Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Breed: Sphiasa (Update: Ancient Breed?)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47
[quote name="Kawaru" date=2016-08-12 03:53:53] They look more like familiars/mammal beasts than dragons, and look like the sphinx familiar too much No support, sorry [/quote] We have tundras. Tho I do agree to make it a little more dragon like but yet again if someone ever suggested a coatl today if it never existed. Many people would say it looked like a familiar. I'm sure that a lot of people would say no support to already existing breeds in a world where they doesn't exist yet. Support because it's cool and unique
Kawaru wrote on 2016-08-12:
They look more like familiars/mammal beasts than dragons, and look like the sphinx familiar too much
No support, sorry

We have tundras. Tho I do agree to make it a little more dragon like but yet again if someone ever suggested a coatl today if it never existed. Many people would say it looked like a familiar. I'm sure that a lot of people would say no support to already existing breeds in a world where they doesn't exist yet.

Support because it's cool and unique
JVh11Ww.png
Support!

@Ink Unbelievable design in my opinion, every little detail is perfect. Love the fact that the orb takes the color of the birth flight, love the general design, entirely unbothered by the lack of reptilian features. Tundra is mammal-like in appearance, I see absolutely no issues with that being something these two breeds would have in common.

Good luck, I really want to see this be a thing.
Support!

@Ink Unbelievable design in my opinion, every little detail is perfect. Love the fact that the orb takes the color of the birth flight, love the general design, entirely unbothered by the lack of reptilian features. Tundra is mammal-like in appearance, I see absolutely no issues with that being something these two breeds would have in common.

Good luck, I really want to see this be a thing.
Lovecrafty_1.png
Support! I love these guys! I want all of them. All.
Support! I love these guys! I want all of them. All.
xW59ap8.png
support!!
i absolutely adore the way they look like lions, in a way

if these were real i would spend all of my money on scrolls for these guys
support!!
i absolutely adore the way they look like lions, in a way

if these were real i would spend all of my money on scrolls for these guys
HpBICfc.gif
» about me
» commissions
Sphinx dragons? Hell yeas
Sphinx dragons? Hell yeas
dNCLmdm.png
Yeees, I'd love so much of these. Oh gosh I want them. Right now.
Lions.
Yeees, I'd love so much of these. Oh gosh I want them. Right now.
Lions.
vVseha8.gif
↑NOW EXTREMELY OUTDATED Art Shop
really cool idea! :D Though have to say no support, thing is creating your own dragon breed for the site was a KS goal and you had to donate 1000 dollars to do it. Skydancers are a user made breed but that person also donated them to be on site. So it wouldn't be fair if admins started to make user made dragon breeds official when those people didn't donate...

Also Mythology 101

We got Manticore familiars on site, not sphinxes. Manticores are from Persian myth and they are usually described as having the face of a man, with 3 rows of teeth in their mouth, they got the body of a lion and a tail with poison barbs. Though this is usually is depicted as a scorpion tail instead. sometimes they also got horns or wings or both. Their voices are also trumpet like, and their name translates to Human eater. *puts away nerdy glasses*

I can see why people confuse the two but eh yeah we don't got sphinx familiars xD
really cool idea! :D Though have to say no support, thing is creating your own dragon breed for the site was a KS goal and you had to donate 1000 dollars to do it. Skydancers are a user made breed but that person also donated them to be on site. So it wouldn't be fair if admins started to make user made dragon breeds official when those people didn't donate...

Also Mythology 101

We got Manticore familiars on site, not sphinxes. Manticores are from Persian myth and they are usually described as having the face of a man, with 3 rows of teeth in their mouth, they got the body of a lion and a tail with poison barbs. Though this is usually is depicted as a scorpion tail instead. sometimes they also got horns or wings or both. Their voices are also trumpet like, and their name translates to Human eater. *puts away nerdy glasses*

I can see why people confuse the two but eh yeah we don't got sphinx familiars xD
DVcXRyP.png
They look awesome, but I do prefer dragon species over other species c: I personally wouldn't buy them, but I'm not saying that to be rude. I don't buy ridgebacks or snappers, and I just see it like that.
They look awesome, but I do prefer dragon species over other species c: I personally wouldn't buy them, but I'm not saying that to be rude. I don't buy ridgebacks or snappers, and I just see it like that.
28764.png
@Lovecrafty thank you! And the same to everyone else sharing their opinions both positive and negative, I appreciate the feedback and I think ultimately keeping up to date with what people like and don't like will make the design stronger in the end if I decide to change it. This was largely just a design exercise for me, I don't think I've seen a single breed suggestion accepted onsite so im not really expecting anything to happen with these guys as-is.

Addressing everyone's concerns about the manticore similarity, I just want to share some thoughts on why I made the design decisions I did in case anyone is curious!

The Sphiasa started based on the idea of 'what would a dragon look like if Great Plains Native Americans conceived of them' like I mentioned in the first post, so I did some research and found a creature called the Piasa. From the Piasa's description I took some key features: a long, thin, tail, a 'beard' or mane, and a somewhat human face. Artists depictions also included tusks or fangs, hence the male's snaggletooth. They were said to have deer antlers, but because I was striving to create something unique/not reminiscent of any existing breed onsite and thought that would be too similar to Imperials, I chose the halo/orb approach. I recall some users in the past recommending this feature, and it's also a bit if an allusion to the Egyptian god Hathor.

The native American aesthetic left me to question if this species would have any notable dragon features. I gave them very avian inspired feet and even concidered hooves because I know deer, eagles, bears, wolves, fox, bobcats etc. Were and still are quite common in the Midwest, and would be the species they would see most often. It made sense to me therefore that a mythological creature of great power might bear some of these traits, hence them being fairly mammalian and not reptilian. That paired with my interest in using traits not already existent in breeds onsite lead me to the conclusion you see in the first post.

Not sure if anyone will read this really but I enjoy sharing my process, so that's just a little more light shed on it c:
@Lovecrafty thank you! And the same to everyone else sharing their opinions both positive and negative, I appreciate the feedback and I think ultimately keeping up to date with what people like and don't like will make the design stronger in the end if I decide to change it. This was largely just a design exercise for me, I don't think I've seen a single breed suggestion accepted onsite so im not really expecting anything to happen with these guys as-is.

Addressing everyone's concerns about the manticore similarity, I just want to share some thoughts on why I made the design decisions I did in case anyone is curious!

The Sphiasa started based on the idea of 'what would a dragon look like if Great Plains Native Americans conceived of them' like I mentioned in the first post, so I did some research and found a creature called the Piasa. From the Piasa's description I took some key features: a long, thin, tail, a 'beard' or mane, and a somewhat human face. Artists depictions also included tusks or fangs, hence the male's snaggletooth. They were said to have deer antlers, but because I was striving to create something unique/not reminiscent of any existing breed onsite and thought that would be too similar to Imperials, I chose the halo/orb approach. I recall some users in the past recommending this feature, and it's also a bit if an allusion to the Egyptian god Hathor.

The native American aesthetic left me to question if this species would have any notable dragon features. I gave them very avian inspired feet and even concidered hooves because I know deer, eagles, bears, wolves, fox, bobcats etc. Were and still are quite common in the Midwest, and would be the species they would see most often. It made sense to me therefore that a mythological creature of great power might bear some of these traits, hence them being fairly mammalian and not reptilian. That paired with my interest in using traits not already existent in breeds onsite lead me to the conclusion you see in the first post.

Not sure if anyone will read this really but I enjoy sharing my process, so that's just a little more light shed on it c:
aUBv6Nx.png ... ~ Ink / fr__water_by_baelfin-d8uyn80.png / all pronouns -/-/-/-/-/-/- Pinkerlocke | f2u Bio Banners
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc...ccccccccc...Inkpot Accent Shop

_ ______________ _ _ _

Empty your mind.
Be formless. Shapeless, like water. //
...XBYSamS.png
Full support! These are one of the best dragon ideas I've seen so far. While I don't ever go to the fairground I think it'd be awesome if they could be found there! It'll give an extra reward to those dedicated fairground workers.

I think my favorite part is them keeping their eye color as their orb color, it's really creative and will open up a lot of nest rentals for people.
Full support! These are one of the best dragon ideas I've seen so far. While I don't ever go to the fairground I think it'd be awesome if they could be found there! It'll give an extra reward to those dedicated fairground workers.

I think my favorite part is them keeping their eye color as their orb color, it's really creative and will open up a lot of nest rentals for people.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47