Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Wind-Themed Fairgrounds Game!
Such perfect timing for a Fairgrounds idea. :D This came to me while I was grinding for Treasure (to spend on the new Jamboree skins, of course), and I was bored with the current types of games available. I highly doubt anything will be changed to the current games (unless there's a mass Fairgrounds update in the future) so instead I came up with this!

So I'm recalling a Neopets game where you're this little hamster-creature running around a course eating little colorful orbs (I think they're supposed to be fruit? Childhood memories are pretty vague); the orbs would help your tail grow, and the goal is to grow as long of a tail as possible. Some of the orbs would help you grow your tail faster, but other orbs would shrink your tail or even force a game over. I remember playing and enjoying it a lot, so I thought, " Why not a Flight Rising game along the same lines?"

My idea is called " Collect from the Wind" or " Gone with the Wind". It's a Wind Flight themed game where you play as a Spiral Dragon (maybe with any two random colors and basic genes for simplicity?) who is collecting pieces of treasure floating carelessly about in the sky. You start out as a stubby little hatchling, but as you collect the pieces you gain points and grow larger and much much longer into an aging Spiral (or perhaps the Spiral's age is determined by what level you're on?). The game will have speed options for both casual players and grinders, so the speed can go faster or slower as you wish (although, it would be neat to have a dynamic where each level causes the game to move faster).

Right now I'm thinking that the pieces of treasure would be things the Wind Flight collects, such as feathers, compasses, maps, plant seeds, kites, and other things (these would all be a small size respective to the dragon). Something small or commonplace-like feathers-would cause the Spiral to grow only a little bit, but something rarer-like a map-would rack up way more points and make the Spiral grow faster. To discern these good pieces from anything bad, maybe they could share a green glow or color theme? And to prevent clutter, as the level progresses more pieces could be spawned to replace the pieces the player collects; in order to get from one level to the next, the player would have to reach a certain amount of points, similar to how Artifracture requires a certain amount of artifacts before proceeding to the next level.

Since it's such a windy day, the player would need some obstacles to watch out for; I can't decide though if these blunders will be actual objects (like a tethered balloon) that causes the player to lose points/lose the game, or if they should be bad pieces of treasure. Right now though I'm liking the idea of the twobeing separate, where the treasure is somewhat mobile (not too much, or it will be hard to collect), and the obstacles being well, obstacles, that may or may not move depending on their type (like the difference between a tethered balloon and a free balloon). These pieces could glow or contain more warning colors, like red or orange.

I don't have many ideas for the level design, but since each level is supposed to be based off the sky and grow harder the higher they are, I'm thinking some neat vistas would be perfect. Harder levels could be galestorms, rainstorms, blizzards, maybe even hurricanes for the big ones! Easier levels will start out as sunny days in meadows, some coastal flying over an ocean, and maybe a nice view of a mountain sunset (I realize these kinds of backgrounds would require more artwork to be made, since unlike the other Fairgrounds games they would change upon each level, but hopefully it won't be too much trouble?)

So as a brief visual of what a level from the game could look like, it's basically a large area looking like the sky, with lots of random pieces of treasure floating about to be collected; depending on the level, they would move more and be more difficult to catch, or be pretty much static to be easier to collect. Around the level there would also be some obstacles that risk a game-ender; again, depending on the level some of these obstacles may move or be static, and the number of them will also vary. The character will always start in the middle (which means the game will have to make sure no treasure of obstacles will spawn there), and the player will control the character onscreen to both collect the treasure and avoid the obstacles.

For the GUI, the point-counter can be in the upper left corner, or even out of the arena so there isn't an ugly overlay to worry about. To the side underneath the counter there can be information displaying what level you're on, how many points you need to collect, even the age of the Spiral just for fun. For gameplay mechanics, I'm thinking you can either toggle the usage of the mouse (where you can click to indicate where the Spiral should go, or move the pointer accordingly and the Spiral will follow it automatically), or switch to basic keyboard controls (maybe the arrowkeys or WASD). The animation doesn't have to be very smooth for this; in fact, having the game be designed similar to the World Lore's art, where everything has a sort of etched-in-stone feel with sharp angles and blocky curves, would make this a bit easier to make (because then, say, the player narrowly dodges and obstacle, the Spiral's body could follow the same exact path as the rest of the Spiral, instead of having truer physics where the tail might whip around and strike the object, causing the game to end).

Good idea? Bad idea? Already suggested idea? Thoughts are appreciated!
Such perfect timing for a Fairgrounds idea. :D This came to me while I was grinding for Treasure (to spend on the new Jamboree skins, of course), and I was bored with the current types of games available. I highly doubt anything will be changed to the current games (unless there's a mass Fairgrounds update in the future) so instead I came up with this!

So I'm recalling a Neopets game where you're this little hamster-creature running around a course eating little colorful orbs (I think they're supposed to be fruit? Childhood memories are pretty vague); the orbs would help your tail grow, and the goal is to grow as long of a tail as possible. Some of the orbs would help you grow your tail faster, but other orbs would shrink your tail or even force a game over. I remember playing and enjoying it a lot, so I thought, " Why not a Flight Rising game along the same lines?"

My idea is called " Collect from the Wind" or " Gone with the Wind". It's a Wind Flight themed game where you play as a Spiral Dragon (maybe with any two random colors and basic genes for simplicity?) who is collecting pieces of treasure floating carelessly about in the sky. You start out as a stubby little hatchling, but as you collect the pieces you gain points and grow larger and much much longer into an aging Spiral (or perhaps the Spiral's age is determined by what level you're on?). The game will have speed options for both casual players and grinders, so the speed can go faster or slower as you wish (although, it would be neat to have a dynamic where each level causes the game to move faster).

Right now I'm thinking that the pieces of treasure would be things the Wind Flight collects, such as feathers, compasses, maps, plant seeds, kites, and other things (these would all be a small size respective to the dragon). Something small or commonplace-like feathers-would cause the Spiral to grow only a little bit, but something rarer-like a map-would rack up way more points and make the Spiral grow faster. To discern these good pieces from anything bad, maybe they could share a green glow or color theme? And to prevent clutter, as the level progresses more pieces could be spawned to replace the pieces the player collects; in order to get from one level to the next, the player would have to reach a certain amount of points, similar to how Artifracture requires a certain amount of artifacts before proceeding to the next level.

Since it's such a windy day, the player would need some obstacles to watch out for; I can't decide though if these blunders will be actual objects (like a tethered balloon) that causes the player to lose points/lose the game, or if they should be bad pieces of treasure. Right now though I'm liking the idea of the twobeing separate, where the treasure is somewhat mobile (not too much, or it will be hard to collect), and the obstacles being well, obstacles, that may or may not move depending on their type (like the difference between a tethered balloon and a free balloon). These pieces could glow or contain more warning colors, like red or orange.

I don't have many ideas for the level design, but since each level is supposed to be based off the sky and grow harder the higher they are, I'm thinking some neat vistas would be perfect. Harder levels could be galestorms, rainstorms, blizzards, maybe even hurricanes for the big ones! Easier levels will start out as sunny days in meadows, some coastal flying over an ocean, and maybe a nice view of a mountain sunset (I realize these kinds of backgrounds would require more artwork to be made, since unlike the other Fairgrounds games they would change upon each level, but hopefully it won't be too much trouble?)

So as a brief visual of what a level from the game could look like, it's basically a large area looking like the sky, with lots of random pieces of treasure floating about to be collected; depending on the level, they would move more and be more difficult to catch, or be pretty much static to be easier to collect. Around the level there would also be some obstacles that risk a game-ender; again, depending on the level some of these obstacles may move or be static, and the number of them will also vary. The character will always start in the middle (which means the game will have to make sure no treasure of obstacles will spawn there), and the player will control the character onscreen to both collect the treasure and avoid the obstacles.

For the GUI, the point-counter can be in the upper left corner, or even out of the arena so there isn't an ugly overlay to worry about. To the side underneath the counter there can be information displaying what level you're on, how many points you need to collect, even the age of the Spiral just for fun. For gameplay mechanics, I'm thinking you can either toggle the usage of the mouse (where you can click to indicate where the Spiral should go, or move the pointer accordingly and the Spiral will follow it automatically), or switch to basic keyboard controls (maybe the arrowkeys or WASD). The animation doesn't have to be very smooth for this; in fact, having the game be designed similar to the World Lore's art, where everything has a sort of etched-in-stone feel with sharp angles and blocky curves, would make this a bit easier to make (because then, say, the player narrowly dodges and obstacle, the Spiral's body could follow the same exact path as the rest of the Spiral, instead of having truer physics where the tail might whip around and strike the object, causing the game to end).

Good idea? Bad idea? Already suggested idea? Thoughts are appreciated!
Please ping me if you respond to one of my posts. I'm very forgetful so I may not see the response otherwise.
Art & Writing Shop (on hiatus) | Skin Shop (on hiatus)
A wild science-fiction book sample has appeared!
So basically its a game of snake that's wind themed?
So basically its a game of snake that's wind themed?
W2fTsCC.pngYOU THOUGHT IT WAS A SIGNATURE, BUT IT WAS I, DIO!3hF8p5D.png
Support!
Support!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
@Paperdragon337: I would say yes if I knew what Snake was. XD But... yeah, basically.
Hm, that first post is a text wall, looking back on it... I need to clean it up a little.
@Paperdragon337: I would say yes if I knew what Snake was. XD But... yeah, basically.
Hm, that first post is a text wall, looking back on it... I need to clean it up a little.
Please ping me if you respond to one of my posts. I'm very forgetful so I may not see the response otherwise.
Art & Writing Shop (on hiatus) | Skin Shop (on hiatus)
A wild science-fiction book sample has appeared!