Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Glass & Gloss' Genuine Genes
1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Yay for Ancient rep! I recently reworked my Galore aethers and helped to use this shop to get both Tide and Foam on my male aether.
Yay for Ancient rep! I recently reworked my Galore aethers and helped to use this shop to get both Tide and Foam on my male aether.
QB1ezjo.pngpMh8rVE.png
I'm happy to hear about the new NPC's pronouns. I told my nonbinary friend about Glass and Gloss, and my friend was so pleased to hear about them!
I'm happy to hear about the new NPC's pronouns. I told my nonbinary friend about Glass and Gloss, and my friend was so pleased to hear about them!
I like the new NPC!
I like the new NPC!
marina_small_by_wesleart_by_bombswan-db2x2ss.png
[quote name="Undel" date="2023-08-18 19:04:01" ] [quote name="Lunalatic" date="2023-08-17 13:17:29" ] Important question: pronouns for Glass and Gloss? [/quote] Glass and Gloss use they/them pronouns in the plural sense, and in the nonbinary sense. [/quote] Yippee!!!! Hooray!!!!
Undel wrote on 2023-08-18 19:04:01:
Lunalatic wrote on 2023-08-17 13:17:29:
Important question: pronouns for Glass and Gloss?

Glass and Gloss use they/them pronouns in the plural sense, and in the nonbinary sense.

Yippee!!!! Hooray!!!!
kj2Qtjf.pngWkSApm9.pngO8SN3Pl.pngDevour-1.png-1.png.png
I'm really happy we have an npc using singular and plural they/them, but seeing people tying they/them directly to nonbinary (which is a huge umbrella term covering anything that isn't man or women) is a bit disheartening as a genderfluid person. Perhaps agender would be a better word.

Edit: Not trying to start a debate, please respect the dev's time and just don't, just something I felt the need to point out. Most of the nonbinary-spec people I know rarely even use they/them, in fact one exclusively uses he/him.
I'm really happy we have an npc using singular and plural they/them, but seeing people tying they/them directly to nonbinary (which is a huge umbrella term covering anything that isn't man or women) is a bit disheartening as a genderfluid person. Perhaps agender would be a better word.

Edit: Not trying to start a debate, please respect the dev's time and just don't, just something I felt the need to point out. Most of the nonbinary-spec people I know rarely even use they/them, in fact one exclusively uses he/him.
pitachip-1.png
- genderfluid (he/she/they)
- aro/ace
- neurodivergent
- adult (21)
- art dump
[quote name="pitachip" date="2023-08-19 11:53:55" ] I'm really happy we have an npc using singular and plural they/them, but seeing people tying they/them directly to nonbinary (which is a huge umbrella term covering anything that isn't man or women) is a bit disheartening as a genderfluid person. Perhaps agender would be a better word.[/quote] Doesn't agender also fall under the nonbinary umbrella though? /gq Asked my agender friend after seeing this and they say it does.
pitachip wrote on 2023-08-19 11:53:55:

Doesn't agender also fall under the nonbinary umbrella though? /gq Asked my agender friend after seeing this and they say it does.
|| White/Moth • FR+2 ||
I like TMA an unhealthy amount.
Check out my fandragons!
o2nagQx.pngHPhOvJY.png
iJDMaxX.pngtyEuRXe.png
TdTJOrw.pngNp4NxIR.png
[quote name="ClockworkOwle" date="2023-08-19 12:31:55" ] Doesn't agender also fall under the nonbinary umbrella though? /gq Asked my agender friend after seeing this and they say it does. [/quote] Exactly, it does, that's not what the issue is, the issue is using "nonbinary" in place of "agender". I don't know how many people have experienced this, but I personally have been treated as if I'm only nonbinary when I fluctuate towards agender/genderless. I'm always nonbinary, even if I'm not using they/them. Hope this makes sense /gen. I've literally been told I'm not nonbinary because I'm genderfluid. ----- It's very similar to the treatment I receive as an aro/ace, like I don't belong in the lgbt+ community. Lot's of time using "nonbinary" as a word for "genderless" isn't meant to be malicious (as I'm sure was the case here) but it is harmful regardless. ----- Edit: I also believe it stands out to me more as a neurodivergent writer, anything with language usage is quite noticeable for me where others may miss it. To sum it up better what I'm pointing out here is the implication that nonbinary exclusively means agender/genderless, which has been a prevalent issue for many years. I feel like dev's should've just said Glass/Gloss is agender instead. Sorry I'm sick rn my typing isn't perfect.
ClockworkOwle wrote on 2023-08-19 12:31:55:

Doesn't agender also fall under the nonbinary umbrella though? /gq Asked my agender friend after seeing this and they say it does.

Exactly, it does, that's not what the issue is, the issue is using "nonbinary" in place of "agender". I don't know how many people have experienced this, but I personally have been treated as if I'm only nonbinary when I fluctuate towards agender/genderless. I'm always nonbinary, even if I'm not using they/them. Hope this makes sense /gen.
I've literally been told I'm not nonbinary because I'm genderfluid.

It's very similar to the treatment I receive as an aro/ace, like I don't belong in the lgbt+ community. Lot's of time using "nonbinary" as a word for "genderless" isn't meant to be malicious (as I'm sure was the case here) but it is harmful regardless.

Edit: I also believe it stands out to me more as a neurodivergent writer, anything with language usage is quite noticeable for me where others may miss it. To sum it up better what I'm pointing out here is the implication that nonbinary exclusively means agender/genderless, which has been a prevalent issue for many years. I feel like dev's should've just said Glass/Gloss is agender instead. Sorry I'm sick rn my typing isn't perfect.
pitachip-1.png
- aro/ace
- neurodivergent
- adult (21)
- art dump
@pitachip

Ah, I see. Thank you, it does. Though when I read Undel's statement of "Glass and Gloss use they/them pronouns in the plural sense, and in the nonbinary sense." I didn't get the impression that their gender identity is nonbinary specifically, just that they fall somewhere under the NB umbrella. Afaik it could be anything under the NB umbrella, agender included, it just isn't explicitly stated what NB identity it is, just that they lie somewhere under the umbrella.

That's just my reading comprehension of it though, I can understand how the meaning of the statement could go either way.

Also as a fellow genderfluid and ace person, you're always valid. /g
@pitachip

Ah, I see. Thank you, it does. Though when I read Undel's statement of "Glass and Gloss use they/them pronouns in the plural sense, and in the nonbinary sense." I didn't get the impression that their gender identity is nonbinary specifically, just that they fall somewhere under the NB umbrella. Afaik it could be anything under the NB umbrella, agender included, it just isn't explicitly stated what NB identity it is, just that they lie somewhere under the umbrella.

That's just my reading comprehension of it though, I can understand how the meaning of the statement could go either way.

|| White/Moth • FR+2 ||
I like TMA an unhealthy amount.
Check out my fandragons!
o2nagQx.pngHPhOvJY.png
iJDMaxX.pngtyEuRXe.png
TdTJOrw.pngNp4NxIR.png
[quote name="ClockworkOwle" date="2023-08-19 12:55:43" ] @/pitachip Ah, I see. Thank you, it does. Though when I read Undel's statement of "Glass and Gloss use they/them pronouns in the plural sense, and in the nonbinary sense." I didn't get the impression that their gender identity is nonbinary specifically, just that they fall somewhere under the NB umbrella. Afaik it could be anything under the NB umbrella, agender included, it just isn't explicitly stated what NB identity it is, just that they lie somewhere under the umbrella. That's just my reading comprehension of it though, I can understand how the meaning of the statement could go either way. Also as a fellow genderfluid and ace person, you're always valid. /g [/quote] Np, sorry I can't type a long reply again but you do have a point as well about what Undel may have meant /gen, I think I'm just a pessimist at this point because I see what I mentioned previously in the art community on a daily basis (specifically in character bios, and if it's not "agender is the only nonbinary identity" it's male/female/intersex being put under gender, that's another story though) And thank you, I appreciate that [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
ClockworkOwle wrote on 2023-08-19 12:55:43:
@/pitachip

Np, sorry I can't type a long reply again but you do have a point as well about what Undel may have meant /gen, I think I'm just a pessimist at this point because I see what I mentioned previously in the art community on a daily basis (specifically in character bios, and if it's not "agender is the only nonbinary identity" it's male/female/intersex being put under gender, that's another story though)

And thank you, I appreciate that

pitachip-1.png
- aro/ace
- neurodivergent
- adult (21)
- art dump
its really cool to see another npc that uses they/them, i'd be doing the same for all my dragons regardless of what is and isn't used in site lore but it makes me really happy this is like a normal thing that dragons just do.

also this is super tangential but seeing glass and gloss with the fangs tert and clothing made me think of my own aberration with both and i literally only now realized how goofy it is i made them my tailor in my lore. i guess ancients wearing clothing is canon and normal now too lmao.
its really cool to see another npc that uses they/them, i'd be doing the same for all my dragons regardless of what is and isn't used in site lore but it makes me really happy this is like a normal thing that dragons just do.

also this is super tangential but seeing glass and gloss with the fangs tert and clothing made me think of my own aberration with both and i literally only now realized how goofy it is i made them my tailor in my lore. i guess ancients wearing clothing is canon and normal now too lmao.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42