg/w640-h320/jaggies.png[/img] in lower-resolution sprites (64x64 or less), you basically need to color lineart, make features entirely out of lineart, or even leave lineart OPEN to make smooth-looking features. look at celebi here: the tip of its hair is made of colored lineart multiple pixels thick, producing the impression of multiple strands converging into a single slick point. its antennae and wings are also made almost entirely with colored lineart to make them look transluscent, shiny and ethereal. pretty much any gen 1 and most gen 2 sprites uses this to some extent, to varying results. [img]https://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/70/Spr_4d_251.png[/img] sometimes, you want to produce thick-looking lineart but just don't have the space for it. bowser's inside story uses light gray on the exterior of single-pixel thick black lineart to make it look broad and fuzzy like marker, but still maximizes its sprite real estate by using extremely thin and sometimes absent colored lineart in the interior almost exclusively, only adding black outlines to parts that need to stick out or occasionally move to the outside during animation, and for the smaller details, letting the shading and sparse colored lines do the rest. [img]https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/spritechronicles/images/7/71/Bowser.png[/img] overall, what techniques you use to detail your sprites depends on the art style you're going for, what kind of monitors the sprite is meant to display on and at what scale, the technical limitations of the game it's meant for and what's best for the individual design. rules can be broken if they look good doing it.
izzwizzz wrote on 2024-09-03 05:00:03:
there's lots of techniques, but for smaller sprites, a common technique which i forgot the real name of is "half pixels", where you basically use an in-between color between some normally-drawn stuff to sort of trick the brain into seeing what it expects to see when doing subtle movement or fine details. this is usually how detailed eyes are accomplished and small patterns and features are made distinct from one another even in crammed spaces. for instance, in the frame where the eye is lidded and prepared to blink, i substituted the white of the eye with green, which blends in with the brown beside and black above to produce the appearance of a narrow eye without actually filling in the area, since even a single pixel of white there would have been too big ruined the illusion. it's like smear frames on a microscopic level!
there's also lineart and knowing when, where and how to apply and color it. since the lineart on sprites is generally thicker than other mediums of art since you can only make it so small, it helps to make it as smooth as possible and avoid jags and doubles to maximize the space you have for color and shading and make sure the silhouette is cutting the right shape. making squares into smooth, rounded shapes is very difficult, but perfecting lineart makes even flat sprites look a million times more natural. here's an image example of how to basically minmax the lineart:
jaggies.png
in lower-resolution sprites (64x64 or less), you basically need to color lineart, make features entirely out of lineart, or even leave lineart OPEN to make smooth-looking features. look at celebi here: the tip of its hair is made of colored lineart multiple pixels thick, producing the impression of multiple strands converging into a single slick point. its antennae and wings are also made almost entirely with colored lineart to make them look transluscent, shiny and ethereal. pretty much any gen 1 and most gen 2 sprites uses this to some extent, to varying results.
Spr_4d_251.png
sometimes, you want to produce thick-looking lineart but just don't have the space for it. bowser's inside story uses light gray on the exterior of single-pixel thick black lineart to make it look broad and fuzzy like marker, but still maximizes its sprite real estate by using extremely thin and sometimes absent colored lineart in the interior almost exclusively, only adding black outlines to parts that need to stick out or occasionally move to the outside during animation, and for the smaller details, letting the shading and sparse colored lines do the rest.
Bowser.png
overall, what techniques you use to detail your sprites depends on the art style you're going for, what kind of monitors the sprite is meant to display on and at what scale, the technical limitations of the game it's meant for and what's best for the individual design. rules can be broken if they look good doing it.
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
thank you for such an in-depth explanation! Stuff like this is what makes pixel art so impressive :)) gets so much more technical
thank you for such an in-depth explanation! Stuff like this is what makes pixel art so impressive :)) gets so much more technical
zVzI8uZ.jpg
bit of a late response but thanks for the update! cant wait to see :> !!
bit of a late response but thanks for the update! cant wait to see :> !!
TEJ9DhB.png

vaughn | they/he | fr+3
@Knighterrors [img]https://i.imgur.com/VQkbavJ.png[/img] does this look good before i move onto animating?
@Knighterrors
VQkbavJ.png
does this look good before i move onto animating?
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
absolutely yes!! :D
absolutely yes!! :D
TEJ9DhB.png

vaughn | they/he | fr+3
ooh if you're open for more slots, can I get a complex animated sprite of this character https://toyhou.se/4017658.--yeon-/gallery#88072250 I have 10kg and some eggos so any of that you are welcome to have. [img]https://imgur.com/pAHg9Z5.png[/img] I'm not sure how much of the body you'd be open to animate but I would like for the tail to be animated like [url=https://api.motionarray.com/stock-video/flame-191401/]a flame similar to this[/url], slow moving with bits floating off it. If you think you can fit in more, maybe a blink, a wing flap and/or some leg movement, I'm not set on what she moves so I'm happy for you to animate however you envision
ooh if you're open for more slots, can I get a complex animated sprite of this character https://toyhou.se/4017658.--yeon-/gallery#88072250

I have 10kg and some eggos so any of that you are welcome to have. pAHg9Z5.png

I'm not sure how much of the body you'd be open to animate but I would like for the tail to be animated like a flame similar to this, slow moving with bits floating off it.

If you think you can fit in more, maybe a blink, a wing flap and/or some leg movement, I'm not set on what she moves so I'm happy for you to animate however you envision
COT3Kxt.gif Art Shop
@Baelfin
that would be doable, yes! in terms of eggs, could you swap one of those out for a light egg? other than that single light egg (need for the achievement), pay in whatever combination of gems and eggs you want. send the payment whenever you want me to start. i can probably start friday.

since this comm is probably gonna take a while, i'm going to go ahead and close rq while i catch up on the comms i currently have, just so i dont get backed up :)
@Baelfin
that would be doable, yes! in terms of eggs, could you swap one of those out for a light egg? other than that single light egg (need for the achievement), pay in whatever combination of gems and eggs you want. send the payment whenever you want me to start. i can probably start friday.

since this comm is probably gonna take a while, i'm going to go ahead and close rq while i catch up on the comms i currently have, just so i dont get backed up :)
eNC9ZRF.jpeg