Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [breed] Pterosaur Dragon
1 2 3 4 5
[s]*Jumps in on the dragon breed suggestion bandwagon*[/s] ---------- [center][u][b]Quetzalcoatlus/Pterosaur based dragon:[/b][/u] [img]http://pre08.deviantart.net/d68c/th/pre/i/2016/016/0/7/quetzacoatl_dragon_by_strigi_forme-d9o699n.png[/img][/center] [quote= Suggestions/edits ] [i]Title/name change to avoid confusion - now Pterosaur Taarnfalk suggested a cooldown (and rarity?) Like Skydancers - Uncommon, 25 day CD [/i][/quote]
*Jumps in on the dragon breed suggestion bandwagon*
Quetzalcoatlus/Pterosaur based dragon:
quetzacoatl_dragon_by_strigi_forme-d9o699n.png
Suggestions/edits wrote:
Title/name change to avoid confusion - now Pterosaur
Taarnfalk suggested a cooldown (and rarity?) Like Skydancers - Uncommon, 25 day CD
Instagram
Tumblr
tumblr_osrbsneh5V1v8lm95o3_r1_75sq.gif tumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o1_r2_250.gif
[img]http://orig09.deviantart.net/5a9a/f/2016/016/d/8/quetzal2_by_strigi_forme-d9o69av.png[/img] [center]Possible gene/colours?[/center] [img]http://orig15.deviantart.net/275f/f/2016/016/d/8/quetzal1_by_strigi_forme-d9o69a7.png[/img]
quetzal2_by_strigi_forme-d9o69av.png
Possible gene/colours?
quetzal1_by_strigi_forme-d9o69a7.png
Instagram
Tumblr
[quote]Info (based on the Ridgeback entry) - this is a long post[/quote] Quetzalcoatlus-based dragon: [b]Obtained:[/b] [i]???[/i] [b]Rarity:[/b] [i]???[/i] [b]Breeding Cooldown:[/b] [i]???[/i] [b]Diet:[/b] Meat, Seafood, ? [u][b]Overview[/b][/u] Quetzals are gigantic dragons. The breed originates from The Shattered Plain, and most of their species still calls this territory home. A small number have begun to venture out into the world, but their size and feeding mechanisms make it hard for this species to survive in other places. [b][u]Physical Attributes[/u][/b] The Quetzal is an impressive dragon, towering metres above other species. Both sexes possess a large crest on the back of their head that stops growing after maturity. They are covered in a fine, yet coarse, fur to insulate themselves when the temperature drops at night ([i]I'm treating the plain like some of the areas near our equator; hot during the day, in the minus at night[/i]). These dragons bathe in dust to keep cool during the hotter months and it is advised to keep your distance when they shake it all off - sometimes it is enough to create sandy-dust clouds which can make dragons cough and splutter. The males have a dewlap which is used in mating displays, it starts on the beak and ends on the neck and the females have a more circular crest compared to the males. Quetzals, like Mirrors, have two pairs of eyes which allow them to see during/in nearly all conditions - one pair are like regular eyes, they can detect shapes and colour, the other can see in thermal vision. These dragons will spend hours sunning themselves in the plains, and take care in preening their fur for tics and unwanted twigs, dust or whatever ends up in their fur. Quetzals are not afraid of the water, in fact, they are somewhat like gannets ([i]idk what the fr equivalent is[/i]) with their fishing routine. This is the only dragon species to walk using the knuckles of their wings, their forearms are much too short for them to be used for mobility. [u][b]Social[/b][/u] Quetzals are herding dragons which believe that nest building is a normal and necessary part of life, other dragons may disagree and believe that a good nest should only have to be built once and by one's self for that matter, never-mind a small social flock! It is common to see them roosting together because it is much easier to share warmth than to mourn for those who could not survive the cold nights. In some cases it is common for dragons to take turns as a clan to keep eggs on a nest warm. [u][b]Lairs[/b][/u] Large open plains with nest mounds are what the Quetzals prefer, lone trees nearby hold vital shade for the less adapted, hatchlings and the elders. Small stashes are dug using their long beaks to store food, trinkets and other items worthy of hoarding. Mixed-species lairs often see other dragon species moaning over the constant exposure to the outside if a Quetzal is in charge. [u][b]Tactics[/b][/u] Not an aggressive species, their size makes them gentle giants; torn wings or broken limbs can be detrimental for their survival. But if pressed into battle, a Quetzal will crash into their foe using their sharp beaks and talons to scratch and dismember their foes. It is hard to escape an enraged Quetzal, their two pairs of eyes allow them to see no matter what the conditions. Although social these giants prefer to fight alone; close formations tend to create as many damaged friends as foes.
Quote:
Info (based on the Ridgeback entry) - this is a long post
Quetzalcoatlus-based dragon:
Obtained:
???
Rarity:
???
Breeding Cooldown:
???
Diet:
Meat, Seafood, ?

Overview
Quetzals are gigantic dragons. The breed originates from The Shattered Plain, and most of their species still calls this territory home. A small number have begun to venture out into the world, but their size and feeding mechanisms make it hard for this species to survive in other places.

Physical Attributes
The Quetzal is an impressive dragon, towering metres above other species. Both sexes possess a large crest on the back of their head that stops growing after maturity. They are covered in a fine, yet coarse, fur to insulate themselves when the temperature drops at night (I'm treating the plain like some of the areas near our equator; hot during the day, in the minus at night). These dragons bathe in dust to keep cool during the hotter months and it is advised to keep your distance when they shake it all off - sometimes it is enough to create sandy-dust clouds which can make dragons cough and splutter.
The males have a dewlap which is used in mating displays, it starts on the beak and ends on the neck and the females have a more circular crest compared to the males.
Quetzals, like Mirrors, have two pairs of eyes which allow them to see during/in nearly all conditions - one pair are like regular eyes, they can detect shapes and colour, the other can see in thermal vision.
These dragons will spend hours sunning themselves in the plains, and take care in preening their fur for tics and unwanted twigs, dust or whatever ends up in their fur. Quetzals are not afraid of the water, in fact, they are somewhat like gannets (idk what the fr equivalent is) with their fishing routine.
This is the only dragon species to walk using the knuckles of their wings, their forearms are much too short for them to be used for mobility.

Social
Quetzals are herding dragons which believe that nest building is a normal and necessary part of life, other dragons may disagree and believe that a good nest should only have to be built once and by one's self for that matter, never-mind a small social flock! It is common to see them roosting together because it is much easier to share warmth than to mourn for those who could not survive the cold nights. In some cases it is common for dragons to take turns as a clan to keep eggs on a nest warm.

Lairs
Large open plains with nest mounds are what the Quetzals prefer, lone trees nearby hold vital shade for the less adapted, hatchlings and the elders. Small stashes are dug using their long beaks to store food, trinkets and other items worthy of hoarding. Mixed-species lairs often see other dragon species moaning over the constant exposure to the outside if a Quetzal is in charge.

Tactics
Not an aggressive species, their size makes them gentle giants; torn wings or broken limbs can be detrimental for their survival. But if pressed into battle, a Quetzal will crash into their foe using their sharp beaks and talons to scratch and dismember their foes. It is hard to escape an enraged Quetzal, their two pairs of eyes allow them to see no matter what the conditions. Although social these giants prefer to fight alone; close formations tend to create as many damaged friends as foes.
Instagram
Tumblr
aaaannnnd I think that's everything!
(keeping this as a reserved post just in case!)

((also really sorry if this seems like I'm ignoring art commissions, this is what I've been doing to try to get my tablet/laptop to work again))
aaaannnnd I think that's everything!
(keeping this as a reserved post just in case!)

((also really sorry if this seems like I'm ignoring art commissions, this is what I've been doing to try to get my tablet/laptop to work again))
Instagram
Tumblr
Coatls are already kind of based on quetzalcoatls, so even with a distinctive design I don't think the name would work without causing more confusion than its worth XD
Coatls are already kind of based on quetzalcoatls, so even with a distinctive design I don't think the name would work without causing more confusion than its worth XD
@Chespin - I know that Coatls are based on the mythological Quetzalcoatl, I just didn't know what to call this breed other than what they're based on >.<"

Maybe I'll change the title to Pterosaur Dragon?
@Chespin - I know that Coatls are based on the mythological Quetzalcoatl, I just didn't know what to call this breed other than what they're based on >.<"

Maybe I'll change the title to Pterosaur Dragon?
Instagram
Tumblr
I was originally going to decline this idea, but I have since changed my mind...

While I love wyverns, it sorta pains me to know there's a good chance they'll never appear on the site; given that all breeds need 4 limbs along with their wings and tail for apparel reasons.

When I saw the design at first; I was about to sigh and just decline it because I thought it was just a typical wyvern-like design and was lacking forelimbs; but I noticed just before typing this that you actually implemented tiny arms between the wings.

As such, I am in full support of this; as this is likely the closest we'll get to an actual wyvern if this is actually implemented. Not to mention; the design is just amazing and honors its base creature very nicely.
I was originally going to decline this idea, but I have since changed my mind...

While I love wyverns, it sorta pains me to know there's a good chance they'll never appear on the site; given that all breeds need 4 limbs along with their wings and tail for apparel reasons.

When I saw the design at first; I was about to sigh and just decline it because I thought it was just a typical wyvern-like design and was lacking forelimbs; but I noticed just before typing this that you actually implemented tiny arms between the wings.

As such, I am in full support of this; as this is likely the closest we'll get to an actual wyvern if this is actually implemented. Not to mention; the design is just amazing and honors its base creature very nicely.
g9YXQbU.gifwpEE9mo.pngg9YXQbU.gif
@RugaQwarrcall
Thank you for the compliment!
I was a bit worried I had made the forelimbs too small but I couldn't picture them any other way (also I like the idea of them having tiny little t-Rex arms).

(Okay when I first read your post I just imagined someone going "ugh, only 4 limbs what is this newb? No suppor- wait! Tiny little arms?!! Yes sUPPORT!!")
@RugaQwarrcall
Thank you for the compliment!
I was a bit worried I had made the forelimbs too small but I couldn't picture them any other way (also I like the idea of them having tiny little t-Rex arms).

(Okay when I first read your post I just imagined someone going "ugh, only 4 limbs what is this newb? No suppor- wait! Tiny little arms?!! Yes sUPPORT!!")
Instagram
Tumblr
Ah I've actually been wanting a pterosaur dragons! I do think it might be less awkward though (even if it's not true to life) to have the arms come from the second joint (basically split at the elbow). Also talk about a cool opportunity to pull genes onto the crest: [img]https://archosaurmusings.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/rey-crests3.jpg[/img] [img]http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo/_new/080929_Science_pterodactyl.grid-6x2.jpg[/img] Edit: Could also be cool to pull in fantasy elements? Maybe have them be a semi-aquatic breed? Imagine crests like this with jellyfish tentacles as deadly ornamentation. [img]http://whyquantumphysicists.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/man-of-war.jpg[/img]
Ah I've actually been wanting a pterosaur dragons! I do think it might be less awkward though (even if it's not true to life) to have the arms come from the second joint (basically split at the elbow).

Also talk about a cool opportunity to pull genes onto the crest:

rey-crests3.jpg

080929_Science_pterodactyl.grid-6x2.jpg

Edit: Could also be cool to pull in fantasy elements? Maybe have them be a semi-aquatic breed? Imagine crests like this with jellyfish tentacles as deadly ornamentation.

man-of-war.jpg
HdmxfuE.png
KYSFCiZ.png
eswSnrS.png
yQ62HIx.png
Need a Light nest?

Always happy to host for food / junk apparel / Baldwin
materials when I have space!
LOR2.png
@marropo
!!!!!!
Yes I wanted the genes to be displayed on the crest (kinda like I showed with glimmer?)
In terms of arm/wing placement i based it on the Nocs where arms and wings come at the same shoulder joint, and I'm not sure how apparel would work if there was an elbow limb split?
And yes, siphonophore heads!/hats! That would be interesting to try and implement
@marropo
!!!!!!
Yes I wanted the genes to be displayed on the crest (kinda like I showed with glimmer?)
In terms of arm/wing placement i based it on the Nocs where arms and wings come at the same shoulder joint, and I'm not sure how apparel would work if there was an elbow limb split?
And yes, siphonophore heads!/hats! That would be interesting to try and implement
Instagram
Tumblr
1 2 3 4 5