Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gender Switches for Dragons
1 2
Alright, so it's come to my attention that we have a handful of dragons out there that would like to switch their gender, as we can in real life. Sure it's expensive, but it can still happen- so why not have it within FR?
It'd be super awesome if we could have Gender Bender Scrolls that would change a dragon's gender.

Some Extra Though:
  • Problem: Dragons bouncing back and forth between genders
    Answer: Have a cool down- twice as long as breeding cool downs
  • Problem: What if my dragon is on a nest?
    Answer: You've gotta wait until the nest hatches
  • Problem: If I change my dragon's gender changes, does that change their gender roll on their offsprings?
    Answer: Not necessarily. As the change happened after the nest hatched, they shouldn't be effected
Alright, so it's come to my attention that we have a handful of dragons out there that would like to switch their gender, as we can in real life. Sure it's expensive, but it can still happen- so why not have it within FR?
It'd be super awesome if we could have Gender Bender Scrolls that would change a dragon's gender.

Some Extra Though:
  • Problem: Dragons bouncing back and forth between genders
    Answer: Have a cool down- twice as long as breeding cool downs
  • Problem: What if my dragon is on a nest?
    Answer: You've gotta wait until the nest hatches
  • Problem: If I change my dragon's gender changes, does that change their gender roll on their offsprings?
    Answer: Not necessarily. As the change happened after the nest hatched, they shouldn't be effected
ocTKWwg.gif
plague_ani.gif
DmRdZYl.png
This is a rather divided topic within the suggestion forum. I personally do not want to see a sex change scroll that would allow you to change the sex and then be able to breed according to the newly assigned sex (IE You have two males, you change one of them to a female and then you would be able to breed the male to the female). I'd rather not see this for a couple of reasons:

First of all, it could probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when one of them has been sex changed so they are now the same sex since there is no longer a male and a female parent to display first and second.

The second reason I don't like this is because it would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since sex is the only thing you can't change or control to some degree and something should remain static. You can change color by using a scatter scroll and you can ensure the hatchlings are of a particular element by breeding it in the appropriate nest

I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change). Alternatively if there wouldn't be a coding issue like mentioned above (or there were additional restrictions like must never have been bred to avoid the entire potential coding issue) and it actually changes the sex then that individual becomes unbreedable.

I could possible see an addition of a pair of items that influences a nest to be more likely to be one sex over the other (IE shift the percentages of chosen sex from 50/50 to something skewed, at most 75/25)
This is a rather divided topic within the suggestion forum. I personally do not want to see a sex change scroll that would allow you to change the sex and then be able to breed according to the newly assigned sex (IE You have two males, you change one of them to a female and then you would be able to breed the male to the female). I'd rather not see this for a couple of reasons:

First of all, it could probably involve having to recode a fair amount of the breeding/display system which I think could be better spent adding new features rather than recoding a system that works perfectly fine the way it is. The reason I say it could involve a fair amount of recoding is depending on how the lineage is stored in the database the system could have a fit over trying to figure out how to display the parents when one of them has been sex changed so they are now the same sex since there is no longer a male and a female parent to display first and second.

The second reason I don't like this is because it would remove some of the challenge involved in breeding since sex is the only thing you can't change or control to some degree and something should remain static. You can change color by using a scatter scroll and you can ensure the hatchlings are of a particular element by breeding it in the appropriate nest

I'd personally prefer to see a cosmetic change (changes the image to the opposite sex, so your male dragon displays a female dragon image, but he is still a male dragon so he still can only breed with females so the breeding pool for him doesn't change). Alternatively if there wouldn't be a coding issue like mentioned above (or there were additional restrictions like must never have been bred to avoid the entire potential coding issue) and it actually changes the sex then that individual becomes unbreedable.

I could possible see an addition of a pair of items that influences a nest to be more likely to be one sex over the other (IE shift the percentages of chosen sex from 50/50 to something skewed, at most 75/25)
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
What I would say is that it is unable to breed because... C'mon, if you were that desperate to change the breed knowing full well the consequences you'd do it for the loooooore
What I would say is that it is unable to breed because... C'mon, if you were that desperate to change the breed knowing full well the consequences you'd do it for the loooooore
lightshieldr.png S T R A N G E N E S S E S
o profile o lore shop o lair o
light_small.png
You can switch your dragon's gender by stating what its gender is in its bio box
You can switch your dragon's gender by stating what its gender is in its bio box
@Vihuff

The way the pose change scroll is suggested to work is that the dragon would not be able to be traded or sold, so no confusion on your part unless you were looking in someone else's lair. It would be pretty much exactly like a eternal youth scroll except for being the poses.

So you theoretically already have this problem by having Eternal youths who don't have individual poses for male and female and who might be a 3 year old dragon. I would support some sort of changing of the sign used for gender now (such as going to perhaps a gray colored male/female sign, or a 3rd sign that is both blue and pink) to show that the dragon has had a pose change scroll used on it.

For the original suggestion, no support for what dragonsage said.
@Vihuff

The way the pose change scroll is suggested to work is that the dragon would not be able to be traded or sold, so no confusion on your part unless you were looking in someone else's lair. It would be pretty much exactly like a eternal youth scroll except for being the poses.

So you theoretically already have this problem by having Eternal youths who don't have individual poses for male and female and who might be a 3 year old dragon. I would support some sort of changing of the sign used for gender now (such as going to perhaps a gray colored male/female sign, or a 3rd sign that is both blue and pink) to show that the dragon has had a pose change scroll used on it.

For the original suggestion, no support for what dragonsage said.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@DragonSage
That's a very good point. I like the idea of the image switching but not the gender.

@Strangenesses @chespin
True enough.

@vihuff
While I can agree with that, I still hate that no matter how hard I try, I can't get a specific colored dragon the sex that I want it- and I've also hosted a dragon that wanted to be the opposite gender and it was annoying to deal with writing a bio.... (I know, bios aren't required).

@Jemadar
The idea of a third gender sign (or even a grey one) would probably be best. I'm just tired of wanted a dragon one thing when it's clearly another.... ya know?
@DragonSage
That's a very good point. I like the idea of the image switching but not the gender.

@Strangenesses @chespin
True enough.

@vihuff
While I can agree with that, I still hate that no matter how hard I try, I can't get a specific colored dragon the sex that I want it- and I've also hosted a dragon that wanted to be the opposite gender and it was annoying to deal with writing a bio.... (I know, bios aren't required).

@Jemadar
The idea of a third gender sign (or even a grey one) would probably be best. I'm just tired of wanted a dragon one thing when it's clearly another.... ya know?
ocTKWwg.gif
plague_ani.gif
DmRdZYl.png
@Kdskid003

one of the reasons why the pose change scroll is popular as opposed to a sex change scroll is that with a pose change scroll, there wouldn't be any restrictions on who could use it except perhaps adult (since it wouldn't matter with hatchlings)

With a sex change scroll, there would have to be restrictions:
It would be best if the dragon became infertile. This way we don't have a flood of dragons in the market from dragons previously unable to breed.
Most likely the dragon would have to be unbred to have the scroll applied, even if it was fertile after words. Otherwise coding on the site would most likely break due to how male/female dragons are displayed.

A pose change scroll would literally be just that, swapping the images of one dragon pose for another, no new art, no new avenues open to breeding, and the dragon would still be able to breed with all the dragons it would have been able to breed with before.
@Kdskid003

one of the reasons why the pose change scroll is popular as opposed to a sex change scroll is that with a pose change scroll, there wouldn't be any restrictions on who could use it except perhaps adult (since it wouldn't matter with hatchlings)

With a sex change scroll, there would have to be restrictions:
It would be best if the dragon became infertile. This way we don't have a flood of dragons in the market from dragons previously unable to breed.
Most likely the dragon would have to be unbred to have the scroll applied, even if it was fertile after words. Otherwise coding on the site would most likely break due to how male/female dragons are displayed.

A pose change scroll would literally be just that, swapping the images of one dragon pose for another, no new art, no new avenues open to breeding, and the dragon would still be able to breed with all the dragons it would have been able to breed with before.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Jemadar
I like the idea of it

@vihuff
As I know one of the people who helped kick-start the game, I do know how much it's expanded for us. But I'd still like to see them change more. Just me though
@Jemadar
I like the idea of it

@vihuff
As I know one of the people who helped kick-start the game, I do know how much it's expanded for us. But I'd still like to see them change more. Just me though
ocTKWwg.gif
plague_ani.gif
DmRdZYl.png
@kdskid003

This is what the Administration has said.....
Quote:
Quote:
Are we ever going to get sex change scrolls?

We have no plans to release an item like this.

The dragon's sex is really the one and only static thing we can not control. We can control the elemental eye color by renting a nest from another element. This leaves us with only one real static thing we can not control. If we were able to change the sex of a dragon from male to female or female to male it would eliminate that and make the game too easy.

Now as far as GENDER, it can be written into a bio that the dragon prefers the opposite gender and is a more Masculine or more Feminine dragon. That does not need to have a scroll.

This has been suggested by so many players that it really is kind of a dead horse topic because of stance the Administration has already stated.
@kdskid003

This is what the Administration has said.....
Quote:
Quote:
Are we ever going to get sex change scrolls?

We have no plans to release an item like this.

The dragon's sex is really the one and only static thing we can not control. We can control the elemental eye color by renting a nest from another element. This leaves us with only one real static thing we can not control. If we were able to change the sex of a dragon from male to female or female to male it would eliminate that and make the game too easy.

Now as far as GENDER, it can be written into a bio that the dragon prefers the opposite gender and is a more Masculine or more Feminine dragon. That does not need to have a scroll.

This has been suggested by so many players that it really is kind of a dead horse topic because of stance the Administration has already stated.
@Qnyxz
To start with, I wanted a scroll that would change the gender, but now that I'm really thinking about it, I'd really rather see a grey coloured icon for the dragons. Yes, I can write it in the bio and dress them up as I please, but people still forget.

I get that it's a really dead topic, but they should do something that signifies the dragon prefers another gender.....
@Qnyxz
To start with, I wanted a scroll that would change the gender, but now that I'm really thinking about it, I'd really rather see a grey coloured icon for the dragons. Yes, I can write it in the bio and dress them up as I please, but people still forget.

I get that it's a really dead topic, but they should do something that signifies the dragon prefers another gender.....
ocTKWwg.gif
plague_ani.gif
DmRdZYl.png
1 2